A Baylor Fan's Thoughts on the "UConn Myth" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Baylor Fan's Thoughts on the "UConn Myth"

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Oh no worries, I doubt I ever post there and if I did it would only be respectful. We'll probably never play Baylor in real life.

I'll just use it to take the temperature on any future Texas recruits Dawn may be going after....

Tell her to stay out of Texas. She seems to be the biggest competition for Texas players at the moment.

Reaction Score
Yeah it's unfortunate that the "bored" OP decided to share that quote here (Along with the other Louisville topic they posted). Of course if you look around you're going to find all kinds of internet hatred for the top teams. I don't see the need to take it out on you ETT. Sad to see. Keep your chin up.

Gee....just trying to highlight how fans on the other boards view the UConn basketball program....I even posted responses from fellow posters that disagreed with the original premise......not sure what's so unfortunate about that....

Reaction Score
UConn's winning percentage in matches they are #1 or #2 against opponents that are#1 or #1 is 86%. That is better than Baylor's all time winning percentage of 64% and Mulkey's 83%. Enough said.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Tell her to stay out of Texas. She seems to be the biggest competition for Texas players at the moment.

As long as you tell Mulkey to stay west of the Mississippi and out of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida then we have a deal.

Seriously though, why do you think Dawn is your biggest competition for Texas players? I don't see it.. we currently have one player on our roster from Texas. The last big time player we had from Texas transferred after her first year. Connecticut (Lexi Gordon) and Louisville (Cierra Johnson) are currently doing a much better job in Texas than SC and both schools are upping the ante in Texas.

We are currently recruiting several Texas players for 2017, 2018 and 2019 but I think our chances of landing those players aren't any better than any other school, especially an in-state school like Baylor or Texas.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As long as you tell Mulkey to stay west of the Mississippi and out of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida then we have a deal.

Seriously though, why do you think Dawn is your biggest competition for Texas players? I don't see it.. we currently have one player on our roster from Texas. The last big time player we had from Texas transferred after her first year. Connecticut (Lexi Gordon) and Louisville (Cierra Johnson) are currently doing a much better job in Texas than SC and both schools are upping the ante in Texas.

We are currently recruiting several Texas players for 2017, 2018 and 2019 but I think our chances of landing those players aren't any better than any other school, especially an in-state school like Baylor or Texas.

This is the reason. Many of the 2017 recruits have both Baylor and USC on their lists and with the growing success that Staley is having I think many Texas players are going to give USC a good, hard look.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gee....just trying to highlight how fans on the other boards view the UConn basketball program....I even posted responses from fellow posters that disagreed with the original premise.not sure what's so unfortunate about that....
Because it was such a statistically weak and easily disproven argument. The winning streaks are only the outcome of dominance. Years in the Big East led to the same outcomes. The conference schedule is not where UCONN cuts its teeth. It is the OOC schedule where scores are sometimes closer but W-L outcomes are largely the same. The most important part of the UCONN myth that is true 10-0 in NC games. Get 'er done.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
This is the reason. Many of the 2017 recruits have both Baylor and USC on their lists and with the growing success that Staley is having I think many Texas players are going to give USC a good, hard look.

I may be downplaying Staley's recruiting ability but I'm just not convinced SC is about to come in to Texas and have great success recruiting Texas players.. Maybe she will, but there's no precedent for me to believe she will. We'll see.

FWIW, Staley recruits the West Coast just as hard as she recruits Texas. We have a lot of offers out there currently. Dawn is confident in her ability to bring these players back to SC. I on the other hand, will have to see it to believe it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Gee....just trying to highlight how fans on the other boards view the UConn basketball program....I even posted responses from fellow posters that disagreed with the original premise.not sure what's so unfortunate about that....
As Nan said - your choice wasn't bad and the Mods let it stand and it is now up to three pages - but if you read all the posts here you can see a little nasty edginess to some of them, taking the OP as being the general feeling of Baylor fans. That is why copying posts from other boards that are in anyway critical of Uconn is frowned upon. Summarizing an argument from another board tends not to cause the same heat that an actual post does.

I visit the Baylor board quite often and post there occasionally, including a couple in that thread. About half way through this current season there was a long thread about the Baylor OOC schedule being weak and depressing fan turnout and enjoyment - not unlike some of the threads or comments here about the AAC competition being boring. And this years Baylor OOC is better than the last couple of years. DePaul, USF, MSU, MIA and even James Madison are improvements over just KY of previous years.

The biggest difference for Baylor is I don't think their conference is as strong as it used to be - A&M is gone, OK and OK St are down, and only TX has improved. The idea that their conference schedule is a murders row no longer fits the reality. I think Kim expected this interregnum post Griner and Sims to be much more difficult. Tara at Stanford pulled back a bit after the loss of the O sisters, Cole at OK did as well, CViv at Rutgers too. If you don't have the team to compete at the very top, easing the schedule a bit is not a bad idea. And importantly, with the loss of one power conference, the nature of the committee calculations for NCAA spots has changed - the P5 teams are competing against fewer other power conference teams for the majority of the at large bids, so they don't need to be as concerned about the strength of their OOC - you look at the teams CC thinks lead the bubble or are in and they are teams with records that never would have gotten a shot in the six conference alignment. Old Big East teams now mired in the new BE or the AAC have much lower RPIs than they would have had because the bottom dross in the league while no better than Seton Hall, Pitt, and Providence, don't get the benefit of the strong conference RPI around them, nor the mediocrity of the old middle of that league.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
@UcMiami. The Cole I know doesn't coach in Oklahoma.;)

Permit a complementary comment to your astute analysis. There's nothing quite like a little snarky condescension from Waco to generate a powerful adrenalin rush in Boneyarders at their keyboards.:D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is a shame going into the NCAAs that the thread getting attention is from a troll with a theme that was worn to death about 7 months ago.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hmmm ... well, behind all this posturing by Bear fans and Husky fans, there is a somewhat interesting issue to debate.

If a team is an NC contender, is it better served (in terms of preparation for The Dance) by loading up its schedule with the toughest competition (in conference and out of conference) that it can possibly arrange, or is it better to play only a few challenging games and use the remainder of the schedule to "rest up" and work on player development in games where the outcome is a foregone conclusion?

It is my perception that Geno would prefer the former but is stuck with the latter. I do not think his preferences are universally shared among WCBB coaches.

It is also my perception that almost every player on the current UConn roster would greatly prefer the former. I don't think they get much enjoyment or satisfaction out of 40-point in-conference blowouts.

However, fans of other teams (at least some of them) seem to think that UConn derives a competitive advantage from its soft in-conference schedule, because that means that UConn will be "fresh as a daisy" for the tournament. I think it is more likely that a team that is accustomed to being challenged by capable opponents in nearly every game will be better prepared for the tournament.

Having said that, what conference could UConn play in where the majority of the games would be at all competitive? Yes, in the P5 conferences, the blowouts would be by 25 points instead of 40 or 50, but most games would still be blowouts. UConn beat by 12 (and was up by 17 with 1 minute left) the team that is undefeated in the SEC. It beat by 10 the team that is undefeated in the ACC (and was up by 20 after three quarters). It beat by 10 the team that won the Big 10, and beat by 30 the only other team in the Big 10 that beat that team. Last year in the Sweet Sixteen round, it beat this year's 2nd best team in the Big 12 by 50 points -- and that team was Baylor's best competition this year (in conference or out).

So in the real world, I'm not sure where UConn could have played its in-conference schedule that would not have left it "fresh as a daisy" for this year's NCAA tournament, even if that was an involuntary condition.
Nice and similar to my thoughts.
The advantage Uconn has is that regardless of their schedule, the coaching staff does not let the players slide - if the lead is twenty, the expectation for the players on the floor is the exact same as if the lead is 5 or the team is down 5. And because of that the lead tends to go from 20 to 30, and the expectations remain the same, so it goes from 30 to 40. And if the bench is fairly competent the lead may not progress quite so quickly from 30 to 40, but it generally won't go from 30 to 20 either. And that is different from most other teams - when the lead is 30, things get sloppy, if there are 5 minutes left and the lead is 20, the final margin against mediocre teams may end up at 12, or 8. And it is also the reason that undefeated seasons are not uncommon, and Uconn owns 4 of the five longest winning streaks - they don't take plays off, they don't take quarters off, and they respect the game and the opponent all the time.

There really was a lot of discussion the last two years by talking heads about Uconn being unprepared for good teams, or untested in tight games leading into the NCAA - that transformed into discussion of Uconn's practice style, and coaching style against weak or strong teams being the same and how that attention to detail makes the weakness of opponents or lack of tight games irrelevant. That is the new 'meme' .

The idea that actual game play is tiring to players is propagated by fans who don't realize the percentage of a season that is devoted to practice vs game play or maybe by former players on teams where practice was a cake walk. Games for Uconn players and most D1 players are like vacation from 2+ hours of running at practice. Starters in games occasionally run for 40 minutes with frequent breaks, most of them only run for 25-30 minutes, and by run, it isn't suicides, it is short bursts with frequent moments to catch your breath. Do that three days in a row, and it might start to wear, but that happens only once or twice a year in conference or in-season tournaments. And after the conference tournament you get 10+ days to recover.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
That is INCORRECT!

Apologies. You're correct in that 3 games I identified as home were actually on neutral courts, however the main thrust of my post stands:

1. Comparing common and similar opponents, UConn shows a clear edge.
2. It's farcical that a D1 power with national championship aspirations would not play a single away game in their OOC schedule. As I said in another thread, the NCAA going forward should make it clear that such scheduling will be penalized at seeding time.

I also want to make it clear that I'm not trying to pick on Baylor. I only used Baylor because the thread was started relative to Baylor and that I'm not aware of any other D1 power that had a similar OOC schedule.

Reaction Score
When Britney Griner committed to Baylor is was practically guaranteed that they would win four National Championships. Then Odyssey Sims committed to Baylor and surely they would win three. I can't quite recall, but how many NCs did Baaylor win? Wasn't it just one? Seems right to me. Shove your opinion you know where!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It is a shame going into the NCAAs that the thread getting attention is from a troll with a theme that was worn to death about 7 months ago.
Hence the rule about "dragging over". Those threads never end well.

Reaction Score
Hence the rule about "dragging over". Those threads never end well.

I was seeking to provide a little fun food for thought but I underestimated how many folks here would develop a case of indigestion...as I told my daughter when she lost her first basketball game when she was six years old....'never forget, it's just a game"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was seeking to provide a little fun food for thought but I underestimated how many folks here would develop a case of indigestion...as I told my daughter when she lost her first basketball game when she was six years old....'never forget, it's just a game"
We have a lot of people here and reactions can vary widely. It doesn't take much to start a flame war, though. :(. I know some get annoyed with me for shutting down threads but it's easier to avoid a problem than solve one.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I was there and the whole crowd stood and clapped from the moment Geno came into sight until he walked across the floor to the bench. It was a special moment and one I was proud to be a part of.
Wow- The only reason I/we knew about it was Jeff Van Gundy mentioning it just prior to the tap! Awesome! And as for Kim- I love her! I love her clothes! I love the fire and intensity she has! Heck- she's a character like Geno is- and we need more "characters" like them to help grow the game. Oh yea- and she can coach. She beat ND in the regionals w Odyssey the first yr Griner left. She just couldn't beat the officials too! And that's the truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom