AD: If athletes are considered employees, Notre Dame will seek new model | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AD: If athletes are considered employees, Notre Dame will seek new model

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Stipends we have no concern about , it's the union/employee issue we won't deal with.

Who is "we"? You jumping on some bandwagon does not make it yours.

Reaction Score
Delaney said much the same....if you want to be paid, go pro out of high school. He said that the NFL could start "D" leagues if they need to develop athletes.

Delany's comments came at the end of an otherwise uneventful day of BCS meetings at the new Big Ten conference office. The main message: Forget about paying athletes, either they must decide to attend college and play under the current NCAA rules or turn pro out of high school.

Reaction Score
Before these schools dropped into another tier, I think the fans would start voting with their feet.

Do any of you honestly have interest in watching pro college sports?

I think fans of many schools would lose interest.

Why wouldn't you watch a NBDL game instead? Because of the college affiliation?

I can see how sports would remain still very popular down south, but I have my doubts about some other parts of the country.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the elite universities dropped out of the P5 given the state of affairs today. The Ivy League schools seem to be the ideal model for elite institutions, in my opinion. Schools in the Colonial Conference and Patriot League chose to be where they are. Other elite schools such as NYU and BU chose to drop football altogether. Programs like Northwestern and Vandy seem to belong elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Northwest seems fine where they are. Vandy maybe. What about Duke? (Are they not all 'similar'?)
Duke also. I guess my point is that the elite private universities become less like Harvard and more like Alabama the longer they chase the football money, which I assume is the wrong direction for those universities.

Reaction Score
Duke also. I guess my point is that the elite private universities become less like Harvard and more like Alabama the longer they chase the football money, which I assume is the wrong direction for those universities.

The amount of money they are pulling in justifies going along with the ruse for awhile.

The only question is, will people keep watching?

Reaction Score
The amount of money they are pulling in justifies going along with the ruse for awhile.

Those institutions - elite, private, wealthy - should be above any type of ruse, don't you think? Their bars are pretty high.

Reaction Score
Those institutions - elite, private, wealthy - should be above any type of ruse, don't you think? Their bars are pretty high.

They already operate many resuses.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What money? How much do you think they net after expenses? The cost of running stadiums, hiring expensive coaches, travel, scholarships that could go to more worthy students. I don't think there are more than a few schools that truly make any significant amount of money. Sports exist as a marketing arm for the school first and foremost. Schools that are "first choice" schools like Duke or Stanford? They don't need it any more than Harvard or Yale does.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If indeed “Sports exist as a marketing arm for the school first and foremost.” that could still produce an overall net gain - even if sports are not necessarily a profit center. Schools seem to benefit from their respective sports programs in one fashion or another. If not I imagine the current environment would be quite different.

Yes, and many schools do benefit in that regard. Stanford does not. It actually rejects kids who are much better candidates than most of the athletes they accept. Same for many elite academic schools who play sports.

Reaction Score
Rich.... being "liked" by someone even less popular than myself here. The always civil one himself!!

Always civil, Nicky. I do understand our differences.

While you watch hockey, I reflect on how much more fun it would be to do my tax return...in roman numerals.

Hey..I'm but I'm a southern football guy and what do I know about hockey, Jersey or Rutgers? I know that car tags in Newark read "The Garden State" and that Rutgers says that they play competitive football.

Reaction Score
If indeed “Sports exist as a marketing arm for the school first and foremost.” that could still produce an overall net gain - even if sports are not necessarily a profit center. Schools seem to benefit from their respective sports programs in one fashion or another. If not I imagine the current environment would be quite different.

Are you assuming that the people that run universities are capable of making such decisions? A sports budget is but a fraction of the overall university budget. But in terms of the interest of politicians, alumni, boosters, etc., it takes up much more. Most presidents are not going to mess with sports, even if they don't see the benefit or the point. Not worth all the enemies. Remember: presidents like CEOs are short-termers. They make a ton of money. Their job is to hold onto their job as long as they possibly can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom