PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did Daniel Hamilton feel wanted? Did Jalen Adams feel wanted? There are a ton of similarities in what type of recruit both were. Both didn't require the "nursing" of handlers, both have two, involved, supportive parents, both appreciated the family aspect of the UConn program, both appreciated that they would have to earn time, both knew that they would leave UConn a better person and basketball player. Not all recruits are the same. I am certain that KO makes the players he values feel wanted. The rest, the stories, the quotes from third party's is all hearsay.

I'm in with your line of thinking. KO made several statements from the get go that he wanted to coach players that decided that UConn is the place for them. At the time he was referring to those who didn't bolt after the banning. Could it be that his recruiting approach is that he wants to get to know a player, have the player get to know him and the program, both of whom should know fairly early on if it is a good fit.

Maybe after this "dating" process and it becomes clear that one side still isn't close to being committed to the other, he's not going to chase after someone as they play the field. Nothing wrong with a recruit playing the field, but maybe once KO has shown the prospect what UConn has to offer, it is then up to them to make the decision based on what they have learned. There's not much more of a message to be delivered in daily texts.

Of course, KO could also slow down the "dating " himself, if he wasn't as enamored of what he saw. It's not 100% just the player's floor game, there's also the other attributes a player brings, and it appears that KO places more emphasis on the latter than average.

Reaction Score
Kenny Johnson is a name we will hear a lot and one which will put the occasional hurt on us. Good news is he ca't get them all.

Doesn't it seem that the programs that are really hitting it big on the recruiting trail, (AZ, Louisville, Maryland, etc.) have these very well connected "Ace" recruiters that have great ties to powerhouse AAU programs or particular schools?

Case in point this Kenny Johnson guy or Book Richardson of AZ, etc.

I like our staff but they are strictly within the UCONN family guys (lot of positives to this) but we don't have a guy from the outside with really strong AAU ties. I think that its effecting our recruiting (ability to close on certain kids). I know our conference affiliation hurts but this coaching thing is also playing a major role IMO.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I heard this influenced Prince de-committing (distance was a joke), impacted Mack, influenced Stone, and brown (openly said the phone stopped calling). could be totally BS, (just passing on what I heard)

Since I am not 17 and not a top 100 recruit, i do not know this 1st hand!
The evidence points to your source being Fishy!:cool:

I'm not questioning that your source (might even be Fishy's source) is closer to the situation than I, or most of this community, but there is something that I would like to know. Is he within the coaching circle?

pj

Reaction Score
Sounds like more nonsense and BS to me. They didn't get Mack for the same reason they didn't get Larrier and UNC and Georgetown didn't get Kenny Williams the first time around, Shaka got out on them dudes way earlier than bigger programs did. As for Ali, he just told Borges a few weeks ago he felt he committed soon and didn't go thru the entire recruiting process after he started to show out on the EYBL circuit. Guys do this all the time once they starting generating more interest, but now since it is a UConn recruit its a case of our staff being inept and dropping the ball. As for Stone, you would have to be blind to ignore the optics with that one with the school he committed to and the brands involved. With Brown I don't quite understand why they valued him more in 2015 and not 2016 but its clear they stopped calling by choice and its not a case of them getting beat to the punch by other programs.

With Brown, no doubt there were desperate for a ballhandler/shooter for 2015 and had no idea Sterling Gibbs would be available until his visit. For 2016, Gilbert, Diallo, and probably others too are higher priorities.

But what I wonder is why you would stop calling entirely. Why not keep calling and just say, look, we love you and your game and in the right circumstances we'll be delighted to have you, but at the moment your offer is not committable because we want to give some other guys a chance to take that spot first. Just keep regular contact. Even if you are going steady with Gilbert and Diallo, why can't you continue to flirt with Brown? Not calling at all, to a guy you would want if the top choices fall through, suggests laziness.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Did Daniel Hamilton feel wanted? Did Jalen Adams feel wanted? There are a ton of similarities in what type of recruit both were. Both didn't require the "nursing" of handlers, both have two, involved, supportive parents, both appreciated the family aspect of the UConn program, both appreciated that they would have to earn time, both knew that they would leave UConn a better person and basketball player. Not all recruits are the same. I am certain that KO makes the players he values feel wanted. The rest, the stories, the quotes from third party's is all hearsay.
My guess is you are on the mark or pretty much on the mark.

IIRC JC told recruits they had to earn playing time. Nothing was given. Some, like KO, appreciated that. Others probably wanted to hear they were the next MJ and would be starters immediately. Even with his success JC lost out on a lot of big name recruits. Conference certainly wasn't an issue. Maybe some recruits were turned off by his personality. But my guess is that most of the big names that were turned off wanted to be coddled and JC wasn't having any part of that.

KO is his own person, but it is extremely likely he would approach recruits in a similar fashion given his experience with JC and JC's success.

Reaction Score

You're missing my point. You are right that we don't really know for sure that we are being outworked by other coaches on the recruiting trail. However there are quotes from Bruce Brown and anecdotal evidence that this may be the case. The point isn't that we will never close big recruits it is the following:

If other schools are doing a better job with something so simple as keeping in constant contact and making kids feel wanted that is a big issue. We can lose recruits for lots of reasons, however not contacting out top targets enough should not be one of them. You and I will never know if this is the case, only the kids can say why they chose one school over another.

Reaction Score
Not calling at all, to a guy you would want if the top choices fall through, suggests laziness.

The problem with the whole laziness theme is that Kevin Ollie has never given any indication of being lazy in any way, shape or form. Quite the contrary. I don't know why we stopped calling Brown. I'm sure we had our reasons, and I'm equally sure KO saying 'you know, I'm just going to take a nap' wasn't one of them.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
With Brown, no doubt there were desperate for a ballhandler/shooter for 2015 and had no idea Sterling Gibbs would be available until his visit. For 2016, Gilbert, Diallo, and probably others too are higher priorities.

But what I wonder is why you would stop calling entirely. Why not keep calling and just say, look, we love you and your game and in the right circumstances we'll be delighted to have you, but at the moment your offer is not committable because we want to give some other guys a chance to take that spot first. Just keep regular contact. Even if you are going steady with Gilbert and Diallo, why can't you continue to flirt with Brown? Not calling at all, to a guy you would want if the top choices fall through, suggests laziness.
It would be prudent to continue communication unless they were sure of Gibbs and didn't want to prevent Brown from an alternative decent choice. That's integrity, not laziness.

We have witnessed the efforts of Ricky Moore, KO, KF. KO demonstrated it with his determination to prove he was NBA worthy. Ricky demonstrated it to JC after his suspension that he was going to be the best defensive player in college. KFree played through cramps that still make me cringe. They are anything but lazy.

Reaction Score
You're missing my point. You are right that we don't really know for sure that we are being outworked by other coaches on the recruiting trail. However there are quotes from Bruce Brown and anecdotal evidence that this may be the case. The point isn't that we will never close big recruits it is the following:

If other schools are doing a better job with something so simple as keeping in constant contact and making kids feel wanted that is a big issue. We can lose recruits for lots of reasons, however not contacting out top targets enough should not be one of them. You and I will never know if this is the case, only the kids can say why they chose one school over another.
I understand your point. I just don't buy this notion that KO is being outworked by other coaches. A guy who played in the USBL, CBA, and had a million 10 day contracts, is being outworked?????? Please. I never believe what a recruit or their AAU coach tells the media. Kids like Bruce Brown can say whatever they want. What I want to know, and what we can't hear, is KO's side. Why did he start contacting Bruce Brown less? That's the real story.

Reaction Score
This problem with the whole laziness theme is that Kevin Ollie has never given any indication of being lazy in any way, shape or form. Quite the contrary. I don't know why we stopped calling Brown. I'm sure we had our reasons, and I'm equally sure KO saying 'you know, I'm just going to take a nap' wasn't one of them.
It seems like we backed off of Brown because we wanted him in 2015, and for 2016 Diallo is our clear top choice. Which is unfortunate, because Brown is a heck of a player too

Reaction Score
The evidence points to your source being Fishy!:cool:

I'm not questioning that your source (might even be Fishy's source) is closer to the situation than I, or most of this community, but there is something that I would like to know. Is he within the coaching circle?

My source is not fishy(I do not think he is a fan of mine)...and not on the staff. I mostly talk to reporters, a few aau guys, some top tos reporters from a few recruiting sites and a few D level boosters. No direct staff.

Reaction Score
Whether the "lazy" narrative is true or not in general, it doesn't apply to Bruce Brown. He isn't saying that UConn doesn't call as much as the other schools - he's saying that UConn never calls anymore. That's not laziness, that's moving in another direction completely.

And if there's any truth to Diallo reclassifying, then it's obvious what the new direction is. They play the same position and they're both local, but Diallo just so happens to be the one whose best friend is already committed to UConn. And to sweeten the pot even more, he's probably the better player (though I'd be more than happy with Brown too).

Reaction Score
Whether the "lazy" narrative is true or not in general, it doesn't apply to Bruce Brown. He isn't saying that UConn doesn't call as much as the other schools - he's saying that UConn never calls anymore. That's not laziness, that's moving in another direction completely.

And if there's any truth to Diallo reclassifying, then it's obvious what the new direction is. They play the same position and they're both local, but Diallo just so happens to be the one whose best friend is already committed to UConn. And to sweeten the pot even more, he's probably the better player (though I'd be more than happy with Brown too).

IMO, this scenario makes the most sense. KO and the staff being lazy just isn't the problem.

Reaction Score

What I just don't get is: why not keep contacting Brown just in case we don't get Diallo?

What's the downside of keeping our options open and having backup plans?

Diallo has completely blown up (which was likely based on how talented he is) and he is getting huge love from everyone. While I totally want Diallo (and Gilbert) they have both clearly said that they are wide open and both seem to have the hots for Louisville and others. We are by no means guaranteed (or even likely) to get either one. Our chances may be better than average but far far from guaranteed.

Why not show Brown love and have a good shot to get him just in case Diallo goes in a different direction? This staff seems to have gone all in (or really heavily in on both Gilbert and Diallo) while perhaps not showing the necessary love to other (still very good) players. there either is something else about Brown that they don't like as much or its a bad recruiting / coaching move by our staff.

Reaction Score
By all indications Ollie wants to run a 2 PG offense and have shooters at the 3 and 4. Bruce Brown doesn't fit in, he's a pure 2 who isn't a great shooter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
By all indications Ollie wants to run a 2 PG offense and have shooters at the 3 and 4. Bruce Brown doesn't fit in, he's a pure 2 who isn't a great shooter.

And yet he'd probably be a fine replacement for Purvis should he leave after this season.

Reaction Score
They play the same position and they're both local, but Diallo just so happens to be the one whose best friend is already committed to UConn.

Hmmm, but then Bruce Brown is Jalen Adams's first cousin.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The big difference is Louisville doesn't put anyone in the NBA, UConn does.
I don't follow pro basketball much at all but can this be due to UL style of mostly full court press defense? Like UConn it is a guard centered offense but the frenetic pressing style which results in easy baskets for guards and maybe wings is not at all the norm in the pro's is it? Maybe the same reason Syracuse (zone) has the same problem?

Reaction Score
And yet he'd probably be a fine replacement for Purvis should he leave after this season.

I think Ollie is hoping that Hamidou Diallo will be the replacement for Purvis which is why he stopped recruiting Bruce Brown. I've seen Bruce Brown play in person twice, he isn't all that impressive. I certainly don't see him being an impact player at UConn.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I do care about my disappointment, and I'm not going to spin my brain into a frenzy worrying about it - just hope for the best. As a fan, it's easier to do that since what I think (and you) has no effect on how likely it is that a recruit would come to UConn or not.

I certainly don't care about you, your disappointment or how you feel. Don't worry.

Not sure if I pissed you off . Didn't mean to do so. I agree we have no effect in the process and should not spin our brain in a frenzy. And some people are too soon to count their chickens. But other times, just expressing enthusiasm draws "warnings" here. And people tamp down their hopes so it won't upset them later. I don't get it. If you don't want your heart to swell and, at times, to break, one should not be a fan.
I think the roller coaster ride is worth it.

pj

Reaction Score
You guys are a tough crowd. I certainly don't think KO is lazy, and never said it. But there are multiple people on the staff who can recruit. If there's any chance a guy might help the team, you keep in touch. Integrity implies honesty, not neglecting to call. Until they commit, Diallo and Gilbert are not sure things ... so you need backup plans.

Maybe Brown did something to make the staff think he couldn't ever be UConn material. But they obviously thought differently before, and it seemed the drop in calls coincided with his decision to stay in 2016 ... so that suggests it wasn't something that emerged about him, it was turning attention to better prospects and other matters.

Another aspect to this is there are some kinds of work people enjoy, and some they don't. Going into the gym and working on basketball may be enjoyable and calling recruits not. A guy can be the most non-lazy person in the world about basketball, but lazy in recruiting. Maybe lazy is the wrong word here, perhaps something like a slackard in recruiting would be better. But we all know people who are at good at and enjoy some parts of their job and not good at and shun others.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Maybe Brown was a big priority when we had a big need for a guard for 2015. We got Gibbs and Brown didn't come out for 2015. Now he might be less interesting than Diallo.
Our staff has weaknesses but the assumption that they are missing the obvious things is a bit demeaning.
They landed 3 very good transfers and Momadou. Then they didn't King (as expected) and Gilbert and Diallo are not dropping quickly into our laps and posters are :
1) getting all kinds of anxious
2) going after the staff

I think the staff deserves a little benefit of the doubt after this spring

Reaction Score
Not sure if I pissed you off . Didn't mean to do so. I agree we have no effect in the process and should not spin our brain in a frenzy. And some people are too soon to count their chickens. But other times, just expressing enthusiasm draws "warnings" here. And people tamp down their hopes so it won't upset them later. I don't get it. If you don't want your heart to swell and, at times, to break, one should not be a fan.
I think the roller coaster ride is worth it.

Nah, didn't really piss me off. I basically agree with you anyways. The bold part ^ is the only point I was really trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom