PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 28 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hopefully not. If he sees JA as a negative, he should feel the same with Louisville, who will have a JR Quentin Snider ahead of him.
Most top programs will have returning quality depth at the recruits position. With that said, similar to Diallo, Gilbert is blowing up too quickly and attracting P5 blue chip programs. Hopefully his relationship with KO, the programs rich championship history and track record developing guards for the NBA will be enough to ward off the latecomers to the party.

As I've said so many times, I've learned not to get to attached to any recruit, even if they are the perfect UConn fit. You simply lose more recruiting battles than you win, though with these two players they were the right impressionable age when UConn was winning their last NC and KO has built solid relationships with both it seems. Aside from usual factors such as the program and position fit, program and player development success, etc., having a strong relationship with the head coach often puts that program at the top of the list. I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Would love to see these two commit by July or August the latest. The longer it goes with recruits that loved UConn early, then more the odds begin to stack against landing them. Not trying to be a Negative Nancy. Let's hope these two just want to go through the process and take advantage of the official visits they're allotted if they choose to do so, but in the end stick with their first love. ;)

Reaction Score
@GoodmanESPN: Quentin Goodin told ESPN his list of finalists are Florida, Xavier, Miami, Western Kentucky and Louisville. @Goodin_3

2016 point guard. Hope he picks Louisville.

Reaction Score
What's the Plan B IF Gilbert opts to play elsewhere? Saw a list for Jaylen Fisher and there was no UConn. Bruce Brown no longer seems to be in play.

Could the staff hold out and look to sign a top-rated PG for 2017?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Makai Ashton-Langford is a potential '16 target who could be intriguing.

Reaction Score
Makai Ashton-Langford is a potential '16 target who could be intriguing.

he's reclassing? I know he's originally a 2016 kid but I hadn't heard anything about him reclassing unless that's on the low...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
he's reclassing? I know he's originally a 2016 kid but I hadn't heard anything about him reclassing unless that's on the low...

I meant to say, if Ollie wants to stay in '16 to look for a PG.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What's the Plan B IF Gilbert opts to play elsewhere? Saw a list for Jaylen Fisher and there was no UConn. Bruce Brown no longer seems to be in play.

Could the staff hold out and look to sign a top-rated PG for 2017?

Plan B will invariably involve calling up some of the kids they've stopped calling.

There are a lot of eggs in one basket here.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's unsettling how much AG's interview responses and general attention have shifted away from KO and UConn.

Reaction Score
Plan B will invariably involve calling up some of the kids they've stopped calling.

There are a lot of eggs in one basket here.

I love the boneyard...first its the "staff is spreading themselves too thin" by going after too many recruits to now "too many eggs in one basket"... all in this in a matter of a few weeks.

The staff has a game plan... you would think after getting more or less the exact pieces they need to be a really good team this year it would give people the confidence to trust KO.

We are not going to win 100% of the recruiting battles (no where close to 100%). No one does not even UK., just look at their top misses this year, but a couple of misses does not mean the staff does not know what they are doing.

Reaction Score
It's unsettling how much AG's interview responses and general attention have shifted away from KO and UConn.
Eh, I'm sure it gets tiring answering the same question for every interview. Wouldn't make much of it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I love the boneyard...first its the "staff is spreading themselves too thin" by going after too many recruits to now "too many eggs in one basket"... all in this in a matter of a few weeks.

Not that I don't enjoy yet another scrunchy-faced tantrum of a post, but the staff is most definitely not spreading themselves too thin.

Reaction Score

The staff has a game plan... you would think after getting more or less the exact pieces they need to be a really good team this year it would give people the confidence to trust KO.

We are not going to win 100% of the recruiting battles (no where close to 100%). No one does not even UK., just look at their top misses this year, but a couple of misses does not mean the staff does not know what they are doing.
Yeah, that plan is, after going after a **t load of rising HS seniors and preps who started off pro-UConn till they're reminded how much our conference s*cks, they hit the 5th year senior mother-load again. :) I'm kidding...well sort of.

Now I don't know if KO is putting all his eggs in Gilbert's basket, but I think he felt he found some under-the-radar talent that appeared impressed with him, the UConn program and getting the UConn offer. He might not have anticipated him blowing up so much and having to battle the likes of UL for his services. Ricky P & UL are beginning to be the thorn in KO's side. Seems things go in cycles, but every few years there's a program or two that just seem to like the same recruits UConn likes. Nova and Texas come to mind. The combination of the Florida schools (UF, FSU & UM) also seemed to battle us for our plan-A & B recruits. MD for years was another battle ground. JC would tend to drop out of the sweepstakes with the likes of UK, KU, UNC, Dook and Zona, realizing that hanging in on the recruits that these programs liked, especially the ones that would hold off till signing week to decide, would likely not end in our favor. Sometimes he did go all in if he really wanted someone, like Rudy. One thing that JC was masterful was to narrow things down to about 3 recruits at a position of need. He'd try to press for an early decision with the one he liked the most, but would not make it so obvious. Then by around August or so, he'd pretty much tell the 3, whoever says yes first gets the ship. I can't remember who all the PGs were one year, but we landed Taleik in one of those battles. I think Marcus Williams was a similar situation. AJ Price was a tad different. JC was after a few PGs, but clearly liked AJ who committed relatively early where he did not have to lay out the ultimatum. With that said, he went hard after some big time PGs but ended up settling for Kemba, Bazz & Boat. That's not a bad run of back-up plan PGs, if you ask me. Now I realize that Kemba ended up a Burger AA, but he rose up the rankings late summer. And JC was after some higher profile PGs before he went radar lock on Kemba.

I know I sound like a broken record, but if it wasn't for our conference affiliation, I have little doubt that KO would be cleaning up early with many of his Plan-A & B recruits. Recruits and their parents just seem to love KO, and I think his recruiting would be similar to other blue-blood programs where it appears they get to pick their recruits compared to the reverse. I think people gotta stop kicking KO and his staff to the curb saying they're doing this and not doing that. The fact that many talented recruits are listing UConn early and some are putting us in their short lists, proving IMO that they're working hard and doing a nice job. The recruiting restrictions during the past year or so, put them behind other programs, but with the 2016 & 17 classes you can see the impact of not having those restrictions, though we might again see the impact of having to go up against P5 programs and find ourselves on the outside looking in. Now losing some recruits to the likes of VCU and other non-P5s with the 2015 class was a tad disconcerting, but I think this time around we're either going to land some of these plan-A and B recruits or find ourselves losing them to some top P5 programs.

It's still early. Let's see if they can land the likes of Alterique, Bailey and/or Diallo before we draw any conclusions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't forget that you have to take into account who is interviewing the recruit. If the person supports a particular program or conference, it often slants that way. I have no idea in the case of Alterique's most recent quotes, but until he begins to not mention us at all, I wouldn't get overly alarmed. With that said, I'm concerned when we go up against UL. I have no idea what Ricky P is saying, but it sure seems that recruits go from gushing over UConn to gushing all over UL, and UConn slowing becoming an after-thought. I do wonder if the pitch at the end is something like, "You can play for a program like UConn, which is a nice program, but in a non-P5 conference and non-P5 schedule, but you can play for the Cards, be part of the ACC, etc... With all things equal or close, that type of talk can certainly close the gap and eclipse us in the end.

I know I should not even be thinking this way, but I wonder how Few does it. The Zags, are similar to UConn in that they're not in a P5 conference, and arguably a much worse one than the AAC. He seems to keep the Zags well stocked with talent, but I don't know how often he goes up against the big boys. He does a good job of finding some very talented recruits, often international ones. He's done well with Canadian and European players. Frankly, I don't know what draws kids to that program, though I know little about that school other than it's in Washington state. What's really hard to do, is to recruit that so called under-the-radar layer of talent. Sometimes those recruits turn out to be where they were ranked, though you can often strike gold. What's problematic is if you do spot someone that looks special, they can blow up to the point they become out of reach, which could be the case with Alterique and Diallo. I hope not, and we end up landing a pair of both highly talented and program fitting ballers.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
He is too perfect for UConn and UConn too perfect for him to not come here.

Reaction Score
Wow he's getting stronger and more mature each and every video. The kids a player who fits us KO perfectly. Would be a super get, super he seems to be getting better every year in a big way and kudo's to him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom