Xavier post game thread. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Xavier post game thread.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The first half was ugly and Xavier was pumped. Once we settled in in the second half and Xavier ran out of gas, the Huskies ran away with the game.
True. Even in the first half, they go up by 10, and our guys out score them by 11 the rest of the half. I really think it does make a difference at the beginning that they played the day before. This is the 2nd game in a row where we got blown away in the first several minutes and then wound up cruising. Probably not an opening you want too often, but this team can really turn the screws defensively while the O figures it out. This seems like one of those teams that is really hard to beat if you haven’t played them before, obviously hard even for most teams that have played them.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s off base with that at all. We have 4 out of our starting 5 that are not very athletic. If Cam and Newton were just average or slightly plus athletically we’d be talking about two more 1st rounders.

He's just being obtuse. It's alright though, at least it's a few more posts in the thread. Our post-games have been boring this year because the morons only show up after losses.

Reaction Score
We looked pretty blah and shot it poorly and still won by 27. On to the next one.

Reaction Score
after that first half I thought this was going to be a redux of the Seton Hall tourney opener in 99, that 2nd half was impressive. Tristen said they were gonna fix things at the half and blow them out in the 2nd and that's what they did.
I'm way too comfortable watching this team. I wouldn't have even taken much notice if we went down 20-0 today. If Clingan stays on the floor and we stay healthy I'm not worried.

Reaction Score
29-3.Big East Regular Season Champs with the most wins in BE history.#1 seed in BET and likely for NCAA Tournament. And people are complaining about our non-athletic team? Give me a break.

All they do is win games
Don't think anyone is complaining. Love our team and they could all be YMCA rejects as far as I'm concerned. Think you are reading too much into a comment that was made.

Reaction Score
Felt a lot closer than a 27-pt win but that’s what happens when you’re really good.

Reaction Score
29-3.Big East Regular Season Champs with the most wins in BE history.#1 seed in BET and likely for NCAA Tournament. And people are complaining about our non-athletic team? Give me a break.

All they do is win games
Hey, I ain't complaining. I think it's a marvel how these guys can outplay teams that have better athletes. Cam outplays almost every better athlete he goes up against and I love watching it.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Where is the Samson love? It may have been one of his best games. This staff does such a good job helping players improve on their weaknesses. He is such a better rebounder than he was mid season. He gets back so quickly on his hedges. He is so long and quick that he is very effective on defense at disrupting flow. When he comes in it’s like fastball after a guys been throwing changeups all game. Donovan started slowly it’s ok the team that played the night before usually comes out quicker in these tournaments. But Samson had his back. He is very athletic for those in this thread complaining about our lack of athleticism. There are not too many guys in college that are 6’10” with a +7ft wingspan who are as athletic as him. I love the way he guides the ball in when he does not have the angle to dunk a lob pass. Only I thing I will mention is free throws…….but eh how can you complain about anything this team does?

Reaction Score
Less athletic than our opponents? That’s a head scratcher for me. That can’t be a realistic take after seeing this team for 32 games..
Team isn't super athletic, though they aren't slow. But, Karaban, Spencer and Newton are big and skilled. The only super athlete in the starting 5 is Castle, and he doesn't rely on it. The only player on team who relies on athleticism rather than skill is Johnson.

They have average athleticism team wise, at least in their rotation. Stewart, Ball, Ross bring more quickness and explosiveness to the table.

Reaction Score
Team isn't super athletic, though they aren't slow. But, Karaban, Spencer and Newton are big and skilled. The only super athlete in the starting 5 is Castle, and he doesn't rely on it. The only player on team who relies on athleticism rather than skill is Johnson.

They have average athleticism team wise, at least in their rotation. Stewart, Ball, Ross bring more quickness and explosiveness to the table.

Believe we are spoiled. We think that someone less a freak isn't athletic. You don't have to be Andre Jackson to be athletic. As the announcer said about Clingan today, he moves like a much smaller person. That's code for he is athletic for his size.

Reaction Score
Underdiscussed, but this also keeps us alive for the #1 overall seed, which could easily fall into our laps if we win two more and Houston and Purdue stumble.
We’re less than a point behind Houston on Kenpom now, defense up to 12 and offense almost 1

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Maybe I just have reading comprehension issues but I don't see anyone complaining. All I see is people impressed by how good UConn looks even if they're not super athletic
It is a comprehension issue. It must be my writing style as it is that way for you on most things I post. Can’t help with that not that I would care to. I did not read every post just scanned and it seemed people were saying that about our athleticism. I said it in passing as a way to illustrate and not harp on the comment. But we did shoot 55% from the line. Perhaps you can find something to point out negatively in that sentence. Oh and rest time has nothing to do about how games are scheduled in tournament. But you didn’t say that did you. Troll away….

Reaction Score
Just a few unaltered quotes they said about us and…”irregardless” is not a word
UCONN definitely came out flat having not played yet and X took advantage...now the game starts.

If they want to spot us 10, I’ll take it!

End the game now!

Cam Spencer gets away with a lot of bs.

Very afraid of a big UConn run to start the second half. Hopefull a good first four minutes.

uconn is clowning us right now. they know they are much better and just playing with their food

its over. just don't get blown out

UConn's second half shots are all from one foot away. Just physically manhandling us.

We're out of our league against these guys.

From 10-0, they outscored us 87-50. That's probably a fair representation of the difference between the quality of the two teams.

Irregardless of what posters think about the level of Xavier talent this year, everyone should acknowledge that UConn has better talent across the board compared to just about any other team in the country. Not just superior talent but experience and the ability to play together as a team too. In the 2nd half they consistently put X players in positions where they had to choose which player to guard in a 2 on 1 situation. Then they made the correct pass or drive to defeat the X defense. They could play each other 10 games in a row and I believe that UConn would win every one of them.

I've heard a number of analysts now mention that UCONN is even more talented than they were last season. I have to agree with them, and you.

Reaction Score
It is a comprehension issue. It must be my writing style as it is that way for you on most things I post. Can’t help with that not that I would care to. I did not read every post just scanned and it seemed people were saying that about our athleticism. I said it in passing as a way to illustrate and not harp on the comment. But we did shoot 55% from the line. Perhaps you can find something to point out negatively in that sentence. Oh and rest time has nothing to do about how games are scheduled in tournament. But you didn’t say that did you. Troll away….
My post has nothing to do with you, if it did I would have quoted you...

Reaction Score
The offense in the 2nd half was poetry! When they move the ball like that they almost never take a bad shot and nearly unstoppable.

The slow starts need to stop though, it will end up costing us if it continues.

Reaction Score
Solid response after being down 10-0. Our depth really shined today with 6 players scoring 10+.

It is concerning UConn has had two slow starts in a row. FT shooting is a concern, especially SJ’s FT.

It is dangerous to spot lesser teams a lead and give them hope. Need to crush their will right out of the gate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom