A'ja Wilson ~ Great Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson ~ Great Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There are four teams waiting on her decision. Tennessee has one thing the others don't. Candace Parker her role model and favorite player. I'm sure that the visit will have some effect on her decision. Now one of the four teams will be very happy when she announces her choice.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There are four teams waiting on her decision. Tennessee has one thing the others don't. Candace Parker her role model and favorite player. I'm sure that the visit will have some effect on her decision. Now one of the four teams will be very happy when she announces her choice.
And UCONN has several things the others don't, but to your point, Breanna Stewart, who already is better than Parker (as of right now, not Parker in college) in every aspect with the exception of strength and post moves. Stewie has the better perimeter game, the better mid range game, and is light years ahead of Candace in ball handling ability. I'm not sure if Parker has the left handed AND right handed baby sky hook, but if she did I doubt she had it in college. Bottom line, like it or not, Stewie is the superior player comparing them in college, and even superior comparing them now. So if A'ja really wants to be the best she can be, Parker is ancient history. Stewie is current history.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think that UConn probably leads for Wilson, but she said she was very impressed by the coaches and that's why she's visiting. She has a good relationship if twitter is to be an indicator, with Graves, Reynolds, Burdick, and Russell. And we can sell the chance to dethrone UConn and put the greatest all time women's basketball program back on top. We only lose simmons (which will be a positive in some ways for next year) and bring in a solid group if good glue players to go around the next superstar in Knoxville.
Your living in the past VolFan. Tenn was a was and to get back to where they were and not only them but all WCBB programs you are 20 years away. It took Geno over 20 years to get to this point. What makes you think that Tenn or any other team can get there soon especially with all the parity now in WCBB. ND LVille have a chance if they get the players. Tenn now has the talent, they have a 6'6 freshman who isn't starting and who needs to be developed for Tenn to have a chance. What Pat did for WCBB was unmatched in her era. Geno is at a different level then any program in WCBB. We are now in the Geno Era and everybody else is playing catch up. Other programs are trying to make the FF, UConn is taking that for granted and trying to Win NCs. With Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson and their incoming class they are the favorite to win the NC for the next 3 years. What will it take for Tenn to be the favorite to win the SEC the next 3 years. I don't mean that to be mean I'm trying to bring reality to you and show you where UConn is compared to all the other programs. With the verbal's to UConn the influx of top players over the next 4 years will allow Geno to choose the cream of the crop. UConn is at a point where top players who want to win NCs will come to play at UConn and those who are not willing to pay the price will go elsewhere. At UConn there are no should've been or could've been there are only winners who are willing to pay the price to win a NC.

Reaction Score
UConn is the best program now. No debate. However all time, we've never missed a tournament. You have. More NCAA tournament wins, final fours, all time wins, etc. We've been at or near the top longer than anybody. A'ja has the chance to be the second number one player in the country in a row to go to tennessee and if she goes to Tennessee next year, we will have the deepest, most talented team in the country. As Mercedes develops in the low post, she and A'ja would absolutely dominate. Next year's team would be incredible considering we lose Simmons and would bring in 4 extremely talented players. And if in four years of playing, we got multiple titles and continued to gain top recruits, yes, UConn would be dethroned. Would you guys still be at the top? Sure. Would the ESPN announcers be handing you the title in December? Probably not.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
UConn is the best program now. No debate. However all time, we've never missed a tournament. You have. More NCAA tournament wins, final fours, all time wins, etc. We've been at or near the top longer than anybody. A'ja has the chance to be the second number one player in the country in a row to go to tennessee and if she goes to Tennessee next year, we will have the deepest, most talented team in the country. As Mercedes develops in the low post, she and A'ja would absolutely dominate. Next year's team would be incredible considering we lose Simmons and would bring in 4 extremely talented players. And if in four years of playing, we got multiple titles and continued to gain top recruits, yes, UConn would be dethroned. Would you guys still be at the top? Sure. Would the ESPN announcers be handing you the title in December? Probably not.
So, now we are looking at 1987-88 to compare the programs? That is the last time Uconn didn't make the tournament. Really dumb.

As JS said "TN hasn't been the best program since about the turn of this century.".

I don't think anything before that is relevant to comparing where the two programs are now and where they are in the near future.

More tournament wins, more NCAA appearances, final fours and all time wins are a product of more years you are looking at. Are you starting when Pat started? So, shouldn't you start over once Warlick took over?

Tennessee hasn't made a final four in 6 years, and you think that somehow they will win multiple titles? Neither will probably happen but more likely than your dream scenario, Uconn gets Wilson to add to the 4 great, and I mean GREAT 2014 recruiting class and win this year and the next 4 years. That would be your nightmare.

No one is handing the title to Uconn. But most sane folks can see how much of a favorite they are.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Your history facts of Tennessee's woman's success,remind me of an eighty year old man on a park bench shouting....back in, my day.......That was then and this is now.Taking nothing away from Tennessee's recent recruiting success,until Connecticut slides back to the pack,or Tennessee vaults to the front,all the talent in the world by the ratings of the rating services means little,if the results are Connecticut,then everyone else.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well everybody needs a Dream and I guess thats yours. As I said your living in the past and now your explaining everything with a lot of "IF's". Fact is Tenns development of players has not been good. Tenns showing in the NCAAs over the past few years has not been great. Now your talking about dethroning UConn. Tenn lost to who was it Middle Tenn and Louisville a team UConn beat by 30+. You have a long way to go to accomplish that. I don't think you understand how long it takes to build chemistry and get the right players and get them all on the same page. Tenn has always had HS AAs and Tenn has struggled with them. Remember when Maya Caroline and EDD told Tenn and Pat NO. Tenn had a lot of talent and lost to Ball State. I kept saying Pat just grabbed everybody she could and lacked a point guard as well as ball handlers to run the offense. Her teams lacked perimeter defense. You need more then talent in todays WCBB games. Everybodys got talent. Its what you do with that talent that seperates the UConn from everybody else. Tenn has not shown me that yet. Look at this years team. You have Stanford and ND on your schedule and UNC. The SEC is as weak as the AAC. I will give you this. IF you get Wilson you have a chance to compete but a lot depends on the development of Russell and building team chemistry. Let me give you an example about development. Stef Dolson. Compare her to other top teams post players. Genos done a great job with her and is doing a great job getting Breanna better. Now why would a great HS player go any place other then UConn if Basketball is a priority? If BB is not a priority then maybe they don't belong at UConn.

Last edited by a moderator:

JS

Reaction Score
Tony -

I love you and can't imagine the Boneyard without you, but here's
a tip conveyed by the player bio of the "other Stewie:"
long-paragraphs1.JPG

JS

Reaction Score
UConn is the best program now. No debate. However all time, we've never missed a tournament. You have. More NCAA tournament wins, final fours, all time wins, etc. We've been at or near the top longer than anybody.
UConn has made every NCAA tournament since 1989. There's a kind of desperation in claiming to be, as judged now, the "greatest program ever" based on results from before UConn came on the national scene courtesy of Geno Auriemma.

Again, I'll cede you the 20th century. You should concede the 21st to date.

And the overall greatest program? Not exactly the same question as the greatest coach, but as of now and absent further history, it might as well be.

After last year's NC, and based on performance measures eliminating the "cumulative" numbers vol fans like to advance to take advantage of Pat's earlier start, Geno had arguably drawn even with her and was in process of surpassing her as the greatest ever.

IMO this process will be complete sooner rather than later. And that's without even considering the head-to-head record in the regular season and/or for the national championship, which lopsidedly favors UConn.

Flipping back from greatest coach to greatest program, I see no evidence that the LV program in the post-Summitt era will take the mantle back from UConn, but you're a good fan of your team and you have your hopes.

I applaud you for that. Hope does spring eternal.

In the meantime, let me see. Would I rather be a UConn fan or a TN fan? Um, . . . tough choice. Give me a minute with this . . .

Fooled ya. I'll take UConn, and call it the greatest WCBB program ever

Last edited:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Still with the Maya has no handles? I would have thought the Vols fans had dropped that old canard by now, especially after Maya won her 2nd WNBA championship (in 3 seasons) and was the Finals MVP. Clearly her time at UConn has hurt her professional career.

Wake me when she wins a title without other Olympians on the roster, because she certainly didn't win a title at UConn without other AAs, including a NPOY on the roster along her side. As for the handles, it's true. She left UConn and could barely dribble and Geno pointed out her weakness, but never fixed it. What's that saying about glass houses?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wake me when she wins a title without other Olympians on the roster, because she certainly didn't win a title at UConn without other AAs, including a NPOY on the roster along her side. As for the handles, it's true. She left UConn and could barely dribble and Geno pointed out her weakness, but never fixed it. What's that saying about glass houses?

Those in glass houses should dress in the basement. Is that the one?

Your over the top comments make you the wonderful troll you are. Barely dribble my a##. She dribbled and dribbles better than your 6'4" point guard.

No college players that she played with were Olympians at the time they played together so your statement is just bullshot. Future Olympians, yes. But using that as a way to diminish Moore's accomplishments just adds to your trolling.

What a moron (going old school on you).

Reaction Score

OK you've thrown your stone, now go home.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Oh stop. You and other Vol fans continue to embarrass yourselves over Maya Moore. Actually, saying that Maya Moore can "barely dribble" is beyond embarrassing; it's just stupid. A player who can "barely dribble" doesn't become WNBA Finals MVP. A player who can "barely dribble" doesn't win 3 Wade Tropies and isn't a 4-time All-American.

Vol fans like you can't let go of the fact that she chose UConn over Tennessee, won multiple Wade trophies, national championships and now WNBA championships. Vol fans spent years attacking her mother and haven't stopped criticizing Maya's game as she continues to win championships and awards.

Wake me when Vols fans stop blaming coaches and teammates for Parker not winning a WNBA championship.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When Maya was at UCONN it wasn't that she had no handle it was that she simply was not flash and always choose the simplest path to achieving her goals. Playing in the WNBA requires different skills. She still uses them as necessary. Maya never has been one to waste energy to fulfill the same goals when an easier path is available.

Check how many times she lost the ball to people off the dribble by them taking the ball away from her. It didn't happen. In that manner she was much like Kelly Faris. Flash wasn't necessary to be solid fundamentally.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Hmmmm. For years the Lynx continued to get attractive picks in the draft, including future World Cup players and Olympians, due to performing poorly regardless of those picks. When one of those attractive picks became Maya Moore they suddenly became champions, yet we are to credit the other Olympians for her success? That's the kind of reasoning I'd expect from another fan board .... oh, wait. Meanwhile, a certain other supremely talented player gets POY honors playing alongside the likes of Ogwumike and Tolliver ..... with once again no WNBA championship to show for it.

As for "handles," Justavistor picks an unmeasurable trait as a flaw to subjectively harp on. How convenient! Let's pick a measurable trait and see how Moore fares shall we? Pick any measurable trait you'd like.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has one thing the others don't. Candace Parker her role model and favorite player. I'm sure that the visit will have some effect on her decision.
Faulty logic. Tennessee doesn't have Candace Parker. That train has pulled out of the station. Perhaps she could play with Candace some day, and the best chance of that happening would be four years with Geno. Not 4 years with Holly.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Faulty logic. Tennessee doesn't have Candace Parker. That train has pulled out of the station. Perhaps she could play with Candace some day, and the best chance of that happening would be four years with Geno. Not 4 years with Holly.
Great point, Bestie.....

It seems that the Tennessee fans think that Pat is still there. Sorry, but that wonderfully fiery coach that could get great performance with just a glare has moved on. In her place is a lifelong assistant. To think that she will just keep things going as it was is just wishful thinking.

There hasn't been one player that Warlick has coached as a head coach that has graduated yet. So who knows how she will develop players and prepare them for the WNBA? That hasn't been determined yet.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Early nominee for dumbest post of the year. Bonus points for losing all credibility as a BoneYarder.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'll be the contrarian - I think we doth protest too much on this particular issue re: Maya

Maya's ballhandling & dribbling is, at the WNBA level, "OK" but certainly nothing special in and of itself, and these skills are much improved since she came into the league. She's gotten especially good at the behind-the-back dribble when utilizing screens on the perimeter or when starting the fast break. And in general she is *much* more assured with the ball now than she was as a rook. But when facing the basket, she makes hay with the size of her first step and the threat of her pull-up, not with her lateral quicknes, change of direction, or out-and-out ball skills. Against many 2's and 3's in the W, she's has neither the handle nor the lateral quickness to break them down off the dribble in the classic sense, the way Seimone Augustus does (both are about 6' tall). This is simply never going to happen. But it's not a big deal. Seimone is never going to do some of the things that (only?) Maya can do, either. Each has their own particular set of athletic gifts, which they have worked hard to maximize via a particular style of play. Maya has refined a few very good ball-fakes, crossovers, etc. to get space for her jumper. Seimone will more often use these initial moves to get space and then dribble into traffic - which is not Maya's forte. Maya would much prefer to take two power dribbles and then elevate over everyone :)

Although it would have been fun to watch Maya morph into Marques Haynes while at UCONN (just kidding), it's not terribly surprising that she didn't. For all her 3-point and fast-break prowess, she self-identified as a post (power forward) while in college, plain and simple, *not* a guard in any way, shape or form. As I've said before, I think Maya's ballhandling will continue to improve in the pros.....mostly because at her current position it makes a bigger difference than it used to at UCONN. But Maya Moore is very likely the best player in women's basketball "off the ball." This requires completely different instincts than being a great player "with the ball" (DT would be on the short list here). Why would anyone be surprised that the greatest(IMO) 'off the ball' player is not a super ballhandler?

Having said all this, Candace Parker is a superb ballhandler, full stop, and anyone who thinks that Maya's handle -- taken in isolation -- is anywhere close to CP3's is simply not watching the game very closely...at all. Their games are very different. We diminish the genuine compliments we pay to our own favored players when we understate the level of the competition with such unnecessarily broad strokes.

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I'll be the contrarian - I think we doth protest too much on this particular issue re: Maya

Maya's ballhandling & dribbling is, at the WNBA level, "OK" but certainly nothing special in and of itself, and these skills are much improved since she came into the league. She's gotten especially good at the behind-the-back dribble when utilizing screens on the perimeter or when starting the fast break. And in general she is *much* more assured with the ball now than she was as a rook. But when facing the basket, she makes hay with the size of her first step and the threat of her pull-up, not with her lateral quicknes, change of direction, or out-and-out ball skills. Against many 2's and 3's in the W, she's has neither the handle nor the lateral quickness to break them down off the dribble in the classic sense, the way Seimone Augustus does (both are about 6' tall). This is simply never going to happen. But it's not a big deal. Seimone is never going to do some of the things that (only?) Maya can do, either. Each has their own particular set of athletic gifts, and they have worked hard to maximize them via a particular style of play. Maya has refined a few very good ball-fakes, crossovers, etc. to get space for her jumper. Seimone will more often use these initial moves to get space and then dribble into traffic - which is not Maya's forte. Maya would much prefer to take two power dribbles and then elevate over everyone :)

Although it would have been fun to watch Maya morph into Marques Haynes while at UCONN (just kidding), it's not terribly surprising that she didn't. For all her 3-point and fast-break prowess, she self-identified as a post (power forward) while in college, plain and simple, *not* a guard in any way, shape or form. As I've said before, I think Maya's ballhandling will continue to improve in the pros.....mostly because at her current position it makes a bigger difference than it used to at UCONN. But Maya Moore is very likely the best player in women's basketball "off the ball." This requires completely different instincts than being a great player "with the ball" (DT would be on the short list here). Why would anyone be surprised that the greatest(IMO) 'off the ball' player is not a super ballhandler?

Having said all this, Candace Parker is a superb ballhandler, full stop, and anyone who thinks that Maya's handle -- taken in isolation -- is anywhere close to CP3's is simply not watching the game very closely...at all. Their games are very different. We diminish the genuine compliments we pay to our own favored players when we understate the level of the competition with such unnecessarily broad strokes.

"barely dribble" was the description...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are still a lot of bad feelings here with Tenn. We took Maya right out of their backyard. Caroline had attended Pats BB camp and came to UConn. EDD after the LV fans painted their rock for her and after so many LVs attended her HS games she came to UConn. That was the demise of Tenn and Pat and that's why the 37 page report of allegations came about and was fed to the shredder. Tenns accomplishments are a memory just like the .0002 seconds0f in the Baylor game, and Clockwork Orange in the RU game and all the games when Tenn couldn't throw the ball in the ocean for a basket but were bailed out with 40+ foul shots. Nothing like living in the past. Tenn is a has been and your trying to resurrect them as a could've been. Bottom line Tenn is still trying to make the FF. Heck if UConn continues to make it every year many will think they got a bye or its the UConn Invitational. LOL Your dreams of Tenn dethroning UConn are halucinations. Remember this. As great as you think Pat was (past tense) She has a losing record against Geno and has never beaten him in a NC. So let me ask you....how do you think Holly will be able to dethrone Geno????

Reaction Score
Beyond the relative merits of the various schools still vying for her commitment, UConn would seem to be perfectly set up for her career. Geno has a wealth of very talented guard/wing players lined up to play with her, Stef is graduating, Kia will have only one year and she'll be alongside Stewie. Can't think of a better situation to step into.

Jim

Reaction Score
Consider yourself woken. She won the China Women's League Championship last February.

"Maya Moore scored 34 points (including a perfect 14-14 from the line) and grabbed 16 rebounds as Shanxi Xing Rui Flame defeated Liz Cambage and Zhejiang Far East 97-87 in the deciding Game 4 of the China Women's League Championship on February 5. Cambage scored 29 points and pulled down 11 rebounds for Zheijiang, who dropped the best-of-five-game series 3-1"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Exactly, as I said tell me how many times Maya had the ball stolen from her off the dribble. It didn't happen. She used the skills she needed. She has developed more now as needed but she was vastly better than "could barely dribble."

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I understand that.

I was speaking to BYers responses (protesting too much) being similarly hyperbolic in the other direction, or implying that because she wins her game must not have weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom