ACC and AAC All Conference Teams [merged threads] | The Boneyard

ACC and AAC All Conference Teams [merged threads]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
http://www.theacc.com/news/all-acc-...am-and-all-freshman-team-announced-03-01-2016

Azurá Stevens, So., F/G, Duke
Shakayla Thomas, So., F, Florida State
Aaliyah Whiteside, Sr., G/F, Georgia Tech
Myisha Hines-Allen, So., F, Louisville
Mariya Moore, So., F, Louisville
Adrienne Motley, Jr., G, Miami
Lindsay Allen, Jr., G, Notre Dame
Madison Cable, GS, G, Notre Dame
Brianna Turner, So., F, Notre Dame
Alexis Peterson, Jr., G, Syracuse

Angela Salvadores Duke did not make the All Freshmen Team. After her performance as MVP in the u18 World Championships, thought she would come in and be a great player for Duke

Reaction Score
I wonder why the first team has 10 names on it? You would think that would be the first and second team.

Reaction Score
Angela Salvadores Duke did not make the All Freshmen Team. After her performance as MVP in the u18 World Championships, thought she would come in and be a great player for Duke

IMO it's impossible to be a great player for JPM, who, IMO, has wasted and/or driven away more talent then any other coach in D1.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
http://www.theacc.com/news/all-acc-...am-and-all-freshman-team-announced-03-01-2016

I think she was dinged up most of the year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
After they didn't vote her 1st or 2nd team last year, the panel finally gets it right with respect to Lindsay Allen. Maybe they saw how poorly ND played without her in the games where she struggled with foul trouble.

I was worried Cable would get left out. She was the heart and soul of this ND team. Thrilled to see her get the recognition. Not that she cares (or if she does, she'll never admit to it).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Here's the ACC All-Frosh Team that was at the end of the link....

All-Freshman Team
Mariella Fasoula, Fr., C, Boston College
Asia Durr, Fr., G, Louisville
Stephanie Watts, Fr., G, North Carolina
Destinee Walker, Fr., G, North Carolina
Marina Mabrey, Fr., G, Notre Dame
Arike Ogunbowale, Fr., G, Notre Dame
Brenna Wise, Fr., G/F, Pitt
Ariel Stephenson, Fr., G, Wake Forest

And the second team..where they did just announce 5 players, which is odd because I thought the Leticia Romero of FSU would get some sort of recognition.

Second Team
Adut Bulgak, Sr., C, Florida State
Rebecca Greenwell, R-So., G, Duke
Stephanie Watts, Fr., G, North Carolina
Miah Spencer, Jr., G, NC State
Dominique Wilson, R-Jr., G, NC State

Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year, Sixty Man of the Year, Coach of the Year are announced in a day or two.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
After they didn't vote her 1st or 2nd team last year, the panel finally gets it right with respect to Lindsay Allen. Maybe they saw how poorly ND played without her in the games where she struggled with foul trouble.

I was worried Cable would get left out. She was the heart and soul of this ND team. Thrilled to see her get the recognition. Not that she cares (or if she does, she'll never admit to it).

In regards to Lindsay, she also led ACC play in assists and assist to turnover ratio, which certainly adds some (perhaps needed) statistical backup.
But -- on the other hand -- what makes it so worthwhile for Maddie making this team is that the panel recognizes that the whole is sometimes greater than the sum of the (statistical) parts.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
In regards to Lindsay, she also led ACC play in assists and assist to turnover ratio, which certainly adds some (perhaps needed) statistical backup.
But -- on the other hand -- what makes it so worthwhile for Maddie making this team is that the panel recognizes that the whole is sometimes greater than the sum of the (statistical) parts.

Just checked the media guide. She also lead the conference in assists per game and assist-turnover ratio last year. That's what was so weird about last year. I guess she wasn't enough of a scorer to please the panel?

Reaction Score
Just 2 seniors on the first team (GT and ND), and 1 on the 2nd team (FSU).

After a down season, ACC could return to being the strongest conference next year.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Just checked the media guide. She also lead the conference in assists per game and assist-turnover ratio last year. That's what was so weird about last year. I guess she wasn't enough of a scorer to please the panel?

Well, adding to the mystery: she averaged 9.6 ppg in ACC play in 2014-15 and went down a bit to 8.0 ppg in regular season ACC play this year.
Maybe they just acknowledged the court leadership (and lack thereof when she wasn't in, as you mentioned). Either way, well deserved for Lindsay.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
IMO it's impossible to be a great player for JPM, who, IMO, has wasted and/or driven away more talent then any other coach in D1.
And Salvadores is a proud Spaniard who mebbe did not take kindly to JPM's "coaching style".

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year, Sixty Man of the Year, Coach of the Year are announced in a day or two.

My predictions:
  • POY: Myisha Hines-Allen of Louisville, 2nd in ACC in both scoring (18.0 ppg) and rebounding (8.1 per game) in conference play.
  • FOY: Stephanie Watts of UNC, 5th in ACC in scoring (16.2 ppg) and 1st in rebounding (8.3 per game) in conference play.
  • SMOY: Is there a limit on minutes per game to be considered a "sixth man"?
    If not: Shakayla Thomas of Florida State, 3rd in ACC in scoring (17.5 ppg) in conference play.
    If so: Asia Durr of Louisville, 12.4 ppg, 48% FG percentage, 88% FT percentage in conference play.
  • COY: Muffet McGraw.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
If anyone not named Jeff Walz gets COY I am going to be exceptionally disappointed. To get this young team playing the way he has,with only 1 conference loss ( and a game that they should have won at that) is more than deserving. Looking around the country at at other very young teams and seeing their struggle just furthers my point.

I'm thinking Hines-Allen for POY and Ogunbowale for FOY. I like Durr as SMOY but am not sure of the exact criteria for that award.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If anyone not named Jeff Walz gets COY I am going to be exceptionally disappointed. To get this young team playing the way he has,with only 1 conference loss ( and a game that they should have won at that) is more than deserving. Looking around the country at at other very young teams and seeing their struggle just furthers my point.

I'm thinking Hines-Allen for POY and Ogunbowale for FOY. I like Durr as SMOY but am not sure of the exact criteria for that award.

Both Walz and Quentin Hillsman of Syracuse are also very deserving for COY. I was basically throwing a bone to Notre Dame for being the best team, and since I already nominated two Louisville players for the other awards. (The Notre Dame fans will howl, I am sure, about Turner or Cable not being named POY.)

Stephanie Watts was the only freshman to make first or second team all-ACC. That's a pretty strong hint that she'll be FOY.

Some people say a "sixth man" is any player who doesn't start. A stricter criterion is that a "sixth man" is a nonstarter who is not among the team's top 5 in minutes per game. If we're simply talking about any nonstarter, Thomas (a first-team all-ACC selection) is the clear choice. But neither she nor Ogunbowale would meet the stricter criterion based on minutes per game.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Both Walz and Quentin Hillsman of Syracuse are also very deserving for COY. I was basically throwing a bone to Notre Dame for being the best team, and since I already nominated two Louisville players for the other awards. (The Notre Dame fans will howl, I am sure, about Turner or Cable not being named POY.)

Stephanie Watts was the only freshman to make first or second team all-ACC. That's a pretty strong hint that she'll be FOY.

Some people say a "sixth man" is any player who doesn't start. A stricter criterion is that a "sixth man" is a nonstarter who is not among the team's top 5 in minutes per game. If we're simply talking about any nonstarter, Thomas (a first-team all-ACC selection) is the clear choice. But neither she nor Ogunbowale would meet the stricter criterion based on minutes per game.

In regards to Sixth Man, I see your point and think they'll go with the former definition (think of many of the great sixth mans...they have starter minutes). In that case, I agree with Thomas as the choice, with kudos to Ogunbowale and Durr.

Agree with Watts as FOY and Hines-Allen. Her performance does not surprise me, having watched her grow and ply her craft for many years in her hometown of Montclair, NJ.
I'm not clamoring for Turner or Cable as POY, in part because of what McGraw did this year, which I believe strongly merits Coach of the Year. Having had to deal with unexpected roster losses for various reasons from the day after last year's Championship game to mid-season - as well as a six-game stint without Turner -- she had to be very flexible and utilize a lot more of her roster than she probably expected. That includes initially hoping to get, then depending on, contributions from two freshman, Ogunbowale and Mabrey2. As such she put together a team and rotation where the whole is pretty much greater than the sum of it's parts. If I had to choose an integral part of this year's Irish, it would be Cable, who is the heart and soul that propels this team but having her on the ACC First Team sounds right.

Walz and Hillsman have done exemplary work, as you and Jenny point out. But McGraw started to do more with less (than expected) and here they are again.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

I think Walz and Hillsman have done exceptional jobs this year. Per your point that Louisville should've beaten ND, that's -- perhaps -- part of the reason I think McGraw has been exceptional this year (in addition to the personnel reasons I mention in the above post): McGraw has won -- I believe -- 25+ games in a row in games decided by single digits. That's pretty exceptional. While her team is not quite as young or inexperienced as the Cardinals (Cable, Allen), she's got a lot of sophomores (Turner, Westbeld and Johnson) and two freshman (Ogunbowale, Mabrey2) playing a lot of minutes.

That said, I could see Hillsman winning for coming "out of left field." I think coaches expect these performances out of McGraw and Walz.

BTW, Hines-Allen is exceptional (I live in her hometown and have seen her a lot). She is very intense -- good thing -- and can get high-strung (not so good). Walz has done a good job with her. She needs to be in games, which was obviously the turning point of the ND game.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My predictions:
  • POY: Myisha Hines-Allen of Louisville, 2nd in ACC in both scoring (18.0 ppg) and rebounding (8.1 per game) in conference play.
  • FOY: Stephanie Watts of UNC, 5th in ACC in scoring (16.2 ppg) and 1st in rebounding (8.3 per game) in conference play.
    If not: Shakayla Thomas of Florida State, 3rd in ACC in scoring (17.5 ppg) in conference play.
    If so: Asia Durr of Louisville, 12.4 ppg, 48% FG percentage, 88% FT percentage in conference play.

Nailed it. Good job.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This would be a good time to remind everyone that Huskies Rule and I predicted Stephanie Watts would be very good.

I was curious about her numbers so I looked it up:

33.6 mpg, 14.5 ppg, 36.1 fg%, 28.9 3fg%, 7.2 rpg, 79 ast, 97 to, 41 block, 45 steal

Her stats are pretty interesting. Her raw stats are good but a little inflated compared to others because UNC has basically been playing 6 players this year. The shooting percentages are not good at 36.1 FG% and 28.9 3FG% BUT UNC shot poorly overall (38.8 FG%, 28.4% 3FG) so it's not like she was taking the ball away from more efficient players. 7.2 rpg and 41 blocks are pretty impressive for a 5-11 guard. She's definitely got something. It would be interesting to see how she could perform on a deeper, more efficient team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Typically sixth man awards are only limited by starts - in the AAC for example I believe it is any player that has fewer than 5 starts in conference play (Gabby Williams should qualify.) Minutes per game are not typically a limiting factor, though a team like SC who started seniors over better younger players last year might prejudice some voters from voting for Wilson or Coates for a sixth man even if they did technically qualify.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was curious about her numbers so I looked it up:

33.6 mpg, 14.5 ppg, 36.1 fg%, 28.9 3fg%, 7.2 rpg, 79 ast, 97 to, 41 block, 45 steal

Her stats are pretty interesting. Her raw stats are good but a little inflated compared to others because UNC has basically been playing 6 players this year. The shooting percentages are not good at 36.1 FG% and 28.9 3FG% BUT UNC shot poorly overall (38.8 FG%, 28.4% 3FG) so it's not like she was taking the ball away from more efficient players. 7.2 rpg and 41 blocks are pretty impressive for a 5-11 guard. She's definitely got something. It would be interesting to see how she could perform on a deeper, more efficient team.
Those are interesting numbers and the efficiency is not dissimilar to the last UNC FOY, in fact a little worse. Hopefully her next year turns out better.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Those are interesting numbers and the efficiency is not dissimilar to the last UNC FOY, in fact a little worse. Hopefully her next year turns out better.

I had the same thought. When I pulled those Watts stats I also looked at Diamond's

DeShields - 27.9 mpg, 18.0 ppg, 42.6 fg%, 27.9 3fg%, 5.4 rpg, 92 ast, 122 to, 10 block, 61 steal
Watts - 33.6 mpg, 14.5 ppg, 36.1 fg%, 28.9 3fg%, 7.2 rpg, 79 ast, 97 to, 41 block, 45 steal

Of course, Diamond's supporting cast was much, much better.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
My predictions:

Nicely done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member