Yet another KO thread............... | The Boneyard

Yet another KO thread...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For all the criticism KO received this year(a good majority of it was certainly justified), lets highlight what makes KO such a special coach. Clearly its not his X's and O's, which he can get better at, but its his incredible ability to not only relate to these kids but his continued support and belief in them. That's special stuff. Lets rewind to the UCF game. KO sat DHam for the majority of the first half and he committed his third unacceptable turnover. Fine, most coaches would do the same. But it was what happened after that. As I sat across from the UConn bench, I can vouch that as DHam reappeared in the game, most of Gampel rallied behind this kid but one person stood out by a mile. Yep, KO. He was animated in his support for the kid. In a game where the outcome was fairly certain, it was remarkable to me how supportive KO was. It was genuine. It was his way of showing DHam there were in this together. It was because of that that I strongly feel we are seeing this. Only KO. X's and O's aside, UConn is lucky to have him.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
For all the criticism KO received this year(a good majority of it was certainly justified), lets highlight what makes KO such a special coach. Clearly its not his X's and O's, which he can get better at, but its his incredible ability to not only relate to these kids but his continued support and belief in them. That's special stuff. Lets rewind to the UCF game. KO sat DHam for the majority of the first half and he committed his third unacceptable turnover. Fine, most coaches would do the same. But it was what happened after that. As I sat across from the UConn bench, I can vouch that as DHam reappeared in the game, most of Gampel rallied behind this kid but one person stood out by a mile. Yep, KO. He was animated in his support for the kid. In a game where the outcome was fairly certain, it was remarkable to me how supportive KO was. It was genuine. It was his way of showing DHam there were in this together. It was because of that that I strongly feel we are seeing this. Only KO. X's and O's aside, UConn is lucky to have him.
I agree it's not his X's and O's. I do not remember when KO drew up a play and it worked. Always 20 seconds on the clock, we have the ball going across mid court, then a time out.
Draw one up. Either it is a turnover or a total breakdown. The kids are good enough to get the rebound and get down court on their own. They do way better moving the ball around.
That is my only concern about KO. Yes he relates well with his players.

Reaction Score
I rate coaches in four areas: teaching; recruiting; X-O's and, motivation. I give KO high marks in recruiting and motivation, but while most HC's came up as assistants, he had 13 miserable and wasted years doing something else. :)

Reaction Score
He pretty much killed back to back coach of the aac in their head to head. Fran tried to covertly operate small ball but Ollie wasn't afraid to downsize and start targeting Miller and tell folks to crash the glass. He's also been running Hamilton through various solid off ball stuff and all while finally utilizing him as a screener with Adams.

I would like for him to be quick with the brimah for Nolan sub; brimah should be waiting to check in @ the 17:00 latest. I do like the rotation though; it's nothing like January -Feb when KO was throwing at a wall and seeing if it would stick

Reaction Score

Yet another KO thread that states KO is not a good "X's and O's" coach and then never actually provides an analysis as to why the poster believes KO is not a good "Xs and O's" coach. Once again this is another KO post, like many of the others, that analyses male cheerleading skills as opposed to coaching skills. The top comments on KO's coaching are consistently:

1. He doesn't yell enough at the refs
2. He sits down too much
3. He is not animated enough

Yes I understand that the OP tried to provide a positive post about KO, but the OP makes sure to take a shot at KO's actual coaching skills.

KO spent four years of college as Calhoun's point guard (the coach's general on the floor), KO spent 13 years in the NBA having spent time with some of the most brilliant "X's and O's" coaches in the NBA, KO was handpicked by Calhoun to be the next Coach and I assure you Calhoun knows a thing about X's and O's and would not have selected KO if Calhoun believed he was not good at drawing up plays or running offensive and defensive schemes. KO has out-coached Izzo in both of their match ups, out-coached Billy Donovan in all 3 of their matchups, out-coached Jay Wright, Fred Hoiberg, and many other great coaches.

KO may have a BA from UCONN but he has a PHD in basketball. KO knows more about coaching than all of us here on the BY combined. Enough with this KO lacks in the X's and O's part of coaching. Many here were wrong about KO's recruiting and many continue to be way off on KO's coaching ability.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree it's not his X's and O's. I do not remember when KO drew up a play and it worked. Always 20 seconds on the clock, we have the ball going across mid court, then a time out.
Draw one up. Either it is a turnover or a total breakdown. The kids are good enough to get the rebound and get down court on their own. They do way better moving the ball around.
That is my only concern about KO. Yes he relates well with his players.

You can't remember when KO drew up a play and it worked???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the hell were you doing in that huddle? looking at the babes in the stands? talking to the trainer on the side? Christ, if you warrant a uniform the least you can do is pay attention.

Its remarks like that one that leaves me speechless at how utterly stupid some sound at times. Like those who know what KO thinks, what he says at practice, what he says to recruits, etc.
So many experts with so very little real information

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ollie has things to improve upon, there's no question. But we've now been eligible for the postseason three times in Ollie's career, and three times now Ollie has had this team playing at its highest level in the postseason. Even last year, there's a great chance we beat SMU in the title game if Boat doesn't hurt his shoulder. As long as that trend continues, I feel very good about the state of the program.

Reaction Score
Yet another KO thread that states KO is not a good "X's and O's" coach and then never actually provides an analysis as to why the poster believes KO is not a good "Xs and O's" coach. Once again this is another KO post, like many of the others, that analyses male cheerleading skills as opposed to coaching skills. The top comments on KO's coaching are consistently:

1. He doesn't yell enough at the refs
2. He sits down too much
3. He is not animated enough

Yes I understand that the OP tried to provide a positive post about KO, but the OP makes sure to take a shot at KO's actual coaching skills.

KO spent four years of college as Calhoun's point guard (the coach's general on the floor), KO spent 13 years in the NBA having spent time with some of the most brilliant "X's and O's" coaches in the NBA, KO was handpicked by Calhoun to be the next Coach and I assure you Calhoun knows a thing about X's and O's and would not have selected KO if Calhoun believed he was not good at drawing up plays or running offensive and defensive schemes. KO has out-coached Izzo in both of their match ups, out-coached Billy Donovan in all 3 of their matchups, out-coached Jay Wright, Fred Hoiberg, and many other great coaches.

KO may have a BA from UCONN but he has a PHD in basketball. KO knows more about coaching than all of us here on the BY combined. Enough with this KO lacks in the X's and O's part of coaching. Many here were wrong about KO's recruiting and many continue to be way off on KO's coaching ability.
Lets not lose focus on how this team is playing now, but clearly you did not see most of Jan and Feb. If you did, then you are simply trying to argue.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the h-ll is going on, or why this is happening, and I'm not sure whether KO is some sort of genius where I'm not even close to being smart enough to know what he's doing, but . . .

. . . please sir, may I have some more?

oliver-twist_3324271b.jpg

Reaction Score
While most correctly think this team underachieved during the regular season, another way to look at it is Ollie had a team that didn't even sniff the NCAA tournament without the auto bid last year and I think finished in the 70s or 80s in the RPI. He also lost the his best player, point guard and top 3 player on a national championship team. He then brought in a bunch of new high level transfers and recruits, and is on the verge of moving the team into the top 30, and that's with Gibbs coming in as a pg, but really being a 2 guard. We needed the entire year for Adams to grow into his current role. It's not up to Uconn standards yet, but there is an upward trajectory here, and Uconn stills seems to have that march magic that Calhoun coached teams had.

Reaction Score
Funny how bad a coach you are when your players don't make shots and how much you improve when they start making those same shots. If Hamilton had played like this all year we'd have a few more Ws at least and probably be ranked.

Reaction Score
He has done a great job, so far*, of getting the team prepped to shoot free throws late in the season. While this may seem like a minor thing, it was a key to our 2014 run. We wouldn't have gotten past Cincy on Friday without it.

Being able to reliably knock down "freebies" late in a big game requires mental toughness, ingrained form, and conditioning. A few Calhoun teams struggled with the ability to do this and suffered for it.

* "so far" added to prevent jinxing.

Reaction Score

I will add that the real context is that he is a brand new Head Coach. There is a learning curve coming with mistakes, poor decisions and inexperience and other negatives. Just saying that many have expectations of him as if he is a seasoned coach. He is far from it, no matter who is surrounded with or the quality of teachers he had playing basketball.

I say in 10 years (yes 10!) he can be fairly evaluated. Until then its obvious to me he ain't a bad coach and is full of potential. I just learned yesterday and created a thread that in his 3 years of Head Coaching in the AAC he has reached the AAC finals all 3 years. That proves he has 'it'! The year we were banned he was showing his talent winning in Germany and producing a 20+ win season in a meaningless year.

Furthermore he can relate to his players and commands their respect (just on resume alone). So sure he could do better and but conversely 'much' worse.

Reaction Score
He has been great last 2 games milking SG at the pt and PN starting center. Giving just enough time to rest JA and let Brimah come in later saving fouling time.

Reaction Score
Lets not lose focus on how this team is playing now, but clearly you did not see most of Jan and Feb. If you did, then you are simply trying to argue.

Coaching is not like shooting where you go in slumps. The years of knowledge and know how that KO has observed, executed (as in played the game himself as a player), learned, and refined does not just simply disappear for 2 months and then come back when the team is playing well.

Once again you provide no actual analysis of KO's coaching skill. In your original post you say that KO is "clearly not an X's and O's coach", but you provide no basis for it, then in your last post once again you say "clearly" I missed January and February, as in KO's coaching deficiencies areso obvious that I must not have watched the team for a two month period. Can you please let me know how KO lacks as a X's and O's coach? I am sure it will not be difficult for you since its so "clear."

What is clear is that yesterday KO drew up a great double screen play Gibbs coming out of a time out in a key moment that led to Gibbs hitting a big 3 to change the momentum back in UConn's favor. Yesterday I saw Memphis, the team that leads the entire country in transition points, completely get shut down in their transition game. I saw KO masterfully work substitutions for the big men who were all in foul trouble at15 min mark of the 2nd half but ended up with no one getting fouled out. I saw KO stick to a lineup without Adams that led to our best offensive play for a 10 minute stretch (even though most here thought our offensive woes could be remedied by simply playing Adams more).

It was not just yesterday either. I saw KO outcoach Cronin, Dunphry, and Pastner in 3 days. KO has always been excellent basketball mind. I hope the conference tournament ends the debate as to whether or not KO is a good X's and O's coach. I know it won't be if someone continues to state that KO is not a good X's and O's coach please, please, please provide some actual analysis instead of saying "its obvious", or he doesn't shout at the refs enough, or he sits down too much!

Reaction Score
Coaching is not like shooting where you go in slumps. The years of knowledge and know how that KO has observed, executed (as in played the game himself as a player), learned, and refined does not just simply disappear for 2 months and then come back when the team is playing well.

Once again you provide no actual analysis of KO's coaching skill. In your original post you say that KO is "clearly not an X's and O's coach", but you provide no basis for it, then in your last post once again you say "clearly" I missed January and February, as in KO's coaching deficiencies areso obvious that I must not have watched the team for a two month period. Can you please let me know how KO lacks as a X's and O's coach? I am sure it will not be difficult for you since its so "clear."

What is clear is that yesterday KO drew up a great double screen play Gibbs coming out of a time out in a key moment that led to Gibbs hitting a big 3 to change the momentum back in UConn's favor. Yesterday I saw Memphis, the team that leads the entire country in transition points, completely get shut down in their transition game. I saw KO masterfully work substitutions for the big men who were all in foul trouble at15 min mark of the 2nd half but ended up with no one getting fouled out. I saw KO stick to a lineup without Adams that led to our best offensive play for a 10 minute stretch (even though most here thought our offensive woes could be remedied by simply playing Adams more).

It was not just yesterday either. I saw KO outcoach Cronin, Dunphry, and Pastner in 3 days. KO has always been excellent basketball mind. I hope the conference tournament ends the debate as to whether or not KO is a good X's and O's coach. I know it won't be if someone continues to state that KO is not a good X's and O's coach please, please, please provide some actual analysis instead of saying "its obvious", or he doesn't shout at the refs enough, or he sits down too much!
First off, don't confuse coaching with having a better team. What did KO do to out coach Cronin in game 1? If you want to give KO credit for beating Temple, what about the game in Philly? Better yet, what about the first loss to Cincy? KO for some unknown reason chose not to give a foul with 12 seconds left. It cost them the game. Not a single coach in America would have done that. So, if you are such a X and O expert, why don't you give us concrete examples of how the criticism he has received, especially for Jan and Feb, isn't warranted.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't know what the h-ll is going on, or why this is happening, and I'm not sure whether KO is some sort of genius where I'm not even close to being smart enough to know what he's doing, but . . .

. . . please sir, may I have some more?

To bring back some old mojo:

5996ab02f69dfaa4ed831a7f76865fab.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He has done a great job, so far*, of getting the team prepped to shoot free throws late in the season. While this may seem like a minor thing, it was a key to our 2014 run. We wouldn't have gotten past Cincy on Friday without it.

Minor thing? That's one of the major reasons we one in 2014. We closed out almost every game that way. Best free throw percentage ever in NCAAs iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom