AAC Tourney in Atlanta next year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Tourney in Atlanta next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having it in Orlando is a mistake if they expect more than 3,000 people at any game.

Memphis, Cincinnati and Hartford should really be where it is on a rotating basis.

The three most historically strong programs that figure a) to at least make the semis most years and b) have fans that show up if they do.

Look nobody is going to ECU vs USF anywhere, but a UConn Cincinnati final in Orlando gets what, 5k of locals and transplants?
Agree! Thats why its not exactly brain surgery to figure out why the old Big East and now AAC holds the womens conference tournament in Connecticut every year. In a conference like the AAC where all the schools are not in one region of the country, you have to cater to your top dogs. It makes the most sense in many ways and obviously it makes the most sense financially

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
honestly, I think it should go to whatever city/arena that will guarantee the most $$$

I don't care if it's played in Alaska as long as the check clears....

Last edited:

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I'm a season ticket holder in Hartford, and I can tell you that the arena needs way more than the $30 mil "upgrade". The XL Center has outlived it's useful life, and requires a $200+ mil upgrade or needs to be rebuilt...we have about 20 open threads on that item

Second, the population of metropolitan Hartford (actual city) is less than 100,000. Add in all of the surrounding suburbs (West Hartford, Glastonbury, Wethersfield, Rocky Hill etc) and you may come close to 1 mil, but those towns don't share anything with the city

according to this, Hartford has a Metro population of 1,212,381

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford,_Connecticut

Reaction Score
What do you possibly care? Do you get a cut? The money for the AAC is laughable so the difference isn't that significant either way.

honestly, I think it should go to whatever city/arena that will guarantee the most $$$

I don't care if it's played in Alaska as long as the check clears....

Reaction Score
Having it in Orlando is a mistake if they expect more than 3,000 people at any game.

Memphis, Cincinnati and Hartford should really be where it is on a rotating basis.

The three most historically strong programs that figure a) to at least make the semis most years and b) have fans that show up if they do.

Look nobody is going to ECU vs USF anywhere, but a UConn Cincinnati final in Orlando gets what, 5k of locals and transplants?

You might be selling Orlando short. There's a reason why so many bowl games are in the South during the winter months. ECU vs. USF would likely get more people in Orlando than Hartford FWIW. While Orlando wouldn't set single game attendance records, they could do OK regarding total attendance. You have two local teams in UCF and USF. ECU and Tulane are drivable. Dallas and Houston are cheap flights. The rest are easy in and outs form. Plus, Orlando/Florida is a decent destination in March.

Reaction Score
Second, the population of metropolitan Hartford (actual city) is less than 100,000. Add in all of the surrounding suburbs (West Hartford, Glastonbury, Wethersfield, Rocky Hill etc) and you may come close to 1 mil, but those towns don't share anything with the city

Terms have definitions! =)

Reaction Score
Bars, restaurants and hotels within walking distance of the arena is what makes a good conference tournament site. Who cares whether the arena is new or not.

Hartford works.

I don't know, does Orlando?

Reaction Score
Bars, restaurants and hotels within walking distance of the arena is what makes a good conference tournament site. Who cares whether the arena is new or not.

Hartford works.

I don't know, does Orlando?
I've been to downtown Orlando where the Amway Center is. The downtown area has plenty of restaurants, bars and hotels. I remember there was an entertainment area that cars couldn't go down. I think it will work fine. It's not New York City but better than Hartford since I think it's a good destination to spend a few days. The weather in March is certainly better!

Last edited:

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
What do you possibly care? Do you get a cut? The money for the AAC is laughable so the difference isn't that significant either way.

Some folks actually want this conference to succeed, and realize it's now their home.

Reaction Score
Some folks actually want this conference to succeed, and realize it's now their home.
Seriously. I don't to be here long (we don't even make sense geographically, really), but while we're here it makes much more sense that the conference is a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom