A'ja Wilson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
And to clarify, I'm talking about dribbling the ball to the basket and dunking, not having the floor cleared and someone tossing the ball right in front of the rim for you. I'm talking about taking the ball to the hole and dunking, like Parker, Big Syl, BG, Cambage and Snow.

Ok, so if she can dunk like she did in the dunk contest, why wouldn't she be able to do it in a real game situation other than Geno doesn't like it and it's really not her personality? She can handle the ball better than anyone you mentioned.

You said you hadn't seen her ability to dunk. Now you have.

Reaction Score
Griner is the only one I've ever seen execute a real dunk. Stewart, Parker both roll the ball over the rim. To dunk you need to get your fingers about a foot higher than the basket to clear the rim with the ball in your hand. You should also be able to do a two handed dunk to claim the "skill".
Actually, I don't like the dunk in a game because it's too easy to get undercut by a defender and have your season ended.
And for what?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Griner is the only one I've ever seen execute a real dunk. Stewart, Parker both roll the ball over the rim. To dunk you need to get your fingers about a foot higher than the basket to clear the rim with the ball in your hand. You should also be able to do a two handed dunk to claim the "skill".
Actually, I don't like the dunk in a game because it's too easy to get undercut by a defender and have your season ended.
And for what?
Stewart did not roll the ball over the rim, especially the left handed dunk.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And for what?

Michelle Snow could dunk. Not sure if she still can but she could dunk with two hands cleanly.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And for what?

I disagree. I think you are less likely to get hurt because you can hang on the rim. What makes you more likely to get hurt on a dunk than a simple layup at the rim? You can still get under and players often do. I have yet to see a female player get undercut on a dunk.

Reaction Score
And to clarify, I'm talking about dribbling the ball to the basket and dunking, not having the floor cleared and someone tossing the ball right in front of the rim for you. I'm talking about taking the ball to the hole and dunking, like Parker, Big Syl, BG, Cambage and Snow.
Unless you're equipped with donuts, what's the point of dunking? It's still 2 points, just like a regular layup. Regarding Stewie, what's the point of dribbling the extra yardage to dunk when you can dunk from beyond the 3 point line and perhaps get fouled too. The ability to dribble the length of the court for a long-distance layup, perhaps with a couple Notre Dame players between you and the basket, might just be a more important skill for Stewie to exhibit during a game. (See final 4 games for examples). I'm content with leaving the dunks to the dunk-o-rama exhibitions.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Indeed there is only one reason to dunk. Fresh hot coffee or milk for kids in one hand and a classic old fashioned doughnut in the other. These must be brought together.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
She can handle the ball better than anyone you mentioned.

Take Parker out of that list and you might be onto something.

Then again, it's not a question of who has the best overall handle anyway. In this context it's just a couple of dribbles.

RE: the Dunk ------ Geno is famously schizo on this question. Does he admire the Wooden school, the beautiful movement, etc. ? Obviously. Does he prefer it over an overly physical dunk-fest type of game? It sure sounds like it from his past quotes.

But did he mention on more than one occasion that he thought Maya might try dunking it on a breakaway, and then saying how it would have been pretty cool if she'd done it? IIRC, the answer there is "yes." If Bre dunked in a game, I'd bet Geno would have a big ol' grin on his face.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Unless you're equipped with donuts, what's the point of dunking? It's still 2 points, just like a regular layup. Regarding Stewie, what's the point of dribbling the extra yardage to dunk when you can dunk from beyond the 3 point line and perhaps get fouled too. The ability to dribble the length of the court for a long-distance layup, perhaps with a couple Notre Dame players between you and the basket, might just be a more important skill for Stewie to exhibit during a game. (See final 4 games for examples). I'm content with leaving the dunks to the dunk-o-rama exhibitions.

I'm not promoting the dunk. My comment was in reference to Stewart being ABLE to dunk and me stating that I haven't seen it.

For BG the dunk is something that she can incorporate into her game naturally so for her it is a good, high percentage shot. If a payer could dunk on every shot they should as it is pretty high percentage.

Reaction Score
RE: the Dunk ------ Geno is famously schizo on this question. Does he admire the Wooden school, the beautiful movement, etc. ? Obviously. Does he prefer it over an overly physical dunk-fest type of game? It sure sounds like it from his past quotes.

But did he mention on more than one occasion that he thought Maya might try dunking it on a breakaway, and then saying how it would have been pretty cool if she'd done it? IIRC, the answer there is "yes." If Bre dunked in a game, I'd bet Geno would have a big ol' grin on his face.

IMO, he's always recognized that the dunk is not a high percentage shot for nearly all women, and has minimal interest in women dunking for the novelty's sake.

If, on the other hand, he had had Brittney Griner on his team? I imagine he'd have said a silent eulogy for the below-the-rim women's game, and then had her dunking even more than she did on Baylor. Griner is the only woman for whom the dunk is a high percentage shot, and UConn's ball movement would have probably created more dunking opportunities. There would have been friggin' alley-oops, let alone normal dunks. :D

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Indeed there is only one reason to dunk. Fresh hot coffee or milk for kids in one hand and a classic old fashioned doughnut in the other. These must be brought together.
Talking my language IB!!! Dunker from way back!!!

Reaction Score
Geno did say in one of hi pre-season interviews or early season ones, that he thinks Stewie will dunk. All of us on here are already hooked on wcbb. It won't matter if a player does or not. But other fans, particularly guys, want to see dunks. I hate the dunking contests the NBA does. I hate the home run contests MLB does. But a lot of other fans love it. If it brings more fans to the game- then good.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
well, I am not holding my breath. What that girl is able to do in a game just blows me away. Whether she can dunk or does dunk is a moot point for me. Not having the ability or having it but not utilizing it will not diminish the great player she is nor the impact she will have on the game throughout her career.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD's definitely a piece of something alright!

1. Piece of mind
2. Piece of cake

I know you didn't mean this....

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads