Angel Reese in the portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese in the portal

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
IMHO she is not a good fit for UCONN. This has nothing to do with her skills: one of the best offensive rebounders in the country, good shot blocker, good handle for a big, willing passer and a great motor. It's about the lack of discipline and the lack of maturity on the court and the bench. If she can't play for Brenda she can't play for Geno (unless she is looking to be coached harder and I don't think that is the case).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We have enough guards. We need some BIGS
For those who have failed to actually look at next years roster.

We have

1/2/3 spots - The Kid, Fudd, Muhl, CFD (that's 4 for 3 spots)

4/5 spots - Edwards, Juhasz, Griffin, DeBerry, Brady, Patterson, Gabriel (that's 7 for 2 spots)

Yea, we are probably going to have to use Griffin or Patterson or ??? at the 3 spot some. Which isn't really ideal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMHO she is not a good fit for UCONN. This has nothing to do with her skills: one of the best offensive rebounders in the country, good shot blocker, good handle for a big, willing passer and a great motor. It's about the lack of discipline and the lack of maturity on the court and the bench. If she can't play for Brenda she can't play for Geno (unless she is looking to be coached harder and I don't think that is the case).
You may be right. The only caution I would make is that some of the same criticisms were made about Evina at TN, and we all now know that Evina turned out to be a wonderful addition to UConn WBB. So when it comes to Reese, we have to ask ourselves is it the kid or the coach?

Brenda has lost a lot of really talented players through the years. Shakira Austin at MS may be this year’s top draft pick in the W, and by all accounts she was a great teammate and leader at Ole Miss.

Reaction Score
I saw some of this in her first year...and not so much since. If she wanted to play for UCONN...I'd take her if I had to fit her in my carry-on luggage. You have a single player that checks off multiple needs and more importantly elevates an already really good team. She can get chirpy, but UCONN needs players that will not back down....ever.

Reaction Score
As a fan I hate to see a player transfer but I understand why they do. According to the US Department of Education 25% of students enrolled in a four year school will transfer sometime and yet some on here suggest that athletes should not have the same privilege. There are many reasons students transfer and I would think being a division 1 athlete exposes one to more reasons to transfer. The NCAA only allows one transfer without sitting out so I don’t see any athletes shopping their talents from year to year. Sure it could lead to some super teams but in reality I do not see that happening often if at all. If an athlete is unhappy with their situation I am all for them being allowed to pursue “greener pastures” just as any other student can.

JBK

Reaction Score
For those who have failed to actually look at next years roster.

We have

1/2/3 spots - The Kid, Fudd, Muhl, CFD (that's 4 for 3 spots)

4/5 spots - Edwards, Juhasz, Griffin, DeBerry, Brady, Patterson, Gabriel (that's 7 for 2 spots)

Yea, we are probably going to have to use Griffin or Patterson or ??? at the 3 spot some. Which isn't really ideal.
Agree.
But unless the freshman are really talented and Aubrey is healthy and our existing players get much better than, this lineup is may not be good enough.
I know our players may improve as well.
I really do not like when Geno cuts himself short by saying -
All the years I won ( except maybe one) I always hand the best team — the most talent going into the finals.
The Princeton of the world and the men’s game prove that coaching and experience can beat talent. I.e Duke.

Reaction Score
I miss the old days when receiving a $100.000, 4 year full scholarship for a "FREE" education meant something to a student athlete ...........
It still does mean something to a lot of kids. It's unfair to paint the majority of athletes with this brush. We won't know all the reasons for why they transfer.

Yes, some will be doing it for what we believe are selfish reasons, others are taking advantage of the system which I have no issue with. If you can get your masters by leveraging the COVID year if it's offered to you, why not?

And if we look at the numbers, estimating 1000 athletes in the portal (yes I know it will likely be higher), that's about 20% of all athletes in D1. This means 80% will remain with their program. This is no different than transferring stats for non-scholarship students.

Reaction Score
Agree.
But unless the freshman are really talented and Aubrey is healthy and our existing players get much better than, this lineup is may not be good enough.
I know our players may improve as well.
I really do not like when Geno cuts himself short by saying -
All the years I won ( except maybe one) I always hand the best team — the most talent going into the finals.
The Princeton of the world and the men’s game prove that coaching and experience can beat talent. I.e Duke.
I also wouldn't lock players like Brady, Patterson, Aubrey, and Edwards into just the 4 and 5 categories. They can play the 3 too....just closer to the basket. Brady even further out. She has a smooth jumper. And Ducharme can play 2,3 or 4 in my opinion. I hope the days of just playing 6 to 7 players regularly is over. You need more versatility because opponents are more versatile.

Reaction Score
It still does mean something to a lot of kids. It's unfair to paint the majority of athletes with this brush. We won't know all the reasons for why they transfer.

Yes, some will be doing it for what we believe are selfish reasons, others are taking advantage of the system which I have no issue with. If you can get your masters by leveraging the COVID year if it's offered to you, why not?

And if we look at the numbers, estimating 1000 athletes in the portal (yes I know it will likely be higher), that's about 20% of all athletes in D1. This means 80% will remain with their program. This is no different than transferring stats for non-scholarship students.
Yeah, I understand that and appreciate your post. I'm just wishing for days that are long gone........:)

Reaction Score
Of all the top WBB programs in the country, MD was the biggest disappointment imo. A year ago the Terps “high octane” offense lead the nation in scoring. When everyone on the team decided to come back, I thought MD had a legitimate chance to challenge the Big 3 (SC, Stanford, UConn) for the national championship.

Covid and injuries hurt MD, like many teams, but the losses piled up even when the team was relatively healthy. At 23-9 MD took a big step backwards this season, and the recent departures clearly indicate that serious problems exist in the program.
gotta play solid defense to win those tough games

Reaction Score
Eh, there are only so many spots and Reese has an unorthodox game. I wouldn't put a ton into that. DeBerry made a US team but was overmatched in the tourney and barely played her freshman year.
do you Geno would be interested in Reese? I don't know if she would be willing to play in the structured UConn offensive system.........

Reaction Score
We have enough guards. We need some BIGS
All guards are not equal in terms of the role they play. Regarding point guards, those that set up the offense, we have Paige and Muhl. We saw what happened when one, then both, went out due to injuries. We also saw the dramatic improvement that took place when Muhl came back. Unless you expect both Paige and Muhl to play every game next year, another point guard would be ideal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I also wouldn't lock players like Brady, Patterson, Aubrey, and Edwards into just the 4 and 5 categories. They can play the 3 too....just closer to the basket. Brady even further out. She has a smooth jumper. And Ducharme can play 2,3 or 4 in my opinion. I hope the days of just playing 6 to 7 players regularly is over. You need more versatility because opponents are more versatile.
But we don't want to do that. You can't spread the floor with 3 people in the paint. Ideally you need at least 3, 3pt threats on the floor.

UCONN plays mostly 3 out and 4 out motion offenses. You need 3 or 4 out to do that. Never heard of a 2 out 3 in motion offense.

This year you usually had 3 or 4 of The Kid, Fudd, Williams, Muhl, Westbrook, CFD. We'll be missing Williams and Westbrook. with no replacement...so far.

Reaction Score
But we don't want to do that. You can't spread the floor with 3 people in the paint. Ideally you need at least 3, 3pt threats on the floor.

UCONN plays mostly 3 out and 4 out motion offenses. You need 3 or 4 out to do that. Never heard of a 2 out 3 in motion offense.

This year you usually had 3 or 4 of The Kid, Fudd, Williams, Muhl, Westbrook, CFD. We'll be missing Williams and Westbrook. with no replacement...so far.
By play closer to the basket...I mean SCORE closer to the basket. Most 3s these days like the short jumper. That's fine, but there's nothing wrong with a dribble-drive from that same position. Jumpers don't pressure defenses like drives. They also don't get you to the foul line. Paint threats only make it better for perimeter shooters. If teams aren't helping in the paint..then guess where they are? In the face of your shooters.

Let me point out something in the last game. Who came in and started scoring close to the basket? Caroline, on back cuts from the wing. From what position? The 3. The offense did not change. Her reads changed. Same offense.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
By play closer to the basket...I mean SCORE closer to the basket. Most 3s these days like the short jumper. That's fine, but there's nothing wrong with a dribble-drive from that same position. Jumpers don't pressure defenses like drives. They also don't get you to the foul line. Paint threats only make it better for perimeter shooters. If teams aren't helping in the paint..then guess where they are? In the face of your shooters.
Agree we could use more drives. However, it's hard to drive to the basket when the floor is not spread out and there are too many people in the lane.

I said "threat". You don't necessarily have to shoot the 3s but the threat needs to be there so defenders get out of the lane to defend out to the perimeter. Then that allows dribble drives and post ups and drives and kick outs.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I understand that and appreciate your post. I'm just wishing for days that are long gone........:)
I hear you, but the same could be said about coaches leaving at the pace they are. Contract extensions mean nothing from what I've seen the last few years.

Reaction Score
gotta play solid defense to win those tough games
I sometimes wonder if Maryland's sizable discrepancy between their offensive and defensive ratings isn't somewhat by design. What I mean by that is different schools acquire a certain identity that affects their recruiting. SC might be considered a favorite for bigs because of previous success of Wilson and Boston, Uconn has more of a reputation with guards, some teams play mostly zone, some grind it out, others run and gun etc.

By clearly favoring offense over defense and a fast tempo offense at that, Maryland has a recruiting niche for a certain type of player. I mean if you don't care much about defense, don't want to be constrained by an offensive system, and want to go where you can put up big numbers, then that type of player might naturally put Maryland near the top of their list.

It is a marketing pitch that will gather a number of talented athletes pretty consistently, and be among the offensive leaders every year, and on occasion be a national title threat, but also be teams where the final product comes up short of the sum of the parts. It may not be the best strategy to pursue a national championship, but they have distinguished themselves as being different in that way and for some potential recruits those differences are an advantage.

Reaction Score
Agree we could use more drives. However, it's hard to drive to the basket when the floor is not spread out and there are too many people in the lane.

I said "threat". You don't necessarily have to shoot the 3s but the threat needs to be there so defenders get out of the lane to defend out to the perimeter. Then that allows dribble drives and post ups and drives and kick outs.
You don't always need to dribble, just cut. Edwards just read her cut and passed it to her.

Reaction Score
I hear you, but the same could be said about coaches leaving at the pace they are. Contract extensions mean nothing from what I've seen the last few years.
jerry maguire money GIF

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The transfer portal seems like a problem in search of a solution. Really uglies up the whole idea of college or amateurism. It’s another reflection of the instant gratification.world we now live in and young people not having to figure out how to contend with bumps in the road instead of always looking for another road.

Wasn’t the whole idea of one free transfer an outgrowth of the seeming unfairness of a coach being able to leave for greener pastures while the player they recruited had to pay a on year penalty for leaving? If so, maybe only players in that situation get the free transfer. Maybe coaches band together and stop going after kids in the portal. Anti trust violation of course.. Or maybe dropping some sports and going back to freshmen ineligibility to create freshmen teams in a few sports Title 9 makes having freshmen teams more financially infeasible even though the kids who have been told for a decade how special they are would be out of the spotlight for a growing up year. Grad students maybe in a different category or maybe when when the COVID extra year thing goes away tge portal won’t be so crowded if there must be a portal. Anyway, I’m sure our Huskies will do whatever is needed for any roster holes.

Reaction Score
Starting to seem as though Maryland sells a recruiting dream and once a player gets there it's not what they expected. For the last decade Brenda has tried to load up each recruiting class with expectations of a few transfers but this one is the biggest blow in a while with Owusu and Reese.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom