OT: - You Like the Cover More Than the Original Song | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: You Like the Cover More Than the Original Song

Reaction Score
LeAnn Rimes - Crazy - Patsy Cline Tribute at ACA's in 2013

To me both LeAnn and Trisha versions are equal good.

Shortly after Diane Warren wrote the song, she ran into LeAnn Rimes at a restaurant. This was right after Rimes had just won the 1997 Grammy for Best New Artist, and was one of the hottest names in popular music. Warren told LeAnn Rimes she wrote “How Do I Live” with her in mind, and how it was going to be featured on a huge movie soundtrack. Whether this was embellishment to get LeAnn Rimes to bite and record the song or was the truth all along, it worked, and the 14-year-old Rimes was in the studio the very next day recording her version of “How Do I Live.”

However, when the LeAnn Rimes recording was presented to Touchstone Pictures, they thought the subject matter of the song wasn’t believable coming from a 14-year-old. They also felt the song sounded too pop for their liking. And so the decision was made to forgo the LeAnn Rimes version of “How Do I Live.”

Meanwhile, looking for a more country version of the song, Touchstone Pictures turned to another hot name in country music at the time: Trisha Yearwood. Completely unaware that LeAnn Rimes had recorded the song previously, Yearwood agreed to give it a crack herself. Though the Yearwood recording is sold as the “country” version of the song, the production and instrumentation was quite contemporary as well.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Speaking of Robbie Williams, he released a live recording back in 2001, singing Standards backed by a big band, at the Royal Albert Hall. Every song was great, here's just one example

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This song was written for a 1955 movie titled Unchained and the original was part of the movie. Three artists recorded the song in 1955 and they all hit the Top10. Four artists recorded it in 1956 and each was in the top 20. The definitive recording was made in 1965 by Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers. Over 1500 recordings have been made by over 670 artists. The Righteous Brothers recording enjoyed a new wave of popularity when it was featured in the 1990 movie Ghost.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The original was a huge hit. While I didn't dislike it, I prefer this you tube version.

Reaction Score
"You Light Up My Life" is a ballad written by Joseph Brooks, and originally recorded by Kasey Cisyk for the soundtrack album to the 1977 film of the same title. The song was lip synced in the film by its lead actress, Didi Conn.

However it is Debby Boone makes this song as #1 big hit.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Original...nobody even knows. Lost in antiquity. Lead Belly had an early recording of it, but it predates him. Been recorded endlessly, known by 2 different titles. I like this version, something different, and a bit creepy.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here's another original you may not have been aware of. "Aretha Franklin's sister Erma recorded "Piece of My Heart" for co-writer Bert Berns' Shout label in 1967. It was a Top 10 hit on the R&B chart but didn't get past No. 62 on the Hot 100. A year later, Big Brother and the Holding Company released it on 'Cheap Thrills,' where it reached No. 12 and went gold. Shortly afterward, Big Brother's lead singer, Janis Joplin, left the band.
You decide which version you like better.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Sticking with blues classics, this is the Doors doing Bo Diddley. Not only is it a brilliant rendition, it shows that the Doors were so much more than Jim, and they were a fantastic band even when thet weren’t relying on their songwriting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A little side track. Freshman year of college at Univ. of Puget Sound (Tacoma, WA), there was a jukebox in the dining room. Somebody played the Johnny Cash version of this at least once (and sometimes more) every single day for the entire year. Needless to say I heard it a few too many times. But I really dig this cover. Slow burn that sizzles by the end.

Reaction Score
Absolutely love Bruce Springsteen’s version of Jackson Cage. However, something about this version blows me away.

Reaction Score
God Bless the Child - Blood, Sweat, and Tears, original done by Billie Holliday.

This is one of those songs that I'm amazed at arrangement wise, I just adore it:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Personally, I feel Huey Lewis covers are among the best. Love this acappella version of the Impressions 1963 hit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom