A Baylor Fan's Thoughts on the "UConn Myth" | The Boneyard

A Baylor Fan's Thoughts on the "UConn Myth"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While trolling on the Baylor Basketball Forum came across a rather detailed analysis of the "weakness" of Huskies basketball schedule. I have included some actually fair minded responses just to prove that there are some intelligent basketball fans on that board.

• I’m sick of hearing about UConn’s "winning streak" It’s totally irrelevant when you consider who they play for the vast majority of their yearly schedule.
    To wit:

All information below gleaned from this site:
    http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Women.html

Women's Basketball - American Athletic (2015-2016)
    Conf. RPI Rank: 9
    Conf. SOS Rank: 7
    Only games against Division I opponents are counted.
    Last updated - Tue Mar 8 08:10:02 PST 2016

RPI Rk American Athletic Conf All
    3 Connecticut 21-0 32-0
    20 South Florida 16-5 23-9
    71 Temple 14-6 20-11
    73 Tulane 12-8 21-11
    111 Memphis 12-7 18-12
    149 East Carolina 7-13 13-19
    193 Tulsa 9-11 12-19
    195 SMU 8-12 13-18
    239 Cincinnati 4-15 8-22
    277 UCF 4-15 7-23
    285 Houston 2-17 6-24

Overall AA Conference RPI rank average: 1616/11 teams = 147th
    Taking UConn out of the equation: 1613/10 teams = 161st
    Only 2 of the 11 teams (18%) ended up ranked in the Top 50.

So...of their 18 conference games, outside of the 2 games against #20 USF, UConn played the other 16 games against teams ranked nationally by RPI, from 71st to 285th!

Note also that of the 11 conference teams, 6 (55%) have losing records for all games played.

Is there any doubt then, that UConn would have to be the most rested, least worn down team of any in the major conferences when it took on the 4-5 out of conference ranked teams?? Sure, they did win those games, but every game to the point of playing those few ranked teams were no more than practice sessions to hone their craft. UConn's starters and top reserves would all be fresh as daisies by the time they played any top teams out of conference, and when they begin the NCAA's.

By comparison, let’s look at the Big 12 Conference:

Women's Basketball - Big 12 (2015-2016)
    Conf. RPI Rank: 3
    Conf. SOS Rank: 2
    Only games against Division I opponents are counted.
    Last updated - Tue Mar 8 08:10:02 PST 2016

RPI Rk Big 12 Conf All
    2 Baylor 20-1 33-1
    7 Texas 17-4 28-4
    22 West Virginia 13-7 24-9
    29 Oklahoma 12-8 21-10
    30 Oklahoma St. 11-8 21-9
    48 Kansas St. 8-11 18-12
    107 TCU 8-11 16-14
    128 Iowa St. 5-14 13-17
    137 Texas Tech 4-16 13-18
    220 Kansas 1-19 6-25

Overall Big 12 Conference RPI rank average: 730/11 teams = 73rd
    Taking Baylor out of the equation: 728/9 teams = 80th

6 of the 10 teams (60%) ended ranked in the Top 50

Note that of the 10 conference teams, only 3 (30%) have losing records. Which means that teams in the B12 typically have at least one very tough conference game every week of their schedules. It takes major management skills by a head coach to balance rest vs. needed practice for the long grind of highly competitive games in the Big 12. Not so, UConn.

I’m not saying UConn isn’t very good, and extremely talented - they are both of those things. But when I hear about their long "undefeated" record/winning streak, I have to put an asterisk beside it, since no fewer than 16 of their league games are basically walkovers and totally uncompetitive matchups that 95% of Big 12 teams in any given year would be undefeated against. I wouldn’t be surprised to see UConn win every game in their conference until Geno succumbs from boredom. So, every time I hear commentators gush about UConn’s conference win streak, I want to yell "BOGUS BS!". Because it is a totally worthless and meaningless statistic.

That is all...

• I believe they have won 3 Natty's in a row, looking for number 4.
      That might have something to do with it.
    • user-online.png
      UConn fan
      reputation_pos.png
      (39 points)

I'll take a stab at answering.
      It's true that the AAC is not a very strong conference. Geno counters that with their OOC schedule. They have played South Carolina, Notre Dame, Maryland and Ohio St, among others, in their OOC schedule.
      Teams ranked 10-50 are, in general, not going to be the ones that beat UCONN in all likelihood.
      It will probably come from one of the other top 5 ranked teams.
      Which would you consider the most difficult schedule for a #1 ranked team ? A schedule filled with teams ranked between 30-50 or a schedule with most of the games against teams ranked at 200 and above but with 5 games against top 10 teams ?
      I assure you that the former schedule would be ranked much higher but the #1 team probably wouldn't break a sweat. The latter schedule, while lower ranked, would present a real challenge of the #1 team for 5 games.
      It's interesting that when UConn left the big East, it's critics forecast trouble for the Huskies because their weak conference schedule would not have them prepared for NCAAT play.
      (They did have a record of success while in the Big East, which was the toughest wcbb conference for years)
      When that theory didn't turn out to be very accurate, the critics made a 180 and said thatUConn's success was because of their weak conference schedule!!
      Sometimes you just can't win, even when you're undefeated.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Pretty ironic comments from a Baylor fan considering the fact that Baylor not only played a mediocre OOC schedule, but every single OOC game was played at HOME!

Reaction Score
A majority of fans on the Baylor board disagreed with the op's position.
On a side note, I have to express how impressed I am with the responder of the post that starts "I'll take a stab at answering".
The poster shows unusually fine insight and impeccable reasoning.
If only we could get him to post here !!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would like to remind folks that we strongly discourage bringing trash talk from other boards to the Boneyard. The couple of posts from the Louisville and Baylor boards aren't bad, but don't "drag over" insults or nasty talk, please.

Reaction Score
If Baylor and Uconn had traded schedules this year,Uconn would still be undefeated and Baylor would have 3 or 4 losses.They only beat USF by 3 points on their home court,so presumably they may have lost to them in a subsequent game.Furthermore,Uconn would have beaten Oklahoma State by at least 20 points even without MoJeff.Baylor uses the lack of their point guard as an excuse for that one loss.Coach snakepants only has one player piling up assists and when she is out the offense stalls.There are only about two decent teams in any league and Uconn's mov would be exceedingly high in any conference.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Congratulations on a complete analysis on the difference in schedules between Connecticut and others.It took some work and dedication to find and post how others see Connecticut as less than superior.
I agree with how you would reply to the person or persons who originally posted their thoughts.
I would add two thoughts to any reply.
1.Whatever Connecticut faces on the basketball court,whether the highest ranked team in the nation or the lowly conference team,they play basically the same,with the will and desire to play as instructed,by the coaching staff,and to win as a team,not relying on any one to monopolize the scoring,game after game.Many very good teams rely on one or two players, to carry the scoring load,but Connecticut has less history in this type of strategy.
2.Every school's fans in the nation who whine and cry about Connecticut and how or why they win,but the bottom line is,they come out on top more times than most teams in those teams histories of championship play.Connecticut wins,because they are taught to play the right way.Connecticut wins because our coaches get the best out of those who wish to be successful in their college career and on.
Connecticut is kind of like the old Yankee teams,despised for being what they usually are,in a class of their own.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If Baylor and Uconn had traded schedules this year,Uconn would still be undefeated and Baylor would have 3 or 4 losses.They only beat USF by 3 points on their home court,so presumably they may have lost to them in a subsequent game.Furthermore,Uconn would have beaten Oklahoma State by at least 20 points even without MoJeff.Baylor uses the lack of their point guard as an excuse for that one loss.Coach snakepants only has one player piling up assists and when she is out the offense stalls.There are only about two decent teams in any league and Uconn's mov would be exceedingly high in any conference.
Ha! Now that's a new one. Is it yours?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Congratulations on a complete analysis on the difference in schedules between Connecticut and others.It took some work and dedication to find and post how others see Connecticut as less than superior.
I agree with how you would reply to the person or persons who originally posted their thoughts.
I would add two thoughts to any reply.
1.Whatever Connecticut faces on the basketball court,whether the highest ranked team in the nation or the lowly conference team,they play basically the same,with the will and desire to play as instructed,by the coaching staff,and to win as a team,not relying on any one to monopolize the scoring,game after game.Many very good teams rely on one or two players, to carry the scoring load,but Connecticut has less history in this type of strategy.
2.Every school's fans in the nation who whine and cry about Connecticut and how or why they win,but the bottom line is,they come out on top more times than most teams in those teams histories of championship play.Connecticut wins,because they are taught to play the right way.Connecticut wins because our coaches get the best out of those who wish to be successful in their college career and on.
Connecticut is kind of like the old Yankee teams,despised for being what they usually are,in a class of their own.
I would agree with everything you say except 2 points -
- I don't think there is quite as much whining and crying about how, why or that you win, only annoyance that no other team can challenge you.
- Many very good teams rely on 1 or 2 players because that's what they have. As Patty Coyle, when she was HC of the NY Liberty said, the difference between the "W" and the NCAA is that most college teams have 2 or at most 3 players that are actually really good players. In the "W" the reserves are that level.

UConn is blessed usually to have more than 1 or 2 really talented players.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Updated to correctly show Maryland in B1G.

Baylor versus UConn.jpg

It's also worth mentioning that in games against similar opponents that not only was UConn's margin of victory better, but they played the higher ranked team(s).

Reaction Score
I think Kim made a major error in not scheduling UCONN this year. If she had the Baylor players would have seen how UCONN plays and the loss would have been well worth it. Now if they should meet in the final four, Baylor has absolutely no chance of winning.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is actually an interesting thread over on the Baylor site - an interesting site to visit that is well run and full of intelligent posters. And as someone says, most of the Baylor posters as well as the visitors are pretty solid in support of the excellence of uconn.
The one interesting slant that does get trotted out, like it used to be with TN fans, is how much more rested the Uconn team is entering the NCAA because they don't have to play a tough conference schedule. This is the new refrain after the one from a few years ago that the media trotted out, that Uconn not being challenged in the AAC would leave them unprepared for NCAA competition.

18-22 year olds who all get ten days off before the NCAAs really shouldn't be tired entering the tournament. Bruised and battered happens regardless of competition and is much an issue in practice as it is in games. Injured ... that is a crap shoot and is just bad luck - very few injuries in WCBB come from 'tough competition' and many happen in a 'vacuum' - meaning without contact from anyone.

Reaction Score
I think Kim made a major error in not scheduling UCONN this year. If she had the Baylor players would have seen how UCONN plays and the loss would have been well worth it. Now if they should meet in the final four, Baylor has absolutely no chance of winning.
What we fans say about strength of schedule and days off, etc. doesn't count for anything. History will only consider the won-loss record and number of National Championships. (Whom did UCLA play, besides one very famous game against Houston and the Big E, which they lost! No one remembers much else of their opponents.) And, as connboy77 implies, it's not like Geno didn't want to play Baylor: Kim ducked us until the big 3 graduates.

Reaction Score
No apologies for our schedule.... can't help that we have an AAC schedule..... and what difference does it make.... other teams cannot seem to measure up to our program when it comes to NCAAs and OOC games.... who else beat SCarolina by 25 last yr and 12 this yr??

Next yr we will lose a lot but we still will be very good..... and we have country's best coaches..... let the haters hate... it is OK....

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
The only time Kim schedules us is when she thinks she has superior talent.

Reaction Score
The only time Kim schedules us is when she thinks she has superior talent.

No question!!! Kim is noted for doing this..... I have great respect for the coaches who adopt the "anyone, anywhere, anytime" philosophy..... Kim leads the pack in those why shy away from the stiffest competition....

I give great credit to tyne Stanfords and Duke of the world, who say "bring it on!!", even though they shied away from doing that this year.....

Reaction Score
No question!!! Kim is noted for doing this..... I have great respect for the coaches who adopt the "anyone, anywhere, anytime" philosophy..... Kim leads the pack in those why shy away from the stiffest competition....

I give great credit to tyne Stanfords and Duke of the world, who say "bring it on!!", even though they shied away from doing that this year.....
Don't forget ND plays us every year and plays us well. Kudos to Muffet!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let me add another silly stat to this discussion. The outer limits of the geographical stretch of the AAC goes out to a Connecticut-Dallas/Tulsa-Florida triangle. Within this vast expanse are Philadelphia, Memphis, New Orleans, Houston and Cincinnati.

To play a complete schedule a team like UConn must log a staggering number of numbing flier miles -- far more than their P5 conference counterparts. Surely this much exposure to jet lag from time zone changes and in-flight food would exhaust ordinary mortals.:rolleyes:

Of course we know that our UConn Huskies are not ordinary.;)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well it really doesn't matter who plays who and where they play them. UConn will beat every team by double digits and the only question is can any team come with in double digits of UConn. There is a reason Kim didn't schedule UConn this season and she did for next season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well it really doesn't matter who plays who and where they play them. UConn will beat every team by double digits and the only question is can any team come with in double digits of UConn. There is a reason Kim didn't schedule UConn this season and she did for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom