Another recruit crosses Tenn off their list | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another recruit crosses Tenn off their list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
What happened to Tennessee was Maya Moore chose UConn. When the Vols got Parker, Holdsclaw, et al, they were great. There are only a few REAL difference makers in all of women's basketball. UConn has been landing them (DT, SB, Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Delle Donne, Stewart, the list goes on) and there are not enough others to really supply other schools.

Interestingly, Holly did seem to make an effort to hire great recruiters as assistants to turn the tide. They spent a lot of money to hire the one assistant away from Kentucky. The biggest problem is that when you miss on one of the very few true franchise players, there likely isn't another one readily available.

Well, a franchise player is indeed something to Stew(sorry DD) about.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, Holly did seem to make an effort to hire great recruiters as assistants to turn the tide.

Well, so far Holly's efforts do not seem to be paying off. To date she has only got three recruits to commit to her program, and one of those, Mercedes Russell is a player who grew up watching the Pat Summitt teams and as a result "always wanted to be a LV", so I am not giving Coach Warlock too much credit. And 2015 recruit Alexa Middleton from TN, committed to the LV's in large part because of "how close it was to home so my family can come see me". So it's not like Holly had to do a big sell job on her.

Personally, it is my belief that many of the top recruiting are tentatively shying away from the LV's until Holly and her staff can prove they can develop and coach a championship caliber team. So far they failed on a major opportunity to get back to the Final Four after their biggest roadblock to the FF, Baylor, got upset...but then the LV's choked big time against Louisville in the Regional Final, thereby extending their streak of consecutive seasons not appearing in the Final Four to FIVE, and in the process essentially relinquished their "elite program" status.

And to make matters worse for the LV faithful, after this season UConn will own the most number of National Championships and thereby officially THE best women's basketball program of ALL-TIME!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well, so far Holly's efforts do not seem to be paying off. So far she has only got three recruits to commit to her program, and one of those, Mercedes Russell is a player who grew up watching the Pat Summitt teams and as a result "always wanted to be a LV", so I am not giving Coach Warlock too much credit. And 2015 recruit Alexa Middleton from TN, committed to the LV's in large part because of "how close it was to home so my family can come see me".

Personally, it is my belief that many of the top recruiting are tentatively shying away from the LV's until Holly and her staff can prove they can develop and coach a championship caliber team. So far they failed on a major opportunity to get back to the Final Four after their biggest ro to the FF, Baylor, got upset...but then the LV's choked against Louisville in the Regional Final, thereby extending their streak of consecutive seasons not appearing in the Final Four to FIVE, and in the process basically relinquished their "elite program" status.

And to make matters worse for the LV faithful, after this season UConn will own the most number of National Championships and thereby officially THE best women's basketball program of ALL-TIME!!
Well, the LV fans feel that Middleton is one of the top 3 guards in the class and should be rated much higher (yawn). They say that she's "outplayed" most everyone ranked ahead of her. Ummm... Ok. But they also think they are right in there with Wilson, Nared, Green, and White - all top 15 recruits from 2014, and they also think they have a great shot at Durr as well as several others from that class. Additionally, I think there are several top kids in future classes from Tennessee, and their logic dictates that those kids have dreamed of wearing orange as well.

However, to be fair, they did land Russell, who as #1 kids go is probably going to be more like a Kelsey Bone player rather than a Griner/Stewie/Moore etc. type of impact player. But that's just my observation based on her less than dominating performances on all the USA National teams she's played for. She might surprise me and develop into something really special. Then again, find me a top rated post player NOT named Parker that the Tennessee staff turned into something special...

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Many teams would consider a recruiting class consisting of Russell alone to he be their greatest ever recruiting class ever, so I think it is a bit early to be writing Holly off. While they aren't the TN of the 90's, they aren't (yet) La Tech or ODU.

Reaction Score
Well, the LV fans feel that Middleton is one of the top 3 guards in the class and should be rated much higher (yawn). They say that she's "outplayed" most everyone ranked ahead of her. Ummm... Ok. But they also think they are right in there with Wilson, Nared, Green, and White - all top 15 recruits from 2014, and they also think they have a great shot at Durr as well as several others from that class. Additionally, I think there are several top kids in future classes from Tennessee, and their logic dictates that those kids have dreamed of wearing orange as well.

However, to be fair, they did land Russell, who as #1 kids go is probably going to be more like a Kelsey Bone player rather than a Griner/Stewie/Moore etc. type of impact player. But that's just my observation based on her less than dominating performances on all the USA National teams she's played for. She might surprise me and develop into something really special. Then again, find me a top rated post player NOT named Parker that the Tennessee staff turned into something special...

Well, until they start signing some other elite recruits from states besides OR and TN, all the thoughts of LV fans can only be categorized as "wishful thinking"...which also describes their fantasy of the LV's winning the NC in Nashville this season. How about trying to make the Final Four first, and then calling it a good season because UConn will own Nashville come April 8th!

Shout out to Orange007 ;)

Reaction Score
Many teams would consider a recruiting class consisting of Russell alone to he be their greatest ever recruiting class ever, so I think it is a bit early to be writing Holly off. While they aren't the TN of the 90's, they aren't (yet) La Tech or ODU.

Not writing her off, just not willing to automatically concede she is a success yet. She inherited a solid team and ton of built-in advantages. The proof is in the pudding, which at present, taste very bland in LV land.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members