Am I alone? Is my wife right? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Am I alone? Is my wife right?

Reaction Score
I got my new wife (at the time) hooked on UConn basketball in 2011.

She is close now to as die hard of a fan as me. I know some of you might not think that’s a good thing, but it truly is awesome.

I think the key isn’t to fight it but figure out how to bring her along for the ride.
Grammar Nazi here. Was she your "new wife (at the time)" or your "new (at the time) wife?" I am inferring from the rest of your statement that you are still together, but you can see where it could be taken two ways. :) Great work converting her, though! Wish I could say the same. Other than watching the commercials during the Super Bowl, my wife has no interest in sports at all, and we've been married for 38 years in September.

Reaction Score
I love the Masters. I'm a huge Tampa Rays fan/baseball fan. But all I want to do is think and talk about UConn basketball. Even to people who don't care about it at all.

My wife said "you've always been obsessed with UConn ball, but this a new level. And no, we are not naming our son Steph or Donovan, so stop asking"
This convo has happened frequently. I read every article. Rewatch videos. Check the yard first thing in the morning. I strut around town like I'm cock of the walk.

Please, tell me how you've been spending your last 3 weeks. I want to show her that there are people way worse than me.

Help save a marriage. Thanks
Take her to a men’s hockey game at Toscano. After we get shutout (again) she’ll understand your basketball allegiance.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Grammar Nazi here. Was she your "new wife (at the time)" or your "new (at the time) wife?" I am inferring from the rest of your statement that you are still together, but you can see where it could be taken two ways. :) Great work converting her, though! Wish I could say the same. Other than watching the commercials during the Super Bowl, my wife has no interest in sports at all, and we've been married for 38 years in September.
Been married since 2006 (first and only) though I was deployed the first 18 months of it. 17 years and going strong.

Moved back to CT/RI in late 08 but worked 2nd shift for a few years. 2010-2011 first year we could really spend together (for UConn sake). Worked out well.

UConn basketball is our only sports passions. She used to be huge Sox fan and me Mets but we are both Casuals now for baseball.

Not much better than going to games as a family with zero haggling over it, and knowing that any UConn game automatically blocks out that date on the calendar.

Reaction Score
I love the Masters. I'm a huge Tampa Rays fan/baseball fan. But all I want to do is think and talk about UConn basketball. Even to people who don't care about it at all.

My wife said "you've always been obsessed with UConn ball, but this a new level. And no, we are not naming our son Steph or Donovan, so stop asking"
This convo has happened frequently. I read every article. Rewatch videos. Check the yard first thing in the morning. I strut around town like I'm cock of the walk.

Please, tell me how you've been spending your last 3 weeks. I want to show her that there are people way worse than me.

At the conclusion of last year, I wacthed Storrs South's plays of the year video, every day, till September...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Everyone I know talks about UConn with me, Mrs 99 just accepts that

Reaction Score
I was lucky. Our first date was the URI revenge game, 1/9/71, after we beat them the previous year in the famous slow-down game. It was the very first basketball game she ever saw live.

Lost the game75-67, and she still complains I ignored her the whole game. But it didn't take long to convert her, and 53 years later she is crazier than me yelling at the TV. She wore the same lucky tee throughout the tourney.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
DVR is/was a relationship panacea for me.

Wife doesn't care about UConn hoop in the slightest - just accepts it's my thing.

I will say, it's kind of funny a lot of people have been "congratulating" me on the title the last week or so, and she likes to jokingly say, 'they know you're not on the team..right?'

Reaction Score
I was married to a Georgetown grad for 26 years.and she could not care less about Gtwn hoops let alone the Huskies. All I got was crap for my dedication to UConn hoops during those many seasons and the time I spent watching Husky games from November thru the annual Madness. We got divorced 2 years ago. My girlfriend was not really into watching hoops when we first met, but after 2 seasons of watching the Huskies with me she is now a Husky fanatic. Happier times!

Reaction Score
My wife dislikes UConn basketball because “my husband goes away in November and doesn’t return until the season ends”. She asked me today when will her real husband return? She thought it was going to be after Monday night but it hasn’t happened yet. Back to back and 6 in 25 years, I can’t freakin believe it. Haven’t stopped smiling yet. Thank you to all the coaches and players for brightening up my life.

Reaction Score
I've been going nuts not talking to people and doing a little 'light' trash talking to people. I work in a school in VA and am surrounded by ACC fans. We were out on Spring vacation the week of the game. And the last day of vacation I was T-boned by a guy who went through a stop sign. The guy spun me around, sheered off a large Citgo sign and proceeded to hit a Ford truck. I got the worst of it with a concussion and some neck and upper back pain and missed the first full week back. I'll be out tomorrow and Tuesday again, but am hoping to be back on Wednesday. I hope the game is still on people's minds. I also hope the neck pain goes away soon and the nausea (which is getting less and less) goes away fully as well as the headaches.
You need to call Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz and Rabinowitz.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You will find a new wife. A better wife.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score

show her the clip of jaylen adams taking a dribble, two steps and launching a full court shot in 0.8 seconds and tell her to imagine how miserable and annoying you would be if you were a fan of the other team. she'll understand how lucky she is.

Reaction Score

She is close now to as die hard of a fan as me. I know some of you might not think that’s a good thing, but it truly is awesome.

I think the key isn’t to fight it but figure out how to bring her along for the ride.
So let me guess, you have three kids, all born in Jan with a fourth potentially on the way? Kudos to you. My wife hates sports.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This is on you. You should have married a UConn grad.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My wife gets it. She doesn't fully get my posting on the BY but her loss. We both said we'd name our first boy Kemba. Then we had two girls. After our first girl, I told her when she was pregnant again that whatever she was having next, they will be named Kemba. We've settled on naming our next dog Kemba.....

Man what I would have given to see the teachers face when this blond hair, blue eyes, white kid named Kemba came strutting into their classroom. Probably wouldn't be who they expected to see.

Reaction Score
My wife dislikes UConn basketball because “my husband goes away in November and doesn’t return until the season ends”. She asked me today when will her real husband return? She thought it was going to be after Monday night but it hasn’t happened yet. Back to back and 6 in 25 years, I can’t freakin believe it. Haven’t stopped smiling yet. Thank you to all the coaches and players for brightening up my life.
This is very similar to my relationship… I’m basically too into it, drives her crazy, and after going to Las Vegas for the Elite 8 last year and then every game at MSG, plus Barclays and TD, she’s relieved it’s over. But I don’t know what to do with my life while I wait. The portal helps…

Now my dad got me into it in the 90s when I was a kid — the formative years — but March madness also coincided with spring break vacations and my sisters early April birthday growing up. She now talks to her therapist, colleagues, boyfriend, and anyone who will listen about the trauma of March madness and UConn.

It’s hard on the families ;)

Reaction Score

Same here, same year even! Kemba is her favorite player, 2011 was the year that clinched it. Now she wears the gear and screams at the TV right next to me.

She already grew up huge hoops fan, thanks to her father. He played in Newark back in the day with Hubie Brown, Al Attles, Hoddy Mahan, etc. I loved that man, although they were a big Seton Hall family.

Now I tell her she is a traitor to her family, a traitor to her state, and a traitor to her religion.

Reaction Score

Compromise with Alex. Works for a boy or a girl.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Based on @JonnyRI 's follow-up, "In 2011, I got my then-new wife hooked on UConn basketball" would eliminate the ambiguities and preserve the metaphor of getting somebody hooked on something.

Labeling oneself a "grammar Nazi" is a capitulation to a type of aggressive anti-intellectualism that seeks to harshly degrade people who value accurate expression and recognize that proper ordering of well-chosen words makes things easier for all parties, so long as the punctuation is supportive. I'm confident that you meant it as a gentler entry to correcting someone, but I think that in doing so with that term you're doing too much heavy-lifting for the folks who are not so considerate.

At that point, you really only have to be concerned with the tedious few who use 3 densely-worded paragraphs to express simple thoughts that would better serve a wider audience if they were conveyed in shorter sentences, and fewer of them.

I can't help on that score.
At least not here.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My wife gets it. She doesn't fully get my posting on the BY but her loss. We both said we'd name our first boy Kemba. Then we had two girls. After our first girl, I told her when she was pregnant again that whatever she was having next, they will be named Kemba. We've settled on naming our next dog Kemba.....

Man what I would have given to see the teachers face when this blond hair, blue eyes, white kid named Kemba came strutting into their classroom. Probably wouldn't be who they expected to see.

That's my dog's name. Just turned 11

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
For 38 years, albeit only in September, or come September you will have been married 38 years? See how it could be taken two ways? :)

Reaction Score
I definitely miss this team and the games more than at any time in my 30 years as a diehard.

They just played with such intelligence & skill. Was always in the ‘99 was the toughest MF’ers, ‘04 most talented (my fave team), but to me this was the greatest team, because all 5 guys could get 20 anytime And the way the pieces were so interchangeable.

Plus, they had FUN. I may be misremembering, but felt like TNewt smiled so much more this year, he was always having a blast out there. Clingan kept everyone loose - it felt like and then Cam & Alex were those whatever it takes, refuse to lose types (with much diff personalities).

And Castle - what 5-star comes to UConn over garbage cheating southern schools one, and two comes in less entitled and willing to do the dirty work. Just amazing mentality and obv so talented/versatile. Hass just had such a diff vibe this year - so comfortable and confident. We lost nothing when he came in. Slamson & JStew had their moments too and everyone cheered for everyone.

Miss this group so much, they had & accomplished “Everything“!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom