yikes - Keith Appling (MSU 2014) wanted for shooting death | The Boneyard

yikes - Keith Appling (MSU 2014) wanted for shooting death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Beat me to it, was going to post this last night. I thought at first he was part of that ‘09 team but it appears he was on the ‘14 team that we beat.

Reaction Score
I just read four articles and all say "male relative". Was it his father? Why can't they be more specific on the relationship? Get the facts journalists.

Reaction Score
Beat me to it, was going to post this last night. I thought at first he was part of that ‘09 team but it appears he was on the ‘14 team that we beat.
The 09 MSU team had those 2 guards Korie Lucious and Kalin Lucas. Don't know why I've always remembered their names lol

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Two reasons. Either don't know, or, next of kin is not notified.

There's actually a chance that Keith is the next of kin, which would be kind of wild.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t he already arrested a while ago for carrying around an ak47?

Reaction Score
That hood mentality never leaves certain dudes no matter the opportunities afforded to them. Keith Appling is one of them dudes, as some of y’all know growing up in the inner city/projects is a different animal, we see and experience things that we shouldn’t. I really wished that he woulda got out his own way, another 2 lives that are destroyed

Reaction Score
Sad, too many stories about athletes like this.
Not the case here. Appling is just an overall bad person since day 1. In addition to his past weapons charge, he also was accused of sexual assault back when he was at MSU. Believe the police/MSU said there was no evidence to believe it happened, but looking back on it given these past few crimes plus what was uncovered with MSU covering stuff up, I would pretty confidently say he did whatever at MSU too.

Guy deserves to be locked up plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Not the case here. Appling is just an overall bad person since day 1. In addition to his past weapons charge, he also was accused of sexual assault back when he was at MSU. Believe the police/MSU said there was no evidence to believe it happened, but looking back on it given these past few crimes plus what was uncovered with MSU covering stuff up, I would pretty confidently say he did whatever at MSU too.

Yeah, there's a difference between being caught up in drugs, or even doing dumb ish when you're a kid. This guy is 29 and has rape allegations, gun charges, drug charges, and now potentially murdered someone. You've gotta draw a line between product of your environment and bad person who needs prison time at some point.

I have 7 in-law siblings. 5 of them are felons from everything ranging from accomplice to murder to simple drug charges. I get this stuff--I'm as forgiving as anyone for being a product of where you grew up. Once you're a grown ass adult making grown ass decisions and you do things to hurt other people, you gotta draw the line.

Reaction Score
Yeah, there's a difference between being caught up in drugs, or even doing dumb ish when you're a kid. This guy is 29 and has rape allegations, gun charges, drug charges, and now potentially murdered someone. You've gotta draw a line between product of your environment and bad person who needs prison time at some point.

I have 7 in-law siblings. 5 of them are felons from everything ranging from accomplice to murder to simple drug charges. I get this stuff--I'm as forgiving as anyone for being a product of where you grew up. Once you're a grown ass adult making grown ass decisions and you do things to hurt other people, you gotta draw the line.
I don't suggest cheating on your partner... ever.

Reaction Score

I quibble with the use of the qualifier "bad" to describe a person to mean something other than said person being a product of his environment. Of course people who hurt others need to be prevented from doing so, but I am just pointing out that, in my opinion, there is no difference between a "bad" person and a person who does antisocial/violent things as a result of trauma during development.

Of course, it's all semantics, but I think it's important. If society sees criminals as "bad apples", it is sufficient to lock them up, throw away the key, and never think of them again. If society sees criminality as the result of preventable childhood trauma, maybe society will look for ways to reduce the likelihood of such traumas occurring in the future.

Reaction Score
I quibble with the use of the qualifier "bad" to describe a person to mean something other than said person being a product of his environment. Of course people who hurt others need to be prevented from doing so, but I am just pointing out that, in my opinion, there is no difference between a "bad" person and a person who does antisocial/violent things as a result of trauma during development.

Of course, it's all semantics, but I think it's important. If society sees criminals as "bad apples", it is sufficient to lock them up, throw away the key, and never think of them again. If society sees criminality as the result of preventable childhood trauma, maybe society will look for ways to reduce the likelihood of such traumas occurring in the future.

I am far from an expert on this topic. What I'm thinking of is the difference between say, my sister-in-law who was poor, 16, addicted to drugs since birth and was along for the ride when someone got murdered, then tried as an adult and locked up for 5 years. Or a 20-year-old brother-in-law selling drugs who illlegally has a gun he never uses for protection. Or guys robbing people for money... whatever. That's different than someone murdering somebody, along with having multiple other charges under their belt--that's a pattern of behavior, not a bad decision. Particularly when you start to consider his age. A 20-year-old is basically still a kid; heck, you could still be in juvie at that age.

At a certain point when you're hurting other people, you probably can be rehabilitated, but the potential benefit you offer society isn't worth the risk in allowing you out of the justice system for a long, long time depending on the crime. I'm not an expert and don't want to try to qualify who and when... but "bad" person probably wasn't the right descriptor.

Out of the 5 of my siblings-in-law that are felons, I would say that three are clearly "rehabilitated." One became an accountant after starting classes in lockup, and the other 2 own a mechanic shop together where they work on foreign cars. So the system works for some people, but it takes A LOT of support from family and friends during and after your stay in prison to make it happen. The social pressures to fail and commit more crimes are immense.

Now if we're going to talk about how the law treats felons outside of prison? Don't get me started. The parole system is ridiculous. The cost of paying parole officers, and the clowns that work in that system as a power trip can rot in a worse hell than the people they supervise. Housing laws that discriminate against felons have got to be a reason for half the recidivism rates in this country. Taking 1/3 of the money families send to prisoners in lockup is stupid. The cost of basic necessities like shoes in prison is stupid. I can't even start with how bad it is.

Reaction Score
I am far from an expert on this topic. What I'm thinking of is the difference between say, my sister-in-law who was poor, 16, addicted to drugs since birth and was along for the ride when someone got murdered, then tried as an adult and locked up for 5 years. Or a 20-year-old brother-in-law selling drugs who illlegally has a gun he never uses for protection. Or guys robbing people for money... whatever. That's different than someone murdering somebody, along with having multiple other charges under their belt--that's a pattern of behavior, not a bad decision. Particularly when you start to consider his age. A 20-year-old is basically still a kid; heck, you could still be in juvie at that age.

At a certain point when you're hurting other people, you probably can be rehabilitated, but the potential benefit you offer society isn't worth the risk in allowing you out of the justice system for a long, long time depending on the crime. I'm not an expert and don't want to try to qualify who and when... but "bad" person probably wasn't the right descriptor.

Out of the 5 of my siblings-in-law that are felons, I would say that three are clearly "rehabilitated." One became an accountant after starting classes in lockup, and the other 2 own a mechanic shop together where they work on foreign cars. So the system works for some people, but it takes A LOT of support from family and friends during and after your stay in prison to make it happen. The social pressures to fail and commit more crimes are immense.

Now if we're going to talk about how the law treats felons outside of prison? Don't get me started. The parole system is ridiculous. The cost of paying parole officers, and the clowns that work in that system as a power trip can rot in a worse hell than the people they supervise. Housing laws that discriminate against felons have got to be a reason for half the recidivism rates in this country. Taking 1/3 of the money families send to prisoners in lockup is stupid. The cost of basic necessities like shoes in prison is stupid. I can't even start with how bad it is.
You and I are on the same page. I just thought I'd throw my two cents in hopes that it might encourage people to think a little more deeply about it next time they classify someone as bad. My post was not meant to shame you or @FlippinCrazy!

Reaction Score
Lots of people making excuses for generally bad dudes. Instead of simply saying this is a bad person who has seemingly been a major repeat criminal, causing deep pain and hurt, people make excuses saying its someone else's fault / kid never had a shot / bad environment garbage. He knows right from wrong and went with wrong. Didn't care about how his actions impacted others. For these criminals, people make all sorts of excuses. Classic Liberal thinking.

Reaction Score
You and I are on the same page. I just thought I'd throw my two cents in hopes that it might encourage people to think a little more deeply about it next time they classify someone as bad. My post was not meant to shame you or @FlippinCrazy!
I understand what you’re saying and definitely agree it’s not clear cut. Also acknowledge I’m not an expert on this at all (especially as a grad that majored in math). But my opinion is that, regardless of what contributed to it, a person is a bad person if they are one. They may have totally understandable circumstances that led to them being that way, but regardless if they’re out here raping and killing people, then they’re bad people. Also, I will say I totally believe in people changing themselves. The fact that this guy (likely) committed two of the most violent crimes in a decades span, I would say that’s not suggesting much progress.

And maybe “bad” isn’t the right word, just using it out of ease (and because I don’t have a big vocab hah) given we’re posting on a basketball forum.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope your family all pulls through

Reaction Score
Lots of people making excuses for generally bad dudes. Instead of simply saying this is a bad person who has seemingly been a major repeat criminal, causing deep pain and hurt, people make excuses saying its someone else's fault / kid never had a shot / bad environment garbage. He knows right from wrong and went with wrong. Didn't care about how his actions impacted others. For these criminals, people make all sorts of excuses. Classic Liberal thinking.
You see, @husky429? This is what I was talking about.

@mustafa, if you think I am saying that a criminal should not be held accountable, and, if they are a danger to others, kept away from those he or she might harm, you are wrong. I am saying that we should think about the circumstances that give rise to violent crime and how we might avoid or mitigate them in the future. We need to walk and chew gum at the same time, or else we will continue to throw money and lives away needlessly.

Reaction Score

Ha, what a clown. Gotta add that last line to confirm you're a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom