AAC Tourney in Atlanta next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Andy Katz said on espn that next year the AAC Tourney will be Atlanta

Reaction Score
Are you sure that's not the ACC Tournament?

Atlanta makes no sense for our conference, and a quick google search suggests it will be in Orlando for both 2016 and 2017.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
It's in Orlando at the Magic's arena, lol Katz...

AmwayCenter-Orlando-EmptySeatingBowl.jpg

Memphis, Hartford, Orlando....solid locations and nice arenas

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ok bc they were definitely talking about the aac

Reaction Score
Agree, Hartford as a city is a dump anytime of the year let along in March and the XL is a joke compared to modern NBA arenas like FedEx or the new Orlando one

If you believe that Hartford is a solid location/nice arena, well, I feel sorry for you...

Reaction Score
It's in Orlando at the Magic's arena, lol Katz...

AmwayCenter-Orlando-EmptySeatingBowl.jpg

Memphis, Hartford, Orlando....solid locations and nice arenas
2 of the 3 are solid, just not Hartford.

Memphis and Hartford had 2 big schools to carry the attendance. Memphis also had Lville too.

I think Orlando while a fine location, will see very low attendance.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If you believe that Hartford is a solid location/nice arena, well, I feel sorry for you...

He said Memphis was nice too so I took his judgement with a large grain of salt.

Reaction Score
I think Orlando is a good place to have it. My concern would be the turnout from the UCF fanbase. Orlando is a nice place to visit if you're from the northeast, but the host school really has to pack the arena. That and the fact that UCF could easily get bounced early. I would like to see it in Dallas. It's far for our fanbase, but SMU fans would show up in bunches. And the teams that are making the league competitive should be rewarded.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

I shouldn't have to tell you the XL Center just underwent a 30+ million dollar renovation, and is a city with a metro population of over 1 million.

hc-xl-center-hartford-connecticut-future-study-20141018

go have a conference tourney at Southern Miss or UTEP and get back to me, lol...ah, 9am tip off's for the CUSA title in El Paso...I'll never miss that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Orlando is a good place to have it. My concern would be the turnout from the UCF fanbase. Orlando is a nice place to visit if you're from the northeast, but the host school really has to pack the arena. That and the fact that UCF could easily get bounced early. I would like to see it in Dallas. It's far for our fanbase, but SMU fans would show up in bunches. And the teams that are making the league competitive should be rewarded.

Orlando would be a good destination, but frankly I'm not willing to take the time off to travel for this tournament. My group's annual vacation was to the Big East tourney each year, and that was driven mostly by location. Spending a week in NYC at the Garden was heaven for any college basketball fan.

I would probably do the same thing if UConn ever got into the B1G or ACC, but the locations will never be as appealing as NYC. Chicago or Atlanta could be cool, but it just doesn't have the same allure

Reaction Score
I shouldn't have to tell you the XL Center just underwent a 30+ million dollar renovation, and is a city with a metro population of over 1 million.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-54433228/turbine/hc-xl-center-hartford-connecticut-future-study-20141018[/img]

go have a conference tourney at Southern Miss or UTEP and get back to me, lol...ah, 9am tip off's for the CUSA title in El Paso...I'll never miss that.

I'm a season ticket holder in Hartford, and I can tell you that the arena needs way more than the $30 mil "upgrade". The XL Center has outlived it's useful life, and requires a $200+ mil upgrade or needs to be rebuilt...we have about 20 open threads on that item

Second, the population of metropolitan Hartford (actual city) is less than 100,000. Add in all of the surrounding suburbs (West Hartford, Glastonbury, Wethersfield, Rocky Hill etc) and you may come close to 1 mil, but those towns don't share anything with the city

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Obviously, Orlando is an attempt at social engineering on the AAC. They're hoping that the players will chase after Snow White rather than the ladies of Bourbon St.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The AAC tournament will be in Orlando (where the Magic play, not UCF) for the next 2 years. Hopefully by then, Cincinnati's arena will be renovated and we can get the first conference tournament since 2004 here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's a difference between cities that are great to work and live in and cities that are great to host a tournament/party for the weekend.

As horrifingly bad as this conference is for teams, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans and Orlando are all high quality cities for conference championships. Throw in Philly, Cincy, Tampa and even Hartford and you have a solid rotation of cities.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Having it in Orlando is a mistake if they expect more than 3,000 people at any game.

Memphis, Cincinnati and Hartford should really be where it is on a rotating basis.

The three most historically strong programs that figure a) to at least make the semis most years and b) have fans that show up if they do.

Look nobody is going to ECU vs USF anywhere, but a UConn Cincinnati final in Orlando gets what, 5k of locals and transplants?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Spring Break in Orlando? Sign me up. Getting to see the semis and final in person with my old man will be a huge treat this year, but give me warmer weather every other time.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well I'll be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member