2016 #1 DRAFT PICK: B.STEWART OR J. LLOYD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016 #1 DRAFT PICK: B.STEWART OR J. LLOYD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't even had the 2015 draft yet.... kinda early to project the 2016 draft.

Reaction Score
OTE="xHunt3r, post: 1199556, member: 3874"]Haven't even had the 2015 draft yet.... kinda early to project the 2016 draft.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with having a little fun speculating. And this 2015 draft class dont impress. After KML & WILLIAMS...doesn't look to appealing

Reaction Score
1. Notre Dame's defense wasn't great in 2013, 2014, and they aren't a great defensive team this year. What about their defense is great in your opinion? Also, not sure what you're saying in the last part of this one.

2. If you're only willing to look at Loyd's body of work in the NCAA Tournament, you will see that Loyd has played very well in non-UCONN "money games." She had 17 points against Duke in the regional final in 2013, 30 against Baylor in last year's regional final, and had 16 in their Final Four romp of Maryland.

And Notre Dame was not a huge underdog at all going into the Connecticut game. UCONN was ranked lower in the polls and there were ample questions about how good UCONN was this season after their loss at Stanford. People on this board were even picking Notre Dame to win the game, and I don't think I've seen so many people pick a team to beat UCONN on the BY since pre-Maya Moore days.

3. As I said previously, how you perform against Connecticut is not an indication of how well you'll perform at the next level. Chiney Ogwumike was outstanding as a rookie and I don't think she ever had a stand out game against Connecticut in 5 tries. Odyssey Sims shot 4-25 against UCONN last season and had a great rookie year. And even with that said, Loyd scored 31 points against UCONN this season which is more than McBride, Griner, Diggins, Parker, Sims, etc. ever scored in one game against UCONN.

4. I think you're a little too preoccupied on the UCONN-Notre Dame head to head matchups in the NCAAs. As I pointed out earlier in this post, Loyd has been pretty darn good in other "money games." Stewart has outplayed her head to head in the Final Four. I'm not arguing that, nor did I try to discredit Stewart's outstanding game in 2013 against ND.

5. I don't know why you're hung up on the two Final Four games against Connecticut where she struggled. Almost everybody struggles against Connecticut. Her first year she was the fourth option offensively. Last year she was playing without Achonwa so UCONN was able to smother her and McBride defensively. McBride was able to hit a few more shots than Loyd, but I don't think Loyd's poor showing the title game warrants a label of crumbling in big games.

1--- I don't agree that ND's defense wasn't great. No way a one-dimensional team could have beaten UCONN 3 times that year without having a great defense. And if you are going to count the Maryland game giving Loyd props you also have to give props to ND's frontline. You can't give one props for the MD game and then all of a sudden discount what Stewie did. I don't count much what Stewie did vs ND 2nd time though.

2-- I'm only looking at the UConn games because those are the games which she will compete against at the professional level in a relative manner.

3-- Ogwumike 15 pts and 10 rebounds and 4 assists shooting 5-12 from the floor - 4-6 from the line - not great I agree. But decent. Yet we know who was chosen for the USA team - Ogwumike vs Stewie. Anyhw Ogwumkie's pro stats simailr to the UCONN NCAA game. Keep in mind I'm not saying Ogwumike or Loyd stinks. I've said Loyd would be the 2nd pick as of now. That ain't too shabby. Loyd may very well get NPOY this year. Alana Beard also beat out DT for NPOY with more gaudy stats. Are you trying to say if they meet two more times in NCAA's (a strong possibility) that a great player like Loyd it is acceptable that not ONCE she has a productive game?

4--- I think you are getting way too defensive. I never said Loyd stinks. I never said Ogwumiek stinks. I was clear "as of this moment" I want to see loyd be productive in a money game vs UCONN just like her teammate McBride was. There are two more years left and she certainly can be productive. All I'm saying is I want to see it. I'm probably misreading you too- but for example what you are coming at me with is Maryland as an example? SO Loyd plays well vs Md (and so did ND's frontline) and she gets an "atta boy." Stewie then plays the same team that wiped off Maryland and yet you seem to discount Stewie's performance. I know I'm probably misreading you in some manner. You're an excellent poster. I emphasize excellent. But the fact you bring up Md in this circumstance and Mich State in another - I've discounted these teams when evaluating a 1st pick. If you disagree why come at me 2nd time in your reply? And if you are going to count MD - I have no idea why you diminished Stewie's performance vs ND.

5-- I'm hung up on that because that is the type of talent she is going to face when she goes pro in terms of size and athlecismsm all around her. A player like Ogwumike in NCAA's which you identified to me- she had about the same freshman year in WNBA that she had last year in the NCAA's vs UCONN. And Kayla McBride she took a lot of 3's in WNBA - played great in playoffs - I'l bet if you looked at her efg% comparing UCONN game vs her WNBA caeer they were somewhat compatible. In addition you say UCONN was able to smother McBride - okay in some manner yes- in another - I thought McBride was productive 8-18 fromt the floor (.444) - UCONN was just 34-73 from the floor at .465. I call McBride's game productive. McBride had a productive WNBA season. If it was "great" then compare that to her game vs UCOON in finals. How much did they differ?

Reaction Score
Also bballnut- just curious as to your thoughts- who is the greater pro-- Maya Moore or Angel? Angle certainly had more gaudy stats and she was overwhelmed by UCONN's overall talent. Who would you pick if they came out the same year?

Reaction Score
Struggled might not be the right word, but she didn't earn playing time to prove she is capable of playing at that level. She is in a rare group of collegiates to play in the Olympics or in World Championships. In the last 20 years the only other collegiate players to play in World Championships or the Olympics are Parker (who had arguably the best tournament of any American in 2006), Moore who was a major contributor in 2010, and Holdsclaw who was a major contributor in 1998.

Were any of these player's sophomore's in college entering their jr year? how about Sims too? Did she struggle?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stewart (and this according to many GM's) would have been the 1st pick last year (2014), would be the first pick this year (2015) and will be (barring injury) the first pick in 2016.

This is pretty simple, let's not try and make it complicated.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The WNBA DRAFT is shaping up to be one hard decision next year. Especially if Tuck joins the group (Which I Hope Not).

I am sure most uconn fans would vote Stewart due to her all around game and upside - height - skill set ect. So would I. But the way JL has been performing of late (Giving The Fact She & Stewart Have Another Year Remaining & will improve)...the decision who to draft 1st will not be a clear cut decison even with (Team Need) taking center stage.

Both can shoot the ball and slash to the basket. Both are major scorers & each has their own intangibles etc. However, it will still be interesting next year to see which athlete goes number 1 in the 2016 WNBA draft.

The media before the beginning of the WCBB season has been praising & anointing Stewart. And rightfully so giving all what she has done (championships etc.) Yet one can't help notice that JL will make the 2016 WNBA DRAFT very interesting to see.
I think some people make up these threads just because they have nothing better to do. Breanna Stewart would have been the 1st pick in the WNBA Draft the past 2 years and she'll be the # 1 Pick when she comes out. You might even see a couple of WNBA Teams 'Tank' the season to get her. She's a franchise changing talent and clearly the best player in WCBB. UConn Freshman Gabby Williams has superior athletic ability to Jewell Loyd and her BB skill level is superior at similar points in their careers. Outside of the Jewlly-oop and occasional hot shooting night, which many players are capable of having what does Loyd bring to the table? Loyd had a career game against UConn this year and they still lost by 18 and her performance in last year's NC Game was abysmal? This isn't a question that merits serious consideration.

Reaction Score
Loyd should go into the WNBA this year. She can get her degree later. She needs to get PAID ASAP!

Wishful thinking? Given the low salary of the WNBA I think with her scholarship she is getting paid more at ND.

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking? Given the low salary of the WNBA I think with her scholarship she is getting paid more at ND.

She is not eligible any way... needs to meet one of the following:

• Is at least 22 years old during the calendar year of the applicable season
  • Has completed her intercollegiate basketball eligibility
  • Has graduated from a four-year college or university
  • Or has played at least two seasons for another professional basketball league

Reaction Score
She will be the first player with 5 NC's. That is a good incentive for her to stay.

Is it good enough? Athletes have a limited amount of time they can earn money playing sports. Why use up another year of wear and tear on your body, instead of going out and earn $$ while you can.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She is not eligible any way... needs to meet one of the following:

• Is at least 22 years old during the calendar year of the applicable season
  • Has completed her intercollegiate basketball eligibility
  • Has graduated from a four-year college or university
  • Or has played at least two seasons for another professional basketball league

She turns 22 in October, so she does meet the first one, but I would be shocked if she left early. This is not like NFL, NBA, or MLB where the first contract can set you up for life. The degree is valuable insurance against major injury.

Reaction Score
She turns 22 in October, so she does meet the first one, but I would be shocked if she left early. This is not like NFL, NBA, or MLB where the first contract can set you up for life. The degree is valuable insurance against major injury.
She obviously wants to be a pro basketball player and can get the degree as she plays professionally. She's an exciting player and the league could use another player like her.

The WNBA needs to expand a couple of teams and add more playoff games. There are no bad teams in the WNBA ( like the Philly 76ers etc) but just a few that can't quite make the grade to get into the playoffs.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She started college a year late? Didn't know that...

Not really...she'll turn 22 in the fall of her senior year. That's normal. It's just that the September-December birthday's do it a calendar year earlier as opposed to January through August birthdays.

Reaction Score
The WNBA needs to expand a couple of teams and add more playoff games. There are no bad teams in the WNBA ( like the Philly 76ers etc) but just a few that can't quite make the grade to get into the playoffs.
Getting a little off-topic here, but I disagree. The WNBA has undergone contraction because the talent pool isn't big enough to support more good teams. IMO many if not most of the WNBA teams are "bad teams." Some playoff teams last year had sub-.500 records, and the winners of those series were foregone conclusions - not interesting basketball. IMO the last thing the WNBA needs is further dilution of the talent base, expansion into markets that have already shown they won't support WBB, and a larger number of predictable playoff games featuring bad teams.

Reaction Score
1. Stewie
2. JL
3. Mo
4. Alexis jones (pre injury form)
5. Morgan Tuck
6. Courtney Williams
7. Tiffany Mitchell
8. Xylina Mcdaniel (pre injury form)
9. Basharra Graves
10. Courtney Walker.
My top 10

Reaction Score
I think some people make up these threads just because they have nothing better to do. Breanna Stewart would have been the 1st pick in the WNBA Draft the past 2 years and she'll be the # 1 Pick when she comes out. You might even see a couple of WNBA Teams 'Tank' the season to get her. She's a franchise changing talent and clearly the best player in WCBB. UConn Freshman Gabby Williams has superior athletic ability to Jewell Loyd and her BB skill level is superior at similar points in their careers. Outside of the Jewlly-oop and occasional hot shooting night, which many players are capable of having what does Loyd bring to the table? Loyd had a career game against UConn this year and they still lost by 18 and her performance in last year's NC Game was abysmal? This isn't a question that merits serious consideration.
I agree with what you're trying to say, but lets not be disrespectful to a great talent in Loyd. Loyd has a great one on one game that deems "special" in womens basketball. Outside of Uconn there is no team that will make her work extremely hard for every basket. I haven't seen Gabby play extended minutes, but fairness to her I've only seen Uconn vs Notre dame, Stanford, and Duke. I'll get the chance to watch her against SC I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Getting a little off-topic here, but I disagree. The WNBA has undergone contraction because the talent pool isn't big enough to support more good teams. IMO many if not most of the WNBA teams are "bad teams." Some playoff teams last year had sub-.500 records, and the winners of those series were foregone conclusions - not interesting basketball. IMO the last thing the WNBA needs is further dilution of the talent base, expansion into markets that have already shown they won't support WBB, and a larger number of predictable playoff games featuring bad teams.
Except for the Mercury and the Lynx the rest were competitive with each other and I enjoyed watching most of the games especially the ones I attended in person. How many games did you actually go see up close and personal? A bit different than watching on tv and possibly being distracted by other programs. IMO

The league does need more teams as college players/coaches/programs get better each year. The playoffs would be more interesting with longer playoff series.

Reaction Score
Regarding the OP's question- let's just say that there wouldn't be a real loser if you picked either one.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I agree with what you're trying to say, but lets not be disrespectful to a great talent in Loyd. Loyd has a great one on one game that deems "special" in womens basketball. Outside of Uconn there is no team that will make her work extremely hard for every basket. I haven't seen Gabby play extended minutes, but fairness to her I've only seen Uconn vs Notre dame, Stanford, and Duke. I'll get the chance to watch her against SC I'm sure.
BD~

I'm not being disrespectful at all and I don't discount the the immense athletic ability of JL. What does she do well? She's played the Guard position for 3 seasons @ ND, she doesn't have exceptional ball-handking skills, she's not a great or even good passer, she isn't an exceptional shooter, she isn't a great one-on-one defender as Bria Hartley proved, she isn't a a great rebounder for her size. She's a great athlete who can run and jump and she plays at ND. I don't know what you're definition of special is, but here are a few examples; Odyssey Sims, Kayla McBride, Danielle Robinson, Lili Thompson, Kelsey Mitchell are all examples of special one-on-one talent. I'm sure I missed some but JL isn't in that class. If you watch Gabby Williams you'll see what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
Except for the Mercury and the Lynx the rest were competitive with each other and I enjoyed watching most of the games especially the ones I attended in person. How many games did you actually go see up close and personal? A bit different than watching on tv and possibly being distracted by other programs. IMO

The league does need more teams as college players/coaches/programs get better each year. The playoffs would be more interesting with longer playoff series.
I went to 3 last year. All involved the Mercury - 2 playoff games vs the Lynx and one regular season game vs San Antonio. San Antonio had no chance to win, before, during or after. I only went to that game because a friend won a luxury box for the night and invited me. The two Lynx playoff games were great, especially with the "UCONN's best player ever vs UCONN's other best player ever" aspect. I try to get to a couple Mercury games every year. It's sad, but when I don't get in for free (they have many "dump the extra tickets" promos) I can always buy good seats on the street outside the arena for below face value. And this is a good team.

Reaction Score
BD~

I'm not being disrespectful at all and I don't discount the the immense athletic ability of JL. What does she do well? She's played the Guard position for 3 seasons @ ND, she doesn't have exceptional ball-handking skills, she's not a great or even good passer, she isn't an exceptional shooter, she isn't a great one-on-one defender as Bria Hartley proved, she isn't a a great rebounder for her size. She's a great athlete who can run and jump and she plays at ND. I don't know what you're definition of special is, but here are a few examples; Odyssey Sims, Kayla McBride, Danielle Robinson, Lili Thompson, Kelsey Mitchell are all examples of special one-on-one talent. I'm sure I missed some but JL isn't in that class. If you watch Gabby Williams you'll see what I'm talking about.

Dude your response regarding Jewell makes no sense at all. Sounds very disrespectful to me like your introduction earlier.

I am a Uconn women fan first & foremost. But even I respect JL's game. Whatever your alleging she is not good at I don't see it. She is a great shooter. And when she's hot she is hot. Runs the floor well. Has balance even in mid air. Pushes the ball well up court. A slasher to the hoop. She play's her game not someone else's. Give credit to where credit is due. She is a talented athletic player. She is not a point guard so she don't have to have masterful handle. Just enough to do what she needs to accomplish.

With that said...Yes I would take Stewart at # 1...JL will definitely go at # 2. As one poster said earlier. Stew shows up at in the big games when it counts the most.

I am sure Jewell will figure it out in big games as well. This is a new year. However, Uconn will always play her tough. Geno enjoys taking out your best player. And if he can't do that he will make sure that you don't get any help from your supporting cast.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jewell is spectacular in an athletic way. Stewie is spectacular in a different way. I look back at the 1984 NBA draft. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest pro ever, was only the #3 pick. Why? The guys picked before him were 7' tall. Sam Bowie, the #2 pick, suffered leg and foot injuries and had a limited career. The #1 pick was Hakeem Olajuwon, who is a HOFer and probably in the top 10-15 pros all time. Size matters.

Reaction Score
Stewert easily.

However, if Loyd leads ND to a championship this year and next over a Stewert led team...that may make it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom