2014 University Endowment Rankings | The Boneyard

2014 University Endowment Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not really realignment related but we all love rankings and obsessing over meaningless numbers - here's the newly released numbers for 2014.

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/EndowmentFiles/2014_Endowment_Market_Values.pdf

UConn at #211 with an 11.5% increase from the previous year.

Other G5 schools talked about in realignment

BYU (Unlisted but public reports of a $1B endowment would put it around ~#90)
Tulane (#77)
Cincinnati (#78)
Tulsa (#92)
USF (#195)
UCF (#354)
Boise State (#480)

Big Ten Schools
Northwestern (#8)
Michigan (#9)
Ohio State (#24)
*John Hopkins (#26)
Penn State (#27)
Minnesota (#29)
Purdue (#33)
Wisconsin (#34)
Illinois (#36)
Michigan State (#39)
Indiana (#44)
Nebraska (#58)
Iowa (#71)
Maryland(#95)
Rutgers(#100)

Both Maryland and Rutgers is nearing the $1B club - probably will hit it sometime this year.

Reaction Score
Wow, really poor. I had no idea we were lagging so far behind other universities.

Reaction Score
11.5% increase is pretty excellent when were talking hundreds of millions of dollars. We will continue to steadily climb this list based on the work the UConn foundation has done since hiring the guy from Emory.

Ways to go but encouraging.

Reaction Score
Rutgers' big jump must have come from the medical school merger. They were way down the list. That, and/or they're counting a lot of pledged money,

Reaction Score
Alumni that I know living in CT do not answer the phone when UConn calls. I have asked why that it is. The problem I see is that success breeds success. They do not want to give unless success is guaranteed. If UConn was in a P5, the endowment would grow by leaps and bounds. With UConn in the situation it is, and the perceived (please don't take it out on me), inaction in CR, not to mention the ACC snub, people don't want to give what they can and should. They don't want to throw money away on a perceived lost cause. Despite what you all say, that trip to the VI was devastating, if not in reality, but in perception. I think that there is a lack of confidence that our leaders will lead us to the P5 and UConn can hire 10 guys from Emory and it is not going to make a great difference. It is a long way from #211 to the B1G.

Reaction Score
Rutgers' big jump must have come from the medical school merger. They were way down the list. That, and/or they're counting a lot of pledged money,
Of interest, or not, I saw an ad for Rutgers on Fios TV today not during any sporting event but on the Fios news channel. Also, I was recently asked to participate in a survey by Scarborough and one of the questions asked it I was interested in Rutgers athletics. This was for the New York DMA. (Of course I answered no, never heard of them.) They also asked about perception of the AAC.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There's no doubt we are starting well behind, but I will not look negatively on an 11.5% increase - great improvement, let's keep it up.

Reaction Score
11.5% increase is pretty excellent when were talking hundreds of millions of dollars. We will continue to steadily climb this list based on the work the UConn foundation has done since hiring the guy from Emory.

Ways to go but encouraging.

Two huge jumps from Texas and A&M - I think they invest in energy in Texas...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Now that I actually looked at the data (which I should have done at first), 11.5% increase is much less impressive. I'm not going to add up all the increases in the report but "eyeball math" says that 11.5% feels roughly average to below average against all schools. We need to do much better incrementally.

Reaction Score
Now that I actually looked at the data (which I should have done at first), 11.5% increase is much less impressive. I'm not going to add up all the increases in the report but "eyeball math" says that 11.5% feels roughly average to below average against all schools. We need to do much better incrementally.

Considering that the Dow went up by about 22 1/2% from Jan. 1, 2013, to Jan. 1, 2014, yeah.

Reaction Score

If you go all the way to the bottom of the document, it lists the average increase as 15% and the median increase as 16.3%, so yeah it's actually kind of a disappointing year as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
It is like recruiting. It takes several years to undo the damage. There is a lot of long term planning done by large donors prior to giving. I'd expect to see more positive results in another year or two, assuming markets don't drop significantly or even crash.

We are very reliant on low interest rates right now as fuel for stocks. It is much easier to give away money you "won" in the stock market than money you "earned" at work. I'm hoping we see some of that easy money come in soon. If not, I'm not sure what it will take to get donations up because a less vibrant economy and market wouldn't seem to help. I am hoping we can get into the pockets of some hedge funders, one of CT's best natural resources. If I had a few hundred million kicking around I'd put my name on a building at UCONN in a flash.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

I know you're new to the Rutgers-in-your-conference club, but they do a lot of shady stuff with numbers. All the pollution and stink in New Jersey seems to cause Rutgers' mathematicians to use a different version of math than the rest of us.

Reaction Score
How would you know this? Why say something like that? Ru worked pretty damned hard to get to 1 billion, or a little over that. I think we were stuck at 783 mill for a while. This was a concerted effort to get there.

Reaction Score
It is like recruiting. It takes several years to undo the damage. There is a lot of long term planning done by large donors prior to giving. I'd expect to see more positive results in another year or two, assuming markets don't drop significantly or even crash.

We are very reliant on low interest rates right now as fuel for stocks. It is much easier to give away money you "won" in the stock market than money you "earned" at work. I'm hoping we see some of that easy money come in soon. If not, I'm not sure what it will take to get donations up because a less vibrant economy and market wouldn't seem to help. I am hoping we can get into the pockets of some hedge funders, one of CT's best natural resources. If I had a few hundred million kicking around I'd put my name on a building at UCONN in a flash.

Using my personal experience UConn's outreach to alumni has been totally lame in the past. Their ability to identify and cultivate medium sized potential donors has been non existent from what I can see. I am not a billionaire by any means, but had a very successful career in finance after completing my MBA at NYU. Most people are more likely to donate to their undergraduate alma mater than their graduate school. In my case it is just the opposite. I have never been approached by anyone from UConn, I get the annual mailings, while NYU is in contact with me on a regular basis. The net result is that I have made small contributions to UConn from time to time, while my cumulative giving to NYU is approaching six figures. Hell I hear more from the private schools and colleges my kids attended than I do from UConn.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Growing up, the culture was "I've paid enough I'm not giving back a dime."... I think that idea starts in undergrad and it's hard to change afterward - but, change it must. I get the impression that it's slightly better, but it's gotta keep pushing, pushing, pushing.

Unfortunately there are generations of grads who feel that way, and the ONLY way to improve that is personal connections. Mailings will work up to a point, but it's not good enough. It's about networking and making a personal connection about what they valued about their time at UConn. I'm sure this is nothing the Foundation doesn't understand, but now they need the conviction (and manpower) to make those calls. Work folks at events. Reconnect.

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is that natives of New England have less school spirit than people elsewhere do. Kids in the South and Midwest are really into their alma mater. We seem to be much less involved on average. I'd also say that the top private schools, like the Ivies and places like NYU, have more high earning alumni. This results in more giving, and in some cases, massive giving.

It really seems that UCONN needs to do something to become relevant on Wall Street. It is the one nearby source to tap that has unlimited potential.

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is that natives of New England have less school spirit than people elsewhere do. Kids in the South and Midwest are really into their alma mater. We seem to be much less involved on average. I'd also say that the top private schools, like the Ivies and places like NYU, have more high earning alumni. This results in more giving, and in some cases, massive giving.

It really seems that UCONN needs to do something to become relevant on Wall Street. It is the one nearby source to tap that has unlimited potential.
As I have said before, success breeds success. When and if it is announced that UConn is going to a P5, any P5, money will roll in. Until then, it will be scratch and claw for a few bucks from alumni. I think a lot of people are taking a wait and see attitude.

Reaction Score
How would you know this? Why say something like that? Ru worked pretty damned hard to get to 1 billion, or a little over that. I think we were stuck at 783 mill for a while. This was a concerted effort to get there.
Doesn't matter. RU won the lottery. They are not going to disappear, but will only become wealthier with their B1G membership.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So you site an article from 3 and a half years Ago? How rationail is that?

Very. I said your school likes to play around with numbers. You said "why would you say that?" I showed you why I would say that.

Try to follow along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99