2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 24 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Walz on a radio show this morning said he was looking to sign 4-5 from the portal, ideally w/ 2-3 years of eligibility.
Interesting concept. Wondering if this is temporary, based on how he's feeling with the '24 & '25 classes, OR, is he eschewing the existing system of spending time recruiting HS players, and looking towards who's developed well after 1-2 years of college and might be looking for a change?

Reaction Score
The names don’t surprise me one bit. The gap between Dawn and the field is larger than expected, but perhaps that is a sign of the times changing.
I think the biggest part of that gap is simply the fact that so many players (other than other final four participants) would like to play for an undefeated team shooting for 2 straight. TIf we were "just" another final four participanty, I'm sure the gap would be smaller

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

So, Ms. Brown Turner wants "More growth and opportunities...."

Notre Dame fan here: I thought Brown Turner was the x-factor every time the Irish played the Wolfpack. If she showed up, B-T could take ND from distance, drive and be an absolute pain on defense. She was one of the few wings who could match up and frustrate Sonia Citron. On the other hand, if she decided to drive in third gear, ND would win -- as they did in the ACC Tourney.

Many thought Brown Turner (and Boyd) could take over the void in the NC State offense after her superb performance against UConn in the Elite Eight game of 2022 and Cunane's departure. However, it just never truly happened, with Diamond Johnson (first) and Saniya Rivers (later in the season) taking on the scoring and direction mantles.

Maybe it was never to be. Perhaps, she was never meant to be a lead scorer. Or, the relationship with Wes Moore/NC State in general had just run its course.

Both UVA and Louisville have announced they're looking for 4 to 5 players each. If Mir McLean comes back from her injury, she should take the wing position at UVA. However, I could see Jeff Walz thinking about Brown Turner to fill the void left by Morgan Jones and Payton Verhulst moving on. And, way out west, is Adia Barnes looking for a wing?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't believe in coincidences. And I'm sure Belmont coaches don't either.

Does this move make sense though? Even with Horston leaving, that's a pretty full backcourt with the likes of Darby, Walker and Powell if memory serves correct.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking they'll be a few more players in the portal before it's all said and done
Miles can go home if they have a mutual interest. KY's starting PG (Walker) is in the portal.

Reaction Score
"More growth and opportunities...."
Notre Dame fan here: I thought Brown Turner was the x-factor every time the Irish played the Wolfpack. If she showed up, B-T could take ND from distance, drive and be an absolute pain on defense. She was one of the few wings who could match up and frustrate Sonia Citron. On the other hand, if she decided to drive in third gear, ND would win -- as they did in the ACC Tourney.

Many thought Brown Turner (and Boyd) could take over the void in the NC State offense, but it just never truly happened, with Diamond Johnson (first) and Saniya Rivers (later in the season) taking on the mantle.

Maybe it was never to be. Or, this relationship had just run its course.

Both UVA and Louisville have announced they're looking for 4 to 5 players each. If Mir McLean comes back from her injury, she should take the wing position at UVA. However, I could see Jeff Walz thinking about Brown Turner to fill the void left by Morgan Jones and Payton Verhulst moving on.
Jeff has a lot of needs and few quality options so he should consider this one.

Reaction Score
Freshmen in the portal: it’s not a good look. Brown-Turner is a completely different story. She’s now the big name in the portal. I wonder how far she’s willing to go.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Does this move make sense though? Even with Horston leaving, that's a pretty full backcourt with the likes of Darby, Walker and Powell if memory serves correct.
TN really needed a point guard. That was a key missing piece this year as Powell didn’t really pan out as expected (although did come on stronger at the end of the season). Darby cannot handle the ball as point and Walker is out of eligibility. Our two main other guards (Miles and Wynn), while speedy and good defenders, can’t shoot a lick. I think Wells is a great pick up and could start from day 1 depending on what Powell decides to do.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Walker is a senior and has no eligibility left and Darby is not a point guard. So with Walker and Horston both leaving this makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score
Watching this one. Belmont's assistant coach pretty much said a team was actively recruiting players off of his roster. And at the time...the team was one of those in the Sweet 16. Hmmm.
Mighty funny she committed to tennessee literally less than 48 hours later...hmmm something stinks here.

Reaction Score

oh wow another stinky situation here lol....Geno said when a player enters the portal and has a decision within the first 48-72 hours there's obviously some illegal recruiting happening during the season and its becoming more obvious imo.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
oh wow another stinky situation here lol....Geno said when a player enters the portal and has a decision within the first 48-72 hours there's obviously some illegal recruiting happening during the season and its becoming more obvious imo.
Why would it be obvious? Can a player that has entered the portal contact a player on a different team that she is interested in? I mean with the numerous social media apps, wouldn’t it be a way to communicate?
So if player A entered the portal, could she tweet Paige?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1680194208142.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads