2014: Abdul Malik-Abu Mid-Season Mix | The Boneyard

2014: Abdul Malik-Abu Mid-Season Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
great looking sf. lock him and terell up asap!!!!! then lets land a center in ok4 or paschal and a 2nd guard in carrington or hill or zabo type.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
He's a PF

he looks 6'6ish and has nice touch on his shot and can shoot atleast a litttle bit in the video from 3. i would say u groom him as a sf for the nba as thats where his leght and strenght could made him a standout. hes to small to be a pf in the nba and his game is to hybrid for his size to do a david lee type guess. if he was 6'8 or 9 with the game he has, then hes a hybrid pf.

Reaction Score
he looks 6'6ish and has nice touch on his shot and can shoot atleast a litttle bit in the video from 3. i would say u groom him as a sf for the nba as thats where his leght and strenght could made him a standout. hes to small to be a pf in the nba and his game is to hybrid for his size to do a david lee type guess. if he was 6'8 or 9 with the game he has, then hes a hybrid pf.
He is 6' 8".

Reaction Score

Why do you care what position he's best suited for in the NBA when this is college we're talking about? He can still work on developing his handle and his perimeter game while playing PF in college. He's about the same size as KFree and we all know what position he played in college and what was best suited for. Malik-Abu is undersized and a tweener at PF for the NBA but you concern yourself about that when the time comes, I don't see the point of shoehorning a guy into a position in college that he's not best suited for. Malik-Abu is listed on most recruiting sites as 6'7"-6'8" and 225-230lbs on most sites, how many of those guys do you see playing SF in college, and Malik-Abu doesn't have the perimeter skills as say Harrison Barnes or Rudy Gay.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I want him and Terrell in a Husky uniform. I would think we have a very good chance with them, any recruiting experts have any info?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
He is 6' 8".

i want to see the tape measure on that :D

Why do you care what position he's best suited for in the NBA when this is college we're talking about? He can still work on developing his handle and his perimeter game while playing PF in college. He's about the same size as KFree and we all know what position he played in college and what was best suited for. Malik-Abu is undersized and a tweener at PF for the NBA but you concern yourself about that when the time comes, I don't see the point of shoehorning a guy into a position in college that he's not best suited for. Malik-Abu is listed on most recruiting sites as 6'7"-6'8" and 225-230lbs on most sites, how many of those guys do you see playing SF in college, and Malik-Abu doesn't have the perimeter skills as say Harrison Barnes or Rudy Gay.

becuase we are not just another college. we are one of only a few nbaU's. we take kids and turn them into pros. kids dont have great college careers here and disapear. they either have developing years here or blow up years here and both end in nba draft pick and pros with big checks. we built ourselves on lenght and potential. thats how the nba draft works and thats how we are going to continue to operate. if he really is 6'8 then thats getting closer to pf size. he doesn't look that to me from the vid but as i said its just me watching a video. we will see eventually...

he can develope in college as a pf sure, but hes a sf at the next level so we should play him at that spot. is we play him as a pf then his game wont translate to sf type so quick/well. i think thats my big beef with ppl this year also. ppl get on omar or olander on and off. they need to stfu. were playing omar as a frosh at the 3 instead of the 2. were playing olander as a 5 instea dof a 4 and for major minutes. i dont think ppl have a clue how much this is not the best for the kids but it is for the team and those kids are taking huge bullets for the program and doing a great job.

anyway, kfree? how did that end up working out playing him as a 4 instead of a 3? should we have played rudy as a 4 instea dof a 3? i think we played rudy as a 3 here, wonder what ever happened to the kid?

abu's perimeter skills need to be developed. thats why u play him at the 3, so he can develope those. play him at the 4 and he never does. then u throw him to the wolves of the nba. is he a 3 or 4? well he has no perimeter skills so hes a 4. but hes a bit small for a 4 so hes really a twenner, yea but as a hybrid he can't handle and usualy blah blah.

once we get back to full ships here at uconn and a actual roster with kids at all stages player-puzzle piece-developmental i can't wait for thise board to get its head our of its asses and start talking basketball again. the current situation has sent so many here into a tailspin with what actuall big boy basketball is. we are making due right now with what we have, when we survive and rise from this bad ncaa trip, were not going to keep acting like dayton, were going back to being uconn. kids with lenght, speed, attitude and hops are the norm. not a couple nice big white guys and a couple small scoring guards. beef, agressiveness and a will to suceed.

years ago, we walked into gyms and as we warmed up u could see the looks of players on the other teams like tf is in the water up in connecticut. josh boone looked like he was straight out of the pen for the game then going back. no one look at charlie for more than 1 sec without looking away. no one wanted ok4 down low. every time ben gordon ran around ppl were side stepping to make sure there face wasn't going to be on the news. no one wanted a fuuucking piece of this program. we need to get back to that and our fanbase needs to get back to that instead of there brains getting cramped form this little tough stretch thanks to JH and the ncaa.

lenght, speed, hops, attitude. our starting lineups should look like nba ready teams, not vcu. right now it is what it is, but i'll be dammed if we dont rise out of this. so far in this 2013 class we have what? a 7ft center, a 6'2 pg and a 6'9 pf. the center is all potential, heard that before and seen it work pretty dam well here. the pf is 6'9 and has great leght and can shoot mid range well. the pg has lenght and is quick and is know for his vision. amazing, sound sliek were going back to winning ways as nbau.

i want a official height on him. i say 6'6 and hes a sf. anyone here remember a guy named jeff adrien? him and rashad are my 2 favs all time. anyway. he was really 6'6 but everyone thought the roster and bs sites were right and he was 6'8/9. but we played him at the 4. he could only hit elbow jumpers and never handled the ball much. he was one hell of a college player. see what happened to him? its taken him years of hard work to break thru. nab call up 1 after the other becuase of where we developed him. lets not make the same mistake with abu. adrien had bad touch so i know why the staff back then made him a 4 instead of a 3 and he also fit the tema better there. but longterm that wasn't the right moev and this is a longterm school, not a short term school. duke used to be a great example of this. now even coach k has changed his playbook as the years and years of so many nba guys but nothing great wore him down mentally. grant hill was getting old and he couldn't mntion corey magettie without a uk or uconn fan pouncing.

abu is a 3 until he hits 6'9 on the tape measure. i hope to god we dont jeff adrien him. just that hl vid alone he hit more 3's then adriend did in storrs for 4 years.

Reaction Score
Didn't read through all of that and I'm not going to, but what I read through(and what I've read in the past from you) showed me that you have a very warped and bizarre stance on size and positions. Lol @ the thought of shoehorning Jeff into the SF spot, or doing the same with KFree(and you completely ignored the fact that one of our best players of all time manned that spot during 3 of KFree's 4 years). They were tweeners, guys who's size dictated that they weren't quite big enough to excel at the PF position at the NBA level and not skilled enough to man the SF spot. Jeff is much better served at being what he is now than waisting time trying to transform into a SF when he has neither the athleticism or feel to play the position. Also, as for Omar, he's perfectly fine playing the 3 in college, in fact it would be team suicide to have him paired with only one guard/ballhandler/decision maker given what we've seen from him with the ball in his hands. Maybe in the future that changes, but definitely not now.

Reaction Score
How can you tell how tall someone is in a video clip when you don't know the heights of any other players on the court? I'm sure someone can tell 6 foot from 7 foot but within 2-3 inches?

Reaction Score
Dan can you remind me what our crunch-time lineup was during our most recent National Championship run? It was Shabazz, Kemba, Lamb, Roscoe, and Oriakhi. Kemba was playing the two, Lamb the three, Scoe the four, and Oriakhi the five. At the pro level, all those guys would have to move down one position in order to succeed, yet we made it work in college. Size and length are important, but only if your lineup has the skills to complement that length. There was no more intimidating lineup in the country last year than us - Lamb played the two and had a freakish wingspan, Scoe was a gigantic college three, and Drummond is already one of the most terrifying players in the NBA. But where did it get us? Nowhere, because only two of those guys could create any offense. If you think Jeff Adrien should have played the three during his time here you're insane. He was built like a f'in bull, not somebody who should be hoisting jump shots on the perimeter and slashing to the lane.

This isn't 1992 anymmore, you don't need a frontcourt of Juwan Howard and Chris Webber to win big. If you look at how our team projects to next year, and assume everybody makes the necessary developments, they're basically a similar version of the 2011 Missouri team that won over 30 games. Yeah, we need a big man who can block shots and protect the rim if we want to legitimately contend next season, but the point is you can win in modern day college basketball with three guards, a face-up four, and one big man. Preferably I'd love to return to the Okafor/Boone/Charlie days, but I'll take the team we have this year every day of the week over playing a 6'6 kid at shooting guard who can't dribble.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
omar took a while early in the year to get his game up to college speed. at first he was having trouble staying in front of his man, his d has been better lately. then it was getting his shot of and creating. he has been shooting more lately. next will be his handle. its jut a develope and adapt freshmen circle hes going thru. the reason his handle is taking longer is in practice every day he plays the 3 so hes not getting 2 guard pressure. he getting dd or gif on him. but also his role in the offense is the 3 man in practice so hes simply not in many ball handling situations right now. its just becuase we are playing him out of position for the best of what needs to happen this year. his handle will come alomng just like the rest of his game is. he can actually be a dyson type. he gets above the rim and in hs finished agressively many times. i think playing the 3 hurts that progess as he has bigger bodys making it hard for him to carve space and explode to the rim with a mix of him getting boxed out from rebounds by bigger guys.

team suicide would not be close to omar playing the 2. i can't wait to see him at the 2. but for the roster/situation we have it wont happen until his jr year here unless bazz goes pro(remember he had to say last year he was coming back...).

2014 opening night? lets say we land a good clas but no stud for 2014 that steals a starting spot. so then what do we have?

pg-boat(sr)-samuel(so)-14 recruit(fr)
sg-omar(jr)-13 recruit(so-could be a combo player)
sf-dd(sr)-14 recruit(fr)
pf-nolan(jr)-facey(so)-tolk(jr)
c-brimah(so)-14 recruit(fr)
* 1 slot left. its a 14 recruit and either a 3rd center or a 3rd sg on that roster, u can fill it in...
i hold out hope that the 2014 class is 4 of these 5(abu/ter/carr/ok4/pasch). dreams...
**our 4th piece to the 2013 class i think will be a 2nd guard, wildcard is a 3rd big man...

anyway, do u see that roster? thats what we are heading towards. thats lenght for days, thats big boy bball. we have 3 raw developing power forwards. i'm wiling to bet abu isn't as tall as u all read on espn and rivals that he is. its like 1st grade typoe fanbase antics to believe those sites have the correct height of recruits. let me guess boatrights is 6 fott also right? come on now. kid is a jeff adriend type body and game wise. a bit better shooter already. were going to mold a 3 not a 4 out of him. just watch.

why did roscoe smith leave? 3 vs 4. its wasn't the apr thing, that was a easy excuse to make, we all know the ncaa rule on who and how transfering works with the issue.

who are our best sf/3/wings ever? rudy, caron, rip? yea they are all 6'4 right? size/lenght matter. we are nbau, not st. joes.

Reaction Score
Dan this is idiotic, are you seriously trying to say that Adrien and Freeman should have played small forward at UConn? KFree did play a lot of small forward his senior year and it was pretty much a disaster. Freeman was an undersized power forward and he was good at it, you can't just turn someone into a small forward because there size is more similar to a small forward. Adrien at small forward is way more ridiculous, you must be the only dude on the planet that thinks Jeff should have been a 3.

caw

Reaction Score
omar took a while early in the year to get his game up to college speed. at first he was having trouble staying in front of his man, his d has been better lately. then it was getting his shot of and creating. he has been shooting more lately. next will be his handle. its jut a develope and adapt freshmen circle hes going thru. the reason his handle is taking longer is in practice every day he plays the 3 so hes not getting 2 guard pressure. he getting dd or gif on him. but also his role in the offense is the 3 man in practice so hes simply not in many ball handling situations right now. its just becuase we are playing him out of position for the best of what needs to happen this year. his handle will come alomng just like the rest of his game is. he can actually be a dyson type. he gets above the rim and in hs finished agressively many times. i think playing the 3 hurts that progess as he has bigger bodys making it hard for him to carve space and explode to the rim with a mix of him getting boxed out from rebounds by bigger guys.

team suicide would not be close to omar playing the 2. i can't wait to see him at the 2. but for the roster/situation we have it wont happen until his jr year here unless bazz goes pro(remember he had to say last year he was coming back...).

2014 opening night? lets say we land a good clas but no stud for 2014 that steals a starting spot. so then what do we have?

pg-boat(sr)-samuel(so)-14 recruit(fr)
sg-omar(jr)-13 recruit(so-could be a combo player)
sf-dd(sr)-14 recruit(fr)
pf-nolan(jr)-facey(so)-tolk(jr)
c-brimah(so)-14 recruit(fr)
* 1 slot left. its a 14 recruit and either a 3rd center or a 3rd sg on that roster, u can fill it in...
i hold out hope that the 2014 class is 4 of these 5(abu/ter/carr/ok4/pasch). dreams...
**our 4th piece to the 2013 class i think will be a 2nd guard, wildcard is a 3rd big man...

anyway, do u see that roster? thats what we are heading towards. thats lenght for days, thats big boy bball. we have 3 raw developing power forwards. i'm wiling to bet abu isn't as tall as u all read on espn and rivals that he is. its like 1st grade typoe fanbase antics to believe those sites have the correct height of recruits. let me guess boatrights is 6 fott also right? come on now. kid is a jeff adriend type body and game wise. a bit better shooter already. were going to mold a 3 not a 4 out of him. just watch.

why did roscoe smith leave? 3 vs 4. its wasn't the apr thing, that was a easy excuse to make, we all know the ncaa rule on who and how transfering works with the issue.

who are our best sf/3/wings ever? rudy, caron, rip? yea they are all 6'4 right? size/lenght matter. we are nbau, not st. joes.

Let me know when Roscoe makes the NBA as a three, or even averages more than 10 PPG at UNLV.

Reaction Score
If Omar plays the 3 it will be team suicide.........and Jeff Adrien? He couldn't pass or handle how was he going to play the 3?

please Dan these thoughts are ridiculous!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan can you remind me what our crunch-time lineup was during our most recent National Championship run? It was Shabazz, Kemba, Lamb, Roscoe, and Oriakhi. Kemba was playing the two, Lamb the three, Scoe the four, and Oriakhi the five. At the pro level, all those guys would have to move down one position in order to succeed, yet we made it work in college. Size and length are important, but only if your lineup has the skills to complement that length. There was no more intimidating lineup in the country last year than us - Lamb played the two and had a freakish wingspan, Scoe was a gigantic college three, and Drummond is already one of the most terrifying players in the NBA. But where did it get us? Nowhere, because only two of those guys could create any offense. If you think Jeff Adrien should have played the three during his time here you're insane. He was built like a f'in bull, not somebody who should be hoisting jump shots on the perimeter and slashing to the lane.

This isn't 1992 anymmore, you don't need a frontcourt of Juwan Howard and Chris Webber to win big. If you look at how our team projects to next year, and assume everybody makes the necessary developments, they're basically a similar version of the 2011 Missouri team that won over 30 games. Yeah, we need a big man who can block shots and protect the rim if we want to legitimately contend next season, but the point is you can win in modern day college basketball with three guards, a face-up four, and one big man. Preferably I'd love to return to the Okafor/Boone/Charlie days, but I'll take the team we have this year every day of the week over playing a 6'6 kid at shooting guard who can't dribble.

this is perfect. please tell me the metrics of jermey lamb. hes a sg no doubt and a extremely leghty one. so lenghty that hes a sf body in a sg player. thats what makes him so special. nba lenght and potential...that allowed us to use him as a 3 and put our best crunch time lineup out on the court. do u not see the lenght in that? he played the 2 all last year and we prepped him for the nba. pretty clear thats what was going on, no? stand up lamb to omar and have them each stcik there right hand up. in my argument u could literally get away with sticking lamb at the 3 full time for god sakes.

scoe-read my above post.

ao was a pf stuck in a centers body and a 5 years old hands. hes never going to be a pro. ok college player but he didn't develope and never will based off his issues. glad hes gone. what he was his fr year is stil what he is is sr year. thats why he is a extemely fustrating player to watch or talk about among all the other issues.

drummond, are u just making my point for me? lenght for days. nbau....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Let me know when Roscoe makes the NBA as a three, or even averages more than 10 PPG at UNLV.

ok i will. but since he can't play this year im not sure what your trying to say. if u dont think next year he will get 10 a game at unlv, then your joking yourself. do u know who unlv plays?

scoe wanted to be a 3 vs a 4. we saw him as not good enough to be a 3 so we played him as a 4. he didn't like that and moved on elsewhere. it is what it is.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If Omar plays the 3 it will be team suicide.........and Jeff Adrien? He couldn't pass or handle how was he going to play the 3?

please Dan these thoughts are ridiculous!!

i keep saying u have to develope these kids for positions and all u guys want to do is pick a kid up and put him in a slot. thius stuff takes time and doesn't happen in games right away. chesus. what is jeff adrien doing now a days?

Reaction Score
i keep saying u have to develope these kids for positions and all u guys want to do is pick a kid up and put him in a slot. thius stuff takes time and doesn't happen in games right away. chesus. what is jeff adrien doing now a days?

Collecting a check in the NBA after making 6 figures overseas annually. I don't think things would've worked out quite as well for him if we had him curling off screens and shooting jumpers.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Collecting a check in the NBA after making 6 figures overseas annually. I don't think things would've worked out quite well for him if we had him curling off screens and shooting jumpers.

lol i know what hes doing, hes one of my favorite players. he worked on his game for years to become a hybrid 3/4. he shoots well and still does his pf act on the boards. but he moves in a offense and handles better now. he put enough 3 in his game where he can make a living. he never got the chance to do that at uconn. we saw him as a 4(he was one hell of a 4 no knocking that) instead of a 3 and he was ok with that, scoe for example was different. but adriends size really hurts that decision long run vs scoe's. who knows what happens with scoe but we kno whats happening with adrien. i'm not saying we should have played the guy 35 minutes at the 3 when he was at uconn from day 1. but anyone remember how we handled charlie v? i seem to remember a good mix of the 3 and 4. funny how that worked out with his draft stock and bank account these days.

i just want a actual tape measure on the kid and lets see whats up.

Reaction Score
Adrien is playing in the NBA as an undersized power forward, same thing he did at UConn. Oriakhi is a power forward in a centers body??? WTF are you talking about, if I had to guess Abdul Malik Abu is around the same size as Oriakhi. The more I've read from you in this thread the less it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom