“Storrs Central” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“Storrs Central”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting.

Seems like a missed opportunity to partner with the yard and bootstrap the forum element as a “premium” version of this board.

Although given the type of conversations that happen here, they may prefer that. e.g. how heavily will they moderate critical discussion of coaches/players in their forum.

As a user, it will be a pain to juggle multiple message boards (I understand that is not the entirety of that site, and not saying I wouldn’t support in its other capacities, I just think you have a huge target audience here that could be captured.)

Just some thoughts…
Exactly. I am a UConn Twitter follower but let’s be honest. Their spaces are completely one-sided, they rarely let anyone not in their inner-circle speak and it’s almost always way too cheerleader-esque. Granted, not much to gripe about this season.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The twitter model doesn't appeal to me either. Apparently there are other worlds of UConn fandom beyond the yard. I'll take 4 paragraph, drunk, impulsive, BY posts over blurbs every day of the week.

It's an interesting idea, though I don't think you could pay me to read UConn Twitter's opinions let alone make me pay to see them

Don't get hung up on the idea it'll be anything like Twitter. I believe It'll be part of a small network run by texags.com.

Why don't you just hyperlink the SC message boards to the Boneyard as a show of good faith? Why create your own? Win-win

The offer was made, but they decided to go in a different direction. As long as they emphasize content over forums, I'll support what they hope to accomplish.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Don't get hung up on the idea it'll be anything like Twitter. I believe It'll be part of a small network run by texags.com.

The offer was made, but they decided to go in a different direction. As long as they emphasize content over forums, I'll support what they hope to accomplish.

They have 4 "free" offerings and one is a forum and another is "advanced forum tools".. seems kind of disingenuous of them to say it's not going to try and steal traffic from the BY.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They have 4 "free" offerings and one is a forum and another is "advanced forum tools".. seems kind of disingenuous of them to say it's not going to try and steal traffic from the BY.

I'd feel better if they just linked to the boneyard forums, but it is what it is.

Rivals, 247, on3, etc all have free forums. Their forums are dead.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hello friends!

This is Jared Thomas, the Executive Director for Bleeding Blue for Good. I want to make one thing very clear:

We love and respect the Boneyard and we love and respect Tom. We are in no way trying to compete against Tom.

What we DO need to do is come together as a fanbase in the wild landscape of collegiate athletics that currently exists. We created Bleeding Blue for Good and we've raised well into the seven figures--money that has been used entirely to continue putting the best possible product on the basketball courts (Men's and Women's) while supporting numerous deserving Connecticut charities. In the near future you will see that money used to put the best possible product on the football field.

Love it, hate it, ambivalent to it, this is what college athletics currently is. And if we want to hunt down Championship numbers 6, 7, 8 (MBB) and 12, 13, 14 (WBB), it's literally going to take every single one of us. If we want to return our football program to where it belongs, it's literally going to take every single one of us.

SO -- Ignore the forum. We're not trying to disrupt the status quo. We ARE trying to raise as much money to support the NIL effort as we possibly can. Whether you use the forums or not, our behind-the-scenes coverage of your favorite teams that will be posted daily/weekly as articles and videos will be coverage that you're interested in. In our role as the NIL Collective, we at BBFG have phenomenal relationships with the coaches and players for FB, WBB, and MBB. We intend to use those relationships to provide that coverage to Huskies around the country.

And regarding the Twitter folks -- we need to get the word out to every last UConn fan in the country that this model is a critical imperative for us to maintain our current level of success. We are incredibly grateful to all of them that have helped us promote Storrs Central leading up to launch on the 18th. Even if you aren't fond of some of them, what you need to understand is that if we hit our subscription goals for this site/app, we will be able to add $40,000-$50,000 per month to the NIL effort.

What that means is that the discussions here on the Boneyard can CONTINUE to be about WINNING teams.

I'm not hard to find if you have questions.

Go Huskies!
Can you break down roughly where each % of our donations goes?

STD

Reaction Score
Hello friends!

This is Jared Thomas, the Executive Director for Bleeding Blue for Good. I want to make one thing very clear:

We love and respect the Boneyard and we love and respect Tom. We are in no way trying to compete against Tom.

What we DO need to do is come together as a fanbase in the wild landscape of collegiate athletics that currently exists. We created Bleeding Blue for Good and we've raised well into the seven figures--money that has been used entirely to continue putting the best possible product on the basketball courts (Men's and Women's) while supporting numerous deserving Connecticut charities. In the near future you will see that money used to put the best possible product on the football field.

Love it, hate it, ambivalent to it, this is what college athletics currently is. And if we want to hunt down Championship numbers 6, 7, 8 (MBB) and 12, 13, 14 (WBB), it's literally going to take every single one of us. If we want to return our football program to where it belongs, it's literally going to take every single one of us.

SO -- Ignore the forum. We're not trying to disrupt the status quo. We ARE trying to raise as much money to support the NIL effort as we possibly can. Whether you use the forums or not, our behind-the-scenes coverage of your favorite teams that will be posted daily/weekly as articles and videos will be coverage that you're interested in. In our role as the NIL Collective, we at BBFG have phenomenal relationships with the coaches and players for FB, WBB, and MBB. We intend to use those relationships to provide that coverage to Huskies around the country.

And regarding the Twitter folks -- we need to get the word out to every last UConn fan in the country that this model is a critical imperative for us to maintain our current level of success. We are incredibly grateful to all of them that have helped us promote Storrs Central leading up to launch on the 18th. Even if you aren't fond of some of them, what you need to understand is that if we hit our subscription goals for this site/app, we will be able to add $40,000-$50,000 per month to the NIL effort.

What that means is that the discussions here on the Boneyard can CONTINUE to be about WINNING teams.

I'm not hard to find if you have questions.

Go Huskies!

You should have a politics message board like I see on texags. The Boneyard's was very active.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m also a little skeptical recruiting info will be any more readily available than it has been since Dan took over. Where are these new found insights coming from?

Reaction Score
I don’t think many people on there will be utilizing the forum since most of the users will likely be from Twitter (at least initially). Their value proposition seems to be video content and better program access. Regardless, I think everyone should be contributing to NIL which is what this is, and this just gives you something in return rather than a straight donation. Buy player merch, donate, or whatever. Every dollar matters.
I’m also a little skeptical recruiting info will be any more readily available than it has been since Dan took over. Where are these new found insights coming from?
I would imagine this is more football related since the PAWSARF guy is going to be doing content for them.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
At the end of the day there will be a lot of bleed over information. any news on one site is quickly disseminated onto the other site. If you are here for the information and not the opinions it will make no difference to which site you are more devoted.

Reaction Score
Then please consider making a $9.99/month donation at bleedingblueforgood.org/donate. Accomplishes the same thing I'm asking fans to do with Storrs Central and you don't ever have to engage with Mr. Hot Balls.
Is that the storrs central monthly subscription price?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Definitely want to know where this $10/month is going. Is it all being contributed directly to NIL or are we paying for admin costs/bloggers/etc. with a portion going to NIL?
This is the key question. I can find all of the UConn content I care to read. So if more of my $120/year goes to NIL by buying 3 more t-shirts or spending in another way, that's the choice I'm making.

Reaction Score
Not exactly the transparency that I was hoping for. Hopefully more information is provided because I really like some of the guys involved in the project but could do without these salesmanship type of answers.

Reaction Score
As someone who has a close contact who was part of setting up a collective the answer to the tweet above is concerning. This is going to just be a scheme similar to donating to a charity where pennies on the dollar go to the actual cause. Haven’t looked much into d’amelios but that may be my option moving forward.

Reaction Score
The twitter model doesn't appeal to me either. Apparently there are other worlds of UConn fandom beyond the yard. I'll take 4 paragraph, drunk, impulsive, BY posts over blurbs every day of the week.
Buddy are you missing out

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Honestly kind of confused about the animosity from people here. Is Storrs Central really that much of a threat to The Boneyard? They’re trying to do something that’s going to help our teams, and no one’s taking away this website. I don’t get it.

Reaction Score
Honestly kind of confused about the animosity from people here. Is Storrs Central really that much of a threat to The Boneyard? They’re trying to do something that’s going to help our teams, and no one’s taking away this website. I don’t get it.
I just don't get what their intent is if they're paying staff. It's ok to pay writers and staff for upkeep but how much of your $10 goes to overhead and how much goes to NIL? If it's close to breaking even then why would you sign up there instead of just staying here? This is one of the most active sports forums left on the internet and it's free. It seems silly to convince people to pay to move "for NIL" and not tell them how much of that money actually goes to NIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom