ACC options | Page 15 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Reaction Score
From a conference or scheduling perspective I totally agree. As long as title IX requirements are adhered to by athletic departments football can go rogue and do what they want to independently so student athletes in other (olympic) sports aren’t adversely affected by their alignments.
It is totally ridiculous every other sport in a college is being dictated and controlled by football.

By letting every school go indy, other sports can go regional and be in a conference that makes way more sense than now.

Football can go national or schedule as they please. Football media rights should be completely separate from other sports.

This makes way too much sense, which is why media companies will never let it happen. It is much easier to control the entire block via conferences vs. trying to control each school individually.

Reaction Score
Are their exit fees when the agreement ends?
I could be wrong but I don’t think the PAC is sitting on hundreds of millions in all the exit fees. These teams are leaving after latest agreement runs out.

Reading a few articles on the topic, the only item of value was the BB tourney credits.
Negotiated exit fees to get out of the GOR 1 or 2 years quicker. Texas and Oklahoma paid $50m each for 1 yr.

BB tourney credits are the same as CFP money; if you leave, you leave behind that year's CFP money

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Replace UVA,VPI, UNC, NC State, FSU, Miami, Clemson with

UConn
Memphis
SMU
USF
Temple
—————
Duke
BC
Cuse
GTech
Wake
Louisville
Pitt

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Replace UVA,VPI, UNC, NC State, FSU, Miami, Clemson with

UConn
Memphis
SMU
USF
Temple
—————
Duke
BC
Cuse
GTech
Wake
Louisville
Pitt
That's pretty decent. I didn't really mind playing Memphis or Temple - just don't want to be lapped by either into a P5.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t look like anyone is leaving the ACC until 2036. FSU by not giving notice today look like a bunch of buffoons.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t look like anyone is leaving the ACC until 2036. FSU by not giving notice today look like a bunch of buffoons.
I don't think so. Who said FSU had to leave for next year? Every year FSU waits to leave saves them big money, so they could announce they are leaving on August 30th, but not until the 2027 season.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. Who said FSU had to leave for next year? Every year FSU waits to leave saves them big money, so they could announce they are leaving on August 30th, but not until the 2027 season.
They are stuck in the ACC through 2036. ESPN will pony up the money to keep the ACC together long after 2036. They will probably move teams over from the B12 to the ACC and the SEC where they have their money invested. FOX will poach a couple of B12 teams for the B1G.

Reaction Score
They are stuck in the ACC through 2036. ESPN will pony up the money to keep the ACC together long after 2036. They will probably move teams over from the B12 to the ACC and the SEC where they have their money invested. FOX will poach a couple of B12 teams for the B1G.
LOL at B12 schools in the B1G, that aint happening.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How are they worth $100m? If UConn isn't (men's and women's bball) then Kansas isn't.
How is Northwestern? Iowa? Minnesota? Look, it’s a silly argument. Nobody is worth $100m on their own. People keep talking about bringing the value. It’s not reality. Michigan, without Ohio State is worth much less. Same for Ohio State without Michigan. It is all about creating complementary matchups that bring eyeballs. That‘s why they created dozens of stupid names for the matchups. Old oaken bucket or whatever. Auburn vs Alabama is the Iron Bowl. Minnesota vs Wisconsin is Paul Bunyan’s Axe.

I doubt KU gets the call. They are AAU but Mizzou pined for the B1G and landed in the SEC. I think Kansas, where the whole university and town were founded by abolitionists, and team name relates to Bloody Kansas battles over it, would join the SEC. That would be hard to do. But I could see the SEC offering them more than the B1G. The complementary matchups are there. Mizzou, Arkansas, OU, Kentucky.

Reaction Score
How is Northwestern? Iowa? Minnesota? Look, it’s a silly argument. Nobody is worth $100m on their own. People keep talking about bringing the value. It’s not reality. Michigan, without Ohio State is worth much less. Same for Ohio State without Michigan. It is all about creating complementary matchups that bring eyeballs. That‘s why they created dozens of stupid names for the matchups. Old oaken bucket or whatever. Auburn vs Alabama is the Iron Bowl. Minnesota vs Wisconsin is Paul Bunyan’s Axe.

I doubt KU gets the call. They are AAU but Mizzou pined for the B1G and landed in the SEC. I think Kansas, where the whole university and town were founded by abolitionists, and team name relates to Bloody Kansas battles over it, would join the SEC. That would be hard to do. But I could see the SEC offering them more than the B1G. The complementary matchups are there. Mizzou, Arkansas, OU, Kentucky.
It's not silly. Those teams were already in the conference.

Reaction Score
It’s silly when people ask if a single school is worth 100m. The conference is worth 2b because the B1G controls state flagship schools over half the country. To control and demand more money they will target flagship schools like Kansas UVA and NC

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's silly because that isn't how it works. Every school used to sell their own rights. Nobody made squat. It wasn't until they started relinquishing the rights to the conference and negotiating collectively that the TV deals started growing. That, in turn, drove expansion and contracting among the conferences. They are all worth more together than they would be individually.

So the question is never "Is X school worth $Y", because the answer to that is always no. The question is "does adding this particular school to the existing ecosystem we have raise the aggregate value of that ecosystem". In the case of USC and UCLA for example, UCLA is mostly meh at football and is above average at basketball. Big market, sure and lots of alumni. But the value for the B1G comes from those old Big Ten/Pac 10 ties and the Rose bowl. Big Ten fans value those matchup highly. Much more than SEC fans would. That drives ratings, as an Indiana fan tunes in to watch Ohio State vs USC.

Could Kansas raise the value of the B1G enough? No, I don't think so. Could it in the SEC? Maybe yes. Now do UNC and UVA, when it comes to the B1G I think the answer is still no. SEC? Maybe yes. Florida State? They think the answer is yes, but I'm betting that for the B1G it is no (SEC is yes). It is close, but B1G fans don't really care about FSU, they might care more about Miami. The most rational SEC expansion, if it came, would probably be FSU, Clemson, UNC and Kansas.

The ACC has blinders on with UConn, because the answer to the ecosystem question is yes for UConn in the ACC. We are a team that moves the needle with fans of every school except FSU.

Reaction Score
It’s silly when people ask if a single school is worth 100m. The conference is worth 2b because the B1G controls state flagship schools over half the country. To control and demand more money they will target flagship schools like Kansas UVA and NC
???
Which one of those 3 schools is NOT like the others?

The conference is worth 2b BECAUSE Michigan, Ohio St, Penn State, Wisconsin and now USC and UCLA are in it. And Rutgers years ago added a ton of value to it as well.

There are 2 D1 P4 universities in Kansas. This is a state of 2.9m people.

The numbers don't make any sense. They aren't UNC or UVa.

Reaction Score
It's silly because that isn't how it works. Every school used to sell their own rights. Nobody made squat. It wasn't until they started relinquishing the rights to the conference and negotiating collectively that the TV deals started growing. That, in turn, drove expansion and contracting among the conferences. They are all worth more together than they would be individually.

So the question is never "Is X school worth $Y", because the answer to that is always no. The question is "does adding this particular school to the existing ecosystem we have raise the aggregate value of that ecosystem". In the case of USC and UCLA for example, UCLA is mostly meh at football and is above average at basketball. Big market, sure and lots of alumni. But the value for the B1G comes from those old Big Ten/Pac 10 ties and the Rose bowl. Big Ten fans value those matchup highly. Much more than SEC fans would. That drives ratings, as an Indiana fan tunes in to watch Ohio State vs USC.

Could Kansas raise the value of the B1G enough? No, I don't think so. Could it in the SEC? Maybe yes. Now do UNC and UVA, when it comes to the B1G I think the answer is still no. SEC? Maybe yes. Florida State? They think the answer is yes, but I'm betting that for the B1G it is no (SEC is yes). It is close, but B1G fans don't really care about FSU, they might care more about Miami. The most rational SEC expansion, if it came, would probably be FSU, Clemson, UNC and Kansas.

The ACC has blinders on with UConn, because the answer to the ecosystem question is yes for UConn in the ACC. We are a team that moves the needle with fans of every school except FSU.
You're missing my point.

Northwestern or Iowa would not be invited to the B1G today if they weren't already in the conference.

Reaction Score
An expansion article from the UNC. We have at least one school that wants UConn. I am surprised they are not open to WVU too.

Here's what I'm guessing will happen after the implosion of the ACC. UNC & UVA go to the B1G for a 20 team conference. FSU, Clemson, VT, and NC State go to the SEC for a 20 team conference. Pitt, Louisville, Miami, and Duke go to the B12 to for a 20 team conference.

If that happens, then here is who is left behind in the ACC: BC, Syracuse, Wake, GT, and ND without football. Do we join that conference or stay in the Big East/Indy football?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Nice post! The first two paragraphs explain the conference broadcast rights ecosystem as well as I have seen.

Reaction Score
???
Which one of those 3 schools is NOT like the others?

The conference is worth 2b BECAUSE Michigan, Ohio St, Penn State, Wisconsin and now USC and UCLA are in it. And Rutgers years ago added a ton of value to it as well.

There are 2 D1 P4 universities in Kansas. This is a state of 2.9m people.

The numbers don't make any sense. They aren't UNC or UVa.
I think size of the conference will take over and will result in ACC’s demise. ACC doesn’t have enough quality like SEC does in football to demand big dollars. In Basketball, ACC still thinks they’re #1 conference and they probably 4 or 5.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
…Could Kansas raise the value of the B1G enough? No, I don't think so. Could it in the SEC? Maybe yes. Now do UNC and UVA, when it comes to the B1G I think the answer is still no. SEC? Maybe yes. Florida State? They think the answer is yes, but I'm betting that for the B1G it is no (SEC is yes). It is close, but B1G fans don't really care about FSU, they might care more about Miami. The most rational SEC expansion, if it came, would probably be FSU, Clemson, UNC and Kansas.

My own personal so opinion is that I think FSU in the Big10 would be a blast, more so than Miami. Michigan has played FSU a couple times in the past and they have been fun. Miami would be ok, but not the level of FSU. In fact, most Michigan and MSU fans I know would put FSU as the 2nd most non SEC (or future SEC) desirable school out there. Many would even put them over ND.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom