Another recruit crosses Tenn off their list | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another recruit crosses Tenn off their list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
a bunch of hating and bad sportsmanship is not good you dont have to like every team but hating them and hoping for bad to happen wow thats just great sportsmanship isnt it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tennessee just landed the number one player in the country and the only teams that have knocked them out of the tournament the last couple of years has been 6'8 griner
Really? Louisville doesn't start a player over 6'2" and they handled Tennessee easily last year.

Reaction Score
louisville knocked off baylor and made it all the way to the national championship i believe 2 out of the past 4 years

Reaction Score
who expected tennessee to even be in the elite 8 at the beginning of the year after losing 5 seniors and a hall of fame coach. Having a first year head coach who has never been a head coach before and win the sec and make it to the elite 8. Some teams can only dream of making it that far

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think the point is that Tennessee isn't a"top" team anymore. They haven't made a final four in five years. WCBB is different than MCBB, there are really a handful of top teams and the tournament isn't exactly up for grabs as it is on the men's side. For Tennessee to not make the Final Four is pretty indicative that the program is slipping a bit. Of course, they are still a top ten program, but they aren't the clear number one or number two program that they were in the 90s and early 00s.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
who expected tennessee to even be in the elite 8 at the beginning of the year after losing 5 seniors and a hall of fame coach. Having a first year head coach who has never been a head coach before and win the sec and make it to the elite 8. Some teams can only dream of making it that far

But Tennessee has a roster full of high school AAs. If they didn't make it to the Elite 8 it would be stunning, with that roster.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
so louisville is a bad team?
louisville knocked off baylor and made it all the way to the national championship i believe 2 out of the past 4 years
Honestly I'm not sure who you are referring to but I assume me since I replied to your erroneous comment about Tennessee "only" losing to 6'8" Griner and Baylor the last several years in the NCAA's. Additionally, L'ville has made only 2 final 4's and those 2 years they went to the NC game, but once was in 2009 where the lost to UCONN, and the 2nd was in 2013 where they lost to us again.

Last year the final 4 was Baylor, ND, Stanford, and UCONN. Baylor beat ND in the NC game. Anyway, I'm also not sure of the points you are trying to make. Obviously discussions go off topic fairly frequently in threads, but I'm having a seriously hard time following your logic...

And by the way, Tennessee didn't lose 5 seniors. Last year they lost Spani and Williams. The year before, Manning, Stricklen, Johnson and Baugh. In fact, they haven't lost 5 seniors since maybe ever. I think that's the most in recent memory, unless you count Parker, Hornbuckle, and Anosike as well.

Most agree this coming year, UCONN is far and away the #1 team, and Duke is #2. Tennessee is somewhere between 3-7 depending on who you ask. I'd put them at #4-5 to start the season behind ND, Maryland, and either Stanford or Louisville.

Reaction Score
Yes tennessee is indeed needing to making it to a final four again. Now with Griner gone and skylar diggins gone i believe uconn is the only team left up at the top for this upcoming year to win another national championship but i really see the number two spot going back and fourth throughout the year

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yes tennessee is indeed needing to making it to a final four again. Now with Griner gone and skylar diggins gone i believe uconn is the only team left up at the top for this upcoming year to win another national championship but i really see the number two spot going back and fourth throughout the year

And....?

Reaction Score
The only thing really holding tennessee back the past couple of years has been griner and diggins and both of them have also beat uconn too. Besides louisville who beat a very young tennessee team and after being pumped up out of their minds after beating baylor and just continuing to just be on fire and finally just ran out of gas at the end.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Tennessee lost 8 games last year, including games against Chattanooga and Mizzou. They didn't just lose to Griner and ND. The year before they lost to UVA, Arkansas, Vanaderbilt, and South Carolina. If you are talking about 2010-2011, then yes, they only lost to Baylor and ND. But you are leaving out a few key stats with that assumption.

Reaction Score
Every team cannot go undefeated every single year. For example The north carolina mens basketball team does not win national championships every year and they have some losses too. But at the end of the day its still NORTH CAROLINA and they are always going to be considered at the top of the game.

Reaction Score
Just like duke mens basketball teams lose sometimes to teams that they should not lose to for example lehigh and that does not make duke no good or not a top team anymore. There still duke. Teams do not get the chance to play north carolina mens basketball or duke mens basketball everyday. and tennessee womens basketball team so the team that beats these teams play out of the minds and are just playing like they have never played before making shots they have usually do not make.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Again, I'm not really sure what your point is. Tennessee's decline has been pretty well documented since 2008. They aren't getting the same caliber recruits that they used to, and when they do they don't seem to achieve much with them. Men's college basketball isn't comparable IMO to WCBB because there is so much more turnover. Look at UK two years ago compared with last year...they didn't even make the tournament after winning the year before. WCBB is a much different game; if Breanna Stewart were in the men's game, she would have been gone after her freshman season.

So it will be harder for Tennessee to stay relevant in this day and age without consistently getting top recruits, and without the coaching that Summit provided. Look at programs like Old Dominion, Louisiana Tech...even Texas and Texas Tech.

You said more than a few times that it was only ND and Baylor holding them back...well, I don't really see how that's true. They lost to those teams in the tournament, yes, but they also lost enough games in the regular season to lower their seed and increase the likelihood of playing the top teams. Baylor only won one championship with the most dominant player in WCBB history, so it's not as if they were completely unbeatable. If Tennessee was going to make it to a Final Four, last year was their best shot. Louisville was hot, yes, but UConn completely dismantled them.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Tennessee was so dominant because they had one of the best coaches of all time. It remains to be seen what will happen now that she's gone. The same thing could happen at Duke if Coach K leaves, heck, it could happen at UConn when Geno retires. Just because the program has a history of success doesn't guarantee success in the future. Again, look at Old Dominion and La Tech.

Reaction Score
Old Dominion and La Tech have never had a strong conference. Tennessee is in the SEC come on now. The sec is the best of the best just like the big east is the best of the best. Tennessee will still be tennessee always and uconn will always be uconn. the two most dominant programs in history. Tennessee just landed the top recruit in the nation to go along with bashaara graves down low. what team wouldnt want to have mercedes russell 6'6 and bashaara graves 6'2 #1 and #5 player overall in there class playing down low. to go along with massengale and cierra burdick #3 and #4 players in there class. and meighan simmons i reallly dont see recruiting going down at all still right up there with all the top teams

Reaction Score
downward spiral.... you act like there old dominion or something or louisiana tech

Don't pay any attention to those who are questioning your basketball knowledge. I think you're on to something here.

Reaction Score
jscott, you are talking about graves, massengale and burdick like they are world beaters.... they haven't shown much, though I would agree they are talented.... they really haven't separated themselves to show they belong at the next level..... and Simmons.... she is absolutely not a solid player..... too inconsistent and always is looking to shoot rather than be a playmaker. The game in the tournament they lost to Louisville was really telling...... they had absolutely no heart!! No championship fire...... and the year before when they lost almost the whole class of seniors.... those seniors were highly touted coming out of high school....all top 20 recruits.... and they never made it to one single Final Four...and that was WITH Pat Summitt!

Mercedes was the top recruit in the country on paper.... but let's see how she does..... maybe she can be dominant.... but maybe not.... Tennessee has a ways to go to make it back to where they were..... Holly did a decent job last year I thought..... but it needs to improve in Knoxville. Tennessee is no longer feared on the schedule for SEC and other opponents.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At this rate jscott will pass my post total by the middle of next week although his or her word count will be falling significantly short.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
At this rate jscott will pass my post total by the middle of next week although his or her word count will be falling significantly short.

He/she appears to be saving all of their punctuation and capitalization for a future date, too.:oops:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
im just a fan of basketball i dont get into all the extra bs that goes along with it sometimes im a fan of all teams i like uconn and i like tenn

Didn't you get the memo? This is a UConn fan message board

Reaction Score
What happened to Tennessee was Maya Moore chose UConn. When the Vols got Parker, Holdsclaw, et al, they were great. There are only a few REAL difference makers in all of women's basketball. UConn has been landing them (DT, SB, Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Delle Donne, Stewart, the list goes on) and there are not enough others to really supply other schools.

Interestingly, Holly did seem to make an effort to hire great recruiters as assistants to turn the tide. They spent a lot of money to hire the one assistant away from Kentucky. The biggest problem is that when you miss on one of the very few true franchise players, there likely isn't another one readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom