A'ja Wilson's play. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson's play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't think her shorts are rolled up, I think they are custom made - just shorter than the shorts the rest of the team wears.

Many of the UA sponsored teams are now rolling waistband over, similar to Wilson. Here's an article - LINK

IMHO, you will never see UConn WBB players do this, as it's all about the team, the brand. No one stands out. Shorts are always above the knee. A few years back, saw an article that said the team decides how to wear socks ... all the same height (no one person wears knee socks, etc). You won't see them tucking the sleeve hole area into sports bra either.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tell me about it. Having a more mobile, athletic 4 with a midrange shot can be a tremendous blessing, I'm not sure why she's not embracing it.
Because she would appear to be one of those entitlement kids that Geno speaks about today.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does not cater. Everything is about the team.

RadyLady,
Just curious Katie Lou Samuelson wears her shorts the exact same way Wilson does in both high school and USA basketball. So two questions 1) Is KLS also saying “look at me”? 2) That –the rolling of short- is pretty much over when KLS gets to UCONN right?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Because she would appear to be one of those entitlement kids that Geno speaks about today.
Nonetheless, he recruited her and would have been pleased to have her come. I think he and A'ja would have established a positive relationship if that had happened -- and of course she would be a better and more versatile basketball player than she will probably become at South Carolina (although that remains to be seen).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
RadyLady,
Just curious Katie Lou Samuelson wears her shorts the exact same way Wilson does in both high school and USA basketball. So two questions 1) Is KLS also saying “look at me”? 2) That –the rolling of short- is pretty much over when KLS gets to UCONN right?
Katie will not when she is at UCONN.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nonetheless, he recruited her and would have been pleased to have her come. I think he and A'ja would have established a positive relationship if that had happened -- and of course she would be a better and more versatile basketball player than she will probably become at South Carolina (although that remains to be seen).
Yes, he did but that doesn't mean he didn't recognizre the issue. He noted that it is a becoming the constant reality because of the way these kids are catered to coming up through AAU programs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
RadyLady,

Attachments

• KLS.jpg
    KLS.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Wilson.jpg
    Wilson.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 173

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Katie will not when she is at UCONN.
Ice,
This- the rolling of the shorts- is much to do about nothing. I think these kids are rolling the shorts because that is what they are comfortable with not to call attention to themselves.
Maria Conlon wore her shorts rolled, with her Jersey flopped over so you could tell.

Attachments

• Conlon.jpg
    Conlon.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 111

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
RadyLady,
Kids do lots of things in high school. Gabby Williams got a tattoo while she was in HS. So did Kennitra Johnson, and probably a few other kids. But when they get to college, it changed. The tat gets covered. I imagine if they had a tat on their arm, they'd wear a sleeve for their entire college career if they came to UCONN.

KLS's uniform will be worn exactly the same as the rest of the team. I also was never a fan of kids rolling the shoulder part of their "tank top" uniform and twisting it for whatever reason. I'm glad UCONN doesn't allow that. Not sure why it irks me, but it does. Same with that team we played that had the 2-3 Australian kids on it. They all had different shorts. Unless there's a medical reason for it, I'm glad UCONN does not cater.

It goes back to UCONN being all about the team. It's more than uniformity of their uni's, no names on jerseys, no headbands or wrist bands, etc etc. It all relates back to the team concept and subjugation of their individuality for the betterment of the team...

BTW here's a picture of Conlon. not sure her shorts were any different than anyone elses on the team...
cb41dfefbd4ad064aa8a9eb1f60f03ea.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice,
This- the rolling of the shorts- is much to do about nothing. I think these kids are rolling the shorts because that is what they are comfortable with not to call attention to themselves.
Maria Conlon wore her shorts rolled, with her Jersey flopped over so you could tell.

Maria did not wear her shorts rolled. That is not to sat they might not roll over at some point. Companies like Underarmour love the free advertizing. Sorry but there is no way CD will tolerate that. MoJett tugs her leg hems up on D.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Speaking of KLS, Maria's hem looks a little shorter here.

But yeah, as a Husky her shorts could look a little baggy at times, but I don't remember her wearing short shorts.

0060198_2-188x300.jpg

Reaction Score
RadyLady,

Take that to the bank!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Take that to the bank!!!

UCONN has “a uniform standard”, that standard is different from SC. Not better, not worst, just different. What I take umbrage with is the statement that because Wilson wore her shorts differently (allowed by SC standard) it said “look at me - notice me” and the inferences drawn directly from that statement: that is why Wilson is not playing at UCONN: individual (Wilson) is < team (UCONN): … Geno lost interest in Wilson because ….. Wilson is just pushing UA products …etc Much to do about nothing IMO. The way Wilson wears her uniform is not relevant to critiquing or praising her game. The title of the Thread is “A'ja Wilson's play” not “A’Ja Wilson’s Uniform- does she wear it well enough? ”

Reaction Score
Ice,

True, but Maria, as Geno used to say "was short but slow"' a joke. Maria is short and I think that the long shorts sort of hinder the movement of short players. I notice many short players will hitch up the shorts while in defensive stance.

Reaction Score
Styles change. BB shorts use to be really short. Then the fashion trend for civilian shorts got long. (Emulating prison garb where the pants would droop down because no belts were allowed and the tailors in prison were not as caring as those in Brooks Brothers). Basketball uniforms picked up on the fashion trend and got longer. The fashion trend now seems to be turning to shorter shorts and the early adopters are busy popularizing the new style. Before too long, everyone will be in shorter shorts, unless some fashionista comes up with something radically different, like butt padding or air-bag head bands that prevent concussions.

There is only one good reason for long shorts, and that is to prevent road rash during falls. Short shorts make more sense in that they are less restricting to movement. If it was up to me, I'd select volley ball shorts but with longer legs as the ideal court wear. The shoulder straps would also be made of absorbent material that would enable perspiration to be easily dispatched. Besti-wear, coming soon to your sporting goods purveyor.

Reaction Score
Many of the UA sponsored teams are now rolling waistband over, similar to Wilson. Here's an article - LINK

IMHO, you will never see UConn WBB players do this, as it's all about the team, the brand. No one stands out. Shorts are always above the knee. A few years back, saw an article that said the team decides how to wear socks ... all the same height (no one person wears knee socks, etc). You won't see them tucking the sleeve hole area into sports bra either.
Does Geno still allow the kids to wear knee pads?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since we are talking about fashion now... I will say that while I swear by Under Armor products..... they have the worst uniforms in all of WCBB. Hands down the worst.

Reaction Score
Essentially all we can tell from A'ja's, er, fashion sense is that given the chance, she would choose to customize her uniform a bit.

Can we say for sure that she would deeply resist any attempt to conform to a uniform standard? Can we say for sure that no current UConn players would choose a custom touch (different short length, a t-shirt under the jersey, or what have you) if they had full freedom to do so? IMO, we can say none of these things.

Every coach is a bit different with what they may or may not allow. SC is one of the few other schools I've seen that seems to enforce a social media ban during the seasion, like UConn. But banning social media isn't the driving force behind either's success; rather, it's a 'symptom' of a broader mandate to try and keep their teams focused. We know that it's successful in UConn's case, and are not sure how focused SC will be - not enough data.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
RadyLady,

2. pretty much. At UConn, it's a uniform, emphasis on the uni - meaning one team, not one individual. CD will not allow it.

1. I should point out that this comparison is moot until Lou gets to UConn.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Ice,

world of difference between Conlon's look than Wilson's

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Essentially all we can tell from A'ja's, er, fashion sense is that given the chance, she would choose to customize her uniform a bit.

Can we say for sure that she would deeply resist any attempt to conform to a uniform standard? Can we say for sure that no current UConn players would choose a custom touch (different short length, a t-shirt under the jersey, or what have you) if they had full freedom to do so? IMO, we can say none of these things.

Every coach is a bit different with what they may or may not allow. SC is one of the few other schools I've seen that seems to enforce a social media ban during the seasion, like UConn. But banning social media isn't the driving force behind either's success; rather, it's a 'symptom' of a broader mandate to try and keep their teams focused. We know that it's successful in UConn's case, and are not sure how focused SC will be - not enough data.

having watched UConn for years, I can tell you that it has always been about the team brand, and not about the individual.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
having watched UConn for years, I can tell you that it has always been about the team brand, and not about the individual.
A team is made up individuals. I have been watching UCONN long enough to know that the players come with major personality. From the perceived “goofiness” of Stewie to the “ice princess” of Maya to the “grit” of Jen and the “swag” and “collar popping” of Diana. Big games bigger personalities that somehow were molded in to a UCONN machine. Wilson at UCONN would have been no different. Unfair and low brow of you to think that Wilson and her personality would not cut it at UCONN because of the way she wears her SC uniform.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The real problem for Wilson concerning her shorts was that they got pulled down while she was playing defense against UConn, especially on that play with 33 seconds to go in the first half when Stewie left her completely exposed with a backdoor cut lay-up that made Wilson look completely lost and defenseless

Reaction Score
A team is made up individuals. I have been watching UCONN long enough to know that the players come with major personality. From the perceived “goofiness” of Stewie to the “ice princess” of Maya to the “grit” of Jen and the “swag” and “collar popping” of Diana. Big games bigger personalities that somehow were molded in to a UCONN machine. Wilson at UCONN would have been no different. Unfair and low brow of you to think that Wilson and her personality would not cut it at UCONN because of the way she wears her SC uniform.

Different personalities yes, different unis no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom