XL Center | The Boneyard

XL Center

Reaction Score
I've followed the XL Center discussions a bit (and UConn in general). I've read that it needs $250M in renovations and I've read of the general negative feelings to the surrounding Hartford area.

It's been many years since I visited the XL. I think it is still a great arena and I just can't imagine it needing $250M in renovations.

The sight lines are great. Good layout, as good as you can hope for in a hockey arena. Seat backs for all of the seats. Decent streets, bars, and restaurants in the area. Clean.

I've been to a lot of arenas. XL isn't a top arena, but it's a pretty damn good venue. I don't understand the negative press on XL.

Reaction Score
I've followed the XL Center discussions a bit (and UConn in general). I've read that it needs $250M in renovations and I've read of the general negative feelings to the surrounding Hartford area.

It's been many years since I visited the XL. I think it is still a great arena and I just can't imagine it needing $250M in renovations.

The sight lines are great. Good layout, as good as you can hope for in a hockey arena. Seat backs for all of the seats. Decent streets, bars, and restaurants in the area. Clean.

I've been to a lot of arenas. XL isn't a top arena, but it's a pretty damn good venue. I don't understand the negative press on XL.
The game watching part of the arena is ok. It's the concourse, restrooms and basketball team that leave everything to be desired.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't listen to spoiled @whaler11 if he is not in a club box with Greek Columns being fed grapes and rum and cokes by Mediterranean goddesses in togas then a venue is " uncomfortable"

Rolling with a Villanova troll. Solid look.

I never thought a building could be described as ‘unlucky’ but man that place can’t catch a break.

Reaction Score
The game watching part of the arena is ok. It's the concourse, restrooms and basketball team that leave everything to be desired.
The concourse and restrooms are very secondary, imo, to inside the arena. And even the concourse isn't that bad. Anyway, as a visitor I thought it's a pretty good venue in a decent setting. I can't imagine it needing $250M. I think it needs better PR.

Reaction Score
Some of it is things behind the scenes. Deferred maintenance. Previous articles have quoted management talking about unable to make major repairs because the equipment no longer exists, or parts aren't available because the company producing them went out of business years ago.
So the next step would be building a new arena which is prohibitively expensive in an environment during a state budget crisis.
Providence renovated the Dunkin Donuts Center 15 years ago with support of the legislature. New chillers and ice making, new luxury suites. The red lower bowl seats, which had been around since the opening (and many were broken) were replaced. The issues described about XL Center such as concourse and bathroom issues also existed at the Dunk and were fixed.

Reaction Score
The concourse and restrooms are very secondary, imo, to inside the arena. And even the concourse isn't that bad. Anyway, as a visitor I thought it's a pretty good venue in a decent setting. I can't imagine it needing $250M. I think it needs better PR.
Hey I've had to piss in the sink at the old Shaffer Stadium. As long as the restrooms at XL are reasonably clean and the urinals flush what more do fans want? What a bunch of whiny sissys. XL is fine for our purposes.

Reaction Score
Some of it is things behind the scenes. Deferred maintenance. Previous articles have quoted management talking about unable to make major repairs because the equipment no longer exists, or parts aren't available because the company producing them went out of business years ago.
So the next step would be building a new arena which is prohibitively expensive in an environment during a state budget crisis.
I mean, it's a building, not a timepiece. I can't buy that spare parts require a whole new building.

Renovate it for a small fraction of what has been requested.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Rolling with a Villanova troll. Solid look.

I never thought a building could be described as ‘unlucky’ but man that place can’t catch a break.

Such unlucky bounces off those long rebounds early on. They bounce the right way and it's a different game

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
[

Hey I've had to piss in the sink at the old Shaffer Stadium. As long as the restrooms at XL are reasonably clean and the urinals flush what more do fans want? What a bunch of whiny sissys. XL is fine for our purposes.

Someone didn’t go to the Wichita game....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When is Whaler11 going to invite me into the box seats?

I sit with the hoi polloi at XL. Above the students with degenerate gamblers. We leave a nice cushion because most people aren’t impressed by $100 odd/even bets or someone swearing at their phone watching an A-10 game.

I ate a bunch of club football seats this year, but didn’t know until the last second much of the time. It’s tough to invite people because it’s usually just a single and most people don’t go alone. But I’ll start blasting you guys via PM when my wife decides something is more important than UConn/Tulsa.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Such unlucky bounces off those long rebounds early on. They bounce the right way and it's a different game

Two biggest problems today:

Unlucky on the defensive glass
The message the team got when the kid with the broken face got to play without practicing.

Reaction Score
Two biggest problems today:

Unlucky on the defensive glass
The message the team got when the kid with the broken face got to play without practicing.
Unlucky on the defensive glass or not willing to break out of a 2-3 zone that leaves shooters open and opposing players left to grab offensive rebounds?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
XL Center "needs" a $9m upgrade.

It can use another $100m or so in upgrades.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Providence renovated the Dunkin Donuts Center 15 years ago with support of the legislature. New chillers and ice making, new luxury suites. The red lower bowl seats, which had been around since the opening (and many were broken) were replaced. The issues described about XL Center such as concourse and bathroom issues also existed at the Dunk and were fixed.
Thanks for the info on the updates to the PCC we were all craving. I’m sure the Huskies appreciated them tonight.

Reaction Score
Sarcasm aside it is a discussion. Similar markets and dilemmas.
Since PC's new coach season tickets shot up, therefore guaranteed revenue, along with the popular Providence Bruins as a tenant for 25 years.
Nate Leman wouldn't come to PC unless the upgrade Schneider Arena. After many years of mediocrity PC is a top 10 hockey team.
I mentioned the improvements because At the time the Dunk was badly in need of renovation or forever obselence. The improvements also brought NCAA regionals with it. People here complained about XL amenities.
Personally IMO UCONN goes back to playing all their games at Gampel with regional dates at Mohegan and Bridgeport for alumni who don't want to drive to Storrs. I don't see XL as a long term solution. Efforts to renovate UCONN'S hockey arena will ensure they stay in the premier hockey conference.

Reaction Score
Personally IMO UCONN goes back to playing all their games at Gampel with regional dates at Mohegan and Bridgeport for alumni who don't want to drive to Storrs. I don't see XL as a long term solution
I was expecting much worse yesterday, from what I've read. After yesterday, I can't imagine abandoning the XL.

Reaction Score
The XL isn't a horrible venue for what it is used for. But at 45$ a clip for a ticket people want something more than the aging bulding offers. The luxury boxs are above the jumbo tron which makes them useless. Also many of the hallways of the concourse are just too small and need to be expanded. It's not the worst venue for a college team but as a main venue it's extremely in need of work. The locker rooms are nasty. Athletics training rooms are out of date. And to many causal fans if you're gonna fight through Hartford traffic for a game, you need something better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom