2022 Giants Thread | Page 32 | The Boneyard

2022 Giants Thread

Reaction Score
As if that's relevant criteria for what you pay a guy. It's irrelevant. He's not a $40m QB. Hell, a year ago most of you wanted to move on. His new agents are playing games. Giants should call the bluff. They can always tag him at $32 and if somebody really wants to pay him $45 a year, trade him.
The issue is that if they tag him he has a $32M cap hit next year. If it's a 2-3 year deal they'll be able to work out the cap hit so it's lower to potentially keep Barkley and add some FAs. Still hope they don't have to go to $45M to get it done though

Reaction Score
As if that's relevant criteria for what you pay a guy. It's irrelevant. He's not a $40m QB. Hell, a year ago most of you wanted to move on. His new agents are playing games. Giants should call the bluff. They can always tag him at $32 and if somebody really wants to pay him $45 a year, trade him.
Performance, market averages, and replacement value isn’t relative to what you pay someone?

Ok, cool, good to know.

Sure I’d love to pay a QB $30 mill a year but that’s not reality with where the market is and where it is going.

Reaction Score
Schoen has said there is a point at which they are done with the Jones camp. This will go to the final day probably and the Jones camp will blink I think.
Whatever the AAV is means nothing this year, because you can play funny Money with multi-year deals.
Giants have like 150 million free to spend next year as of now - they have no problem pushing extra cap hit to next year to keep getting better this year both via free agency and the draft….as long as the Jones camp works with them.

Reaction Score
The issue is that if they tag him he has a $32M cap hit next year. If it's a 2-3 year deal they'll be able to work out the cap hit so it's lower to potentially keep Barkley and add some FAs. Still hope they don't have to go to $45M to get it done though
The report I saw was that he wants more than the $45 mil. What do we do with that and then with Saquon? Seems like an awfully large sum for 2 guys. Do we let Saquon walk?

Reaction Score
And you’re willing to pay top market value for a guy with 1 good season? Ha ok buddy
Do yourself a favor, go do just a tab bit of research into what the salary cap is going to do when the new TV deal goes it effect. It went up almost 17 mill this year with no new TV money. While you are at look at the current and upcoming QB market where it will be.

Paying a QB in the 40s is not top of the market. Not even close.

But hey, go start Tyrod and wins 3 games next year. When you cry all year Ill just remind you to keep your chip up cause you saved some of Mara's money on not paying Jones.

Reaction Score
Schoen has said there is a point at which they are done with the Jones camp. This will go to the final day probably and the Jones camp will blink I think.
Whatever the AAV is means nothing this year, because you can play funny Money with multi-year deals.
Giants have like 150 million free to spend next year as of now - they have no problem pushing extra cap hit to next year to keep getting better this year both via free agency and the draft….as long as the Jones camp works with them.
Bingo. Looking at AAV alone is ridiculous. Given the Giants current cap situation, the salary cap increase coming with the new TV deal, there are a myriad of ways to work the contract to have the smallest impact on the future development of the roster.

Hurts, Tua, Burrow, Herbert, and Lawerence are all getting new deals this summer or next. The market is about to look drastically different.

If you tag him this year and he plays well again you are now negotiating in 2024 for a long term deal in a completely different arena.

Reaction Score
Do yourself a favor, go do just a tab bit of research into what the salary cap is going to do when the new TV deal goes it effect. It went up almost 17 mill this year with no new TV money. While you are at look at the current and upcoming QB market where it will be.

But hey, go start Tyrod and wins 3 games next year. When you cry all year Ill just remind you to keep your chip up cause you saved some of Mara's money on not paying Jones.
It shows a lot that you are unable to have a discussion on a message board without sounding like a pompous jerk. Learn how to be less condescending, it’s not a good look.

Anywho, there are other QBs on the market that have proven a lot more and will be available for the same or less. If DJ and his agents think he’s proven something crazy and is in the same echelon as Dak/Watson after 1 good season, let him walk.

Reaction Score
It shows a lot that you are unable to have a discussion on a message board without sounding like a pompous jerk. Learn how to be less condescending, it’s not a good look.

Anywho, there are other QBs on the market that have proven a lot more and will be available for the same or less. If DJ and his agents think he’s proven something crazy and is in the same echelon as Dak/Watson after 1 good season, let him walk.
Who?

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be averse to putting the lesser tag on him for 29 mil and getting two first rounders if they don’t want to match a potential offer.

I only say that because I trust Schoen and Daboll to make good use of the extra picks and coach up the next QB. I think we are still 2-3 years away from making a Super Bowl push.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

There are literally only 5 guys making $40m+ That's top of the market. He's asking for more than Josh Allen. Paying a QB a huge chunk of the cap is not a winning formula.

Reaction Score
Jones will be the
Jimmy G, Carr, Lamar, Rodgers.
Rogers plays for the packers. And are you aware what he makes?

Lamar can and will be tagged by the ravens and are you aware of what he wants?

Jimmy G? I know you hate jones and are disappointed he proved you wrong all year but you are the one person in the world who want Jimmy G over him in this system, or frankly any system.

Carr is 7 years old has zero playoff wins and the extension he signed in Vegas was for over 40 mill a year. There is a reason the Giants have no interest in him.

You said better players for as much or cheaper. None of the 4 you listed are that combo.

Reaction Score
There are literally only 5 guys making $40m+ That's top of the market. He's asking for more than Josh Allen. Paying a QB a huge chunk of the cap is not a winning formula.
No, there are 8 right now with an AVV of $40 or more.

By 2024 there will be a minimum of 13 and that is not counting Jones.

You either have a QB on a rookie deal or pay a QB a lot of money. The only in between is having Andy Dalton or Baker Mayfield.

Also, buying into and getting so worked up about an alleged report, that was actually proven to be false and put out by his old agent after he was fired is crazy.
401296BE-F2C2-4B2A-8789-538213E1CEDB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Jones will be the

Rogers plays for the packers. And are you aware what he makes?

Lamar can and will be tagged by the ravens and are you aware of what he wants?

Jimmy G? I know you hate jones and are disappointed he proved you wrong all year but you are the one person in the world who want Jimmy G over him in this system, or frankly any system.

Carr is 7 years old has zero playoff wins and the extension he signed in Vegas was for over 40 mill a year. There is a reason the Giants have no interest in him.

You said better players for as much or cheaper. None of the 4 you listed are that combo.
@CardiacAndre7 here is a free agency ranking

If you can find as you said a better qb for just as much or cheaper I am totally interested

Reaction Score
Jimmy G, Carr, Lamar, Rodgers.

I totally agree on the “don’t go north of mid 30s” for a guy with one good season he’s still not a proven commodity. But don’t want any of those guys honestly Rogers is paid way too much now and he may go into darkness for good any time he feels like it. Let’s be honest Jones path looks to be better than Carr or Jimmy G but if used as a bandaid after a trade I get it. Lamar is interesting but again, not overpaying for a guy who doesn’t like full seasons either!

Tag him I guess! If he has a great 2nd year in throw the dice roll his way.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We are getting a bit more concerned than we should be at the moment. Total contract and average annual value numbers get thrown around because players and agents like seeing these for bragging rights but guaranteed money is of far greater importance.

What I would like to see, and I imagine Schoen, et al are smart enough to also want this, is a 2023 cap hit at worst in the low $30's (millions), a 2024 cap hit not much larger and a manageable amount of dead money if it appears we need to move in a different direction at QB after the next two seasons.0 It is very possible that this can be worked out with a contract that gets advertised as $40-$42+ million per year.

What I don't want to see (and I highly doubt we will) is a top of the market cost for the next few seasons with no way to move on if he isn't what we want at QB.

Reaction Score
It might be time for some Giants fans to find a new team you know who you are..

Reaction Score
I totally agree on the “don’t go north of mid 30s” for a guy with one good season he’s still not a proven commodity. But don’t want any of those guys honestly Rogers is paid way too much now and he may go into darkness for good any time he feels like it. Let’s be honest Jones path looks to be better than Carr or Jimmy G but if used as a bandaid after a trade I get it. Lamar is interesting but again, not overpaying for a guy who doesn’t like full seasons either!

Tag him I guess! If he has a great 2nd year in throw the dice roll his way.
I ate crow on my DJ skepticism. It still lingers because as i’ve said, 1 good year. 30-35 is perfectly fine, but north of 45 is too much. I want to keep him, I think we can build with him and he can certainly build off of last season, but that’s just so much money

Reaction Score
I ate crow on my DJ skepticism. It still lingers because as i’ve said, 1 good year. 30-35 is perfectly fine, but north of 45 is too much. I want to keep him, I think we can build with him and he can certainly build off of last season, but that’s just so much money

I agree and we weren’t on the same page with DJ at all. But I’m still not even close to saying “told ya so” he still has so much to prove. So we’re definitely on the same page now he’s someone we want and probably need to move in the right direction. Having said that these new agents are outta their minds hopefully he steps in and says get it done, reasonably please so maybe we can even keep SB and add more pieces they need!

Reaction Score
Jones is somewhere around 15th best QB in the league. You don't kill your cap space for that kind of mediocrity.

BTW, it wasn't one good year. It was two good games. One against the 31st passing defense (Vikings) and the other against a team in complete disarray (Colts). If you think those two games were worth 20 million each, then pay him. But no sane person would.

Reaction Score
Jones is somewhere around 15th best QB in the league. You don't kill your cap space for that kind of mediocrity.

BTW, it wasn't one good year. It was two good games. One against the 31st passing defense (Vikings) and the other against a team in complete disarray (Colts). If you think those two games were worth 20 million each, then pay him. But no sane person would.
15th could be right if he doesn’t follow up this year with another one. But I’m thinking you’re well off on that basically because you’re only pointing to 2 games which in this case is a joke. He made a lot of big plays without having a receiver of any substance to speak of. He’s played for a team that rid themselves of a TE the year before who became a stud under Peterson and the Jags. He finally has a coach and hopefully will have some weapons to go with that. As I said not worth the asking price right now totally agree but your take is way off too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom