Yahoo spitting the truth (regarding March Madness) | The Boneyard

Yahoo spitting the truth (regarding March Madness)

Reaction Score

From the article:

16. Big Ten’s NCAA tourney futility. While Conference USA has been the surprise hit of 2023 March Madness, the Big Ten has played its familiar role of postseason bust. Of eight Big Ten teams invited to the NCAA Tournament, only one, Michigan State, even reached the round of 16.

15. A recurring Big Ten trend. Over the last three NCAA Tournaments, Big Ten teams have received 26 bids. Those 26 bids have combined to yield one team — Michigan in 2021 — that made it as far as the Elite Eight. Michigan State in 2000 remains the most recent Big Ten team to win an NCAA title.

14. The lesson that should be drawn. In a fairer system, C-USA’s postseason success in 2023 and the Big Ten’s continued NCAA Tournament futility would spark soul-searching over how NCAA tourney fields are selected and seeded. There is far too much inclusion of power-conference mediocrity and too little at-large-bid representation of excellence from “smaller leagues.”

13. A rigged system. That won’t happen because the selection process, with its metrics-based reliance on “Quad 1 wins,” is designed to favor the power leagues over “the little guys.”

Certiantly some merit to my post made several weeks ago:

I think the performance, just from this year alone, of Florida Atlantic, San Diego St, Princeton, Fairleigh Dickinson, etc. really solidified the belief that mid and even low majors deserve more respect over the continued over valuation of....other teams. You don't even need years prior to this to see that, but if you used previous years, it further strengthens that case.

Reaction Score
No Big Ten team has won a national championship in the last 20+ years and there has been only one national champion since the 1980s, 34 years ago. Even the football-first SEC has produced 6 national champions in those same 34 years.

Reaction Score
I think the best teams should get in regardless of what conference they are in. Since the mid-majors don't play the top conferences much, it's hard for the top teams in those conferences to prove that they are one of the top 40 or so teams in the country. When they have the few chances per year to prove it, they have to prove it.

Reaction Score
I watched a great vlog yesterday that said the Big 10 fails to succeed in the NCAA Tournament because the teams basically play the same style. When they get to the NCAA Tournament, they aren't prepared for different kinds of teams. It said that the Big East has more diversity in style of play and said the Big 10 needs new coaches with different styles to come in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The writer is claiming the Big 10 is wildly overrated every year. Really going out on a limb there.
That's one reason I don't favor an expanded tournament. It would mean more Big 10 teams. A Big 10 team was the biggest whiner about not getting in.

Reaction Score
I always believed that Uconn could end up in the B1G to prop up both the men's and women's basketball programs.

I know that football drives the bus, but adding the men's and women's basketball programs as well as all of the other athletic programs would be an instant boon for the B1G

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The writer is claiming the Big 10 is wildly overrated every year. Really going out on a limb there.
Honestly, it takes guts for someone in the National Media to actually say it out loud…

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Honestly, it takes guts for someone in the National Media to actually say it out loud…
Most years, perhaps. But I've already heard a few "I'm a Big 10 guy but..." I also heard someone talk about the SEC having a "BB summit" a few years ago to improve the conference. Does anyone remember this? Maybe the Big 10 should try one.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I watched a great vlog yesterday that said the Big 10 fails to succeed in the NCAA Tournament because the teams basically play the same style. When they get to the NCAA Tournament, they aren't prepared for different kinds of teams. It said that the Big East has more diversity in style of play and said the Big 10 needs new coaches with different styles to come in.
Mick should clean up when UCLA gets there.

Reaction Score
Most years, perhaps. But I've already heard a few "I'm a Big 10 guy but..." I also heard someone talk about the SEC having a "BB summit" a few years ago to improve the conference. Does anyone remember this? Maybe the Big 10 should try one.
The takeaway was pay more to hire good coaches and it worked. SEC has best coaches too to bottom of any conference. I’d put BE second.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
No Big Ten team has won a national championship in the last 20+ years and there has been only one national champion since the 1980s, 34 years ago. Even the football-first SEC has produced 6 national champions in those same 34 years.
Big Ten = Big Overrated or Big Bias or Big Fail, I mean the list is endless once you start think about it. Not sure any one thing frosts me more in college bb than having to watch the selection committee favor this conference year after year. This year they actually got me thinking Purdue was better than they were. The only argument against the conference being overrated is their KenPom rating. But if the NCAA was even considering that they did not apply it to UCONN. Let’s just go with the Big Overrated Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom