A'ja Wilson's play. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson's play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure of your point. Never said she wouldn't be fine. :)

For the record I think she's a terrific talent. She's big, strong, and mobile. Has the potential to be a really terrific post/forward player. Maybe she has expanded skills, but that is something we've not seen and probably needs to be developed more. Wish we'd landed her!!
I agree that she has some athleticism and talent and that she has the potential as a post player. IMO, she needs a top notch post coach to work with to learn what she never learned in HS. Running around playing wherever she wanted against inferior competition in HS left her with no right hand or the post moves she would need in college. And she plays defense too high with no knee bend to be on the perimeter and doesn't appear to know how to body up inside on big posts. Hopefully they'll get her some help in the near future to realize her potential.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Was this in slow motion?

Wilson is athletic for a girl her size. But strength and skill are not the same as athleticism. She's not as athletic as Tuck or Stokes or Williams, and none of them I would say are as athletic as Deshields. Now if you were to have replaced "Wilson" with "Turner" in your sentence, it would have made sense. Turner is like a gazelle.
And The Duke freshman post could fit that description I think- Stevens?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Actually the numbers of Stevens and Turner are pretty much equal in terms of scoring and rebounds. Stevens has the better outside shot... Turner has alot more blocks... but she plays the PF while Stevens is used primarily as a SF.

Turner will get ACC rookie of the year without a doubt.. She has won ROW honors more times than Stevens.... and I think Stevens and Greenwell will split some of the votes. Interestingly..... Stevens, Turner, and Mitchell have all won the USBWA Freshman of the Week award twice each... Stevens won it again this week.

I look forward to seeing them both play Monday night..... and they both wear #11.
They are both # 11 because they both think they are #1 and they both stutter! Or Studder? :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They are both # 11 because they both think they are #1 and they both stutter! Or Studder? :)

I actually wonder why Stevens picked #11. I assume #23 was her first choice, but it was already taken by Greenwell. I like the number though.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For Wilson, I think her HS coach was messing with her head - he complained the USA coaches were using her wrong as a 4 and she should be a 3 or a 2. She as well as Turner and Stevens should be looking at Stewart as role model - mixing the inside and outside games, learning to embrace the physicality down low as well as the joy of outside and midrange jump shots. Seems like Turner and Stevens are already doing that ... Wilson based on just one game watched, not so much.

Reaction Score
When discussing Aja Wilson I'll throw in a blast from the past.......Iciss Tillis of Duke! A 6'5" that thought she was 5'6" and didn't like to bang inside and she went no where! Wilson is 6'5" and should play accordingly! Right now she's no B. Stewart! Her game right now is 15' and in!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
For Wilson, I think her HS coach was messing with her head - he complained the USA coaches were using her wrong as a 4 and she should be a 3 or a 2. She as well as Turner and Stevens should be looking at Stewart as role model - mixing the inside and outside games, learning to embrace the physicality down low as well as the joy of outside and midrange jump shots. Seems like Turner and Stevens are already doing that ... Wilson based on just one game watched, not so much.

Stevens more so than Turner, at this point in their careers. Regardless.... ND fans love Turner, Duke fans love Stevens, and SC fans love Wilson. The 2018 WNBA draft might end up being a pretty good one.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It wasn't just the coach. She had stated during her recruitment that she considered herself a guard.

Reaction Score
You obviously haven't seen Kelsey Mitchell from tOSU , in case you didn't know she leads the nation in scoring.
She shoots a lot too.

Aja and Turner are better all around players.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
She shoots a lot too.

Aja and Turner are better all around players.
I can't tell, they both play on much better teams than Mitchell. tOSU lost 3 players this season to torn ACL's. She shoots a lot, but she makes a lot as well.

Reaction Score
I agree that she has some athleticism and talent and that she has the potential as a post player. IMO, she needs a top notch post coach to work with to learn what she never learned in HS. Running around playing wherever she wanted against inferior competition in HS left her with no right hand or the post moves she would need in college. And she plays defense too high with no knee bend to be on the perimeter and doesn't appear to know how to body up inside on big posts. Hopefully they'll get her some help in the near future to realize her potential.

She does not want to be a post player. She declared that during her recruiting. Looks like she was given free reign to do what she wanted in high school and basically doesn't play any position well.

Reaction Score
She does not want to be a post player. She declared that during her recruiting. Looks like she was given free reign to do what she wanted in high school and basically doesn't play any position well.
I agree. That was my point. HS and AAU coaches cater to 6-4, athletic kids. Nobody had the foresight and nerve to tell her that at her size, unless she could defend and handle the ball like the best guards in the country, she was going to have to play inside in college to realize her potential. And that may well be the reason she's not at UConn. Geno don't cater.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. That was my point. HS and AAU coaches cater to 6-4, athletic kids. Nobody had the foresight and nerve to tell her that at her size, unless she could defend and handle the ball like the best guards in the country, she was going to have to play inside in college to realize her potential. And that may well be the reason she's not at UConn. Geno don't cater.
Bobby,
Catering though is sometimes hard to spot. For example, Vivian Stringer as part of the recruiting process for Tyler Scaife agreed to make adjustments to her offensive “if Scaife were to sign with Rutgers. Do you consider that catering? Similarly, Wilson was vocal about her desire to play guard in college. Dawn started her one game at SG and the SC roster has her listed as a guard. Is/was that catering? Most disturbing to me was that Dawn was actually put in a position of almost having to prove to Wilson that she cannot play guard in the NCAA- that to me was definitely catering!

Reaction Score
Wilson running upcourt reminds me of Rebecca Lobo as a freshman, lumbering up the floor.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think that Wilson is still not convinced. I sincerely hope that she doesn't turn into a diva aka Diggins.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I went back and watched the game, but whenever Wilson was in, I focused on her exclusively. EVERY time up the court, she moves to the left side near the 3 point line. she literally stands there barely moving. No setting screens, no moving into the paint and posting up, nothing. I'm not saying she never moved, but it was like she put down roots and stayed there for the 20 or so seconds SC tried to run offense.

When a player would put up a shot, she would move into the paint and position herself for a rebound. This is how she scored 6 of her 10 points - all came in a row on 3 successive SC possessions, and all were off of O-boards. Because she's left handed, it was easy for her to camp out over there. Because she's so big and Stewie/Stokes/Tuck were busy elsewhere, the kid trying to box her out was usually a guard, and they did not do a very good job obviously.

Now it was only 3 possessions and took place over a 4 minute stretch, but it speaks a bit to how she plays, what she does on the court offensively, and what a team can do to limit her ability to get a board and putback. I can't say I was impressed at all with her movement without the ball - it was nonexistent. But you can't argue with 3 O-boards and 6 points as a result.

Reaction Score

upload_2015-2-12_12-8-5.png

upload_2015-2-12_12-8-17.png

Reaction Score
Bobby,
Catering though is sometimes hard to spot. For example, Vivian Stringer as part of the recruiting process for Tyler Scaife agreed to make adjustments to her offensive “if Scaife were to sign with Rutgers. Do you consider that catering? Similarly, Wilson was vocal about her desire to play guard in college. Dawn started her one game at SG and the SC roster has her listed as a guard. Is/was that catering? Most disturbing to me was that Dawn was actually put in a position of almost having to prove to Wilson that she cannot play guard in the NCAA- that to me was definitely catering!
I guess both examples would be forms of catering. These college coaches are in a tough spot recruiting these kids. I understand that. They have to do a lot of bending to get the top recruits, especially in Wilson's case because she was a close, regional recruit. Probably a lot of pressure on Staley to get her and you're right, Staley is probably hoping that Wilson will get the message that she's no guard. Geno, like Summit in her day, is fortunate that he doesn't have to cater because of his success. My original point was in regard to the lack of preparation and positional training a lot of these kids fail to get in HS and AAU because a lot of those coaches like the attention of having these big, athletic kids and winning games. Particularly in the non-urban areas where there are so few of them. So they let the kids play however and wherever they want and that keeps the considerable amount of pushy parents happy too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess both examples would be forms of catering. These college coaches are in a tough spot recruiting these kids. I understand that. They have to do a lot of bending to get the top recruits, especially in Wilson's case because she was a close, regional recruit. Probably a lot of pressure on Staley to get her and you're right, Staley is probably hoping that Wilson will get the message that she's no guard. Geno, like Summit in her day, is fortunate that he doesn't have to cater because of his success. My original point was in regard to the lack of preparation and positional training a lot of these kids fail to get in HS and AAU because a lot of those coaches like the attention of having these big, athletic kids and winning games. Particularly in the non-urban areas where there are so few of them. So they let the kids play however and wherever they want and that keeps the considerable amount of pushy parents happy too.
I agree completely. Between the politics, stage parenting, lack of instruction of fundamentals -AAU and HS ball, it now takes an exceptional kid just to rise above it. In wilson's case I am really surprised that this has followed her into college. She has played on multiple USA basketball age group team most recently for Dawn. During her entire time she never played or showed the ability to play the guard position.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wilson running upcourt reminds me of Rebecca Lobo as a freshman, lumbering up the floor.

I thought she looked gangly, like she hasn't fully grown into her body yet. She'll be good, not as good as she would be if she came to UConn, of course.

Reaction Score
I went back and watched the game, but whenever Wilson was in, I focused on her exclusively. EVERY time up the court, she moves to the left side near the 3 point line. she literally stands there barely moving. No setting screens, no moving into the paint and posting up, nothing. I'm not saying she never moved, but it was like she put down roots and stayed there for the 20 or so seconds SC tried to run offense.

When a player would put up a shot, she would move into the paint and position herself for a rebound. This is how she scored 6 of her 10 points - all came in a row on 3 successive SC possessions, and all were off of O-boards. Because she's left handed, it was easy for her to camp out over there. Because she's so big and Stewie/Stokes/Tuck were busy elsewhere, the kid trying to box her out was usually a guard, and they did not do a very good job obviously.

Now it was only 3 possessions and took place over a 4 minute stretch, but it speaks a bit to how she plays, what she does on the court offensively, and what a team can do to limit her ability to get a board and putback. I can't say I was impressed at all with her movement without the ball - it was nonexistent. But you can't argue with 3 O-boards and 6 points as a result.
Yeah, that's how she's played all season. She needs to learn the pick and roll for starters...

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Does Geno not need to cater because he's successful or is one of the reasons Geno's successful because he doesn't cater?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
At the next level A'ja will never be considered or ask to play guard or for that matter a wing. Dawn should be expanding her game so she has more of a low post presence. However, in fairness to Dawn, she already has three low post players that are better then A'ja in the low post.

Reaction Score
I liked her. She did some good things. Last night I saw the game in a sports bar because I am too cheap to spring for cable or satellite but tonight I watched it again all from the start and I spent the whole time watching A'ja when she was in the game. Twenty two minutes, 10 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists with one turnover I have to rate as pretty good.

In the first half she spent all her offensive time out by the three point line kind of by the left corner. I am not a basketball genius and I am not questioning Staley but A'ja just accomplished nothing over there. Most of the time the ball went to the other side and the shot was taken from that side irrespective of the distance. Does anyone have any thoughts on this offensive alignment?

In the second half she played inside and did better but it seemed to me that she lacked the muscle to bang with Stewart or Tuck and that she was a step slower than Tuck who is pretty fast for a big player.

Anyone else have any comments?
I'm sorry but this wise has to ask. Did you order a water eat the bar snacks and not leave a tip? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom