WTNH - Fate of XL Center uncertain as possible sale explored | The Boneyard

WTNH - Fate of XL Center uncertain as possible sale explored

Reaction Score
The legislation requires the request be issued no later than June 30, 2019. But it will likely be released this spring, said Michael Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Regional Development Authority. The authority is a quasi-public agency created by the General Assembly to manage various Hartford development projects, including the XL Center, which is owned by the city.

At this point, the number of potential buyers for the arena is questionable.

“I think we’re fooling ourselves if we think it’s going to be a dramatic bidding process,” said Freimuth, noting the roughly 40-year-old structure is “dated and it’s tired” and still requires a major investment beyond the $40 million.

If there’s no buyer, state and city officials will have to decide what to do next with the complex, including its’ possible closure.

Fate of XL Center uncertain as possible sale explored

One of the most hotly debated topics over the years - us playing at the dreaded XL/HCC and cries for every game to be at Gampel - may become a reality. Personally, I doubt it will close but it's a development to keep an eye. Our current attendance numbers certainly won't be a source of excitement for potential buyers.

Reaction Score
There was 3,800 at Gampel the other night . So go ahead take the games out of Hartford that will work out well. But then again, winning cures everything.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We need a few years of economic growth to create increased tax revenues so the state can afford to invest in a new building.

A new and modern building can and will be utilized for many different activities.

The XL Center is a relic

Reaction Score
Closing XL is slamming the door in the face of progress. The state needs to replace it or renovate it, use a penny tax to pay off other debt and create a business friendly environment.

By closing XL you literally set Hartford back another 15-20 years to turn itself back into a major economic hub. Salvage everything you can of what was once a great American city and start finding ways to make it better than ever. I’ll never understand killing off an arena like that when other cities are dying to have one. Look forward to repair and regrowth instead of constantly accommodating failure and downsizing. That state truly is falling apart and really pisses me off the ways that people try to fix the problems. Downtown Hartford without a handful of events at XL each month will result in the closure of all the remaining restaurants. Good grief.

Lack culture and opportunity? Close the 15k seat downtown arena.

Businesses leaving? Raise taxes.

State U turning into a near Ivy League School? Reduce funding.

Idiots. It doesn’t matter if you have the money when you can borrow it or tax for it. The issue is how to properly choose which things are a waste of time and effort. How to choose what to invest in and what not to. XL is about as worthwhile an asset as a city can have long term.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Connecticut is a basket case. It's amazing how mismanaged it has been for years. Intentions do not equal good policy. Raise taxes -> business leaves -> revenues are short -> raise taxes -> people and business leave ->

Reaction Score
Connecticut is a basket case. It's amazing how mismanaged it has been for years. Intentions do not equal good policy. Raise taxes -> business leaves -> revenues are short -> raise taxes -> people and business leave ->

Bingo. That’s why the state needs sales tax earmarks with very specific purposes. I know people love to put the idea down but taxes are the only way to create revenue. The taxes must be gentle on the residents and irrelevant to business for the most part. That is sales tax.

The first governor that puts in a sales tax that pays the bills and eliminates debt, then cancels the tax as promised, will be the most credible political hero in generations.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the people raising the taxes. Blame the people who vote for them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Kansas really took off after implementing supply side. amirite?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kansas really took off after implementing supply side. amirite?

Kansas has other problems in competing for business. Connecticut has pissed away several advantages it has.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just like everything related to UConn athletics, had they gotten into the ACC I don't think this would be an issue.

Even though everyone doesn't want to believe it, UConn needs Hartford more than Hartford needs UConn and AAC Basketball.

Reaction Score
It's certainly one of the biggest dumps in the state. Entirely unfit for a pro or semi-pro sports outlet.

C

Chief00

Other than it being totally mismanaged - I kind of like it. Maybe it’s a dump - even after the most recent $100 million fix up - but it can be a real good home court when it’s rocking.

Reaction Score
I love the groaning pipes in the men's room, it sounds as if the plumbing for the entire arena is on the verge of going super-critical.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I love the groaning pipes in the men's room, it sounds as if the plumbing for the entire arena is on the verge of going super-critical.
Reason #237 to hold it when at XL.

Reaction Score
Bingo. That’s why the state needs sales tax earmarks with very specific purposes. I know people love to put the idea down but taxes are the only way to create revenue. The taxes must be gentle on the residents and irrelevant to business for the most part. That is sales tax.

The first governor that puts in a sales tax that pays the bills and eliminates debt, then cancels the tax as promised, will be the most credible political hero in generations.
Only going to get a lot more ugly with the elimination or capping of SALT deductions. When the idiots in Hartford put in the income tax the rationale was it was only a few percent and it was offset by the federal income tax deduction. With at best income tax and local property tax deductions capped at 10k, we are all going to get hammered even more. The only hope we have is radical tax reform by major reduction in taxes, and run deficits and grow the state economy to build the tax revenue base from new growth. Expect property values to drop and more people who can to be leaving. We are so screwed, most have no idea.

Reaction Score
Closing XL is slamming the door in the face of progress. The state needs to replace it or renovate it, use a penny tax to pay off other debt and create a business friendly environment.

By closing XL you literally set Hartford back another 15-20 years to turn itself back into a major economic hub. Salvage everything you can of what was once a great American city and start finding ways to make it better than ever. I’ll never understand killing off an arena like that when other cities are dying to have one. Look forward to repair and regrowth instead of constantly accommodating failure and downsizing. That state truly is falling apart and really pisses me off the ways that people try to fix the problems. Downtown Hartford without a handful of events at XL each month will result in the closure of all the remaining restaurants. Good grief.

Lack culture and opportunity? Close the 15k seat downtown arena.

Businesses leaving? Raise taxes.

State U turning into a near Ivy League School? Reduce funding.

Idiots. It doesn’t matter if you have the money when you can borrow it or tax for it. The issue is how to properly choose which things are a waste of time and effort. How to choose what to invest in and what not to. XL is about as worthwhile an asset as a city can have long term.
I don't think the XL is that bad. Hartford and the surrounding area needs the venue.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The CEO of Aetna CVS said that Hartford needs to be a vibrant city to attract business to Connecticut. Closing the XL, and the creating a dead zone in the middle of the city, is a step in the wrong direction.
fify

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom