And here's another thing wrong with the AAC | The Boneyard

And here's another thing wrong with the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
You'd be surprised about how clueless some college kids are. I just graduated last week and some of the dumbest people I've ever met graduated with me.

Yep. The problem is worse than ever too. Texting and social media have reduced the level of written communication skills among young people to levels that are remedial in my opinion. The communications I receive from young business people are mind blowingly bad. The big thing I can't understand is how kids that can't read and write and are generally moronic, get decent SAT scores. Is the test easier now than it used to be?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yep. The problem is worse than ever too. Texting and social media have reduced the level of written communication skills among young people to levels that are remedial in my opinion. The communications I receive from young business people are mind blowingly bad. The big thing I can't understand is how kids that can't read and write and are generally moronic, get decent SAT scores. Is the test easier now than it used to be?
Your guess is as good as mine. Its easier to skate through college than high school though - that might have something to do with it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Dummies. At least one member school seems to have an inordinate number of dummies in its student body (Need to take the same class 3 or more times to pass it? Maybe you don't actually belong there.) and instead of drumming them out, it's just going to charge them more!

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/ucf-raising-cost-repeating-college-classes-third-t/nmNCQ/
They are basically a glorified JC with 65,000 kids. You're going to have a million stories with that kind of a student population. As long as UCF excels in football and gets better in basketball who cares? AAC is an athletic conference and all I care about is that our conference mates put an excellent product on the field/court.

Reaction Score
there's an inordinate amount of idiots with college degrees. I work with a few. Heck, I might one too.

FYI, the best way to tell who these people are is that they're the first to proclaim that they are SuperGeniuses, when all evidence points to the contrary.

Reaction Score
Academic prestige outside of the truly elite schools is a a complete joke in today's College/University landscape.

Reaction Score
Actually it is. The scoring or questions was adjusted in 1997 to get better scores. All but forgotten now.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=15820

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dummies. At least one member school seems to have an inordinate number of dummies in its student body (Need to take the same class 3 or more times to pass it? Maybe you don't actually belong there.) and instead of drumming them out, it's just going to charge them more!

Hmm....I'm not sure I'm with you there.

Central Florida isn't a school like UConn or SMU or Tulane.

They're trying with the main campus in Orlando, but the university as a whole has a different mission than we do.

They have eight or nine campuses and four or five junior colleges that feed into their system. The typical student in the system isn't a kid who's heading off to a college campus for four years - it's a commuter student, a part-time student, an older student with a job, etc., etc., etc. I'm sure there are dozens of reasons why a non-traditional student would fail a class and I'm guessing most of them don't involve being a "dummy". (e.g. Work changes after the drop date, family issues after the drop date, housing issues, money issues....)

But I still hate the AAC.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

They're trying with the main campus in Orlando, but the university as a whole has a different mission than we do.

They have eight or nine campuses and four or five junior colleges that feed into their system. The typical student in the system isn't a kid who's heading off to a college campus for four years - it's a commuter student, a part-time student, an older student with a job, etc., etc., etc. I'm sure there are dozens of reasons why a non-traditional student would fail a class and I'm guessing most of them don't involve being a "dummy". (e.g. Work changes after the drop date, family issues after the drop date, housing issues, money issues....)

What do you think of those self-proclaimed geniuses? Now that's a dangerous bunch.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
some schools have those kids are the courts

Reaction Score
You'd be surprised about how clueless some college kids are. I just graduated last week and some of the dumbest people I've ever met graduated with me.
Thank you for the insight. Confirms my belief that a lot of people are wasting a lot of money in college right now.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I think it shows a great deal of character to try to pass the same course three times and not give up.
Remember Einstein wasn't working as a patent clerk because everyone thought he was a genius.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are dozens of reasons why a non-traditional student would fail a class and I'm guessing most of them don't involve being a "dummy". (e.g. Work changes after the drop date, family issues after the drop date, housing issues, money issues....)
Sounds pretty reasonable until you look at the numbers from the article:
About 2,000 students had to take a class three or more times last year.
Enrollment is 60,000. That means that 1 in 30 students had to take a class for the third - OR MORE - times last year.
This doesn't shed any light on how many students had to repeat a class.
I was a horrid college student, and had to take at least one (maybe two? Getting hard to remember) classes twice. But three times? Four times?
I will say this - 1. I probably should have been kicked out of school that first year - I was put on academic probation at UConn. 2. I don't think "dummy" is the right word. This isn't about IQ. When I see "dummy" in this context, it really means "unmotivated" or something to that effect. I'm sure that most, if not all, of the 2,000 could pass if they worked their butts off.

Reaction Score
I think it shows a great deal of character to try to pass the same course three times and not give up.
Perhaps. But, as I noted above, I think the majority of the cases are probably more lack of effort than anything. It would be nice if it was all Disney and these students were working 3 jobs and juggling 4 kids and 2 ex spouses while volunteering in the leprosy clinic, but, in reality, it's much more likely just people not working hard enough to pass the 1st two or three or four times they take the class.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When you change from an academically elite, generally rich population going to college to almost every one going to college it changes the norm. The SAT people say a combined score for math and verbal was supposed to average 1,000. That was no longer the case so they added 100 points to the score.
The past 60 years has dramatically changed the concept of who goes to a four year college. It is not that students are "dumber". It is that college is more universal.

Reaction Score
What UCF is doing is a money thing. It has little to do with academics.

They are capping the amount of times you can retake a course because there are different pay scales for each retake. This gives them more money, essentially. It's a move that many schools have made, even the top AAU schools.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Well put. Living in Clearwater I have spent quite a bit of time on both the UCF and USF campuses. You are correct in that both have a large percentage of commuter students. Kind of like the Stamford Branch which my wife and I both went to for our first two years. I will tell you also that I have met many students at games and they in general good kids.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'd agree with much of that, but it's nit really relevant, since they're discussing a test that was discontinued ten years ago, when the test became longer and more difficult.
Naw..the scores went up on the new test. It was a feel good move. 950 Sat's became 1050-1100. I just got out of teaching at the time and was paying attention.

FYI: It's happening again..google it.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What is a college's educational goal? To become Yale? Or to supply its region with a reasonably educated labor force so that businesses can expand and grow. UCF is probably doing the latter. Most likely, the class being repeated is English Comp. 101. The public schools have not been superior at teaching the basics. Students have to be brought up to college standards to do college work. So, having these students repeat two or three times some classes is instrumental in educational objectives. For some of these students this may be the first time they took a serious interest in learning. As a country we need to keep giving people the opportunity to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom