ACC options | Page 14 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Reaction Score
North Carolina won't be in charge of anything when the GOR runs out.
This will be remembered by everyone else.
The ACC controlled by North Carolina is officially dead.
Every school will leave when the GOR is up.
Every? 8 of them will have no place to go, and at the very least they’ll stick around to collect NCAA credits and CFP money. They’ll also collect negotiated exit fees as the barn doors start opening around 2033 or 2034 when The lesser schools will be incentivized to start cutting deals.

Reaction Score
You know better than most, the Big 12 added both because Fox wanted to destroy the Pac 12. They succeeded. Stanford is arguably the best college in America. That means nothing to tv execs. And Cal means even less.

And that is literally whats killing UConn in all of this. By being in the Big East, Fox is getting UConn for pennies on the dollar. Until they become an actual threat to leave, things will remain static. In the end, school presidents are pawns. They will do whatever the execs tell them to do.
This was the argument we heard when we were in the AAC with espn. Where to next? Its a silly argument if you ask me. Since the dismantling of the Big East football conference we focused our limited resources elsewhere and let football flounder that is the primary reason of why we are where we are. They tried to half step it with football. While Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF went with big time FB hires we went cheap and screwed ourselves over.

Reaction Score
The schools that left were never going to take $30m when they could get $70m. And I’m talking about Oregon and Washington. This was carefully orchestrated by them.
This what i have been saying. Forces from within wanted the PAC to fall apart for their own benefit. Those 2 were never going to go to the Big12 but wanted the Big12 to decimate the PAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The schools that left were never going to take $30m when they could get $70m. And I’m talking about Oregon and Washington. This was carefully orchestrated by them.
Maybe, but they are only two votes. For what it's worth, they aren't getting $70 million. They agreed to a half share. That was the point of contention. Supposedly the Big Ten only offered them after Colorado had joined and once Arizona indicated it was interested.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This what i have been saying. Forces from within wanted the PAC to fall apart for their own benefit. Those 2 were never going to go to the Big12 but wanted the Big12 to decimate the PAC.
Yeah, but in the end, they were the ones who "decimated" the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but in the end, they were the ones who "decimated" the Pac 12.
It was their desired outcome, with the B1G being on record as not wanting to be the ones to destroy the PAC with its 100 year history. It was lunacy to turn down 30 million a year per school after losing USC and UCLA. Contrast that with hiw the Big12 played it after losing Texas and OU. I have no doubt OU and UW led the charge in saying no to the 30 million dollar offer. Sad that they had no issue screwing over the sister schools in their own state.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
According to Clemson insider, both Clemson and FSU are gone the minute they both get an invite to leave GOR or not.

So after all this neither currently have, or had, an offer to go anywhere else? Not quite the flex they think that statement is.

Reaction Score
So after all this neither currently have, or had, an offer to go anywhere else? Not quite the flex they think that statement is.
Don't underestimate FOX. They are licking their chops to grab some key media properties from ESPN.

I would not be surprised to see FOX get B1G to take both Clemson and FSU to go to 20.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate FOX. They are licking their chops to grab some key media properties from ESPN.

I would not be surprised to see FOX get B1G to take both Clemson and FSU to go to 20.
Big should grab unc and Virginia. Fsu and Clemson? No. Those are sec teams.

What we need is just a college commissioner to bring some regional sense to this.

Reaction Score
Interesting to me is why Apple didn’t up the ante when they realized there were mutinies brewing, and pirates lurking in the lagoon. . Had they sweetened the guaranteed portion of the bid they may have held the conference together. Sometimes the aggrieved party has to win some level of concession to feel that they’ve “won”. An additional $2M per school may have sealed the deal. Apple could then have become an active player going forward in the mix. Heads can be hard on both sides of a deal. Apple was simply dabbling in the genre of college sports, unsure of just how serious it wants to be. What it was saying to the PAC is “sign this deal and you’ll get more when (if) the subscriptions grow—but we’re not willing to take that risk.” If you really want the house you’ll raise your offer or waive the inspection. If you don’t and lose it, you were shopping not buying.
Money is not an issue for Apple. They have $28B in cash and a $3T market cap. Like any good investor, they evaluated the value of the PAC and determined that the assets weren’t worth a penny more than their offer. No reason to up the ante. I’m still confident that they’ll find a way to get involved in college athletics. In fact, I know a school with an undervalued athletic department who could really use Apple’s platform and market savvy to gain exposure for their football program. It would only cost Apple a fraction of what they offered for the defunct PAC.

Reaction Score
Money is not an issue for Apple. They have $28B in cash and a $3T market cap. Like any good investor, they evaluated the value of the PAC and determined that the assets weren’t worth a penny more than their offer. No reason to up the ante. I’m still confident that they’ll find a way to get involved in college athletics. In fact, I know a school with an undervalued athletic department who could really use Apple’s platform and market savvy to gain exposure for their football program. It would only cost Apple a fraction of what they offered for the defunct PAC.
UConn should definitely looking into partnering with Apple for football. Big East should look into this as well along with NBC. Both UConn and the Big East need to partner with other media partners other than ESPN and Fox.

Reaction Score
I think that in the next two years, Apple will most likely buy either paramount or espn/Disney. They will enter that way and strike more when the time is right for them.

Reaction Score
UConn should definitely looking into partnering with Apple for football. Big East should look into this as well along with NBC. Both UConn and the Big East need to partner with other media partners other than ESPN and Fox.
If the Big East partners w Apple, my guess is that the Big 12 would offer UConn almost immediately.

Reaction Score
Every? 8 of them will have no place to go, and at the very least they’ll stick around to collect NCAA credits and CFP money. They’ll also collect negotiated exit fees as the barn doors start opening around 2033 or 2034 when The lesser schools will be incentivized to start cutting deals.
Are their exit fees when the agreement ends?
I could be wrong but I don’t think the PAC is sitting on hundreds of millions in all the exit fees. These teams are leaving after latest agreement runs out.

Reading a few articles on the topic, the only item of value was the BB tourney credits.

Reaction Score
This is true. But unless the money and visibility is there, UConn can’t force that issue.

And it’s probably a double edged sword. What’s the value of a big East without UConn bs value with UConn. Is a media partner going to sign a deal knowing UConn might leave, taking a large piece of the leagues value

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is true. But unless the money and visibility is there, UConn can’t force that issue.

And it’s probably a double edged sword. What’s the value of a big East without UConn bs value with UConn. Is a media partner going to sign a deal knowing UConn might leave, taking a large piece of the leagues value

Because basketball is so different from football, and because all the Big East markets except Providence are big and attractive, I don’t think a UConn departure would have as big an impact on the Big East as say Texas/Oklahoma or USC/UCLA had on those conferences.

Reaction Score
Apple actually has $167 billion of cash and marketable securities. Net cash (cash minus debt) is $61 billion. Disney's market cap is $163 billion. If the tech giants want to go aggressively after sports, companies like ESPN are in trouble.

Personally, I think UConn football should seriously consider Amazon Prime. They have a huge streaming base (remember, you get Prime Video free with Prime) and they already have NFL Thursday Night Football.

Reaction Score
Apple actually has $167 billion of cash and marketable securities. Net cash (cash minus debt) is $61 billion. Disney's market cap is $163 billion. If the tech giants want to go aggressively after sports, companies like ESPN are in trouble.

Personally, I think UConn football should seriously consider Amazon Prime. They have a huge streaming base (remember, you get Prime Video free with Prime) and they already have NFL Thursday Night Football.
Ideally, UConn should get both Amazon Prime and Apple. Perhaps split 3 games on Prime and 3 on Apple to maximize revenue. If not, go with Amazon since there is a huge prime membership base. People subscribe to prime for other benefits, and streaming is just one of the benefits.

Not sure how much rights UConn can retain from the Big East, we should put them all on multiple media partners to maximize revenue. UConn should work with the Big East to retain as many rights as possible in the next media deal.

UConn has to get away from Fox and ESPN in some way. Fox simply doesn't appreciate UConn's value because it got UConn on the cheap right now with the Big East media deal.

Reaction Score

They can certainly build that into contract. Basically, they can put on a clause that contract is up for renegotiation if UConn leave. AAC had a clause like this in their media contract.

Reaction Score
If the Big East partners w Apple, my guess is that the Big 12 would offer UConn almost immediately.
This is for sure. All the latest realignment moves were all manipulated by the media companies. It is sickening but it is what it is.

If ESPN steps up and offer ACC more money tomorrow to add Stanford and Cal, it will be done almost immediately.

Reaction Score

My hope is tech companies step in and really shake up colleges sports. They have the platforms and the money to do so.

Conferences these days acting like the mafia at the direction of their media partners, deciding who is in and who is out. Some of it is just timing while other times it is just pure political. UConn has been screwed multiple times due to both.

I really hope we get to the day where every team will be independent for football and/or basketball while playing their Olympic sports regionally. In this case, every team will be paid based on the product they put on the field especially for football. Streaming companies can make it happen. UConn can use it's football as a guinea pig with its next football media deal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Jim Williams

@JWMediaDC

Spoke to a member of the ACC front office about Stanford & Cal hold up? ""We have Internet in adding any school's that adds value. Both Stanford & Cal are worthy of consideration. But timing is not right at this point we have some other issues to resolve first."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think that in the next two years, Apple will most likely buy either paramount or espn/Disney. They will enter that way and strike more when the time is right for them.
Disney isn‘t the answer. They don’t need all that branded material, theme parks etc. Apple just needs a little more production capacity and some more inventory. They are taking this slowly because the weak are still being shaken out by the shift. Small pouches like AMC Networks would make sense.

Said it earlier, but their goal, and Amazon’s is to be a platform where you consume all the content, no matter who creates it. The exclusive content is just to get subscribers up. Ted Lasso was huge for that. Messi May prove to be as well.

Reaction Score
I really hope we get to the day where every team will be independent for football and/or basketball while playing their Olympic sports regionally. In this case, every team will be paid based on the product they put on the field especially for football. Streaming companies can make it happen. UConn can use it's football as a guinea pig with its next football media deal.

From a conference or scheduling perspective I totally agree. As long as title IX requirements are adhered to by athletic departments football can go rogue and do what they want to independently so student athletes in other (olympic) sports aren’t adversely affected by their alignments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom