2016 #1 DRAFT PICK: B.STEWART OR J. LLOYD | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2016 #1 DRAFT PICK: B.STEWART OR J. LLOYD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Am I correct in believing there are more than one Courtney Williams with a high profile in wcbb?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Am I correct in believing there are more than one Courtney Williams with a high profile in wcbb?

I was thinking of the Texas A&M one. USF also has a Courtney Williams. Compared to the USF Courtney Williams, Loyd also has a higher field goal percentage, higher career 3FG% (but lower this year), and better A/TO ratio, so it doesn't really change my comments.

Reaction Score
I was thinking of the Texas A&M one. USF also has a Courtney Williams. Compared to the USF Courtney Williams, Loyd also has a higher field goal percentage, higher career 3FG% (but lower this year), and better A/TO ratio, so it doesn't really change my comments.
I was talking about the USF Courtney Williams. She plays on a less talented/with freshman team than JL. Most of the scoring load is on her every game. JL now has Turner to take some pressure off her.
I saw CW play Maryland and she drove a lot with 2 or 3 of the MD frontline on her every time. She had layups rolling around the rim most times but they didn't go in. I suspect a lot of her games are like that.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
This ND fan humbly disagrees. I think Loyd is better than McBride. And McBride is from my hometown and the reason I started following ND.

By the way, Loyd's career fg and 3fg% is much better than Williams'. Williams' 3FG % is much better this year but it's only on 17 attempts, and Loyd's overall fg% is better this year (47.7% to 43.3%). Loyd is also a much better free throw shooter. Career 81.9% vs. 65.7%

As to the ball-handling, Loyd has a 1.5 assist/turnover ratio. Williams is at 0.9 A/TO.
A/TO Ratio isn't an indicator of one's ability to handle the BB, shooting %'s are applicable especially when you look at shot selection. JL has been in here career an excellent FT shooter. I never said she's bereft of talent. I said the premise of this thread is meritless. The play of ND this season show's the true worth of KMac, so I'll maintain my opinion on that.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The play of ND this season show's the true worth of KMac, so I'll maintain my opinion on that.

I don't disagree with that, but I think it reflects how much better McBride is than Mabrey rather than anything about Loyd.

Reaction Score
McBride and Achonwa were like Dolson and Hartley last year. They both anchored their teams in much the same manner. It's too bad we couldn't see what would've happened if Achonwa hadn't gotten injured.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
McBride and Achonwa were like Dolson and Hartley last year. They both anchored their teams in much the same manner. It's too bad we couldn't see what would've happened if Achonwa hadn't gotten injured.

It is too bad, though for the record (and to forestall this discussion from happening for the nth time), I think UConn would have still won comfortably. But it would have been fun to watch one last round between Dolson and Achonwa. I actually think ND misses Achonwa more, even though McBride is a better player. Her leadership and toughness in the post have been sorely missed.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem with Stewie is that she isn't hitting shots that we expect her to hit. Of course her defense and rebounding can improve but that is masked by her length. Larry Bird had defensive issues too. SO did Magic. Anyway, when Stewie blocks a shot at one end and then runs the floor and either converts on a fastbreak or gets an offensive rebound then converts at the other it looks like a "ho-hum" play at the other. But when a guard steals the ball and similar action happens - it is much more exciting.

I agree about Loyd as a great player which is why she is number 2 at this moment. But on the flip side if she goes 6-20 in a possible matchup again with UCONN - if I'm a GM - I'm aksing "why?" It's more than just the name on the UCONN jersey. WHat is it specifically that UCONN is doing? Why was McBride while Loyd can't. . . etc. WHy is Loyd just a 31.5 3pt shooter while Stewart is shooting better than her from 3 despite Stewart having an off-shooting year but got hot again just like she usaally does? The GM is goingt o lok at the failures of loyd too.
The last game Stewie blocked a 3 pt shot, and took it the other way for 2 points. She can change games on both ends of the floor, so you as a GM take Stewie, and all Stewie's best years are ahead of her.

Reaction Score
In perspective to the post...I love Stewart as a player and all that she brings to the game. Especially her upside. She's only going to get better.

Loyd is a special talent in her own right as well. If I am GM. I definately considering the need of the team. I don't want to draft just the best player of the draft. But the best player that soots what we as a team needs to get to the next level to inhance the value & competitiveness of the team.

Has geno gone after every number (1) recruit? I don't know personally. Maybe he has. But have there ever been a time he did not want a number one recruit and sought otherwise regarding the teams need?

I understand also that the college game differs from the WNBA when it comes to #1 players.

In the WNBA sometimes the #1 pick is drafted and traded for two good players on another team or multiple draft picks.

In addition If a team desperately needs a guard of jewell's caliber would they draft Stewart instead anyway?

Well yes it's not 2016 yet. Many months away to tell. And yes i know a team can trade for a decent gaurd withing the league and still retain Stewart. Who is to darn good and appealing to pass up on. I'm just thinking outside the box thats all.

Reaction Score

I said the same thing to myself. Though I still had uconn beating ND by 10 with Achonwa. I hate to see any team lose a player to injuries. ND wasn't at full strength without Achonwa..And uconn lost a good one in tuck (who would have probably reach the potential she's at this year last year) if not for her surgery.

The difference between those two absentees from their respective team was that Uconn was still great & faired better than ND without Achonwa.

Reaction Score
Loyd is a special talent in her own right as well. If I am GM. I definately considering the need of the team. I don't want to draft just the best player of the draft. But the best player that soots what we as a team needs to get to the next level to inhance the value & competitiveness of the team.

In addition If a team desperately needs a guard of jewell's caliber would they draft Stewart instead anyway?

Well yes it's not 2016 yet. Many months away to tell. And yes I know a team can trade for a decent guard within the league and still retain Stewart. Who is to darn good and appealing to pass up on. I'm just thinking outside the box that's all.

I enjoy these type of discussions. As for right now I think the obvious pick is Stewie. Here is why- when you are best of the best you fit. You make everyone better. The most important team need when you are speaking of the number 1 pick is being fortunate enough to get an all-time great. IMO you don't worry about the next year or two- you want to build around the all-time great. Stewie has shown the last two years when she competed against the best of the best in the most important games- she was tremendous. These type of games gives us glimpses of the future. IMO they are more important that a reg season game.

While Loyd is great and could become greater- fact is she stunk on the biggest stage vs UCONN - and she stunk the biggest stage. Her exploits vs MD and her reg season exploits are nice but you play for championships when you are Stewie and Loyd. Until such time when Loyd has "a game" vs NCAA's there is no reason to gamble on her vs Stewie. We've seen it all before with Alana Beard vs DT their sr year haven't we? Beard took down DT at UCONN. Beard was NPOY. What did we SEE in the NCAA that was a glimpse of what happened in the future?

I'd like to ask you a question - if you know the NBA. If you don't know the NBA then this scenario/question will be irrelevant.
Say Kobe Bryant is young and his team stinks and they have the 1st pick. His team has a chance to take great pg Chris Paul or sg Michael Jordan. Who do you take?

I'd take Jordan.

Reaction Score
I enjoy these type of discussions. As for right now I think the obvious pick is Stewie. Here is why- when you are best of the best you fit. You make everyone better. The most important team need when you are speaking of the number 1 pick is being fortunate enough to get an all-time great. IMO you don't worry about the next year or two- you want to build around the all-time great. Stewie has shown the last two years when she competed against the best of the best in the most important games- she was tremendous. These type of games gives us glimpses of the future. IMO they are more important that a reg season game.

While Loyd is great and could become greater- fact is she stunk on the biggest stage vs UCONN - and she stunk the biggest stage. Her exploits vs MD and her reg season exploits are nice but you play for championships when you are Stewie and Loyd. Until such time when Loyd has "a game" vs NCAA's there is no reason to gamble on her vs Stewie. We've seen it all before with Alana Beard vs DT their sr year haven't we? Beard took down DT at UCONN. Beard was NPOY. What did we SEE in the NCAA that was a glimpse of what happened in the future?

I'd like to ask you a question - if you know the NBA. If you don't know the NBA then this scenario/question will be irrelevant.
Say Kobe Bryant is young and his team stinks and they have the 1st pick. His team has a chance to take great pg Chris Paul or sg Michael Jordan. Who do you take?

I'd take Jordan.

I am 100% right there with you taking Jordan without any hesitation. Your post is well stated. I put my hands over my mouth. And will proceed no further.

Reaction Score
I said the same thing to myself. Though I still had uconn beating ND by 10 with Achonwa. I hate to see any team lose a player to injuries. ND wasn't at full strength without Achonwa..And uconn lost a good one in tuck (who would have probably reach the potential she's at this year last year) if not for her surgery.

The difference between those two absentees from their respective team was that Uconn was still great & faired better than ND without Achonwa.
Ah...but what if Dolson was unable to play that NC game and Achonwa was OK?

The game would've been up in the air. IMO

Reaction Score
Ah...but what if Dolson was unable to play that NC game and Achonwa was OK?

The game would've been up in the air. IMO

Made my hairs stand up saying that.....I am so glad that was never the case. And your right it definitely would have been a toss up. Every Uconn fan would have clipped their own nails with their teeth.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Getting a little off-topic here, but I disagree. The WNBA has undergone contraction because the talent pool isn't big enough to support more good teams. IMO many if not most of the WNBA teams are "bad teams." Some playoff teams last year had sub-.500 records, and the winners of those series were foregone conclusions - not interesting basketball. IMO the last thing the WNBA needs is further dilution of the talent base, expansion into markets that have already shown they won't support WBB, and a larger number of predictable playoff games featuring bad teams.
This is completely wrong. The WNBA has undergone contraction because the MARKET is not big enough -- not enough cities can support a team economically. The talent pool has nothing to do with it. They could have half a dozen more teams with no diminution in the quality of play if the markets were there to support them.

Reaction Score
This is completely wrong. The WNBA has undergone contraction because the MARKET is not big enough -- not enough cities can support a team economically. The talent pool has nothing to do with it. They could have half a dozen more teams with no diminution in the quality of play if the markets were there to support them.
Semantics IMO. The "market" is usually bigger for a better product

Reaction Score
The loss of Achonwa was overhyped. Just look at how she played the year before in the semi. She got punked by Stewie and Dolson. She wasn't tough enough inside. Maybe a 5 point difference.

Reaction Score
Well since Chiney Ogumike is out for the season the CT Sun might win the draft lottery again. And I'd tell them to pick Stewie all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom