Yo! Vacation pictures | The Boneyard

Yo! Vacation pictures

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hey, you guys, long time no see. It's been a rather crazy time this past month. My oldest kid graduated from college and moved (sob) to the Midwest, where he's landed a job. I just got back after going with him to drive his car out there and then getting furniture, etc for his new apartment.

Anywho, we had a long vacation in Europe between graduation and the move. Where have you guys gone off to? Any good vacation stories to share? Show me some pictures!

IMG_0280.JPG

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Empty nest?

I have a lot of Europe pics but most are 35mm. On our last trip to Italy we had a new digital camera. Unfortunately it got submerged in the Blue Grotto on Capri when our idiot boatman mistimed our exit. If you've visited the blue grotto you know what I mean. We lost all of our vacation pictures.

JS

Reaction Score
All this week . . . and last . . . and all summer . . .

My yard, with Lara the Great Pyrenees in the middle ground.

Love working in the yard, walking the dog on the forest trails.

That'd be my idea of an enjoyable vacation, if I had one.

But I don't call it that. I call it being semi-retired. And, as an uncle used to call himself, a home-boy.

upload_2017-6-19_0-12-40.png

Reaction Score
All this week . . . and last . . . and all summer . . .

My yard, with Lara the Great Pyrenees in the middle ground.

Love working in the yard, walking the dog on the forest trails.

That'd be my idea of an enjoyable vacation, if I had one.

But I don't call it that. I call it being semi-retired. And, as an uncle used to call himself, a home-boy.

View attachment 22959
Nice place; how many acres?

Reaction Score
Hey, you guys, long time no see. It's been a rather crazy time this past month. My oldest kid graduated from college and moved (sob) to the Midwest, where he's landed a job. I just got back after going with him to drive his car out there and then getting furniture, etc for his new apartment.

Anywho, we had a long vacation in Europe between graduation and the move. Where have you guys gone off to? Any good vacation stories to share? Show me some pictures!

View attachment 22944
Visiting the kids in Atlanta, we went to the Aquarium.

Attachments

• Manta.jpg
    Manta.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 88
Reaction Score
Wow, Nan: now that really is one very seriously grand vacation! all looks terrific. And despite losing your son to the Midwest (there are far worst places), congratulations on the graduation and on his landing a job so soon--no easy accomplishment these days.

We're off soon to places we've never been: parts of Austria, and then hiking in the Italian Dolomites and the Swiss Alps. I say "hiking," but at our age it's just enough of a walk to justify the thousands of calories we consume at dinner.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Matterhorn doesn't even look real, it's like a picture a kid would draw of a mountain. So impressive!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Just got back from Portland, OR. Will be headed off to South Africa and Victoria Falls in a few weeks on Safari, then to Truk (see Chuuk, Micronesia) for diving on wrecks in September!

Once you're done paying for education, the budget for travel expands accordingly!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We got home yesterday from several days on Lake Champlain. Mostly relaxing, a little fishing, bike riding and a couple of rounds of golf - my first golf in nearly 4 years.

His idea of vacation -
upload_2017-6-19_17-23-46.jpeg

Next couple of weeks Colorado, Napa and Monterey

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Nice place; how many acres?
More important - who has to mow it? :(

I did a rough calc a couple of years ago and figured that I've spent at least 3 months of my life on my lawn mower.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Welcome back!!! Many plans this summer:

July - Diving in St. Thomas (again)
August - Diving in Key Largo - a day tacked on to a work thing in Miami.
August - Portland/Seattle for two Storm games (lynx/stars) and some roller derby
August - New Orleans - for work, but I'm taking a swamp tour and staying an extra day in an airbnb.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Empty nest?

I have a lot of Europe pics but most are 35mm. On our last trip to Italy we had a new digital camera. Unfortunately it got submerged in the Blue Grotto on Capri when our idiot boatman mistimed our exit. If you've visited the blue grotto you know what I mean. We lost all of our vacation pictures.
I was underwhelmed by Capri, honestly. It was more touristy than the other parts of Italy we saw. The water was gorgeous, though.

IMG_0546.JPG

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow, Nan: now that really is one very seriously grand vacation! all looks terrific. And despite losing your son to the Midwest (there are far worst places), congratulations on the graduation and on his landing a job so soon--no easy accomplishment these days.

We're off soon to places we've never been: parts of Austria, and then hiking in the Italian Dolomites and the Swiss Alps. I say "hiking," but at our age it's just enough of a walk to justify the thousands of calories we consume at dinner.
The Matterhorn is in the Swiss Alps. If you go to Zermatt, bring your wallet. It was more expensive than Paris. Wine and beer are cheap, though, and you can pretty much get it 24/7.

You're right about the calories. My Fitbit tells me I walked between 12,000 and 22,000 steps a day and despite many loaves of heavenly bread, bowls of wonderful pasta, and a couple, ok a few, glasses of wine, I ended up losing weight. Yay me.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Welcome back!!! Many plans this summer:

July - Diving in St. Thomas (again)
August - Diving in Key Largo - a day tacked on to a work thing in Miami.
August - Portland/Seattle for two Storm games (lynx/stars) and some roller derby
August - New Orleans - for work, but I'm taking a swamp tour and staying an extra day in an airbnb.

Pennecamp is a great dive when the weather is right, but be sure to put Key West on your dive bucket list for future visits. The reef north and south of Sand Key is awesome as is the reef around Calder Light.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom