Another View Point- | The Boneyard

Another View Point-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
If Warde came to his senses and gave Ollie and extension a wk before they left for Germany, do the kids dig as deep as they did yesterday and win?

Don't forget what the stairs/escalator motto means. No quick fixes or solutions. If we lose a game were not supposed to, does that mean no extension? You have to be 10 toes in, on Ollie as the New Face of UConn. Fans seem to be, I have pro Ollie posts that make me look like a basketball genius, & now we need Warde to decide. He will, when politics favor his own skin in the game. Keeping these kids hungry, fighting for Ollie's dream, us against the world, taking the stairs, will get a lot of miles out of this team. Be patient. Yesterday, was a Huge step in the right direction!

Reaction Score
I think that Warde is the one we will end up evaluating.

Kevin Ollie knows what he is doing. I am still not sure if Warde gets that this isn't Buffalo.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They're kids. They may play for their coach at some point in their career, or at some point in a season. But it's doubtful Ollie's future was on their minds in the first game of his first season.

A couple more games like this and Warde will be itching to sign Ollie before his stock rises too far.

If Warde came to his senses and gave Ollie and extension a wk before they left for Germany, do the kids dig as deep as they did yesterday and win?

Don't forget what the stairs/escalator motto means. No quick fixes or solutions. If we lose a game were not supposed to, does that mean no extension? You have to be 10 toes in, on Ollie as the New Face of UConn. Fans seem to be, I have pro Ollie posts that make me look like a basketball genius, & now we need Warde to decide. He will, when politics favor his own skin in the game. Keeping these kids hungry, fighting for Ollie's dream, us against the world, taking the stairs, will get a lot of miles out of this team. Be patient. Yesterday, was a Huge step in the right direction!

Reaction Score

Yes.

I don't buy this for a second that Manuel is helping to motivate the team. Quite frankly, it's sordid. These kids are there for their careers and their families. The idea that you would put any pressure on them in this regard is wrong. I feel the same way about testing kids to save their teacher's jobs. What the hell is in it for them?

Reaction Score
PE-TOOWEY!!!!!!!! I spit on his Gucci loafers. I think the kids play as hard as they can for KO every game this year- we will lose some stinkers- but I think KO has done a great job bringing them back to the "magic" of the season before last.

You can not place enough value on team chemistry and AO and RS not being there anymore to "drag down" the other players with their constant bitching has gone a long way toward this W. Just goes to show ya- you do not have to have the most talent - just the best team. I think that is why some of these mid-majors have been making deep runs in the NCAAs in recent years- solid team efforts where everyone knows there role.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
PE-TOOWEY!!!!!!!! I spit on his Gucci loafers. I think the kids play as hard as they can for KO every game this year- we will lose some stinkers- but I think KO has done a great job bringing them back to the "magic" of the season before last.

You can not place enough value on team chemistry and AO and RS not being there anymore to "drag down" the other players with their constant bitching has gone a long way toward this W. Just goes to show ya- you do not have to have the most talent - just the best team. I think that is why some of these mid-majors have been making deep runs in the NCAAs in recent years- solid team efforts where everyone knows there role.
I agree. Addition by subtraction. The one player I wish had stayed was Bradley because we never got to see if he was a player or not. Maybe he could've been the rebounding presence we need this season.

Reaction Score
I think that Warde is the one we will end up evaluating.

Kevin Ollie knows what he is doing. I am still not sure if Warde gets that this isn't Buffalo.
That must have been some game to watch live. Hopefully you can share some pics of the game. Did you get to meet the players after?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't buy this for a second that Manuel is helping to motivate the team. Quite frankly, it's sordid. These kids are there for their careers and their families. The idea that you would put any pressure on them in this regard is wrong. I feel the same way about testing kids to save their teacher's jobs. What the hell is in it for them?
I hope kids are primarily playing for themselves, but human nature has multiple reasons for motivation. Heck some kids take up sports or careers because of a parent's demand rather than kid pursuing the thing they would prefer. And many, if not all of the people this game was dedicated, do their job for the abstract purpose of "love of country". Losing a limb or worse is not an act that is done with consideration of self only.

So it isn't a stretch to think that one or more of the players had a primary or secondary motivation to perform for either KO, JC or both.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

It certainly can't be ruled out as one of the possibilities for playing hard. There is no way to measure how much various things influence our motivation. Suffice it to say there are probably a few players that have multiple chips on their shoulders this season that are contributing to their desire to do well:

The post season bans which these kids had nothing to do with and which was nothing more than a vendetta by Emmert towards JC.
The defection of some players.
The defection of some universities changing the landscape of the BE.
The loss of a coach (JC) whom at least a few have to feel was driven out prematurely.
A coach (KO) whom they really like.
A contract they perceive as unfair.

But hopefully the greatest motivator for them is the game itself and their desire to maximize their potential.

Reaction Score
Based on how Ollie made sure his players were with him during that post game interview and insisted the win was all about his players and for the UConn program, I have no doubt that these kids are playing their hearts out for their coach and one another.

There is no room in the culture KO has developed for a me-first-attitude. That type of thinking will get assed kicked right away, if not by KO, but by one of the veteran players.

I think we're in for a special season. It's just one game. Some teams will be able to exploit their weaknesses, but I expect them to overcome most nights with their grit, team play, and their ability to impose their will and finish games.

That ending reminded me so much of those close games from 2 years ago. Big plays would be made during winning time (i.e. last 3 to 4 minutes of the game) and even when they didn't do it on the offensive end, they'd find a way to get the stop(s) they needed to walk away with the W.

This program continues to make us proud to be Husky fans. I woudn't want any other coach on the sidelines other than KO. Shaka Shmaka, Even Stevens...we'll all find out what JC already knew. They or any other coach who's name has come up can't hold a candle to Keven Ollie. He's the right man to lead UConn into the future.

Reaction Score
I hope kids are primarily playing for themselves, but human nature has multiple reasons for motivation. Heck some kids take up sports or careers because of a parent's demand rather than kid pursuing the thing they would prefer. And many, if not all of the people this game was dedicated, do their job for the abstract purpose of "love of country". Losing a limb or worse is not an act that is done with consideration of self only.

So it isn't a stretch to think that one or more of the players had a primary or secondary motivation to perform for either KO, JC or both.

I wasn't referring to whether or not kids DO play for their coach. I was referring to the idea that anyone would expect that of them. I was referring to the expectations.

Reaction Score
That must have been some game to watch live. Hopefully you can share some pics of the game. Did you get to meet the players after?

Yes, my pictures are terrible though. Most of the good ones are on my friend's camera.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I wasn't referring to whether or not kids DO play for their coach. I was referring to the idea that anyone would expect that of them. I was referring to the expectations.
Gotcha.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I wish Manuel gave him a longer-term deal right off the bat, but I haven't been wringing my hands about it, because I believe that Manuel wants Ollie to succeed (and will evaluate him not on a purely W-L basis). And I believe that it's obvious now.

Again, I wish Manuel gave KO a multi-year deal, but you have to at least understand Manuel's position that he should have a chance to evaluate KO, a first-time head coach. He's already made some comments about watching Ollie at practices and obviously last night was a smashing success, in all respects. I'm sure Manuel's evaluation of Ollie is glowing so far. I don't think he looks like a pushover or rash if he extends Ollie a few games into the season. Hopefully he feels the same way.

As far as the original point, I think these kids are ten toes in, no matter what. You can't give more than 100% and I think Ollie will always get that from these kids -- and if he doesn't, the offender will be sitting on the bench.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I wish Manuel gave him a longer-term deal right off the bat, but I haven't been wringing my hands about it, because I believe that Manuel wants Ollie to succeed (and will evaluate him not on a purely W-L basis). And I believe that it's obvious now.

Again, I wish Manuel gave KO a multi-year deal, but you have to at least understand Manuel's position that he should have a chance to evaluate KO, a first-time head coach. He's already made some comments about watching Ollie at practices and obviously last night was a smashing success, in all respects. I'm sure Manuel's evaluation of Ollie is glowing so far. I don't think he looks like a pushover or rash if he extends Ollie a few games into the season. Hopefully he feels the same way.

As far as the original point, I think these kids are ten toes in, no matter what. You can't give more than 100% and I think Ollie will always get that from these kids -- and if he doesn't, the offender will be sitting on the bench.
I just wrote something similar in another post: There was a bind whichever way Manuel chose. Take the extreme outcomes that were hypothetically possible in September:

If he gave the three year contract and KO was lousy, WM's career as an AD would be seriously impacted, the program would be set back at least two years and UConn fans and alumni would be screaming about his decision including those who wanted Ollie.

If he gave the 7 month contract and KO proved to be an excellent coach, the men's bb program would be set back one or two years because of the impact on recruiting and UConn fans and alumni would be screaming including those who did not want Ollie.

I get the impression WM bears no animosity about the KO development that unfolded prior to the start of this season. And I don't get the impression he has an adversarial relationship with JC from what I've observed watching the interaction of the two men in the exhibition games and the MSU game. Having a disagreement about the KO contract does not indicate the relationship is rocky like it was between JC and Hathaway. Personally I advocated the position JC advocated. I felt and still do there were more positives than negatives with giving KO a three year contract from the start. But I'm not going to throw WM under the bus because his decision differed from mine.

My impression is that the MSU game really helps WM have a consensus of support with fans and alumni and if KO can continue to show the same type of results, he will offer an extended contract pretty quickly. So those of us who want KO long term, let's hope the success continues over the next two weeks allowing WM to pull the trigger.

Reaction Score
Yes, my pictures are terrible though. Most of the good ones are on my friend's camera.
I saw your thread about the game. Thnk you for that. And thank you for your service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom