2015 final 4 -- what teams? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2015 final 4 -- what teams?

Besides UConn, which teams will be in the final 4?

• Notre Dame

Votes: 105 77.8%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 118 87.4%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • Texas A&M

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Texas

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 56 41.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one is saying that Diamond isn't a great player with a lot of talent, but she is also a me player interested more in her own stats then the team. She also doesn't like to be told what to do. It will be interesting to see what is going to happen the first time the first time the Tennessee coaches say no to her. Maybe I'm wrong and she will buy into the team concept. If that happens Tennessee will be a final four team.
But Diamond cannot play until 2015-2016.....

Reaction Score
Or she could destroy her teammates chemistry and keep Tennessee from reaching the final four while she's there.

No one is saying that Diamond isn't a great player with a lot of talent, but she is also a me player interested more in her own stats then the team. She also doesn't like to be told what to do. It will be interesting to see what is going to happen the first time the first time the Tennessee coaches say no to her. Maybe I'm wrong and she will buy into the team concept. If that happens Tennessee will be a final four team.

Internet is sometimes too hard to interpret others posts and intentions sometimes. When you say “No one is saying that Diamond isn't a great player,” yet you also say“she could destroy her team chemistry” and she is “also a me player interested more in her own stats then the team” and “she also doesn't like to be told what to do.”

For me- when I look at a young college player and if she has the characteristics in bold you describe- my definition would be she is not a great player. I think she is-- so I can’t agree with your assessment which is why I said on your first post above “I doubt it.”

IMO Tenn is a near lock (we will be a lock) for final four her 1st year with Tenn. She is too good. So I don’t have any doubts she’ll make team overall beter thus no chance to destroy whatever chemistry they have had.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
But no one will have Steff's grin or smile she showed playing for Geno can be great fun..

True, but Kiah's smile isn't shabby, either!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I am going out on a limb.. but I think the Final Four teams in 2015 will be the four teams that win their regionals in the elite 8.

Gotta give you a like due to your courageous vote, and because it rounds up your like total to 400! :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kiah... will she get in foul trouble going for those rebounds and block shot, Dolson had a charming relationship with the refs. Will Stokes get the same respect? more time could equal more fouls too

Reaction Score
genosguy- - -SOME STATISTICIAN should do a chart showing the Illegal screen calls against Dolson and Uconn vs Kentuck, Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, I could go on and on. Point is I saw lots of leaning in on picks by many teams--syracuse was the worst--ND/Stanford not far behind. Dolson did some, no doubt not as many as were called. Hartley hardly ever dribbled that she wasn't already moving first--bad rule anyway. The behind the back dribble cannot be accomplished without "carrying" the ball (no calls).

99.5% of all screens are illegal! Everyone moves as they screen and the rule says you must be STILL while setting the screen! The refs wouldn't know a good screen if they ran into it! It stinks that with so many illegal screens why refs choose certain times to call it! Several years ago Stef got called for an illegal screen by Dennis DeMayo vs ND (I think BEast finals) with 1 minute left in the tie game, the first illegal screen called ALL GAME! ND won! Why when no screens were called all game do you pick then to call the first one?
WCBB & WNBA refs are the worst refs in any sport in the world!

Reaction Score
The being scared stuff is bogus. Were they? Absolutely. Why? Who the heck knows. Very frustrating. It's been a tough six years with everything that has happened and this is the first season that I can honestly say I have more hopes than worries. So to me, for myself, that helps me believe that regardless of past failures, this years team is one of the best teams in the country and should (no excuses) be a final four team. Diamond will help by way of practice and she is very vocal... I think her persona is very misunderstood. But yes, I do understand she won't play this year. I think we add a lot more than what we lose and possibly get Ariel back to pre-injury form (she was having a great year). Jannah and Jaime will play big roles IMO and all 4 newcomers are perimeter threats with Jannah, Alexa, and Kortney being the most consistent (Jaime was a high 20's percentage wise from deep her senior year). We had zero consistent perimeter shooters after Ariel went down.

Jordan Reynolds could end up being the biggest key to our success this year. She is very talented and her confidence and on court demeanor is exactly what we need.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some recent quotes from Holly:

"I think our team needs to have a little bit more togetherness,"
"We have to have a little bit more discipline, a little bit more toughness"
"We were tough at times, but not all the time"
"I thought at times when our back got against the wall, we folded a little bit"
"It's almost like we peaked at the SEC tournament."
"We've got to learn how to compete at the highest level when the game's on the line and you lose, you're out."

That's coaching, which I think Holly understands. She's still maturing as a head coach.

Holly is amassing a lot of talent at Tennessee even though some of the current pieces don't always fit well together offensively. It'll be interesting to see how Holly uses the talent and whether she's able to spread the floor and create the type of match-up problems that make teams tough to defend.

Reaction Score
So far TN has talent but all the best Div. I teams have talent! They need coaching! The way they played ball under Holly W., it's like 12 players show up at game-time, play a little"ball" then head out after the game! I don't get a sense that TN is a TEAM! There's no cohesion, no organization and that comes from the coaches and TN doesn't have any! And as talented as DD is she is going to be more problems than solution. She went to NoCar because Sylvia Hatchell told her she wouldn't interfere with DD's style of play! Is Holly going to agree to do the same thing? And if not does DD pout?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
The big difference is that there is no Stokes/Dolson combo, either as a pair or successively in a game. Foul trouble or performance issues will be far more magnified, at least in the middle. UConn will likely have to add wrinkles to their game to make up the difference. Chong becoming a consistent playmaker would be a big help.

Haven't got to the bottom of the thread yet, so I'm sure this is a duplicate answer -- as I pointer out above, Stewie had better assist numbers last year (except for a few less in total) than Steph. There need be no fall-off in the high/low game at all, and I don't think there will be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Haven't got to the bottom of the thread yet, so I'm sure this is a duplicate answer -- as I pointer out above, Stewie had better assist numbers last year (except for a few less in total) than Steph. There need be no fall-off in the high/low game at all, and I don't think there will be.

I'm not sure how Stewart makes up the difference. You're talking Stewart and Dolson versus just Stewart. Stokes is very talented but she isn't the facilitator that Dolson was, she's not the screener Dolson was, and she's not the shooter Dolson was. I think the offense is going to have to be run a bit differently. You're also replacing Hartley's outside shooting which was prolific the last 2-3 months of the season. This is where having a healthy Tuck would be huge but that's completely up in the air.

Reaction Score
Agree, but only if Morgan comes back.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
She went to NoCar because Sylvia Hatchell told her she wouldn't interfere with DD's style of play! Is Holly going to agree to do the same thing? And if not does DD pout?

You incorrectly assume that Hatchell was her primary recruiter or the primary reason she went to North Carolina. She was not - Trisha Stafford-Odom was. Once Stafford-Odom left for Concordia, it was speculated in inner circles that DeShields was going to transfer.

Reaction Score
CamrnCrz1974- - - If Trisha Stafford-Odom was DD main recruiter from NoCar, she certainly didn't promise anything that head coach Sylvia Hatchell didn't sign off on! So if DD was told no-one would interfere with her style of play no matter who left or was still there at NoCar, DD was given a golden handshake and most likely when she was going to be reigned in she bolted for greener pastures! The question is still out there, when/if someone at TN tells DD how to play TN BB will she seek even greener pastures? Admittedly a GREAT talent but the jury is still out on who's team she's on TN or her own?

Reaction Score
So far TN has talent but all the best Div. I teams have talent! They need coaching! The way they played ball under Holly W., it's like 12 players show up at game-time, play a little"ball" then head out after the game! I don't get a sense that TN is a TEAM! There's no cohesion, no organization and that comes from the coaches and TN doesn't have any! And as talented as DD is she is going to be more problems than solution. She went to NoCar because Sylvia Hatchell told her she wouldn't interfere with DD's style of play! Is Holly going to agree to do the same thing? And if not does DD pout?

You don't win an SEC regular season and tourney title along with making it to the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight in the last two years without coaching. Holly, in her first two years has kept Tennessee knocking on the door of the top while collecting more and more talent. Holly has been a head coach for two years and has won a lot of games. She flat out coached both Blair and Staley this year and has numerous other games where her halftime adjustments show a lot of promise. Is she a Pat, Geno, or Tara yet? No. But as a Tennessee fan it is amusing to see how so many want to right her off just because A.) they dislike the program so negative thoughts are natural and/or B.) people have no clue what a head coach looks like outside of their own favorite team's head coach.

As for Diamond, she went to North Carolina because she and her friends all thought is was a great idea at the time and they all had an established relationship with TSO. Do a little digging and you will see that relationship was a big factor. TSO is a family friend of many prominent athletic families in Atlanta and DeShields and Coopers are not excluded. There were tears shed according to TSO when she told them she was leaving. It has been discussed that Diamond wanted out before the season started but Sylvia convinced her to stay and try. She did, was unhappy, and left. She has been very gracious in her comments about UNC and chose to switch schools because she felt she would be happier. As of right now, she seems to be glowing about her decision. I can't stand people suggesting her addition to the team would cause problems. UNC started 3 freshmen by the end of the year and almost made it to the final four in large part because of Diamond... that doesn't seem like she is detrimental to her team. She also helped Norcross win 3 of 4 state tournaments in arguably the best high school girls basketball state.

Ok, rant over! I'll shut up now.

Reaction Score
You don't win an SEC regular season and tourney title along with making it to the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight in the last two years without coaching. Holly, in her first two years has kept Tennessee knocking on the door of the top while collecting more and more talent. Holly has been a head coach for two years and has won a lot of games. She flat out coached both Blair and Staley this year and has numerous other games where her halftime adjustments show a lot of promise. Is she a Pat, Geno, or Tara yet? No. But as a Tennessee fan it is amusing to see how so many want to right her off just because A.) they dislike the program so negative thoughts are natural and/or B.) people have no clue what a head coach looks like outside of their own favorite team's head coach.

As for Diamond, she went to North Carolina because she and her friends all thought is was a great idea at the time and they all had an established relationship with TSO. Do a little digging and you will see that relationship was a big factor. TSO is a family friend of many prominent athletic families in Atlanta and DeShields and Coopers are not excluded. There were tears shed according to TSO when she told them she was leaving. It has been discussed that Diamond wanted out before the season started but Sylvia convinced her to stay and try. She did, was unhappy, and left. She has been very gracious in her comments about UNC and chose to switch schools because she felt she would be happier. As of right now, she seems to be glowing about her decision. I can't stand people suggesting her addition to the team would cause problems. UNC started 3 freshmen by the end of the year and almost made it to the final four in large part because of Diamond... that doesn't seem like she is detrimental to her team. She also helped Norcross win 3 of 4 state tournaments in arguably the best high school girls basketball state.

Tennessee still has a women's basketball team? :p

Reaction Score

It's not just fans who dislike the Tennessee program or fans that don't have a clue what a head coach looks like that are down on Holly's coaching. A sizable number of Tennessee fans are also not satisfied with Holly's coaching
and want to "right her off" (sic). You don't have to be on VolNation long to realize this.
Can you explain this statement to me that you made in a previous post ?
"The being scared stuff is bogus. Were they? Absolutely"
You seem to indicate that they weren't "scared" (bogus) and then immediately agreed that they were !

Reaction Score
It's not just fans who dislike the Tennessee program or fans that don't have a clue what a head coach looks like that are down on Holly's coaching. A sizable number of Tennessee fans are also not satisfied with Holly's coaching
and want to "right her off" (sic). You don't have to be on VolNation long to realize this.
Can you explain this statement to me that you made in a previous post ?
"The being scared stuff is bogus. Were they? Absolutely"
You seem to indicate that they weren't "scared" (bogus) and then immediately agreed that they were !

The bogus part is me saying there should have been no excuse for them to be scared but admitting that is how they played and that is on both coaches and players. It doesn't make Holly a bad coach, it makes her a second year head coach who simply didn't get it right.

Right should be write... sorry, phone typing...

As for Tennessee fans questioning Holly... I call it being overly dramatic.

Reaction Score
tennparker3- - - Tn is joining those once elite programs that their fans say, remember when we were the best in the nation! Auburn, La Tech, GA, SoCal, Old Dominion, Immaculata, UVA, Texas (though with their new coach Karen Aston they may be on their way back), NoCar, & TX Tech!
With Holly Warlick as head coach, TN is headed into oblivion, IMHO which stands for nothing, but I get the same feeling watching HW coach that I got watching Gail Goestenkors coach, THE DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS! Totally lost like what's happening to us? What can I do?
Just because she coached with Pat Summitt for 25+ years doesn't make her a PHS clone!
I remember Maria (or whatever the head of THE SUMMITT site's name is) crying on video how terrible her Lady Vols were and how WE had to get rid of certain players, & HW, etc.! Just recently the same lady went on for 8 hrs. or whatever, on how TN was now going to win the next 10 National Championships because Diamond DeShield transferred from NoCar to TN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom