OT: - You want great ball-handling? | The Boneyard

OT: You want great ball-handling?

sun

Reaction Score
Another team similar to the Globetrotters was named the Fabulous Harlem Magicians that included ex-Globetrotter Marques Haynes.

Poster365.png

Here's a short skit that they did on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
And a laugh? I saw these guys in person when I was a kid

Meadowlark Lemon lived in Fairfield - I played with his son George in Little League but back then we all just rode our bikes to the games so I only remeber seeing Meadowlark a few times at games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meadowlark Lemon lived in Fairfield - I played with his son George in Little League but back then we all just rode our bikes to the games so I only remeber seeing Meadowlark a few times at games.

I loved Meadowlark!

Reaction Score
:cool:And a laugh? I saw these guys in person when I was a kid

I loved Meadowlark!
Thanks, Nan. A perfect diversion of a hot summer day!

I was lucky enough to see the Globetrotters once and the Magicians several times, and the Harlem Wizards came to my hometown multiple times for local fundraisers... they were always fun, but just not the show that Meadowlark and Curly Neal put on.

The 'Trotters were a must-watch maybe once a year on ABC's Wide World of Sports, too.

Probably known by some of you, Wilt Chamberlain preceded his NBA career (and even followed up for several more years during the off-season) by touring with the Golbetrotters. They apparently loved him, and it gave the young Wilt the chance to display his peerless skills while having fun with fans.

Great memories!:cool:

Reaction Score
I saw them play the UConn men in a pre-season exhibition game at the XL. UConn played seriously and won. The trotters goofed around until they realized UConn was really playing basketball. In the end youth was served and the trotters were unhappy.

How unhappy were they? Towards the end of the game UConn gets a rebound and throws it down court for a fast break. 8 players and the refs race down court. With no one watching the trotter center turns around and decks the UConn center. Might have been Jake Voskul (sp?). Not sure it was a long time ago before the pre-season game "Calhoun" rule was put into effect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom