2019 #1 Nyah Green to Louisville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 #1 Nyah Green to Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They are genuine and they let their players play,
This sentence looks funny. Which school recruits you not to play?
The sentence is clumsy but I think I know what she means. There is always the ( some times awkward) conversation during the recruiting process where recruit and coaching staff have that conversation about how recruits style of play matches up with what the school likes to do. Kyla Irwin remarked about this right after her visit saying something like I'm paraphrasing "I think they see me as an inside player that is what my strength is". Louisville star/best players have been those that can take people off the dribble (Shomi and Angel) and this kid seems to fit in that mole. My only question is will Jeff be @ Louisville long enough to coach this kid?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good old Jeff. Gets the hooks in nice and early. But that's the world we live in I guess
Since coaches cannot comment on recruits until they sign LOIs you can never know if they have actually offered a scholarship or just sent out a mailing saying we are interested and please consider us when you think about playing in college.

Not so much a comment on you guys, but, in general, most other teams in the country can't afford to wait like Geno usally does. They have to get in early and often if they want to convince a kid to come there. Geno doesn't have to convince: he offers, and they jump on the offer or they generally don't come.

Every recruit is ecstatic just to be noticed and recruited by Geno, regardless if they want to come or not. But it's pretty much only UCONN who has this luxury.

So I can't fault any other program getting on these girls as early as possible.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not so much a comment on you guys, but, in general, most other teams in the country can't afford to wait like Geno usally does. They have to get in early and often if they want to convince a kid to come there. Geno doesn't have to convince: he offers, and they jump on the offer or they generally don't come.

Every recruit is ecstatic just to be noticed and recruited by Geno, regardless if they want to come or not. But it's pretty much only UCONN who has this luxury.

You are right, though I think Walz and Louisville might be at the point where they can wait a little bit. That said, this girl is apparently exceptional and seems to have had her choice of offers, so I can't really fault Louisville.

On second thought, I was probably just finding a way to bash Walz because I don't like him.. Don't know why. It is totally irrational. He just rubs me the wrong way. In some of the stories about Boley, I read about the stuff Walz would text her trying to get her to commit and it was so hokey. I can't believe people buy into it.

But I'm a cynic and one person's hokey bs is another's genuine enthusiasm.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I don't think any coach, Geno included can afford to not show interest early. I just question how that interest may be shown to a freshman, however good she may be. An offer of an offer is as far as you can go since the LOI cannot be signed, and we have certainly in the past had 'misunderstandings of whether that offer of an offer actually exists or is just an expression of a high level of interest. I doubt Jeff, or any other coach banks a 'commitment' from a 15 year old. It is nice but it is also subject to two plus years of reconsideration.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think any coach, Geno included can afford to not show interest early. I just question how that interest may be shown to a freshman, however good she may be. An offer of an offer is as far as you can go since the LOI cannot be signed, and we have certainly in the past had 'misunderstandings of whether that offer of an offer actually exists or is just an expression of a high level of interest. I doubt Jeff, or any other coach banks a 'commitment' from a 15 year old. It is nice but it is also subject to two plus years of reconsideration.
The interest is generally show through any number of intermediaries, which includes HS coach, AAU coach, personal trainers, friends of the family, Ray Ray and them etc. Because there are multiple ways to convey an "offer" there is bound to be misunderstandings.
The best experience I had was with Michigan State and the worst was with a certain dark colored IVY league school.
Letter 1: We saw you play and are including you in our pool of candidates for this position. Please let us know if you are considering MSU.
Letter 2: We will be in attendance at the following tournaments this spring and summer please let us know your AAU team and tournament schedule for the summer.
Letter 3: We have down selected our pool of candidates and would like you to schedule an official visit to our campus during this time period.
Letter 4: We have a commitment from a player at your position and are no longer considering you as a potential MSU recruit. Good luck.
The rules are also heavily one sided and only restricted in one direction-Coach & staff to player. A player can call a coach as often as he/she wants and can visit the campus as many times as the family budget allows. In this case Green visited the Louisville campus- all that takes is a phone call to let the staff know you are coming. If staff is not interested they don't return the call. Once she was on Campus provided it was during a contact period the Louisville staff can pitch (offer) her to their heart's content. They must have done a good job. Chrystin Williams is only a sophomore and UCONN pitched her while she was in Storrs complete with an offer.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
A Texas girl leaving the state. This needs to STOP!!
I realize that you are only kidding here, but if Texas schools are going to put up a big Trump-like wall blocking players from leaving/entering Texas, your present Baylor team would look completely different. Here are the 5 players who have started the majority of your games:

Niya Johnson (Florida)
Alexis Jones (Texas)
Kristy Wallace (Australia)
Nina Davis (Tennessee)
Beatrice Mompremier (Florida)

And two important players on the bench are Alexis Prince (Florida) and Kalani Brown (Louisiana). Clearly traffic goes both ways.

Of course you might have gotten Moriah Jefferson and Brianna Turner (and others) had that hateful wall been erected.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I realize that you are only kidding here, but if Texas schools are going to put up a big Trump-like wall blocking players from leaving/entering Texas, your present Baylor team would look completely different. Here are the 5 players who have started the majority of your games:

Niya Johnson (Florida)
Alexis Jones (Texas)
Kristy Wallace (Australia)
Nina Davis (Tennessee)
Beatrice Mompremier (Florida)

And two important players on the bench as Alexis Prince (Florida) and Kalani Brown (Louisiana). Clearly traffic goes both ways.

Of course you might have gotten Moriah Jefferson and Brianna Turner (and others) had that hateful wall been erected.

Very true. Mulkey has done a great job of recruiting other states. That will change a little next year with all three recruits coming in are Texans. And Mulkey is making a hard push on some of the players in 2017, who are reported to be strong Baylor leans. If Mulkey can get a strong performance in the playoffs this year and next some of these Texas players may be more inclined to stay in state.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Very true. Mulkey has done a great job of recruiting other states. That will change a little next year with all three recruits coming in are Texans. And Mulkey is making a hard push on some of the players in 2017, who are reported to be strong Baylor leans. If Mulkey can get a strong performance in the playoffs this year and next some of these Texas players may be more inclined to stay in state.

Baylor is going to be a really interesting team to track next year. Niya Johnson does graduate (seems like she's been there forever, in part because she's been playing since day one...) but Alexis Jones could slip into the ball handling role she had at Duke, depending on how good Cavleion Landrum is. Chou can join/augment Wallace. And, of course, the Lauren Cox Experience touches down in Waco. I'll be really intrigued to see how the offense will work with her, Niya Johnson, Kalani Brown, etc. If it works, whoa. Any early ideas on your part?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
When a #1 ranked player is recruited so early lots of things can happen. Both decision wise and ratings wise. It might be that by the time she is a senior in HS she isn't ranked number one anymore. There are some late bloomers especially with big girls. However, still another great player for L'Ville if she stays the course.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor is going to be a really interesting team to track next year. Niya Johnson does graduate (seems like she's been there forever, in part because she's been playing since day one...) but Alexis Jones could slip into the ball handling role she had at Duke, depending on how good Cavleion Landrum is. Chou can join/augment Wallace. And, of course, the Lauren Cox Experience touches down in Waco. I'll be really intrigued to see how the offense will work with her, Niya Johnson, Kalani Brown, etc. If it works, whoa. Any early ideas on your part?

Word from those who have seen Landrum play think she is a Mulkey type through and through. However, she is very athletic and can shoot the ball, which many say is Johnson's weakness despite the fact that she is shooting 50% from the field.

I saw Chou play and she is a very impressive player. I think many judged her a bit prematurely based on seeing her play for Team USA. She is a tremendous ball handler, which was the biggest surprise due to her size. Her fundamentals are very good, probably due to her mother, who played pro ball in China, working with her regularly. She seems to have a good balance of being able to shoot the three ball and also shooting the pull-up jumper. She and Wallace are going to be very good together. Her mother seems to have instilled in her the value of working hard and being disciplined.

Cox will have an impact immediately with her ability to face the basket and shoot from distance. I am not sure I should try to list everything that she does that impresses me, but when she is in the game with Brown or Mompremier the high-low post game is going to be a real weapon since Cox can shoot so well. She is just a baller and like early-career Stewart seems to take over when required but doesn't always try to dominate.

Baylor will have to play a different style of offense next season because more people will need to touch the ball because nobody is going to step in and run the team like Johnson does. We will need to have a more UCONN-type offense in which many people get assists, not just from the point guard.

Brown and Mompremier have both made great strides. They still have a lot to learn but if they make that freshman to sophomore leap, watch out. By their senior seasons I can only imagine how dominant they will be. It may be the best post tandem seen in WCBB in quite a while

So, I could have summed it up by saying that I think next year's team is going to be better than the team this year and will challenge for a NC. .

Reaction Score
The sentence is clumsy but I think I know what she means. There is always the ( some times awkward) conversation during the recruiting process where recruit and coaching staff have that conversation about how recruits style of play matches up with what the school likes to do. Kyla Irwin remarked about this right after her visit saying something like I'm paraphrasing "I think they see me as an inside player that is what my strength is". Louisville star/best players have been those that can take people off the dribble (Shomi and Angel) and this kid seems to fit in that mole. My only question is will Jeff be @ Louisville long enough to coach this kid?

What makes you think there are other programs out there that can offer Walz more than he has at Louisville?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Word from those who have seen Landrum play think she is a Mulkey type through and through. However, she is very athletic and can shoot the ball, which many say is Johnson's weakness despite the fact that she is shooting 50% from the field.

I saw Chou play and she is a very impressive player. I think many judged her a bit prematurely based on seeing her play for Team USA. She is a tremendous ball handler, which was the biggest surprise due to her size. Her fundamentals are very good, probably due to her mother, who played pro ball in China, working with her regularly. She seems to have a good balance of being able to shoot the three ball and also shooting the pull-up jumper. She and Wallace are going to be very good together. Her mother seems to have instilled in her the value of working hard and being disciplined.

Cox will have an impact immediately with her ability to face the basket and shoot from distance. I am not sure I should try to list everything that she does that impresses me, but when she is in the game with Brown or Mompremier the high-low post game is going to be a real weapon since Cox can shoot so well. She is just a baller and like early-career Stewart seems to take over when required but doesn't always try to dominate.

Baylor will have to play a different style of offense next season because more people will need to touch the ball because nobody is going to step in and run the team like Johnson does. We will need to have a more UCONN-type offense in which many people get assists, not just from the point guard.

Brown and Mompremier have both made great strides. They still have a lot to learn but if they make that freshman to sophomore leap, watch out. By their senior seasons I can only imagine how dominant they will be. It may be the best post tandem seen in WCBB in quite a while

So, I could have summed it up by saying that I think next year's team is going to be better than the team this year and will challenge for a NC. .

Thanks much for your insights...being based in New Jersey does tend to limit my in-person observances of Texas-based players :) Appreciate the insights. As a Domer fan, I'm not so certain I look forward to seeing what Ms. Cox will do, but might as well get some insights into what these recruits will bring to the WCB landscape and what the Irish and other top-level programs will be encountering.

Reaction Score
Nothing except this :
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...f-walz-shoots-down-tennessee-report/80243962/

" Walz said "that's news to me," adding that Tennessee's athletic department has not directly reached out to him."

His incentives are very lucrative. He supposedly ended up at $1,025,000 this past season and our AD will likely be increasing that heavily after this season. Louisville has no major league sports of any kind and UofL offers the only big time sports show in town, leading to the Cards being one of the richest athletic programs in the country at $120 million plus each year. No one will outbid UofL for Walz and if he can bring 7 McDonald's AAs onto one team at his location, why would he want to leave? I realize you're not saying it is likely, but at UofL, we like to think next to Aurie, our women's basketball coaching position is about as secure as any. Walz loves our fan support, 3rd only behind South Carolina and Tennessee, but probably close to overtaking Tennessee next season.

I don't see there ever being another UConn, but we're sure trying our best at UofL to at least be as respected. We would love to beat UConn just once. Just once. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
His incentives are very lucrative. He supposedly ended up at $1,025,000 this past season and our AD will likely be increasing that heavily after this season. Louisville has no major league sports of any kind and UofL offers the only big time sports show in town, leading to the Cards being one of the richest athletic programs in the country at $120 million plus each year. No one will outbid UofL for Walz and if he can bring 7 McDonald's AAs onto one team at his location, why would he want to leave? I realize you're not saying it is likely, but at UofL, we like to think next to Aurie, our women's basketball coaching position is about as secure as any. Walz loves our fan support, 3rd only behind South Carolina and Tennessee, but probably close to overtaking Tennessee next season.

I don't see there ever being another UConn, but we're sure trying our best at UofL to at least be as respected. We would love to beat UConn just once. Just once. :)
Top Athletic Revenue Producing Schools.
1) Oregon
2) Texas
3)Michigan
14) Tennessee
28) Louisville
* There are 10 schools in the SEC alone that generate more revenue that Louisville.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Top Athletic Revenue Producing Schools.
1) Oregon
2) Texas
3)Michigan
14) Tennessee
28) Louisville
* There are 10 schools in the SEC alone that generate more revenue that Louisville.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Just a small note: that list is only for public schools (which must report their budgets), but that does not affect your argument at all.

But in perusing the list, I saw something that didn't make sense to me. UConn is listed as receiving 38% of the athletic revenue from subsidy. I thought that UConn's athletic department was in the black. Am I missing something in the way this is reported?

And by the way, UConn is 44th and Geno never left for greener pastures, so Louisville might be able to keep Walz. He does do a great job getting butts in the seats.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just a small note: that list is only for public schools (which must report their budgets), but that does not affect your argument at all.

But in perusing the list, I saw something that didn't make sense to me. UConn is listed as receiving 38% of the athletic revenue from subsidy. I thought that UConn's athletic department was in the black. Am I missing something in the way this is reported?

And by the way, UConn is 44th and Geno never left for greener pastures, so Louisville might be able to keep Walz. He does do a great job getting butts in the seats.
I cannot explain the 38% subsidy for UCONN. My point was not if Geno or Walz could or would leave for greener pastures. My point was it takes revenue to create greener pastures and Louisville is not the best equipped to create such. No one is going to spend gobs of money on WCBB. TN has plenty of butts in the seats and a losing team, If spending money on WCBB means retaining those butts in the seat it might not be a bad investment considering that the school has a PR issues already with Female students.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
On second thought, I was probably just finding a way to bash Walz because I don't like him.. Don't know why. It is totally irrational. He just rubs me the wrong way. In some of the stories about Boley, I read about the stuff Walz would text her trying to get her to commit and it was so hokey. I can't believe people buy into it.

But I'm a cynic and one person's hokey bs is another's genuine enthusiasm.

As someone who is friends with a member of Walz's staff, I can tell you that the man is genuine, based on the staff member's working relationship with Walz for the past few years. He cares about his players, he puts in the hours and work to develop them as both players and students, and he treats his staff with a lot of respect.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I cannot explain the 38% subsidy for UCONN. My point was not if Geno or Walz could or would leave for greener pastures. My point was it takes revenue to create greener pastures and Louisville is not the best equipped to create such. No one is going to spend gobs of money on WCBB. TN has plenty of butts in the seats and a losing team, If spending money on WCBB means retaining those butts in the seat it might not be a bad investment considering that the school has a PR issues already with Female students.

More than revenue, it takes desire and support from the administration to promote and finance a non revenue generating women's sport. Louisville has shown the willingness to do this since Waltz has been there, more so than most other Unis in the country. I don't see him leaving.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As someone who is friends with a member of Walz's staff, I can tell you that the man is genuine, based on the staff member's working relationship with Walz for the past few years. He cares about his players, he puts in the hours and work to develop them as both players and students, and he treats his staff with a lot of respect.

Well, it's good to know my irrational dislike is, in fact, irrational. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And why would he want to move to someone else's program!
He 'OWNS' louisville WCBB - it is his program and his legacy and he is making as much as others would offer with the exception of maybe TX in a GG type move, but GG was at the end of her Duke contract, and I doubt Louisville ever lets Jeff get to that point, extending him and compensating him equal to his peers (and he has only a few of those.)

Reaction Score
Been a member for awhile, just don't post much. In regards to Green, if you're interested there was a Q & A with her dad in the Louisville paper. I'll basically hit the high point. He said she got her first offer as a 6th grader (didn't say from who), they had made a couple of other trips on their own dime to Louisville, including last year and then this past weekend, said she wanted to commit last year but he told her to wait and if she felt the same a year later then go ahead and commit.

Excited to see her commitment. I'll be even more excited if it sticks and she is here in 2020. I know there are some who verbal and then later switch (2 did it to us a couple of years ago) but I think for the most part the women tend to stick with their commitments more than the men.

Speaking of Russell, I know she's been hurt a lot but doesn't seemed to have lived up to her billing. Had she come to U of L. . . who knows.

Also, I'm on the Vol Nation forum and if you guys haven't been over there for a while it makes for an interesting read. I met Coach Warlick one time when she was recruiting Erin Boley (I do the PA for the high school Erin attends) and really enjoyed talking with her. Right now it's about 9 to 1 against Coach Warlick and getting pretty nasty. There was a topic over there about who might be the next coach and Jeff's name was mentioned. I told them I didn't think that would happen.

JordyG, not trying to start anything but I kind of wonder if you were talking about Green when you made the statement about "how much over tuition will she be getting". I hope that was couched in the vein of actual cost of attendance and not implying that she or her family is getting something "under the table". With the program Jeff is building at U of L, that kind of stuff isn't happening. Now, if you're talking about money for players, that's the blue school 60 miles east of Louisville.

Good luck in the tournament. This year it's UConn's to lose. Oh, since we didn't have any Seniors this year we held a Senior night celebration celebrating the fact that Brianna Stewart is finally a Senior and graduating. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Been a member for awhile, just don't post much. In regards to Green, if you're interested there was a Q & A with her dad in the Louisville paper. I'll basically hit the high point. He said she got her first offer as a 6th grader (didn't say from who), they had made a couple of other trips on their own dime to Louisville, including last year and then this past weekend, said she wanted to commit last year but he told her to wait and if she felt the same a year later then go ahead and commit.

Excited to see her commitment. I'll be even more excited if it sticks and she is here in 2020. I know there are some who verbal and then later switch (2 did it to us a couple of years ago) but I think for the most part the women tend to stick with their commitments more than the men.

Speaking of Russell, I know she's been hurt a lot but doesn't seemed to have lived up to her billing. Had she come to U of L. . . who knows.

Also, I'm on the Vol Nation forum and if you guys haven't been over there for a while it makes for an interesting read. I met Coach Warlick one time when she was recruiting Erin Boley (I do the PA for the high school Erin attends) and really enjoyed talking with her. Right now it's about 9 to 1 against Coach Warlick and getting pretty nasty. There was a topic over there about who might be the next coach and Jeff's name was mentioned. I told them I didn't think that would happen.

JordyG, not trying to start anything but I kind of wonder if you were talking about Green when you made the statement about "how much over tuition will she be getting". I hope that was couched in the vein of actual cost of attendance and not implying that she or her family is getting something "under the table". With the program Jeff is building at U of L, that kind of stuff isn't happening. Now, if you're talking about money for players, that's the blue school 60 miles east of Louisville.

Good luck in the tournament. This year it's UConn's to lose. Oh, since we didn't have any Seniors this year we held a Senior night celebration celebrating the fact that Brianna Stewart is finally a Senior and graduating. :)
Thanks for posting. I think Boley is going to be a good one. If Green actually stays with her commitment Cards will see her in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom