2014 University Endowment Rankings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2014 University Endowment Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't answer the phone when UConn calls. Or Kansas. Or BC. Or Maryland. Loyola New Orleans doesn't call, since my wife transferred to BC. Those are the five schools we attended.

Endowments grew large at many schools in an era where people were able to relatively quickly earn more than college cost them. Today, you've got student loans crippling people for a decade after school. Then they've got kids perhaps, a mortgage etc. In my case, with a soon to be 13 year old daughter, even though I make good money, I don't want her saddled with student loans, so I have to find a way to come up with what will probably be at least $200,000. Do you really think I want to send money to a school that will turn around and give some of it to somebody else to lessen their burden? No chance. I give to charities, to help those truly in need or cure diseases etc. I don't trust these schools to wisely determine where the money goes, not at all.

You are not alone in this. I feel your pain

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What is interesting is that this article states that as of December 2013, UConn Foundation had 459m in endowment and assets. Are we accounting for things differently than other schools again? We seem to always do this, to our detriment (at least perception wise).

According to the contract Jeff Hathaway wrote, we had to pay PPs buyout out of the endowment. This happened right around that time. That probably accounted for the loss.

Reaction Score
"Donors to the University of Connecticut set a new record for charitable giving in fiscal 2014, making gifts and commitments totaling $81.1 million, a 28.1 percent increase over the preceding year and the highest level of giving to the University in the 50-year history of the UConn Foundation."

No idea what occurred in 2013 nor whether the December 2013 Hartford business publication reported entirely accurate information, but the UCONN Foundation's website provides substantial transparency with detailed financial information. For example, the link enables you to access the Foundation's 2014 financial statement, a previously referenced 2014 Endowment Report (Courant graph link above), its' 2014 IRS 990 tax form, Endowed Fund Spending, and tax and legal information. In addition, this linked Investment Policy & Guidelines provides some insight on its' portfolio allocation. The UCONN Foundation Endowment Report 2014 reports Total Assets of $489 million and total "Investment" assets of $413 million.

Reaction Score
I was very surprised to find out that Connecticut is not one of the states with a large percentage of native born residing in the state.

The percentage of folks residing in Connecticut that were born in the state is essentially the same as that of Florida and California.

No ... this is not accurate at all. ( Source... US Census, enclosed below )

Florida has the lowest percentage of its current residents that were born in Florida than any other of the 50 states except for Nevada. Over half ( 55% ) of the current residents of Connecticut were born in Connecticut, about the national average of other states ( 58%). Only about a third ( 35% ) of the current residents of Florida however were born in Florida. Florida in 2014 surpassed New York in population for the first time. It is expected that the huge population increases expected in the state of Florida over the next 2 decades will decrease this 35% figure even more dramatically.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acsbr10-07.pdf

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No ... this is not accurate at all. ( Source... US Census, enclosed below )
Shocking as it is for a bosox fan ^, and even more surprising for a bcu guy, he occasionally proves a slight bit useful. ;) No doubt, billybud's suggestion regarding typical residents of The Land of Steady Habits was way off the mark.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
They hire UConn business administration graduates.

UConn had 34,000 applicants for the Class of 2019. Only 10% will be accepted for Storrs. What a long way the school has come.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20150225/NEWS01/150229961

Not quite correct. In order to "enroll" 3400 freshmen Uconn will probably "accept" between 10-12,000 for Storrs. Uconn's overall rate of acceptance has been about 50% in recent years. All schools accept way more than they enroll (well maybe not Harvard, Yale, Princeton, & a few others) in order to allow for those applicants who for one reason or another decide not to attend. With the average high school senior applying to around 6 schools a significant percentage of most school's acceptances do not result in enrollments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom