2014: Abdul Malik-Abu Mid-Season Mix | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014: Abdul Malik-Abu Mid-Season Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Adrien is playing in the NBA as an undersized power forward, same thing he did at UConn. Oriakhi is a power forward in a centers body??? WTF are you talking about, if I had to guess Abdul Malik Abu is around the same size as Oriakhi. The more I've read from you in this thread the less it makes sense.

ao is slow and has no forawrd type player moves/skills. thats what i ment instead of body. he has a centers game in a pf body.

Reaction Score
What you just typed doesn't describe Jeff at all, he's strictly a garbageman in the NBA, which is fine. I did see a few of his NBDL games on NBATV where he was putting up big numbers and was more of a featured player than what he's asked to do in the league and he didn't show any 3 man skills at all either, he showed a more consistent midrange jumper(which JC always wanted him to take and knock down here) and a better feel for the game but he was strictly a low/high post player. CV showed more perimeter skills here and does in the NBA because he's always had them, had nothing to do with development.

caw

Reaction Score
ok i will. but since he can't play this year im not sure what your trying to say. if u dont think next year he will get 10 a game at unlv, then your joking yourself. do u know who unlv plays?

scoe wanted to be a 3 vs a 4. we saw him as not good enough to be a 3 so we played him as a 4. he didn't like that and moved on elsewhere. it is what it is.

My point is that he isn't good enough to play the 3 and he couldn't average 10 PPG as a three in college. It's not that UConn didn't see him as good enough, he wasn't.

ATM UNLV has exactly 1 player over 10 a game. :p

OK, they also do have 5 over 8.5 per.

I'm not even sure Roscoe will start for them next year and I'm not sure they have a single decent PG on the team to get him easy buckets.

Bennett is likely gone, but Moser is back. Moser is in exactly the same position as Smith, he didn't want to play the PF position. IF Roscoe starts it will be at the 4, unless Moser leaves for the NBA.

caw

Reaction Score
lol i know what hes doing, hes one of my favorite players. he worked on his game for years to become a hybrid 3/4. he shoots well and still does his pf act on the boards. but he moves in a offense and handles better now. he put enough 3 in his game where he can make a living. he never got the chance to do that at uconn. we saw him as a 4(he was one hell of a 4 no knocking that) instead of a 3 and he was ok with that, scoe for example was different. but adriends size really hurts that decision long run vs scoe's. who knows what happens with scoe but we kno whats happening with adrien. i'm not saying we should have played the guy 35 minutes at the 3 when he was at uconn from day 1. but anyone remember how we handled charlie v? i seem to remember a good mix of the 3 and 4. funny how that worked out with his draft stock and bank account these days.

i just want a actual tape measure on the kid and lets see whats up.

Calhoun let Adrien shoot the 15 footer in college just like Oriakhi and just like Olander. Adrien was probably the most proficient of the three. The Charles Oakley shot has always been allowed by PF's at UConn.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
then why are we recruiting this kid? we have 3 young power forwards on our roster the next couple years. why do we need a 4th? we need to fill other spoisitions like sf and center and sg and pg. why would we recruit a 4th sf??????? are u telling me tolf, facey or nolan are sf's or centers? no way. tolk is a euro 4 project. facey is a melvin type 4 and nolan is a armstrong like fwd 4. we are set at pf the next couple years with kids we are going to develope.

the staff sees abu as a stud 3 with lenght and potential the nba will eat up.

caw

Reaction Score
then why are we recruiting this kid? we have 3 young power forwards on our roster the next couple years. why do we need a 4th? we need to fill other spoisitions like sf and center and sg and pg. why would we recruit a 4th sf??????? are u telling me tolf, facey or nolan are sf's or centers? no way. tolk is a euro 4 project. facey is a melvin type 4 and nolan is a armstrong like fwd 4. we are set at pf the next couple years with kids we are going to develope.

the staff sees abu as a stud 3 with lenght and potential the nba will eat up.

13 scholarships, use them.

For fun, UConn's deepest team's, IMO, had the following composition:

PG: 2 (Taliek Brown, Marcus Williams)
SG: 1 (Ben Gordon)
SF: 2 (Denham Brown, Rashad Anderson)
PF: 4 (Charlie Villanueva, Josh Boone, Marcus White, Shamon Tooles)
C: 2 (Emeka Okafor, Hilton Armstrong)

PG:2 (El-Amin, EJ Harrison [walk-on])
SG: 2 (Ricky Moore, Albert Mouring)
SF:2 (Rip Hamilton, Rash Jones)
PF: 3 (Kevin Freeman, Edmond Saunders, Antric Klaiber)
C: 2 (Jake Voshkul, Soulemane Wayne)

2014 UConn has:

PG: Boatright (sr, if stays), Samuel (so)
SG: Calhoun (jr)
SF: Daniels (sr, if stays)
PF: Nolan (jr), Tolksdorf (jr), Facey (so)
C: Brimah (so)

5 spots available, maybe more, if they can get Malik-Abu for one of them, it's fine. Obviously you don't take Malik-Abu and another four.

You take up to 3 bigs, but likely 2. If you do take 3 bigs (only if three studs) , you take two guards. If it's 2 bigs, then two guards and a SF.

Plenty of room in that class for one PF.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
13 scholarships, use them.

For fun, UConn's deepest team's, IMO, had the following composition:

PG: 2 (Taliek Brown, Marcus Williams)
SG: 1 (Ben Gordon)
SF: 2 (Denham Brown, Rashad Anderson)
PF: 4 (Charlie Villanueva, Josh Boone, Marcus White, Shamon Tooles)
C: 2 (Emeka Okafor, Hilton Armstrong)

PG:2 (El-Amin, EJ Harrison [walk-on])
SG: 2 (Ricky Moore, Albert Mouring)
SF:2 (Rip Hamilton, Rash Jones)
PF: 3 (Kevin Freeman, Edmond Saunders, Antric Klaiber)
C: 2 (Jake Voshkul, Soulemane Wayne)

2014 UConn has:

PG: Boatright (sr, if stays), Samuel (so)
SG: Calhoun (jr)
SF: Daniels (sr, if stays)
PF: Nolan (jr), Tolksdorf (jr), Facey (so)
C: Brimah (so)

5 spots available, maybe more, if they can get Malik-Abu for one of them, it's fine. Obviously you don't take Malik-Abu and another four.

You take up to 3 bigs, but likely 2. If you do take 3 bigs (only if three studs) , you take two guards. If it's 2 bigs, then two guards and a SF.

Plenty of room in that class for one PF.

i say CV is a 3 on that chart. db and ra were both sg/sf wing guys for that team then just a sf. cv played a lot of sf that year.

and is that dd at the 3 on your chart? wierd, u guys like playing those types of players at the 4...if cv was a 4 then dd gets on the chart as a 4 and your position looks even worse then that were recruiting another 4...

Reaction Score
i say CV is a 3 on that chart. db and ra were both sg/sf wing guys for that team then just a sf. cv played a lot of sf that year.

and is that dd at the 3 on your chart? wierd, u guys like playing those types of players at the 4...if cv was a 4 then dd gets on the chart as a 4 and your position looks even worse then that were recruiting another 4...

Jackie-Chan-surprised.jpg

Reaction Score
ao is slow and has no forawrd type player moves/skills. thats what i ment instead of body. he has a centers game in a pf body.

I get what you are saying and you do need to develop these kids and should be expected to........Omar at the 2 is not going to happen soon as passing skills and ballhandling should already be there and could be a tough teach late in the game.......there's time but I don't see it and I think he'll be that 3rd guard for most of his career unless the unheard of happens!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I get what you are saying and you do need to develop these kids and should be expected to........Omar at the 2 is not going to happen soon as passing skills and ballhandling should already be there and could be a tough teach late in the game.......there's time but I don't see it and I think he'll be that 3rd guard for most of his career unless the unheard of happens!

the kid has a nice handle already. it simply isn't up to college game speed and isn't gets reps. thats the issue. becuase of our roster he never brings the ball up or really handles it for chucks of time. so when we try to break or press or soemthing he isn't expierenced with the ball yet. when he slides to the 2 eventually he will get work on his handle thru time at the position and it will be just fine.

lets go make fun of teo and lance now....cage war!!!!

Reaction Score
the kid has a nice handle already. it simply isn't up to college game speed and isn't gets reps. thats the issue. becuase of our roster he never brings the ball up or really handles it for chucks of time. so when we try to break or press or soemthing he isn't expierenced with the ball yet. when he slides to the 2 eventually he will get work on his handle thru time at the position and it will be just fine.

lets go make fun of teo and lance now....cage war!!!!

His handel isn't awful but it's not close to the 2 and his passing is the furthest thing.......can you imagine him being the 2nd calming force breaking LVille's press......YIKKES

Reaction Score
Forget depth chart breakdowns this kid is a player and would be our best post player right now at this moment. Must get

Reaction Score
Hearing MD is chasing him the hardest. Uconn in his top five

Reaction Score
Remember Wes Unseld from Ville 6-6 or 6-7 250 lbs. ave 21 and 19 in his career at Ville. NBA HOF. Career ave. of 11 and 14 boards over 14 years in the NBA and everyone said coming out of college we was too short. He may not have been tall but he was huge..

caw

Reaction Score

CV didn't play the three at UConn at all, he probably could have played there some, but he didn't. He was a stretch four in college and in the pros

Daniels has played the three his freshman year. I was assuming he would move back there with the added depth in 2014. He, unlike Roscoe or Adrien or Freeman can play the three in college.

CV and Daniels are similar, but Daniels is a bit shorter, skinnier and a bit more mobile than CV, esp. laterally.

DB/RA did see some time at the SG position and BG played some 1. Players don't always only play one position, if they are capable. Hell Tooles played some SF in a pinch. I was putting players where their natural college position was.

Reaction Score

I'll be honest, this made me laugh out loud.

HuskyFanDan is on another planet with this stuff. First the marketing plan, then the player evals. It's too much.

Villanueva played as many minutes at the three at UConn as I did.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Dan, I understand what you're saying. But I think you worded it incorrectly. UConn doesn't recruit players for the NBA. The coaching staff really doesn't look at a kid and say, "This kid will be a draft pick in 3 years we need him." They say something like, "With an increased skill set, this kid can really help us compete for a national championship." These kids just so happen to be studs and excel at the highest level, making them attractive to the NBA,

Reaction Score
Excited to see how he will progress over the Summer as well as next season too.. Could be still growing. Scary, I know.

Seems to me, he is best suited at PF. He'll continue to get stronger and be able to body defenders in the post..

Reaction Score
CV didn't even really end up a stretch four at UConn. He filled that role off the bench in our NC year, but he barely took any threes his second year. He was mostly playing inside while Rudy-Rashad-Denham were out on the wings. He did step out to 15 feet a fair amount, but we under-utilized his perimeter shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom