Yahoo: Ugly title game won't be the lasting memory of this NCAA men's tournament | The Boneyard

Yahoo: Ugly title game won't be the lasting memory of this NCAA men's tournament

Reaction Score

Quote from the article:

If you weren’t a UConn or San Diego State fan and you had sense, you turned the TV off at halftime Monday night so your retinas weren’t permanently scarred by the ugly display of basketball – if you can call what they were playing basketball.

Reaction Score
Why does this bother people? If you deeply care about who wins a game, you don’t care about the game’s aesthetics. You care who wins. Period. If you don’t have an emotional stake in the game, then you do care how “good” a game it was.

The game wasn’t a great watch. Neutrals who missed it aren’t going to need to rush to see it. If, however, you’re a UConn fan, why in the world would you care how aesthetically pleasing the game was to others, or what other people thought of it?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It was referee whistle practice in 2nd half. Aggravating.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Weird article. There’s been plenty of uglier final four and championship games. Admittedly, uconn was part of that in the 2011 championship game. This isn’t comparable.

Yeah, if anybody knows about ugly, unwatchable-to-the-public title games, it's us!

Reaction Score
Must be a Southern Canada Community College grad
Funnily enough I looked up the author on LinkedIn and she’s a Marquette alum lol

I’m unbothered by all the talk, though. Let’s assume that all the worst things everyone is saying is true. Let’s UConn did have a lucky road to the finals, didn’t have to play any good teams (lol), played a boring game, etc etc….at the end of the day UConn is the national champions. That’s all I care about

Reaction Score
Florida/UCLA (73-57) was a brutal watch and I don't recall Florida/Ohio St (84-75) being much better. UNC/MSU (89-72) wasn't nearly as good of a matchup as UNC/UConn would have been.

MSU over Florida (89-76) and Nova over Michigan (79-62) was uglier IMO, even if there was more scoring in both.

Not every title game can be Nova/UNC (77-74) or UConn/Duke (77-74) and that is ok.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, if anybody knows about ugly, unwatchable-to-the-public title games, it's us!
Haha… And being lucky. Don’t forget about that.

I could not care less about the sour grapes of fans of other teams. I much prefer the sweet taste of our sustained success.

Reaction Score
"It was the lowest-scoring title game since 2015, and UConn wouldn’t have cracked 70 points if not for that flurry of free throws in the final 90 seconds."

UConn made 5 free throws in the final 90 seconds. They scored 76 points...
Lololoool

Reaction Score
Hey, SDSU was a tough defensive team- tall, active hands, physical- a lot like us, in fact. It wasn’t supposed to be easy, but I thought it was great how UConn handled it. Yes UConn had turnover trouble especially when they had chance to really blow the game open, and SDSU had trouble scoring as predicted (UConn had everything in the world to do with that). I loved UConn hitting their 3’s enough and driving to the basket aggressively. Especially on the defensive end, UConn was really strong, switching quickly, just swarming the SDSU players and grabbing rebounds.

Reaction Score
Haven’t we learned anything over the years? Media needs to make hot takes and controversial headlines to get clicks.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The writer is entitled to an opinion. Even if the writer is clueless about the kind of game two really good defensive teams produce. So if UConn makes 3 more bunnies they wind up with over 80. Both teams got to where they were through D. The wide open offenses got bounced in this tournament. Obviously it’s fun to see big underdogs win games or to have a last secobd shot win a game. But that was not futile basketball by a long set shot yesterday. Final score, UConn 2, KState O, UCLA 0, Kansas O, Kentucky 0, Alabama 0, Purdue O, etc. Great basketball.

Reaction Score
We basically played a really good Cincinnati team that scrapped their whole way to this game. Obviously it wasn’t going to be some beautiful game; every game they played up to this point was ugly as hell.

This must’ve been written by a Cuse or Duke fan

Reaction Score
Weird article. There’s been plenty of uglier final four and championship games. Admittedly, uconn was part of that in the 2011 championship game. This isn’t comparable.
I always like to say this about 2011: 4 UConn starters missed the last third of the 1st half when they all got 2 fouls. UConn went scoreless and missed every shot.

In the 2nd half, UConn shot 50% until the final seconds when they heaved one at the end of the shot clock as they killed time.

Butler shot horribly bad. But so did the super efficient offensive teams that preceded them, like Kentucky, Arizona, etc. UConn had a legendary defense that year.

Reaction Score
Funnily enough I looked up the author on LinkedIn and she’s a Marquette alum lol

I’m unbothered by all the talk, though. Let’s assume that all the worst things everyone is saying is true. Let’s UConn did have a lucky road to the finals, didn’t have to play any good teams (lol), played a boring game, etc etc….at the end of the day UConn is the national champions. That’s all I care about
While I agree, I'm struggling to find the team UConn would've lost to. Purdue? Houston? Alabama?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom