And there were 2 | The Boneyard

And there were 2

Reaction Score
Osu/wsu options

1) Give up on PAC and join MW or AAC
2) Hold on to PAC credits and get MW or AAC to merge into PAC 2.0
3) Convince 9 MW schools to disband conference, and bring them in, orphaning the other 3. Add a few AAC to round out new league.
4) Pull in 4+ AAC teams this year and then grab MW schools in a year or two when/if the exit fee is smaller.

Because of the $35M exit fee, they cannot pick off individual MW schools. It is a merger with 9-12 schools or 0.
Not sure what the American exit fee is.

The best long term choice is 3 or 4, but might not be feasible.

Reaction Score
In a curious move, the American says it’s not interested in OSU/WSU. Do they not realize that even those two lowly PAC schools are better brands than 90% of the current conference?

Reaction Score
Osu/wsu options

3) Convince 9 MW schools to disband conference, and bring them in, orphaning the other 3. Add a few AAC to round out new league.
4) Pull in 4+ AAC teams this year and then grab MW schools in a year or two when/if the exit fee is smaller.

Reaction Score
I think the AAC has had it with the travel. Members are probably squawking about it. Oregon St and Washington St are a long trip, especially in an all sports league. Also, in the AAC, schools pay production costs, so that eats up a lot of cash. Paying for more travel cross country isn’t very appealing.

On a brand recognitions scale, the AAC could add them, Army and UConn and put some real schools back in the conference. At least then, it would seem like more of a major conference.

Reaction Score
I think in the end the Pac-## brand is still the stronger name and Oregon St/Washington St now inherit anything left in that conference (i.e. NCAA Tournament Credits.. there are no exit fees to gather). I think they start to look to rebuild with the stronger; western members of the AAC & MWC.

Pac-9: Oregon St / Washington St / San Diego St / Fresno St / UNLV / Boise St / Colorado St / Rice / UTSA
MWC (9): Hawaii / San Jose St / Nevada / Utah St / New Mexico / Wyoming / Air Force / NDSU / SDSU (might be a stretch there on the upgrades)
AAC (12): North Texas / Tulsa / Memphis / Tulane / USF / Temple / Navy (fb)-Wichita St / UAB / FAU / ECU / Charlotte / Army (fb)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is not much point to a merger between the AAC and the MWC/PAC 2. I think it makes sense for them to cooperate in negotiations with the CFP, but a full blown merger is pointless.

I think the AAC needs as much heft as it can get, and adding UConn for football only would be a no brainer for them. It is not a no-brainer for UConn, but I would not completely throw up on it either. I would want UMass in the league.

Reaction Score
I think in the end the Pac-## brand is still the stronger name and Oregon St/Washington St now inherit anything left in that conference (i.e. NCAA Tournament Credits.. there are no exit fees to gather). I think they start to look to rebuild with the stronger; western members of the AAC & MWC.

Pac-9: Oregon St / Washington St / San Diego St / Fresno St / UNLV / Boise St / Colorado St / Rice / UTSA
MWC (9): Hawaii / San Jose St / Nevada / Utah St / New Mexico / Wyoming / Air Force / NDSU / SDSU (might be a stretch there on the upgrades)
AAC (12): North Texas / Tulsa / Memphis / Tulane / USF / Temple / Navy (fb)-Wichita St / UAB / FAU / ECU / Charlotte / Army (fb)
No MWC school is going to pay the $35M exit fee to join that. The only way it works is if the MWC disbands.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
There is not much point to a merger between the AAC and the MWC/PAC 2. I think it makes sense for them to cooperate in negotiations with the CFP, but a full blown merger is pointless.

I think the AAC needs as much heft as it can get, and adding UConn for football only would be a no brainer for them. It is not a no-brainer for UConn, but I would not completely throw up on it either. I would want UMass in the league.
They would probably raid the MAC before adding UMass if they were dead set on a northern option

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No MWC school is going to pay the $35M exit fee to join that. The only way it works is if the MWC disbands.
Merge the two or form a scheduling alliance. The legal side of getting around the exit fee while enabling OSU/WSU to keep their NCAA units is not that complicated. Stuff like that happens every day in corporate finance.

Reaction Score
Merge the two or form a scheduling alliance. The legal side of getting around the exit fee while enabling OSU/WSU to keep their NCAA units is not that complicated. Stuff like that happens every day in corporate finance.
Yes I said that in my original post.
I’m just noting that these proposals to “add 4-6 teams from the MWC” are not going to happen.

Reaction Score
In a curious move, the American says it’s not interested in OSU/WSU. Do they not realize that even those two lowly PAC schools are better brands than 90% of the current conference?
im surprised they didnt grab them and then beg uconn to join for football only

Reaction Score
im surprised they didnt grab them and then beg uconn to join for football only

They don’t want to be in the American. And the American is still butthurt about us.

Reaction Score
They don’t want to be in the American. And the American is still butthurt about us.
i agree, but the way things have been going nothing with realignment and uconn will ever surprise me

Reaction Score
True but if no one is going to provide additional revenue then it is pointless. Doubt anyone would spend more than necessary for a new PAC conference.

Reaction Score
Better brands, but members of the AAC have to be wary of additional travel costs.

Reaction Score
Better brands, but members of the AAC have to be wary of additional travel costs.
Between travel and production costs, the AAC just doesn’t pay enough to justify west coast travel. I’d think if they added those schools and then added UConn, Army and one other west coast school, it might be worth it.

Reaction Score
The only curious thing is inexplicably thinking Aresco/AAC turned down OSU/Wazzu. See inverse.

Considering the not so great OSU/Wazzu options with media decision makers, more likely a reverse merger with MW, or some transitional version of Vowelguy’s #4 above.

Given USMA brass/AD prefer scheduling difficulty containment, don’t see Army pursuing a football-only PAC2+ option even if Navy joined in a #4.

Reaction Score
Osu/wsu options

Because of the $35M exit fee, they cannot pick off individual MW schools. It is a merger with 9-12 schools or 0.
Not sure what the American exit fee is.

The best long term choice is 3 or 4, but might not be feasible.
Some merger with the MW maybe with a bump up in their TV deal makes sense. They definitely should keep the PAC brand. Even if p5 status is not likely . The PAC name itself could command more money and credibility. Some consider UConn, Cincinnati, and USF made a mistake to give up the Big East brand as having the name. gives you access to the history and legacy of that conference. There are UConn fans who still believe we left the Big East for the AAC . Would the C7 have had the same success with another name ? IDK . Maybe but in sports William Shakespeare’s famous observation about names being irrelevant may not be true .

Reaction Score
You think UConn sucks too much to be in the AAC?
What I think or you think about UConn is irrelevant.

The perception throughout CFB is that UConn stinks. A football-only UConn has no value in the market, so the idea that the AAC should be clamoring to add them shows how out of touch you are.

Reaction Score

Why do you like UMass so much?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom