Aidan Mahaney | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure why he would go to Kentucky with the plethora of guards they are bringing in. Pt in question there
that's true. especially Butler, etc. We need guards so it seems like the perfect fit but only time will tell. which one do you feel more confident in, Brea or Mahaney( or are you confident we can get both).

Reaction Score
that's true. especially Butler, etc. We need guards so it seems like the perfect fit but only time will tell. which one do you feel more confident in, Brea or Mahaney( or are you confident we can get both).
Who knows, my preference is both

Reaction Score
As maybe a final note, I think we basically agree. Nobody said we should go all 1and done, the implication was more that getting a string of one and dones would be enticed by Castle’s example. That remains to be seen, as well as whether any can be such a successful contributor in one season. As you said, DH would likely not take just anyone.
I think it's reasonable to assume that being successful at getting Castle to where he wanted to go will tell others that they can do it as well. Now, it may not matter because i doubt we will be doing it very often anyways, but it is reasonable to say that doing something demonstrates to others that it can be done, and could lead to it being done again.
Will it happen again? Probably, but not often.

Reaction Score
You could say why would he come to UConn with the plethora of guards they already have. Comparing plethoras, ours is certainly greater at this time.
Not true if you're talking about primary ball handlers. We only have one for sure, Nowell. We might have two with Diarra. If we don't have Diarra, this team needs a ball handler.

Reaction Score
Not true if you're talking about primary ball handlers. We only have one for sure, Nowell. We might have two with Diarra. If we don't have Diarra, this team needs a ball handler.
We need one with Diarra. Two ballhandlers going into the season isn't enough. Hass is coming back.

Reaction Score
Yup on the 1 and done.

I have in mind a few posters who said pre-season that getting Castle would lead to a string of one and done hs kids to think UConn was the place for them to get to the NBA fast and they virtually salivated at the thought. To each their own.

As for whether or not a one year player coming out of the portal is generally preferable to a 1 year freshman, I really don’t know and think it depends on what the team needs and how the player fills the needs. Joey C had his moments, and Cam was totally indispensable. No doubt Castle was very important. Talent is great. Talent with experience even better.
I was one of them, and not so shockingly right after Castle went 1 and done we got another one and done guy in McNeeley

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was one of them, and not so shockingly right after Castle went 1 and done we got another one and done guy in McNeeley
Yeah, you are always right except McNeely didn’t jump at us right out of the box. We were not his original choice. Let’s see what the fall recruiting cycle brings. On top of that, a one and done doesn’t guarantee winning anything which is the point of our program . Carmelos don’t come around very often Castle really needed the mature players on this team to win anything. Beyond that. you are suggesting that McNeely is one and done. That remains to be seen. Clingan is walking out the door and he has been a true difference maker along with our senior starters A wise man who happens to have been a UConn president years ago, more or less advised that crowing before the story is told is a bad idea.

What I find interesting about Castle and AJax is that both were scoring option 5 out of 5 among the starters and the last one of the starters anyone wanted to be taking the last shot in a nail biter. That has to be relatively unusual especially if Castle goes as high as some project. His shot is definitely a work in progress but was definitely improving.

Reaction Score
Aidan did just follow Andrew Carr if we are reading tea leaves here.

Carr doesn’t even follow him yet.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah, you are always right except McNeely didn’t jump at us right out of the box. We were not his original choice. Let’s see what the fall recruiting cycle brings. On top of that, a one and done doesn’t guarantee winning anything which is the point of our program . Carmelos don’t come around very often Castle really needed the mature players on this team to win anything. Beyond that. you are suggesting that McNeely is one and done. That remains to be seen. Clingan is walking out the door and he has been a true difference maker along with our senior starters A wise man who happens to have been a UConn president years ago, more or less advised that crowing before the story is told is a bad idea.

What I find interesting about Castle and AJax is that both were scoring option 5 out of 5 among the starters and the last one of the starters anyone wanted to be taking the last shot in a nail biter. That has to be relatively unusual especially if Castle goes as high as some project. His shot is definitely a work in progress but was definitely improving.

Castle was probably the most dominant lock down perimeter defender in the country. Sure, it helps being part of a great defensive unit but he absolutely ate the competition for lunch particularly in March.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Castle was probably the most dominant lock down perimeter defender in the country. Sure, it helps being part of a great defensive unit but he absolutely ate the competition for lunch particularly in March.
Yup. Just saying being a high draft pick from a guard position while being so low on the college team scoring pecking order is not quite typical and says a lot about his other strengths. Ditto AJax being drafted at all says everything about his non scoring skills.

Reaction Score
So what are the chances Mahaney and Brea are out and we’re looking to round out our team after May 1 with the best available guard with plus ballhandling and shooting skills? And an experienced 3/4 if AK stays in the draft? I have confidence that it all works out but getting neither Mahaney nor Brea feels more likely than landing both.

Reaction Score
So what are the chances Mahaney and Brea are out and we’re looking to round out our team after May 1 with the best available guard with plus ballhandling and shooting skills? And an experienced 3/4 if AK stays in the draft? I have confidence that it all works out but getting neither Mahaney nor Brea feels more likely than landing both.
Patience! Nothing has happened yet and give them a few days to figure out things.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

23.57%

Reaction Score
We just don't know. Know one really knows what the chances are. The way I look at it, crystal ball predictions mean very little. Just a few days ago on 247, if I am not mistaken, Koby Brea was viewed to be 100% to UConn. Now he is visiting Kentucky.

Liam McNeeley decided to visit some other school(s) after his UConn visit and people here thought he would choose Kentucky or Duke and then he decided UConn was best.

But Fishy looks like he has done some analytical breakdowns and seems confident the chances are 23.57%. Go with that for now ;)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yup. Just saying being a high draft pick from a guard position while being so low on the college team scoring pecking order is not quite typical and says a lot about his other strengths. Ditto AJax being drafted at all says everything about his non scoring skills.

I wouldn't really categorize it that way. Castle showed he could be a more than capable scorer at all 3 levels, where as Jackson's shot and inability to really create for himself will always hold him back.

Reaction Score
We just don't know. Know one really knows what the chances are. The way I look at it, crystal ball predictions mean very little. Just a few days ago on 247, if I am not mistaken, Koby Brea was viewed to be 100% to UConn. Now he is visiting Kentucky.

Liam McNeeley decided to visit some other school(s) after his UConn visit and people here thought he would choose Kentucky or Duke and then he decided UConn was best.

But Fishy looks like he has done some analytical breakdowns and seems confident the chances are 23.57%. Go with that for now ;)
There must've been a bump in the road today with Brea. Whether it was reluctance from the UConn side or from Brea's who really knows, but the fact is that it was confirmed through the media that he decided on only visiting UConn and Duke. Once the Duke visit was off the table it made perfect sense for everyone to expect him to imminently commit to UConn. Clearly something went down today and he felt that now he needs to include another option in his recruitment. Doesn't mean we won't get him, but our chances have gone from him being a lock to a complete question mark at this point.

McNeeley never decided to visit other schools. Because he didn't commit right away, some recruiting guys thought that he would take at least another visit, but it was all speculation. My guess is that he was very confident in picking UConn, but he simply didn't want to rush into a decision on the visit and took a few days to discuss it with his family.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I wouldn't really categorize it that way. Castle showed he could be a more than capable scorer at all 3 levels, where as Jackson's shot and inability to really create for himself will always hold him back.
You really think that in a tight game at the end Castle was the guy you wanted shooting the ball? I didn’t say he was futile, but if you think he wasn’t option 5 of 5 I am willing to be convinced. But tomorrow. It’s.zzzz time.

Reaction Score
You really think that in a tight game at the end Castle was the guy you wanted shooting the ball? I didn’t say he was futile, but if you think he wasn’t option 5 of 5 I am willing to be convinced. But tomorrow. It’s.zzzz time.
In the Tournament I was very satisfied with him at the end of the clock with his ability to create his shot. He did great in the Final four doing that.

Reaction Score
What would you have Charlie Baker do? The courts won't allow him to do anything.
He's been in the job over a year and has yet to put forth a set of guidelines or policies to rein in the lunacy unfolding virtually year round.

He's talked up legislation but where is it?

It may be that his only chance is to work through the Presidents of the schools, many of whom may be tiring of the inmates running the asylum and are looking for direction. They're also facing demographic changes that will lead to lower enrollments and more financial failures among colleges and universities.

The Presidents must feel like they're on a treadmill seeing their schools become such a major part of professional sports and wondering who benefits. Is it just the coaches and allied staff, the AD's, architects and construction companies building all the fabulous facilities?

Do the schools actually benefit in any way? We hear it's great for marketing and applications go up when we get all the great publicity for winning a championship but how do you quantify if that offsets the losses we're experiencing operating like a power conference member without power conference money?

And, from what I've read elsewhere, some of the major P5 schools are already facing financial issues despite the lucrative broadcast payouts.

As an aside, when UConn played Yale in the 60's we had Rick Forzano as Head Coach, Sam Rutigliano as one assistant along with three others. That was it. There was probably a secretary but now we have 38 or 39 people just on the football staff. Go to a women's basketball practice and you'll see two full time video coordinators, and on and on.

I don't know if there's enough money to keep paying all the staff, build new and maintain existing structures, and pay all the other expenses and now the NIL costs (that I think have already been approved to be paid by the schools).

If Dartmouth's players successfully join a union that opens the issue salaries and benefits and all the other employment expenses plus the potential for strikes. How wil the big money schools will be able to stay in business if there's a strike and there's no money coming in to pay all those costs. Can DB and the others insure for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom