Yale: I am hoping it is more than an anomaly | The Boneyard

Yale: I am hoping it is more than an anomaly

Reaction Score
These guys just went 2 years at 9-1. It is a complete anomaly for a Ivy to Play a FBS. You can find Towson, UNH, URI, Fordham and Holy Cross on Ivy Schedules and it is an absolute outlier for this game to happen. However ...

Ivy Football has come up in the world. They have bigger lines; the coaching staffs aren't inbred Ivy guys going back & forth - which is the way it was a decade ago; and you will see Major California, Texas, Florida high schools on their rosters. They get kids that would not think about that school not too long ago.

Yale was a 9 win team because this kid Rawlings (QB) threw the ball over the park. They have 7 games against other Ivy. And they are a solid program. However ... Rawlings is gone; the 2 major WR from 2019 are gone; the backup QB O'Connor was a major FBS recruit out of Orange County CA and he seems to have left. They will come into East Hartford ... and it won't be our first game.

I hope we play Yale as often as possible. I dunno. This CFB world is about regional competition and YES ... I would rather beat Yale than SMU. I read the scheduling battle ... and I do want UMass, Temple, Buffalo, Army and Navy in with more Rutgers, Syracuse, BC and Maryland. Holy Cross was tough for us a few years ago in a first game. But, Holy Cross will play 2 FBS some years; and BC often. This Yale hasn't seen a UCONN ... and we should be far better than 2 years ago.

Reaction Score
Ivy Football has come up in the world.
_______

The Ivy coaches have figured out that since a kid from a financially challenged family the recruit can attend the school with 100% financial assistance and graduate with an Ivy League degree.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with playing Yale as long as its the only FCS game in a season. Two FCS games is a scheduling failure. It's fine that it happened this year because there wasn't much time to plan ahead, but if two FCS games becomes a yearly occurrence its not good. If the last game announced for 2022 is an FCS game it will be very disappointing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In a perfect world, Yale, Harvard, Penn, & Dartmouth would go FBS & pair up with UConn, UMass,, BC, Syracuse, & Rutgers. It's not happening. Just Beat the crap out of the Elis to prove that UConn is the top dog in the region.

Reaction Score
These guys just went 2 years at 9-1. It is a complete anomaly for a Ivy to Play a FBS. You can find Towson, UNH, URI, Fordham and Holy Cross on Ivy Schedules and it is an absolute outlier for this game to happen. However ...

Ivy Football has come up in the world. They have bigger lines; the coaching staffs aren't inbred Ivy guys going back & forth - which is the way it was a decade ago; and you will see Major California, Texas, Florida high schools on their rosters. They get kids that would not think about that school not too long ago.

Yale was a 9 win team because this kid Rawlings (QB) threw the ball over the park. They have 7 games against other Ivy. And they are a solid program. However ... Rawlings is gone; the 2 major WR from 2019 are gone; the backup QB O'Connor was a major FBS recruit out of Orange County CA and he seems to have left. They will come into East Hartford ... and it won't be our first game.

I hope we play Yale as often as possible. I dunno. This CFB world is about regional competition and YES ... I would rather beat Yale than SMU. I read the scheduling battle ... and I do want UMass, Temple, Buffalo, Army and Navy in with more Rutgers, Syracuse, BC and Maryland. Holy Cross was tough for us a few years ago in a first game. But, Holy Cross will play 2 FBS some years; and BC often. This Yale hasn't seen a UCONN ... and we should be far better than 2 years ago.
Many times doesn't mean too much, but 2 weeks after the outcome of UConn vs. Holy Cross in their first game, it'll be interesting to see how The Cross fares down in New Haven vs. Yale September 18 which will be Yale's 1st game.

Reaction Score
I do agree that playing our yearly FCS game with an in state school makes perfect sense. Keep the money in state. Better to give Central and Yale a payday than Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
It's an attempt to re-engage the state by playing all the local teams. USCGA would be on near future schedule if they played D1 out of SE CT.

Reaction Score
If at Yale, a kid does not and is not tackled during practice throughout their school career. A safety choice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A Yale FB coach was quoted recently as telling the players. "You guys aren't here to study!" UConn better be ready!

Reaction Score

… and they are also adjusting to not playing in 2020 on top of limited practices/team activities last year.

Reaction Score
we aren't gonna do 2 FCS again ... did that have to be said?
We can count one qualifying FCS game a year towards bowl eligibility. But pretty sure games vs Ivies aren’t qualifying games bc the Ivy League doesn’t award athletic scholarships.

So I don’t think there are many Yale games in our future. And if we do happen to play them, I assume there’d be another FCS on our schedule that year.

It’s too bad. Agree it would be fun to play Yale semi-regularly as our FCS. The NCAA 90% scholarship rule is dumb as applied to the Ivy League.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom