A'ja Wilson ~ Great Article | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson ~ Great Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'll be the contrarian - I think we doth protest too much on this particular issue re: Maya

Maya's ballhandling & dribbling is, at the WNBA level, "OK" but certainly nothing special in and of itself, and these skills are much improved since she came into the league. She's gotten especially good at the behind-the-back dribble when utilizing screens on the perimeter or when starting the fast break. And in general she is *much* more assured with the ball now than she was as a rook. But when facing the basket, she makes hay with the size of her first step and the threat of her pull-up, not with her lateral quicknes, change of direction, or out-and-out ball skills. Against many 2's and 3's in the W, she's has neither the handle nor the lateral quickness to break them down off the dribble in the classic sense, the way Seimone Augustus does (both are about 6' tall). This is simply never going to happen. But it's not a big deal. Seimone is never going to do some of the things that (only?) Maya can do, either. Each has their own particular set of athletic gifts, and they have worked hard to maximize them via a particular style of play. Maya has refined a few very good ball-fakes, crossovers, etc. to get space for her jumper. Seimone will more often use these initial moves to get space and then dribble into traffic - which is not Maya's forte. Maya would much prefer to take two power dribbles and then elevate over everyone :)

Although it would have been fun to watch Maya morph into Marques Haynes while at UCONN (just kidding), it's not terribly surprising that she didn't. For all her 3-point and fast-break prowess, she self-identified as a post (power forward) while in college, plain and simple, *not* a guard in any way, shape or form. As I've said before, I think Maya's ballhandling will continue to improve in the pros.....mostly because at her current position it makes a bigger difference than it used to at UCONN. But Maya Moore is very likely the best player in women's basketball "off the ball." This requires completely different instincts than being a great player "with the ball" (DT would be on the short list here). Why would anyone be surprised that the greatest(IMO) 'off the ball' player is not a super ballhandler?

Having said all this, Candace Parker is a superb ballhandler, full stop, and anyone who thinks that Maya's handle -- taken in isolation -- is anywhere close to CP3's is simply not watching the game very closely...at all. Their games are very different. We diminish the genuine compliments we pay to our own favored players when we understate the level of the competition with such unnecessarily broad strokes.

I don't recall anyone saying in this thread that Maya is a superb ball-handler. She isn't. There's a big difference between saying that -- which I don't think any UConn fan said in this thread -- with saying she can "barely dribble" or left UConn "without handles" whatever the h_ell that means. Ball-handling is not the strongest part of Maya's game though she has improved playing in the WNBA where she plays on the wing instead of the post where she played at UConn. Maya played the power forward in a college offense that emphasized cutting and passing more than taking defenders off the dribble in 1-on-1 play. She's an absolutely superb passer, a skill that was improved at UConn and has carried over to the WNBA. Maya's ball-handling has improved and will continue to do so as she continues to handle it more on the perimeter and learns more about the pace of the game. I heard an interview recently in which she talked about slowing down and not going too fast which has always been one of her issues handling the ball.

No one in this thread said Parker is not a superb ball-handler. She is, particularly for her size, but even she has to give the ball up when pressured by smaller, quicker defenders. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread, however.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyone knows if you want to develop into the best player you can be, win national championships, and have maximum media exposure you go to UConn. This is universally accepted like the sun rising in the east. If a player doesn't want those things, then go elsewhere. It's really not a difficult choice if you're a top recruit.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't recall anyone saying in this thread that Maya is a superb ball-handler. She isn't. There's a big difference between saying that -- which I don't think any UConn fan said in this thread -- with saying she can "barely dribble" or left UConn "without handles" whatever the h_ell that means. Ball-handling is not the strongest part of Maya's game though she has improved playing in the WNBA where she plays on the wing instead of the post where she played at UConn. Maya played the power forward in a college offense that emphasized cutting and passing more than taking defenders off the dribble in 1-on-1 play. She's an absolutely superb passer, a skill that was improved at UConn and has carried over to the WNBA. Maya's ball-handling has improved and will continue to do so as she continues to handle it more on the perimeter and learns more about the pace of the game. I heard an interview recently in which she talked about slowing down and not going too fast which as always been one of her having a better feel for the pace of the game a

No one in this thread said Parker is not a superb ball-handler. She is, particularly for her size, but even she has to give the ball up when pressured by smaller, quicker defenders. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread, however.
I confess. I posted this - "She dribbled and dribbles better than your 6'4" point guard".

Personally, I think that saying Parker is a superb dribbler without qualifying it with "for 6'4" is as silly as saying that Moore can barely dribble.

Now, that guard from UCF? That is one superb dribbler.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Faulty logic. Tennessee doesn't have Candace Parker. That train has pulled out of the station. Perhaps she could play with Candace some day, and the best chance of that happening would be four years with Geno. Not 4 years with Holly.
I know she is not on the team now. She is on campus now, and has been back a few times since she graduated. The current players have met her. The banner raising tonight is to celebrate her career. Btw A'ja has modeled her game after Parker.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I know she is not on the team now. She is on campus now, and has been back a few times since she graduated. The current players have met her. The banner raising tonight is to celebrate her career. Btw A'ja has modeled her game after Parker.

No, she compares herself to Parker's game. Now she wants to be like Stewie.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I understand that.

I was speaking to BYers responses (protesting too much) being similarly hyperbolic in the other direction, or implying that because she wins her game must not have weaknesses.

Expecting UConn fans to respond rationally to hyperbole from Tennessee fans seems a bit much, no?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No, she compares herself to Parker's game. Now she wants to be like Stewie.
Exactly. something's not right - she supposedly doesn't want to play in the post, but that's what Parker is - a post player. But the fact remains that A'ja has been quoted as saying that Parker is her role model, and that she has fashioned her game after Parker's. Can't deny that. Also, A'ja is super excited to meet Parker this weekend in Tennessee. It's a brilliant move to have Wilson in Tennessee the weekend they retire Parker's jersey. Candace will get a ton of time to spend with A'ja and help the Vols recruit her.

But Aja's also friends with Stewie and they keep in touch (not sure how frequently), but A'ja certainly built a terrific bond with UCONN players when she played on the US Junior team with Stewie, Morgan and Moriah. And she'd get to play with them for 2 years if she were to come to UCONN.

I wonder if Candace will remind A'ja the comment she made to Delle Donne - that Elena made the right choice in choosing UCONN over Tennessee...;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that UConn probably leads for Wilson, but she said she was very impressed by the coaches and that's why she's visiting. She has a good relationship if twitter is to be an indicator, with Graves, Reynolds, Burdick, and Russell. And we can sell the chance to dethrone UConn and put the greatest all time women's basketball program back on top. We only lose simmons (which will be a positive in some ways for next year) and bring in a solid group if good glue players to go around the next superstar in Knoxville.

I remember when it was Simmons who was going to be the next Lawson. And Harrison was going to be the next superstar. And I distinctly remember reading that Mercedes Russell was the next Parker.

Every year there is another recruiting target that, if signed, will lead the LV's back to the top of the mountain. It's just like "Groundhog Day".

Reaction Score

Well, we know it certainly isn't to celebrate a National Championship or even a Final Four because Tennessee has not been to one of those since 2008.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Consider yourself woken. She won the China Women's League Championship last February.

"Maya Moore scored 34 points (including a perfect 14-14 from the line) and grabbed 16 rebounds as Shanxi Xing Rui Flame defeated Liz Cambage and Zhejiang Far East 97-87 in the deciding Game 4 of the China Women's League Championship on February 5. Cambage scored 29 points and pulled down 11 rebounds for Zheijiang, who dropped the best-of-five-game series 3-1"
I was going to say that (0r something similar, maybe not in as nice a way :rolleyes:), but wasn't sure if any of her teammates where Olympians for the Chinese team. But looking at the Chinese roster I don't see any players from Shanxi Xing Rui Flame. So I guess the wake up call works. :D

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I don't think either Tennessee or UCONN leads. I think it's SC all the way. She's been there multiple times. I hope I am wrong. She is a force of nature.
I think if she was going to So Carolina- she would have announced earlier. I think her late announcement means she is not going to So Carolina. Just my opinion. Not saying she is coming here!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
UConn is the best program now. No debate. However all time, we've never missed a tournament. You have. More NCAA tournament wins, final fours, all time wins, etc. We've been at or near the top longer than anybody. A'ja has the chance to be the second number one player in the country in a row to go to tennessee and if she goes to Tennessee next year, we will have the deepest, most talented team in the country. As Mercedes develops in the low post, she and A'ja would absolutely dominate. Next year's team would be incredible considering we lose Simmons and would bring in 4 extremely talented players. And if in four years of playing, we got multiple titles and continued to gain top recruits, yes, UConn would be dethroned. Would you guys still be at the top? Sure. Would the ESPN announcers be handing you the title in December? Probably not.
Vol Fan- Duke has 2 Nat POY's--- and a load of experienced highly ranked experienced players. Why do you think we continue to dominate them?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think that UConn probably leads for Wilson, but she said she was very impressed by the coaches and that's why she's visiting. She has a good relationship if twitter is to be an indicator, with Graves, Reynolds, Burdick, and Russell. And we can sell the chance to dethrone UConn and put the greatest all time women's basketball program back on top. We only lose simmons (which will be a positive in some ways for next year) and bring in a solid group if good glue players to go around the next superstar in Knoxville.
Lololololol at uconn we can sell the fact we're so great that other teams have to tell recruits that they would have the opportunity to dethrone us if they came there.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson's Freshman year at Tennessee would look as follows:

13 Scholarship Players

Andraya Carter 5'9" - So. Guard
Janah Tucker, 6'0" So. guard
Jordan Reynolds, 5'11" So. Guard
Jaimie Nared, 6'1" Fr. Guard
Alex Middleton, 5'9" Fr. Guard
Kortney Dunbar, 6'1" Fr. Guard
Ariel Massengale, 5'7" Sr. Guard

Rashara Graves, 6'2" Jr. Forward
Jasmine Jones, 6'2" Jr. Forward
Cierra Burdick, 6'2" Forward

A'ja Wilson, 6'5" Fr. Center
Isabelle Harrison, 6'3" Sr. Center
Mercedes Russell, 6'6" So. Center

Probable Starters: Ariel Massengale, Andraya Carter / Janah Tucker, Rashara Graves, Isabelle Harrison, Mercedes Russell

A'ja Wilson's Freshman year at UConn would look as follows:

12 Scholarship Players

Saniya Chong 5'8" So. Guard
Moriah Jefferson 5' 7" Jr. Guard
Brianna Banks 5'9" Sr. Guard
Courtney Ekmark 6'0" Fr. Guard
Sadie Edwards 5'10" Fr. Guard
Gabby Williams 5'11' Fr. Guard
Kia Nurse 5'11" Fr. Guard
Tierney Lawlor 5'7 So. Guard - (Walk-on???)
Briana Pulido 5'7" Jr. Guard - (Walk-on???)

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis 6'0" Sr. Forward
Morgan Tuck 6'2" Jr. Forward
Breanna Stewart 6'4" Jr. Forward

A'ja Wilson 6'5" Fr. Center
Kiah Stokes 6'3" Sr. Center

Probable Starters: Moriah Jefferson, Saniya Chong, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck / Kiah Stokes

A'ja Wilson's freshman year at North Carolina will look like the following:

15 Scholarship Players

Jaimie Cherry 5'7" Fr. Gaurd
Allisha Gray 6'0" So. Guard
Diamon DeShields 6'1" So. Guard
Jessica Washington 6'1" So. Guard
Meagan Buckland 6'0" Jr. Guard
D'Nea Bryant 6'0" Jr. Guard
Latifiah Coleman 5'9" Sr. Guard
Danielle Butts 5'10" Sr. Guard
Brittany Roundtree 5'9 Sr. Guard
Erica Johnson 6'1" Sr. Guard

Stephanie Mavunga 6'3" So. Forward
Hillary Fuller 6'2" So. Forward
Hillary Summer 6'2" So. Forward
Xylina McDaniel 6'2" Jr. Forward

Probable Starters: Diamond DeShields, Xylina McDaniel, Stephanie Mavunga, Allisha Gray, Jessica Washington

A'ja Wilson's Freshman year at South Carolina will look like the following:

15 Scholarship players

Kaydra Duckett 5'10" Fr. Guard
Bianca Cuevas 5'6" Fr. Guard
Olivia Gaines 5'7" So. Guard
Khadijah Sessions 5'8" So. Guard
Tiffany Davis 5'7" So. Guard
LeAnna Morrison 5'5" Jr. Guard
Tina Roy 5'11" Jr. Guard
Tiffany Mitchell 5'9" Jr. Guard
Asia Dozier 6'0" Sr. Guard / Forward

Jatarie White 6'4" Fr. Forward
India Farmer 6'0" Jr. Forward
Aleighsa Welch 6'0" Sr. Forward

Alaina Coates 6'4" So. Center
Elem Ibiam 6'4" Sr. Center

Probable starters: Tiffany Mitchell, Aleighsa Welch, Khadijah Sessions, Asia Dozier, Elem Ibiam / laina Coates,

A'ja Wilson's sophomore year at Tennessee will look like the following:

11 Scholarship players (plus recruits ?????)

Andraya Carter 5'9" - Jr. Guard
Janah Tucker 6'0" Jr. guard
Jordan Reynolds, 5'11" Jr. Guard
Jaimie Nared 6'1" So. Guard
Alex Middleton 5'9" So. Guard
Kortney Dunbar 6'1" So. Guard

Rashara Graves 6'2" - Sr. Forward
Jasmine Jones 6'2" Sr. Forward

Nia Moore, 6'3" Sr. Center,
Mercedes Russell 6'6" Jr. Center
A'ja Wilson 6'5" So. Center

Recruits?????

Probable Starters: Jamie Nared, Andraya Carter / Janah Tucker, Rashara Graves, A'ja Wilson, Mercedes Russell

A'ja Wilson's Sophomore Year at UConn will look like the following:

9 Scholarship players (Possibly 13)

Asia Durr 5'10" Fr. Guard ????
Saniya Chong 5'8" Jr. Guard
Moriah Jefferson 5' 7" Sr. Guard
Courtney Ekmark 6'0" So. Guard
Sadie Edwards 5'10" So. Guard
Gabby Williams 5'11' So. Guard
Kia Nurse 5'11" So. Guard

De'Janae Boykin 6'2" So. Forward ???? - (Recruiting Target)
Katie-Lou Samuelson 6'3" Fr. Forward ???? - (Recruiting Target )
Morgan Tuck 6'2" Sr. Forward
Breanna Stewart 6'4" Sr. Forward

Kalani Brown 6'4" Fr. Center ???? - (Recruiting Target)

Probable Starters: Moriah Jefferson, Gabby Williams, Morgan Tuck, Breanna Stewart, A'ja Wilson

A'ja Wison's Sophomore year at North Carolina will look as follows:

11 Scholarship Players (plus Recruits????)

Jaimie Cherry 5'7" So. Gaurd
Allisha Gray 6'0" Jr. Guard
Diamon DeShields 6'1" Jr. Guard
Jessica Washington 6'1" Jr. Guard
Meagan Buckland 6'0" Sr. Guard
D'Nea Bryant 6'0" Sr. Guard

Stephanie Mavunga 6'3" Jr. Forward
Hillary Fuller 6'2" Jr. Forward
Hillary Summer 6'2" Jr. Forward
Xylina McDaniel 6'2" Sr. Forward

Recruits?????

Probable Starters: Diamond DeShields, Xylina McDaniel, Stephanie Mavunga, Allisha Gray, Jessica Washington - Who sits to make room for A'ja Wilson?????

A'ja Wilson's Sophomore year at South Carolina will look like the following:

12 Scholarship players (plus recruits????)

Kaydra Duckett 5'10" So. Guard
Bianca Cuevas 5'6" So. Guard
Olivia Gaines 5'7" Jr. Guard
Khadijah Sessions 5'8" Jr. Guard
Tiffany Davis 5'7" Jr. Guard
LeAnna Morrison 5'5" Sr. Guard
Tina Roy 5'11" Sr. Guard
Tiffany Mitchell 5'9" Sr. Guard

Jatarie White 6'4" So. Forward
India Farmer 6'0" Sr. Forward

Alaina Coates 6'4" Jr. Center

Recruits?????

Probable starters: Bianca Cuevas, Khadijah Sessions, Jetarie White, A'ja Wilson, laina Coates,

Either way the way I see it A'ja Wilson will be starting for either Tennessee, South Carolina or UConn by her sophomore year. She will probably see significant minutes as a freshman for either team. I see some problems with A'ja Wilson starting at North Carolina her sophomore year not because she doesn't have the talent but because overall youth of North Carolina with Diamond and Mavunga starting for two years and Washington, Xylina and Gray all starting for 3 plus years who is going to give up their spot? Who sits?

All teams appear to be guard heavy with North Carolina and South Carolina being obscenely guard heavy with UConn and North Carolina being slightly thinner in the post than Tennessee and South Carolina. The word on the street is that A'ja wants to play the wing...however, at 6'5" I just don't see anyway she doesn't play the Center position. All four of her final choice schools will need her in the post...they are all heavy at the guard position and relatively thin at the post.

I can easily see her be used in Geno's system in much the same way as Stefanie Dolson is utilized. Play the post and pop out to shoot the foul line / 3 point extended jumper. She can also be interchanged like matching bookends with Breanna Stewart. One could play the post and the other the wing and then they could exchange roles. It would be a very flexible front court. With the new 10 second clock teams need fast guards to bring the ball up.

Finally, let's face it any of the four teams would have a good chance of making the final four with A'ja Wilson on their roster but, UConn and Tennessee have the strongest line-up with regards to being a viable contender for a national championship. A'ja Wilson will put either UConn or Tennessee over the top if she joins them in my opinion. Also I believe that UConn has a better chance of defeating a Tennessee team with A'ja Wilson on it than Tenn has of defeating a CT team with A'ja Wilson on it.

This is my predictions depending on where A'ja eventually goes.

Wilson on UConn = 3/4 Championships
Wilson on Tenn = 2/3 Championships
Wilson on North Carolina = 1 or 2 championships
Wilson on South Carolina = 0 - 1 championships

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

I remember when it was Simmons who was going to be the next Lawson. And Harrison was going to be the next superstar. And I distinctly remember reading that Mercedes Russell was the next Parker.

Every year there is another recruiting target that, if signed, will lead the LV's back to the top of the mountain. It's just like "Groundhog Day".

I am tempted to say that Pat was "a God, not THE God", but, it's Geno that's been accused of beatification. Plus, there is a very slight resemblance, and there is a PA city 'tude involved..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well Tennessee is certainly making a case for needing help in the first half against LSU.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well Wilson has seen UT's offense, average at best. She has seen Uconn's offense, one of the best. Which will she choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom