zach Edey— Donovan Clingan | The Boneyard

zach Edey— Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
I love dc and hope he has watched the career of Zach edey. Zach is a complete fundamentally skilled player who has perfected his game by taking the time progress through extra years at Purdue. I think the nba missed on edey so far— but there will be no question this year as he goes top 10/15
He’s built his stamina conditioning to go 35 minutes and has learned to play without fouling. Dc is way behind him but I do think dc if he takes care of his body. Doesn’t rush to the nba can assert a game similar to edey and also develop into a player that is not only nba first rd but nba ready

Reaction Score
I love dc and hope he has watched the career of Zach edey. Zach is a complete fundamentally skilled player who has perfected his game by taking the time progress through extra years at Purdue. I think the nba missed on edey so far— but there will be no question this year as he goes top 10/15
He’s built his stamina conditioning to go 35 minutes and has learned to play without fouling. Dc is way behind him but I do think dc if he takes care of his body. Doesn’t rush to the nba can assert a game similar to edey and also develop into a player that is not only nba first rd but nba ready
You forgot ‘water is wet’

Reaction Score
Zach would go top 10-15 in the old NBA but in todays game he will be lucky to get drafted in the first round. He is too slow and not a good shooter for today's NBA game. DC game is more about movement and developing more of an outside game. He shouldn't model his game after Zach.

Reaction Score

I'm going to make some statements that will be controversial, but really shouldn't be:

Clingan can and should go to the NBA as soon as he's looking at guaranteed money. Any player should. He will get rich, develop faster, and get his S&C/health better in the league. There are rather few exceptions to this rule.

We don't like to admit we can't develop talent as well as an NBA organization here at the 'yard, but it's a cold hard truth. Players get unlimited practice time, unlimited S&C time, personal chefs, trainers that are ONLY trainers (not generalists like a college coach), etc. There's a reason why Andre learned to shoot as soon as he left UConn.

Edey will not go in the lottery. Too old, too slow, game too antiquated despite having outrageous college success.

They are very different players, despite both being really flippin' tall. DC's style of play is more suited to the league, and he's as young as many one-and-done freshman. His youth and skillset have GMs salivating.

Reaction Score
I'm going to make some statements that will be controversial, but really shouldn't be:

Clingan can and should go to the NBA as soon as he's looking at guaranteed money. Any player should. He will get rich, develop faster, and get his S&C/health better in the league. There are rather few exceptions to this rule.

We don't like to admit we can't develop talent as well as an NBA organization here at the 'yard, but it's a cold hard truth. Players get unlimited practice time, unlimited S&C time, personal chefs, trainers that are ONLY trainers (not generalists like a college coach), etc. There's a reason why Andre learned to shoot as soon as he left UConn.

Edey will not go in the lottery. Too old, too slow, game too antiquated despite having outrageous college success.

They are very different players, despite both being really flippin' tall. DC's style of play is more suited to the league, and he's as young as many one-and-done freshman. His youth and skillset have GMs salivating.
Spot on…nothing controversial IMO. In 2023 the 15th pick is guaranteed 7M. The team has options for year 3-4 for another 9.5M. Would be stupid not to leave.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I dont have the greatest track record of projecting guys to the NBA but Edey is painfully slow. Drafting him in the top 5 or 10 is too risky. He has major bust potential. I think hes out of the league before too long. Hes basically Thabeet 2.o except he has a better offensive game. Edeys type of big is obsolete. When healthy DC can run the floor, play above the rim and appears to have the ability to develop enough of a shot to hit from the outside.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Right now I'm thinking of the FB quote; "the best ability is availability".

Reaction Score
Edey most likely will never be an NBA all star....but he is a hell of a college player. Statistically one of the best ever. He is a game changer and has improved every year at Purdue. He was ranked the 425 pick in HS and will end up back to back NPOY. He has much better perimeter shooters and passers this year which makes him even more dominant in the paint. Clingan and Edey just different players on two great teams.

Reaction Score
Zach would go top 10-15 in the old NBA but in todays game he will be lucky to get drafted in the first round. He is too slow and not a good shooter for today's NBA game. DC game is more about movement and developing more of an outside game. He shouldn't model his game after Zach.
Agreed

Reaction Score
Donovan should be modeling his game after Walker Kessler not Edey to be productive in the NBA.
I personally think the nba discounted edey but come this draft he’ll get his due.He reminds me of Yao Ming and while the nba is faster and more spread out Zach is to good not to find a nice spot. 7-4 280 is a big man in a league that still makes use of them. Donovan is no way ahead of edey as of now but dc has a great deal to work with and would love to see him develop here rather than taking a chance as a second rd pick

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Edey impacted the game like Donovan as a sophomore, he woulda been a first round pick.

caw

Reaction Score
If Edey impacted the game like Donovan as a sophomore, he woulda been a first round pick.

Edey has a fantastic base and is really strong at holding position but his mobility and speed are just so slow compared to Clingan.

Reaction Score
#1: if we got a UConn Purdue matchup in final 4 that would be so epic and awesome.

#2: It was in Edey’s best interest financially to have already gone pro. He can’t really move up much. It doesn’t matter how good he is or how much he wins. The nba scouts have to bless you as “what they are looking for” to be a lotto pick. I don’t agree with it but no one wants to pick Edey as a lotto pick. If he wasn’t a lotto pick after last season at Purdue, it will never happen. He stayed, because he wants to win and prove people wrong.

#3: Clingan clearly has pro talent and pro teams will draft him, pay him and help him develop. But maybe Clingan would rather deceive lop,being a star at UConn rthater than in obscurity on some G league team. A think it is a lot more rewarding for a player to develop in college vs g league but Inhave no idea about financial aspects of those choices.

I apologize for the bold, it won’t disable.

Reaction Score
Zach Edey is without a doubt a better basketball player. The NBA draft doesn’t look for the best basketball player. It looks for the best fit to the modern game and the highest potential.

Walker Kessler was a first round pick 2 years ago. Clingan could have been last year. Edey didn’t sniff a 2nd round draft board. Nothing to do with skill, everything to do with fit

Reaction Score
Donovan is no way ahead of edey as of now but dc has a great deal to work with and would love to see him develop here rather than taking a chance as a second rd pick
In terms of how the NBA views them, DC is most assuredly ahead of Edey. And I’ve got good news for you, the chances of DC being a lottery pick are far higher than of him going in the second round. Everything DC needs to work on, he will be able to with the immensely superior resources at the NBA level.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Zach Edey is without a doubt a better basketball player. The NBA draft doesn’t look for the best basketball player. It looks for the best fit to the modern game and the highest potential.

Walker Kessler was a first round pick 2 years ago. Clingan could have been last year. Edey didn’t sniff a 2nd round draft board. Nothing to do with skill, everything to do with fit

Well, that's an interesting take.

Zach Edey is clearly the better player, NBA scouts just doesn't understand this, and it just happens to be he doesn't fit on to any team

Maybe that explains Purdue's early exits too. Their opponents just don't appreciate how good Edey really is, lest they would lose

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
In Zach Edey's first three NCAA Tournaments

As a 4 seed, they lose to 13 North Texas State in the first round

As a 3 seed, they lose to 15 St Peters in the S 16

As a 1 seed, they lose to 16 Fairleigh Dickenson in the first round

Seeded 1,3 & 4, they're 2-3 collectively, losing to a 13,15 and 16

PS: one of those wins was over the mighty Yale Bulldogs, so there's that

That's the epitome of overrated

Reaction Score
Well, that's an interesting take.

Zach Edey is clearly the better player, NBA scouts just doesn't understand this, and it just happens to be he doesn't fit on to any team

Maybe that explains Purdue's early exits too. Their opponents just don't appreciate how good Edey really is, lest they would lose
NBA scouts do understand it, but they’d prefer the mobile and athletic 7’2 lob threat over the immobile and slow 7’4 back to the basket guy, even if the 7’4 guy averages 10 more points and 5 more rebounds and is the NPOY. The modern NBA wants bigs to be athletic, not parked on the low block all game

Purdue are definite postseason chokers, but I doubt that’s too heavily considered in his draft stock. Brandon Miller shot like 20% in the tournament and went #2. Anthony Black shot 30% and went #6. Taylor Hendricks didn’t make the tournament and went #9. Sanogo destroyed everyone in his path to win the championship, was the best player in the tournament, and went undrafted because his style didn’t fit in the modern NBA. But no surprise he’s worked his way to performing anyway and is tearing up the G League. If he keeps adding modern NBA skills he’ll get real NBA minutes whereas Black and Miller already have them

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
#1: if we got a UConn Purdue matchup in final 4 that would be so epic and awesome.

#2: It was in Edey’s best interest financially to have already gone pro. He can’t really move up much. It doesn’t matter how good he is or how much he wins. The nba scouts have to bless you as “what they are looking for” to be a lotto pick. I don’t agree with it but no one wants to pick Edey as a lotto pick. If he wasn’t a lotto pick after last season at Purdue, it will never happen. He stayed, because he wants to win and prove people wrong.

#3: Clingan clearly has pro talent and pro teams will draft him, pay him and help him develop. But maybe Clingan would rather deceive lop,being a star at UConn rthater than in obscurity on some G league team. A think it is a lot more rewarding for a player to develop in college vs g league but Inhave no idea about financial aspects of those choices.

I apologize for the bold, it won’t disable.

A few bold takes there

Reaction Score
Glad to hear Coach say they will set up plays for dc. I’d like to see dc getting 8-12 opportunities a game at 25 minutes to diversify the offense which has gone down a notch last 2 games

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom