Aidan Mahaney | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There definitely would be fewer minutes to go around, but Mahaney is an impact player and two years of him would be a huge boon to the program. They have to try if he’s interested. He had a sophomore slump this year (still all conference, but less efficient) and I doubt he’d come in without accepting that everyone will have to earn their minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lots to like about Mahaney.

He’s a super creative guard in Randy Bennett’s super slow halfcourt sets. For 6’3 180, he’s not afraid to absorb contact and he’s strong at preventing turnovers despite his high usage. His 41 2P% is not strong, but a lot of his attempts inside the arc have a high level of difficulty. Methinks playing in Hurley’s system will help clean up his shot selection. Despite this, FT and 3P efficiency checks out and I do like how he plays in a super disciplined defensive system and plays for one of the most under-heralded head coaches in college.
The first time I saw Mahaney play was last year in the 2023 regular season at home against rival Gonzaga. He was already considered a good player, but that game is where he really made his name as a freshman phenom. Mahaney single handedly was picking apart Gonzaga and helped St. Mary's comeback and win in OT. When I was watching that game and when I watch other great performances out of conference I do reflexively think in my head "how would UConn do against this team or player?". Little did I know UConn would face him and St. Mary's in the 2nd round.

That's a good call by about his selection to take difficult shots in St. Mary's offense. They don't really have shot creators besides him and maybe Logan Johnson from last year and Mitchell Saxon in the post. And St. Mary's uses a lot of clock on each possession so I am sure that left Mahaney with some tough shots with the shot clock winding down.

Reaction Score
I think us showing interest in Mahoney and bringing in Nowell, kind of shows that Hass isn't going to be handed the job. This isn't the same situation as Sanogo to Clingan. I think they love Hass in that sixth man role off the bench. Pat Bev type of role.
Mahaney isn’t a PG but he is the third ball handler we need. he’d be competing with Ball for minutes primarily. Ross would be out of the rotation again.

Reaction Score
I would love to know how the staff prioritizes transfers. There are so many of them and Hurley seems to be pretty picky about what he wants. But since it's all happening so quickly and with so many recruits they might not know a lot about, it must be a tough job to sift through all the transfers.
It's definitely a case study in personnel management and operations management.

Reaction Score
Muhaney really doesn’t have great numbers, but maybe Hurley sees the potential. 38% from the floor isn’t great, and he doesn’t really fill the box score elsewhere at 2 assists and 2 rebounds a game. He would have to be happy with a bench spot.

Hassan shot it better, and averaged as many assists and rebounds in less time.

Nice get to fill the roster and rotation but far from a slam dunk starter.

Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
McNeeley 10 / Ball 20 / Mahaney 10
Stewart 15 / McNeeley 15 / Mahaney 10
Karaban 30 / Stewart 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

30: Karaban
25: Diarra / McNeeley / Stewart
20: Ball / Mahaney / Reed / Johnson
15: Nowell

Reaction Score
I think us showing interest in Mahoney and bringing in Nowell, kind of shows that Hass isn't going to be handed the job. This isn't the same situation as Sanogo to Clingan. I think they love Hass in that sixth man role off the bench. Pat Bev type of role.
Pat Bev starts fyi

Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
Karaban 30 / Stewart 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

Stewart has to get more than 10 minutes a game, and Jayden Ross figures in there somewhere.

Reaction Score
‘Twas a joke
I'm with you - made the same point earlier today.

Dumbfounded they let him leave without signing on. Perfect fit to their image. Catholic school so less culture shock (although still Nebraska).

If I were him I would avoid Virginia just to avoid the annoying future conversations where he references Coach Bennett and then has to specify which one.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if he came here if McNeeley commits. Just doesn't seem like enough minutes unless someone else left.

Reaction Score
If Diara isn't coming back it is because The staff recruited over his preferred role and couldn't convince him to take the lesser role. And I trust the staff - so like with Roumoglou, I would be sorry to see him leave, but wish him well.
Normally would agree but not here. No way they’re making moves that could push Hass out. He and Karaban seemed like the leaders of this team and he’s primed to play a major role next year.

I believe he’s choosing between moving on to a pro career overseas or coming back for another year. And really hope he chooses the latter.

Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
Karaban 30 / Stewart 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

No Ross again?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Love this - I said awhile back I wanted him and McNeeley with a big, I’d be REALLY happy with that group, so would you.

Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
Karaban 30 / Stewart 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

Mahaney would likely start at the 2 if he comes. I’d expect him to be an impact player. Ball and Stewart would be very valuable bench pieces.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
If Diara isn't coming back it is because The staff recruited over his preferred role and couldn't convince him to take the lesser role. And I trust the staff - so like with Roumoglou, I would be sorry to see him leave, but wish him well.
You know this how?

Reaction Score
Mahaney would likely start at the 2 if he comes. I’d expect him to be an impact player. Ball and Stewart would be very valuable bench pieces.
You got Mahaney and McNeeley starting and Stew coming off the bench?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Is he even coming back? Concerning that it’s not official yet.
In the Ahmad Nowell article today Borges wrote:

A national top-35 recruit, Nowell would seem to be in line for immediate playing time (possibly even starting) for the Huskies. With Castle and Tristen Newton now chasing their NBA dreams, there is a void in the UConn backcourt. Steady senior Hassan Diarra returns, and though he won the Big East's Sixth Man Award last season, he may be ready to take over the starting point guard reins.

Does Borges know something or is he just going off the "expected to stay" he tweeted the other day?

Reaction Score
Normally would agree but not here. No way they’re making moves that could push Hass out. He and Karaban seemed like the leaders of this team and he’s primed to play a major role next year.

I believe he’s choosing between moving on to a pro career overseas or coming back for another year. And really hope he chooses the latter.
I could see where that made sense against his end-of-this-week timeframe. Still, if that was his choice, I would be quite sorry to see him go but wish him well with his choice and confident the staff could adjust (although it would be getting thin on players long exposed to the culture).

Reaction Score
You know this how?
An educated guess based off Hurley saying in an interview that before Diarra made the decision to come back he had to accept the role the staff had planned for him next season.

But as suggested above, it could also be that he is actively seeking alternatives as well.

Reaction Score
An educated guess based off Hurley saying in an interview that before Diarra made the decision to come back he had to accept the role the staff had planned for him next season.

But as suggested above, it could also be that he is actively seeking alternatives as well.
Khalid El Amin is the only freshmen starting PG we’ve had in 25 years. odds aren’t Nowell ain’t that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom