Alexis Jones to Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alexis Jones to Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Is that number [#1] not allowed to be used?

At UConn, the #1 is not used.

No numbers are retired. Jerseys (with name and number styled in the uniform of the era in which the honored player played) are displayed in the Huskies Hall of Honor (getting crowded now).

Informally, new players ask former players for approval to wear a special number. Thus, Hayes wore #3 and Kaleena wears #23. Deservedly, and with distinction.

Nobody gets #0, either. When Diana asked for it, Geno said, "No. That's not a number." Later, when asked why she wore #3, Diana said, "Coach told me to." Welcome to UConn, Ms Taurasi.

Reaction Score
You forget Small and Wright. Wright is very talented and I think that eveyone will get to see what she can do next season. She will most likely start the rest of her career.

Reports are that Prince is making great progress with her recovery from foot surgery. She is out of the boot and has been seen around campus on her bicycle.

I suspect Cave and Higgins will continue to play the 5 in 2015 unless Kim can land either Brown or McCowan in 2015, and she is still in the hunt for both, at last report. Davis will continue to play the 4 position and will log a lot of minutes, but she has a great motor and is easily capable of 30+ minutes a game.

This season look for a starting lineup of Agbuke, Davis, Wright, Johnson, and Prince. I hope that Wallace is good enough to steal one of those spots, but Kim is known to be very loyal to returning players unless someone really wows her in practice like Davis did this past season. Cave and Higgins will get a lot of time off the bench in the 4 and 5 spots. Wallace and Small will most likely be coming off the bench at the guard slots.

We should go 9 or 10 deep this season without losing much when the subs are used. I am hopeful that Cohen (Hoopgurlz #41) comes in and has an immediate impact. It sounds like Buckner may be a little more of a project but very athletic at 6-3.

The 2015-16 season looks very exciting! Everyone but Agbuke will return and we will add Jones, Gulley (Hoopgurlz #46), Szczepanski-Beavers, the 10th rated post player in the class, and hopefully Brown or McCowan.

by my count they are at 15 scholarships for 2015-16 , obviously subject to change

I am not sure where the scoring will come from this season, getting Prince healthy could help, however when your PG, and posts do not score you better play great defense. I like the video of Wallace, she is very aggressive on both ends of the court, and had 21 rebounds in one game. Unbelievable, I never heard of a guard getting 21 boards. If Small, and Wright step up their games the 2/3 positions will be crowded.

Reaction Score
Nobody gets #0, either. When Diana asked for it, Geno said, "No. That's not a number." Later, when asked why she wore #3, Diana said, "Coach told me to." Welcome to UConn, Ms Taurasi.

Didn't Geno tell Diana she should come to UConn and wear #3 because she was going to be the Babe Ruth of women's basketball?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
At UConn, the #1 is not used.

No numbers are retired. Jerseys (with name and number styled in the uniform of the era in which the honored player played) are displayed in the Huskies Hall of Honor (getting crowded now).

Informally, new players ask former players for approval to wear a special number. Thus, Hayes wore #3 and Kaleena wears #23. Deservedly, and with distinction.

Kib -- I don't know if this additional part to the story is true, but I remember hearing that Diana asked for 0 and Geno told her that wasn't a number. She then asked for #1 and Geno told her there are no 1's on UConn. Then Geno told her she should wear number 3 and that she could be our Babe Ruth. I can't remember where I heard this, so I don't know how accurate it is. But it's interesting.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Kib -- I don't know if this additional part to the story is true, but I remember hearing that Diana asked for 0 and Geno told her that wasn't a number. She then asked for #1 and Geno told her there are no 1's on UConn. Then Geno told her she should wear number 3 and that she could be our Babe Ruth. I can't remember where I heard this, so I don't know how accurate it is. But it's interesting.

He forced her into 3, so she won 3. He should have forced Stewart to wear 4.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Whether it's true or an urban legend, it's a great story. (I believe it, sounds like Geno.)

And it most certainly turned out to be TRUE!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
FairView said:

I believe most if not all of this is true

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I was sort of hoping that Jones would come to UConn. You just can't HAVE to many guards!!

Reaction Score
Alexis was nothing short of excellent while at Duke. She played along side 2 Wnba players and still averaged double digits. Baylor stole one

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Alexis was nothing short of excellent while at Duke. She played along side 2 Wnba players and still averaged double digits. Baylor stole one

I agree. I don't understand the "she didn't develop" comments.

G

genosguy

Mulkey may be a good guard coach and her child is very good and I love Davis. Mulkey drooled over Moriah Jefferson and thought she had her---and when Jefferson went back and played against sims --Mulkey must have damned the recruiting gods for not getting Jefferson--she made Sims look very bad--especially when Sims had to push her off with two hands. I don't think Mulkey is any better than McCallie--she may recruit better. Geno certainly does better on both cases..t

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kibitzer said:
At UConn, the #1 is not used. No numbers are retired. Jerseys (with name and number styled in the uniform of the era in which the honored player played) are displayed in the Huskies Hall of Honor (getting crowded now). Informally, new players ask former players for approval to wear a special number. Thus, Hayes wore #3 and Kaleena wears #23. Deservedly, and with distinction. Nobody gets #0, either. When Diana asked for it, Geno said, "No. That's not a number." Later, when asked why she wore #3, Diana said, "Coach told me to." Welcome to UConn, Ms Taurasi.
She wore it well. I thought I read once it had to do with being the Babe Ruth of WBB.

Edit: Reading further in the thread, I guess other people heard that too.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey may be a good guard coach and her child is very good and I love Davis. Mulkey drooled over Moriah Jefferson and thought she had her---and when Jefferson went back and played against sims --Mulkey must have damned the recruiting gods for not getting Jefferson--she made Sims look very bad--especially when Sims had to push her off with two hands. I don't think Mulkey is any better than McCallie--she may recruit better. Geno certainly does better on both cases..t

Wait...Mulkey recruits better than JPM? I would be interested in seeing the evidence of that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This should help Baylor going forward either way. This is a nice selling point for recruits.

Yes it is. Baylor needed a premier player to build the program around and right now we have a lot of solid players but nobody that is going to take over and dominate a game when needed.

A very reliable source from the Baylor board said that all indications are that Cox wants to stay close to home due to a family situation that he would not disclose. Maybe Jones will add some legitimacy to the Baylor program that we would not have had otherwise. I think this does increase our chances of landing McCowan or Brown in 2015.

Someone asked about the number of scholarships for 2015.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes it is. Baylor needed a premier player to build the program around and right now we have a lot of solid players but nobody that is going to take over and dominate a game when needed.

A very reliable source from the Baylor board said that all indications are that Cox wants to stay close to home due to a family situation that he would not disclose. Maybe Jones will add some legitimacy to the Baylor program that we would not have had otherwise. I think this does increase our chances of landing McCowan or Brown in 2015.

Someone asked about the number of scholarships for 2015.
Thanks for saying that. I've been beating the "Cox wants to stay home" drum for a while now, and was pooh-poohed by a few posters on the board. I never said it was impossible she would leave Texas, just that indications were it would be very hard to get her out of the state for college.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Thanks for saying that. I've been beating the "Cox wants to stay home" drum for a while now, and was pooh-poohed by a few posters on the board. I never said it was impossible she would leave Texas, just that indications were it would be very hard to get her out of the state for college.

Holmes sweet Holmes! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32