Angel Reese in the portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese in the portal

Reaction Score
It’s very much like the NBA. We probably see some top players team up to form even more super team groups. Or the current super teams get even more super.
That’s funny… I just said that to my wife 20 minutes ago.

Reaction Score
It’s very much like the NBA. We probably see some top players team up to form even more super team groups. Or the current super teams get even more super.
Agreed. It’s almost like free agency. Players realizing they won’t compete for a title so they have the opportunity to jump ship and join a proven top 5 team. The old school practice of recruiting players out of hs to win championships is now looking like merely part of the challenge. Have to also hit the free agency portal every offseason.

Obviously there are many reasons players transfer, this is just one intriguing reason from a fan perspective.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With all of the talent entering the portal, and the Immediate help that some of them could provide to UConn, it will be interesting to see if Geno goes fishing and pulls one or more of those players in.

Reaction Score
With all of the talent entering the portal, and the Immediate help that some of them could provide to UConn, it will be interesting to see if Geno goes fishing and pulls one or more of those players in.
The rich will get richer...but I hope these top programs maintain some sense of commitment to kids they recruit out of high school. It used to be if you were an all-american freshman, you could spend a year in a program and "provide immediate help" the next year. Now if you do not start year one you may get recruited over by an upper class women from another program, not to mention out of high school.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Of all the top WBB programs in the country, MD was the biggest disappointment imo. A year ago the Terps “high octane” offense lead the nation in scoring. When everyone on the team decided to come back, I thought MD had a legitimate chance to challenge the Big 3 (SC, Stanford, UConn) for the national championship.

Covid and injuries hurt MD, like many teams, but the losses piled up even when the team was relatively healthy. At 23-9 MD took a big step backwards this season, and the recent departures clearly indicate that serious problems exist in the program.
In Maryland's defense, they were literally never healthy. Miller was out for the first stretch of the year and never looked like she was fully herself, and Owusu got injured in February and missed about a month, not to mention they lost Benzan for a few games. Besides the first weekend of the tournament, neither player looked fully in rhythm at the same time. Also worth noting, they played a brutal schedule (13 games vs top 4 seeds or Sweet 16 foes) and all 9 losses were to Sweet 16 teams. They should've been better and were a disappointment considering expectations, but they had a lot working against them this year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Reese would be a perfect fit at UCONN IMO. Gives them size and rebounding, plus she'd fit well in a motion offense with her size and perimeter skills. Good shot blocker with potential to be an outstanding defender. Huge motor, draws a ton of fouls, high energy and seems like a supportive teammate. If I'm Geno she's my top choice out of the portal options so far.

Reaction Score
?

Four guards is enough?
when 3 of them are a lock to start yes, then you have Muhl off the bench. If Uconn is going to get a guard it's going to be someone from a mid major or someone that knows they're coming off the bench to get a spark. Fairfield's guard makes 100% sense and is nearby.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Explode Blow Up GIF by reactionseditor

JBK

Reaction Score
Eh, there are only so many spots and Reese has an unorthodox game. I wouldn't put a ton into that. DeBerry made a US team but was overmatched in the tourney and barely played her freshman year.
Understand. Was just trying to see who has a relationship with her - Paige and Azzi has tremendous connections through USA basketball

Reaction Score
No question that the college game is headed in this direction. Players are trying to maximize their futures. A form of free agency has developed. I don't blame the players, for the top players it's shaping their future much earlier than in the past. The college portion of this portion of their life is more economically driven.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well, DD tried it at UNC years ago, and that fell apart, however perhaps WBB coaches and programs weren't ready for it then? There is chatter on social media that some players may join up and go to a mid-major or HBCU together, however since it's chatter, I'll leave it in my draft folder until it actually happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom