Am I alone? Is my wife right? | The Boneyard

Am I alone? Is my wife right?

Reaction Score
I love the Masters. I'm a huge Tampa Rays fan/baseball fan. But all I want to do is think and talk about UConn basketball. Even to people who don't care about it at all.

My wife said "you've always been obsessed with UConn ball, but this a new level. And no, we are not naming our son Steph or Donovan, so stop asking"
This convo has happened frequently. I read every article. Rewatch videos. Check the yard first thing in the morning. I strut around town like I'm cock of the walk.

Please, tell me how you've been spending your last 3 weeks. I want to show her that there are people way worse than me.

Help save a marriage. Thanks

Reaction Score
I love the Masters. I'm a huge Tampa Rays fan/baseball fan. But all I want to do is think and talk about UConn basketball. Even to people who don't care about it at all.

My wife said "you've always been obsessed with UConn ball, but this a new level. And no, we are not naming our son Steph or Donovan, so stop asking"
This convo has happened frequently. I read every article. Rewatch videos. Check the yard first thing in the morning. I strut around town like I'm cock of the walk.

Please, tell me how you've been spending your last 3 weeks. I want to show her that there are people way worse than me.

Ask her to channel her inner Andrea Hurley.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I got my new wife (at the time) hooked on UConn basketball in 2011.

She is close now to as die hard of a fan as me. I know some of you might not think that’s a good thing, but it truly is awesome.

I think the key isn’t to fight it but figure out how to bring her along for the ride.

Reaction Score

She is close now to as die hard of a fan as me. I know some of you might not think that’s a good thing, but it truly is awesome.

I think the key isn’t to fight it but figure out how to bring her along for the ride.
Take her to a nice dinner in Hartford and then to a game at the XL Center.

Reaction Score

Same. Except 2014 for me. She was good mojo. That’s why we’re still together.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Just give her this look anytime she tries to change the subject.
IMG_3045.jpeg

Reaction Score
I've been going nuts not talking to people and doing a little 'light' trash talking to people. I work in a school in VA and am surrounded by ACC fans. We were out on Spring vacation the week of the game. And the last day of vacation I was T-boned by a guy who went through a stop sign. The guy spun me around, sheered off a large Citgo sign and proceeded to hit a Ford truck. I got the worst of it with a concussion and some neck and upper back pain and missed the first full week back. I'll be out tomorrow and Tuesday again, but am hoping to be back on Wednesday. I hope the game is still on people's minds. I also hope the neck pain goes away soon and the nausea (which is getting less and less) goes away fully as well as the headaches.

Reaction Score

My wife really got into the tourney this year and watched every second. She was even correcting officials on block/ charge calls. I understand that the rest of the sports world has moved on but Uconn fans are in a special rarified moment in time, and we are not in a hurry to let it go.
My college buddies who I talk/ text sports with root for St. John’s and Pitt and actively root against us. They barely acknowledged our championship. In a way I understand it- their teams and programs flat out suck.
You are perfectly normal.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I married a UConn alumni, which I guess is a cheat code because she is also a big UConn basketball fan.

But yes, even she thinks I’m insane with the amount of time I spend thinking, living and breathing UConn basketball.

Our first date was the Jalen Adams 4 overtime game, which cause me to be late (although she was late too, so she never knew). But she knew what she was signing up for since day 1 lol

Reaction Score
I've been going nuts not talking to people and doing a little 'light' trash talking to people. I work in a school in VA and am surrounded by ACC fans. We were out on Spring vacation the week of the game. And the last day of vacation I was T-boned by a guy who went through a stop sign. The guy spun me around, sheered off a large Citgo sign and proceeded to hit a Ford truck. I got the worst of it with a concussion and some neck and upper back pain and missed the first full week back. I'll be out tomorrow and Tuesday again, but am hoping to be back on Wednesday. I hope the game is still on people's minds. I also hope the neck pain goes away soon and the nausea (which is getting less and less) goes away fully as well as the headaches.
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal quickly.
We'll be here for you. The game is still on my mind. By 'the game' I'm still working through the Stetson game.

Reaction Score
My wife dreads college basketball season now so I can’t help you there. Idk if it’s how obsessed I am with it or that I drink almost every game. I’ve tried to get her into it but she really only watches football. My plan is to get the kids as bad as me when they grow up so she won’t have a choice.

Reaction Score
My wife dreads college basketball season now so I can’t help you there. Idk if it’s how obsessed I am with it or that I drink almost every game. I’ve tried to get her into it but she really only watches football. My plan is to get the kids as bad as me when they grow up so she won’t have a choice.
I haven't stopped drinking since the game. I'm still celebrating. I was a sophomore in the jungle during '99 and even then, a few days after natty, I think I said "I'm 19 years old, I better give my liver a break.

Reaction Score
Hahaha love this, I’ve been with my wife for 14 years, she was not a sports fan at all but she sat and watched and tried to understand why it’s a block or a charge. Last year she started noticing how amazing the team was, she’d remark during games at how amazingly they move together and pass and know where each other will be. So it’s been a ton of fun watching her start to understand the game and also take joy in how beautiful the basketball we’re playing is to watch.

This year maybe as we got to the second weekend she started joking about how I’m going to be consuming all the content, the interviews, the highlights, the podcasts, and she’s on the money of course. Now she knows it’s championship merch season, so last night we were picking out shirts for the kids and her. It’s officially a family affair, but none of my kids are named after UConn references. I did suggest Isaiah and Kentan for our son though, didn’t make the cut

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So you've settled on Cam as a name?

As many of you know, I'm married to a Pitt double grad and a Pittsburgh lifer. We've had our moments (esp KEA on the scorer's table) but she appreciates a good game and misses the old BE. Early on she called this year's team a machine and unbeatable. But even with that, she couldn't stand the "basketball capital of the world" stuff, especially on court signage. Over the top to her. We have good conversations on the Pitt team, and she mostly knows her stuff, but all season had been unwilling to admit that a high assist/attempt ratio was a really good thing. But what really got on her nerves this year was that she couldn't get a rise out of me. "Aren't you the least bit worried?" she'd ask at halftime when the score was close. "Nope, not in the least. We'll win by at least 13."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My wife is as obsessed as me. Took her to the Big East tourney finals(MSG) in 1999 of all years when we were dating. Beat Duke a month later. She was bit by the bug and it was over. Has zero qualms about me blowing an obscene amount of cash on merch and memorabilia. My advice is
take her to a game and make a whole night out of it. Drinks, dinner, stay over at a nice hotel. Something for both of you. Let the Huskies get in the bloodstream.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
This new “free agency / GM” part of college basketball has me doing hourly checks to see who hit the portal, who’s visiting who, and who are we interested in. I’m talking from final four weekend til now. Complete new level of obsession.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom